Texas Tech is moving forward with the vet school

136,582 Views | 712 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by DifferenceMaker Ag
gwellis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Texas A & M said:

I've read a lot on this topic since this debate started. It's clear that vet schools are losers for universities. How many other colleges are trying to start one? None.

They drain money, add no prestige, and produce grads with significant debt that earn mediocre salaries. It would not pain me to see TAMU get out of the veterinary education business all together.

Tech is positioned in a rural region serving rural needs. Let their niche be agriculture and veterinary education. TAMU will continue growing in the fields of engineering, medicine, law, business, computer and information sciences, biological and biomedical sciences, social sciences, etc.
Im sorry but I disagree wholeheartedly. Mediocre salaries for vets? Have you not seen all the new vet hospitals popping up around the state with boarding and grooming and the like? Vets are building Million dollar facilities and are banking. Small animal vets are big business. We built a new clinic with boarding where the luxury suites have TVs for the Dogs. Let that sink in. For the dogs to watch tv while boarding. People pay over a 100 dollars a night for one of those suites. Vets have diversified their services and become a one stop shop. You would not believe the number of kids going out of country to get vet degrees. My Stepson's fiance went all the way to Vet School in St. Kits and is now a vet in Denver. It's next to impossible to get into our Vet School and there is obviously a large supply of Students wanting to become vets, so why not meet the demand in state?

I understand that some old school large animal vets don't do as well , but quite a few do.

As for having A&M cede the Agricultural role to Tech, that is blasphemy. Do you even know what the A stands for in our name? Do you even know how many Agricultural Degrees are earned every year here? Surely you realize the Brazos Valley is rural and we are the Leaders in Agriculture for a reason. I can't fathom how anyone would even suggest for A&M to even consider getting out of the Agricultural and Veterinary fields so Tech can have a niche.

Aggies are sought after for their drive and work ethic in every field taught at our University. Our Poultry Science id a world leader. Our Swine dept is second to none. Our Beef Cattle dept. has been a world leader for decades. Ask row crop farmers about A&Ms contribution to production and efficiency. Our Agricultural Economics dept. is second to none. Think about the advances made in Genetics through our Agricultural College.

Didn't mean to post such a long post, but no we will not cede our place in the Agricultural and Veterinary fields to anyone.
Gil '91
SEC 2012
TAMU bball fan said:

Texas A&M is smart to focus on educating students to fill 21st century jobs, for example, at the new Facebook, Apple, and Amazon offices in Austin rather than in the dying towns in the panhandle.

The tech industry growth in Austin and Dallas is insane. Keep the vet school small and elite and let Tech educate the rest. Use the extra resources to invest in the computer science department and other fields that are actually growing.
SEC 2012
FWIW - Chancellor Sharp admitted the vet school is a money pit. Maybe Tech is doing A&M a favor. Scale back the vet school and reallocate the resources.

Quote:

If there is one thing Texas taxpayers should know, it is this: Veterinary education, if done well, requires significant investment. From outside gifts and downright subsidies, we have subsidized our veterinary school millions of dollars every year. So, yes, we are concerned about diluting state appropriations when there is no real need to do so.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2018/06/28/texas-doesnt-need-another-veterinarian-school
Aggie1
AG
It seems to me the level of care (the Canadian model) is the equivalent of the level being taught at WT.
I don't understand why the citizens of Amarillo are not more supportive of WT and it's capabilities?
To follow WT has the space and resources to surpass anything presently being considered by TTech.
And, then for additional training at a real graduate level medical center they are sent to the tertiary Vet Center at College Station to get the "rest of the education and requirements" to become a fully servicing licensed Veterinarian - whose credentials will never be questioned anywhere in the world.

TTech seems to me to be wanting to focus on large animals before getting a full discipline load of what a "real" vet has to know to become licensed.

An analogy would be M.D.
To become a licensed MD the student has to make the rounds through all the specialties and later focus on a speciality. Only then as a resident can they focus on surgery or orthopedics or urology or internal etc.

Same for Attorneys. A full range of all types of cases must be studied before focusing - after passing his Boards - whatever area they want to focus in i.e. civil or criminal defense or prosecution etc.

Same for architects. After Boards and licensing an architect can focus on schools or healthcare or high rise etc but not before being exposed to all kinds of design projects.

Etc

It seems to me TTech wants to focus on cows and horses (?) and forget about the other nearly 300 species that is required for a real veterinarian.

