Texas Tech is moving forward with the vet school

136,578 Views | 712 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by DifferenceMaker Ag
Rocagnante
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not an official Tech thread until we get Kyle's take on this.
MooreTrucker
AG
monarch said:

I'm in Lubbock now and was listening to AM790 (local version of KTRH 740) and this afternoon, the on air announcer was discussing this topic, indicating that TAMU had "beaten Tech to the punch" and then admitted that Tech's effort to build the vet school was well intentioned, but "...underestimated the strength and pull that TAMU has in Texas."

This is a local guy mind you, talking on tt's sports flagship station.
Just FTR, AM790 is a news station, not a sports station. And NOT the "sports flagship" station at all.
Rocco S
monarch said:

I'm in Lubbock now and was listening to AM790 (local version of KTRH 740) and this afternoon, the on air announcer was discussing this topic, indicating that TAMU had "beaten Tech to the punch" and then admitted that Tech's effort to build the vet school was well intentioned, but "...underestimated the strength and pull that TAMU has in Texas."

Dock?
Andy?
Andy Farmer
That was pre budget meeting, holmes.

We got $5 mill coming our way.

Gonna raze all of NE Amarillo w that **** and build an empire.
ttu_85
mulch said:

I graduated in 2002 and have split my working years between Semiconductors and industrial oil and gas sales. Lived in Austin and Houston and sell all over the state. Not once have I ever crossed paths with a TBAT grad in a working environment or seen their Xerox degree in a frame. I'm being 100% honest when I ask what the hell do they all do for work?
So you telecommuted from your moms basement ? Cool.
ttu_85
Fogburn95 said:

Not an official Tech thread until we get Kyle's take on this.
He has relapsed into depression from his ttu girlfriend running off with a new man. That hurts but wasn't that like 12 years ago ?
goodAg80
AG
Rocco S said:

monarch said:

Dock?
Andy?

D*ck?
Aggie1
AG
http://amarillo.com/local-news/news/2017-02-24/texas-tech-regents-vote-not-pursue-amarillo-vet-school

Quote:

Quote:
Texas Tech will not pursue funding for a school of veterinary medicine in Amarillo for the next two years, changing the status of the project from on pause to halt.

The Texas Tech University System board of regents voted Friday after executive session on five issues discussed within the closed meeting including the veterinary school.
Aggie1
AG
http://politics.blog.mystatesman.com/2017/03/03/in-battle-over-veterinary-school-texas-am-routs-texas-tech/

lengthy discussion in the Statesman...
HeyMoe
AG
Hadn't kept up with this thread but let me guess....tard was told by A&M to go home and get their frikkin' shine box....right?
AGinHI
AG
Aggie1 said:

http://politics.blog.mystatesman.com/2017/03/03/in-battle-over-veterinary-school-texas-am-routs-texas-tech/

Most recent comment

Quote:

A&M is insanely jealous of Tech. Tech has long had two medical schools for people (Lubbock and El Paso) and a top rated law school. Tech was the first university in the USA to offer a combined MD-MBA. The Ivy League has followed suit. A&M has been trying to play catch-up for decades. They started a medical school ten years after Tech. A&M bought a law school in Ft. Worth (Texas Weslayan) in 2013, Tech founded its own law school about 1970. Only in veterinary medicine does the Agrucultural & Mechanical College of Texas have an edge on Tech. A&M will not even play a Texas football team next season...A&M is a bunch of foreigners no longer much of a part of Texas.
AggieTFA06
AG
Texas Tech should also be working on getting off of probation with the academic accreditation agency.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
BiochemAg97
AG
AGinHI said:

Aggie1 said:

Most recent comment

Quote:

A&M is insanely jealous of Tech. Tech has long had two medical schools for people (Lubbock and El Paso) and a top rated law school. Tech was the first university in the USA to offer a combined MD-MBA. The Ivy League has followed suit. A&M has been trying to play catch-up for decades. They started a medical school ten years after Tech. A&M bought a law school in Ft. Worth (Texas Weslayan) in 2013, Tech founded its own law school about 1970. Only in veterinary medicine does the Agrucultural & Mechanical College of Texas have an edge on Tech. A&M will not even play a Texas football team next season...A&M is a bunch of foreigners no longer much of a part of Texas.

Funniest part of that is the whole law school thing. As I understand it, A&M was denied by the higher education coordinating board multiple times because "we don't need more lawyers". Much the same situation tech finds itself in now over the vet school. Only there isn't a vet school for tech to buy.
Andy Farmer
AggieTFA06 said:

Texas Tech should also be working on getting off of probation with the academic accreditation agency.