In medicine those who don't go all the way become physician assistants or nurse practitioners or any one of specialties like optometry or physical therapy etc - good at what they do but not full fledged M.D.'s

I guess a graduate of this program TTech is advocating would br called a Veterinarian assistant or vet practitioner or some such but not a real Veterinarian in the strict sense of what it means to be able to service any living creature short of Homo sapiens...

It seems to me Those who flunk out of the programs at A&M or OSU or Kansas State etc would be in the same class as the proposed Canadian model TTech graduate... but NOT a "real" licensed Veterinarian.

If that's all anyone wants they can get that at the existing program at WT.
BiochemAg97
AG
SEC 2012 said:

FWIW - Chancellor Sharp admitted the vet school is a money pit. Maybe Tech is doing A&M a favor. Scale back the vet school and reallocate the resources.

Quote:

If there is one thing Texas taxpayers should know, it is this: Veterinary education, if done well, requires significant investment. From outside gifts and downright subsidies, we have subsidized our veterinary school millions of dollars every year. So, yes, we are concerned about diluting state appropriations when there is no real need to do so.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2018/06/28/texas-doesnt-need-another-veterinarian-school

So basically no different than any other part of the university. Have you looked into the outside gifts and subsidies (state funds) that go to the engineering school?
Andy Farmer
Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Bucketrunner said:

Does that count the oil field "workers" and families that move from place to place? Is there a building boom in upscale housing in most of the towns?

I do recognize that most of the smaller towns are declining in pop but places like Amarillo and Lubbock (and Midland Odessa and the like) are absorbing those declines.

That's not real growth, you doofus. It's migration to bigger cities, making them even bigger while towns around them die. You're arguing against your own original point but don't realize it.

Did i say anywhere that they are growing exclusively because of the drop of pop in rural locations? No? Kthx.

Plus, I said prior that the High Plains had grown at 4pct between 2010 and 2017.

Dumbass.
Bucketrunner
Small West Texas towns, where large animal vets are really needed, are shrinking and fading away for the most part. But perhaps lower level vet practitioners like tech would produce, would be willing to live like that.
cottonpatchag
AG
Two things to consider:

1. As a wise old man told me, at the girlie show they don't show you everything right up front. This is just the beginning of a revenue stream for Tech. They will next say they need to expand to cover the small animals as well.

2. If you put " so I can sell my practice and retire" on the end of every sentence of support giving by an rural vet, ot makes alot more sense. If you, Dr TTUVET, can purchase a practice in Gail and get your wife from Park City with a fashion design degree to move and stay with you, hats off to you my friend.
Cuterebra
AG
cottonpatchag said:

Two things to consider:

1. As a wise old man told me, at the girlie show they don't show you everything right up front. This is just the beginning of a revenue stream for Tech. They will next say they need to expand to cover the small animals as well.

2. If you put " so I can sell my practice and retire" on the end of every sentence of support giving by an rural vet, ot makes alot more sense. If you, Dr TTUVET, can purchase a practice in Gail and get your wife from Park City with a fashion design degree to move and stay with you, hats off to you my friend.
There is absolutely no chance they ever get accredited without a broad curriculum that includes small animals.

There is no special accommodation that I am aware of to get around this. The AVMA COE would reject unless it has small animal included from the start.
Flexbone
Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Bucketrunner said:

Does that count the oil field "workers" and families that move from place to place? Is there a building boom in upscale housing in most of the towns?

I do recognize that most of the smaller towns are declining in pop but places like Amarillo and Lubbock (and Midland Odessa and the like) are absorbing those declines.

That's not real growth, you doofus. It's migration to bigger cities, making them even bigger while towns around them die. You're arguing against your own original point but don't realize it.

Did i say anywhere that they are growing exclusively because of the drop of pop in rural locations? No? Kthx.

Plus, I said prior that the High Plains had grown at 4pct between 2010 and 2017.

Dumbass.

It doesn't matter what you said the reason for the growth was. You didn't give a damn reason being because you have no idea what it is. But that IS THE REASON.
Andy Farmer
Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Bucketrunner said:

Dumbass.

It doesn't matter what you said the reason for the growth was. You didn't give a damn reason being because you have no idea what it is. But that IS THE REASON.

So much stupid.
Flexbone
Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Bucketrunner said:

Did i say anywhere that they are growing exclusively because of the drop of pop in rural locations? No?

Dumbass.

So much stupid.

You are such an oblivious moron. READ YOUR OWN POST. You're so turned around stupid you can't see how idiotic your post is. Read the bold. So what if you didn't say this? You NOT saying has zero bearing on the point because that's why they're growing. And because THAT'S WHY THEY'RE GROWING RATHER THAN SOME OTHER REASON, the reason put forward by Tech for needing a vet school - to meet growing demand for large animal vets in small Texas towns - doesn't stand scrutiny. The only way that's true, assuming what you've claimed is true, is if despite dwindling populations, those small towns have a converse increase in the numbers of large animals requiring vet care.