We aren't on probation, dumbass.
Rocco S
Damn right you're not get em Andy!
AggieTFA06
AG
If I recall, Texas Tech landed on probation with the accreditation agency back in 2008. SACSCOC won't make a review of your program until 10 years later which is 2018.
Andy Farmer
Wrong. They went on probation in 2007 and were cleared in 2008.
Rocco S
Set that **** straight Andy
AggieTFA06
AG
Andy Farmer said:

ok, I stand corrected. You were once on probation but got out. However, in higher ed. circles, Texas Tech is considered a cautionary tale of how to end up on probation.

Please don't give me an STD.
goodAg80
AG
He's judging your meat as we speak
Andy Farmer
AggieTFA06 said:

Andy Farmer said:

ok, I stand corrected. You were once on probation but got out. However, in higher ed. circles, Texas Tech is considered a cautionary tale of how to end up on probation.

Please don't give me an STD.

Agree there. Damn embarrassing and someone lost their job over it. President maybe.

Lungblood
Double secret probation, no doubt.
Aggie1
AG
http://amarillo.com/local-news/news/2017-04-04/texas-house-approves-575m-tech-vet-school-amarillo

Posted April 7, 2017 04:01 pm - Updated April 8, 2017 12:33 am

Quote:

Quote:
The Texas House on Friday approved a state budget that included millions in state funding for a new Texas Tech school of veterinary medicine in Amarillo, but the school's future still remains unclear.

The spending plan provides $5.75 million over the next two years. The number is short of the $16.75 million that the Texas Tech University System requested to build the school, which it has estimated to cost $80 to $90 million.

The university system announced the vet school project in December 2015, and has said it would use an innovative approach to solve a shortage of large-animal, rural veterinarians in the state. But a tough budget year for lawmakers in Austin stalled those efforts.

While providing a glimmer of hope that the project will get back on track, the funds still have to survive a reconciliation process with the Senate, which has passed a budget that doesn't include any money for the vet school.

Tech's plans have displeased Texas A&M University System, which has the only school of veterinary medicine in Texas.

The A&M System has told lawmakers there is no need for a second school because Texas A&M University is developing a "pipeline" to bring students from regional schools, like WT, to College Station where a massive new veterinary teaching complex has opened.
CanyonAg77
AG
Why are they giving them nearly six million dollars to poop off? It's not enough to do anything toward their vet school pipe dream, beyond hire more lobbyists.
MooreTrucker
AG
AGinHI said:

Aggie1 said:

Most recent comment

Quote:

And in 3 short years, A&M's law school has passed Tceh's in the rankings.
BiochemAg97
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Why are they giving them nearly six million dollars to poop off? It's not enough to do anything toward their vet school pipe dream, beyond hire more lobbyists.

I guess for 6 mil they can spend the next two years having architects draw up building plans and pay someone to look at feasibility and curriculum and figure out what it will really cost.

Dumb thing is when they come back in two years begging for lots more money, then some politicos will probably say "well, we already spent 6 mil on this. We better keep spending or that 6 mil will be wasted."
CanyonAg77
AG
In my experience, that's how Tech has usually operated. They wheedle money out of the Lege to put up a building, then come back later for operating cost, professors, etc.

"Hey, we have this building, we need to use it!"
rocketscience
AG
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=85R&Bill=HB2242

A&M Kingsville may get congressional approval to put together a vet school.
SigChiDad
AG
What is wrong with these people.
twk
AG
CJHajda said:

When will people learned that a filed bill is no indication that the legislation is going to be enacted?
CanyonAg77
AG
twk said:

CJHajda said:

When will people learned that a filed bill is no indication that the legislation is going to be enacted?
Exactly. Snowball's chance in hell.
BiochemAg97
AG
Seems odd that, after fighting Tech over the need for a second vet school, the A&M BOR would even consider one in Kingsville.

Hard to see why someone would even submit the bill. Well, other than political pandering to the local voters.
The Original AG 76
AG
twk said:

CJHajda said:

same ones that think its a " congressional" bill...
Over 5000 bills filed in a typical leg session of which a minuscule number even see a committee hearing much less a floor vote.
CanyonAg77
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

Hard to see why someone would even submit the bill. Well, other than political pandering to the local voters.
Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.
nu awlins ag
AG
Quote:

Tech has long had two medical schools for people (Lubbock and El Paso)
El Paso? Really? Pharmaceutical grade salsa I guess?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.