Absolutely unreal.
BiochemAg97
AG
Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Bucketrunner said:

Did i say anywhere that they are growing exclusively because of the drop of pop in rural locations? No?

Dumbass.

So much stupid.

You are such an oblivious moron. READ YOUR OWN POST. You're so turned around stupid you can't see how idiotic your post is. Read the bold. So what if you didn't say this? You NOT saying has zero bearing on the point because that's why they're growing. And because THAT'S WHY THEY'RE GROWING RATHER THAN SOME OTHER REASON, the reason put forward by Tech for needing a vet school - to meet growing demand for large animal vets in small Texas towns - doesn't stand scrutiny. The only way that's true, assuming what you've claimed is true, is if despite dwindling populations, those small towns have a converse increase in the numbers of large animals requiring vet care.

Absolutely unreal.

Well, USDA/FDA added regulations requiring a prescription to give antibiotics to livestock. Could increase the need for vets, except that someone is likely going to do a televet type thing to hand out prescriptions.
Cholula Verde
AG
Bucketrunner said:

Small West Texas towns, where large animal vets are really needed, are shrinking and fading away for the most part. But perhaps lower level vet practitioners like tech would produce, would be willing to live like that.

There is wisdom in your thought process in that Vet Practitioners, like Nurse Practitioners in the human medical field, is what we need. Here is the rub......that is NOT what Tech's program is targeting AND the Vet Practitioner would require a change in Licensure by the state. Veterinarians across the state....or atleast the folks at TAMU....In my opinion....would fight the Licensure Change to the death! FYI, TAMU Kingsville currently has the only 4 year Vet Tech/ Vet Nurse Program in the Country. Also, Vet Tech/Nursing is the fastest growing CDE Program for the Vocational Ag Program competitions in the state!
BiochemAg97
AG
The medical industry (doctors) fought nurse practitioners too. Vet medicine is decades behind on that., and I would guess there is a lot less political motivation to get it done. I agree it makes a lot of sense for a food animal industry, but it is not something Tech can take on by themselves.

Also, there is a reason there are very few 4 year vet tech programs like offered at Kingsville. Most everywhere else is you can get a vet tech degree in 2 years.. Not sure what advantage a 4 year bachelors degree in vet technology provides. Looking at the degree plan, they basically require 2 years of the core curriculum (math, science, history, etc) for a BS degree and then take a 2 year vet tech program. Why not skip straight to the vet tech program. Kingsville does have the advantage of providing hands on experience that you won't get at most community college vet tech programs. But that means Kingsville has a teaching facility/hospital, which is more than Tech will have. Let that sink in... A&M Kingsville has a teaching clinic for vet techs who assist during a surgery and Texas tech won't have a teaching clinic/hospital for the veterinarian that actually performs the surgery.
Andy Farmer
Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Bucketrunner said:

Dumbass.

So much stupid.

Absolutely unreal.

Someone is charged the **** up. And still an idiot.

You think every single high plains town besides Lubbock and Amarillo is dwindling? You sure like making assumptions. Didn't think someone of the intellect you claim would require this to be spelled out for you bit by bit.
Andy Farmer
Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Bucketrunner said:

Dumbass.

So much stupid.

Absolutely unreal.

30% increase in Animal Production jobs on High Plains between 2007 and 2017. Since I am having to look **** up for you.
Flexbone
Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Bucketrunner said:

Dumbass.

So much stupid.

Absolutely unreal.

Someone is charged the **** up. And still an idiot.

You think every single high plains town besides Lubbock and Amarillo is dwindling? You sure like making assumptions. Didn't think someone of the intellect you claim would require this to be spelled out for you bit by bit.

Prove it wrong, dumbass. You keep responding with ad hominem while failing to address the argument. That's a classic sign of someone who's getting their ass whipped.
Flexbone
Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Bucketrunner said:

Dumbass.

So much stupid.

Absolutely unreal.

30% increase in Animal Production jobs on High Plains between 2007 and 2017. Since I am having to look **** up for you.

HOW DOES THIS REFUTE MY ARGUMENT OR SUPPORT YOURS?

Good Lord how much ****ing hand holding do you need someone to give you to lead you down the path of actually MAKING A POINT?
Your Friend
Down goes flexbone
CanyonAg77
AG
Your Friend said:

Down goes flexbone Andy Farmer
goodAg80
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Your Friend said:

Your friend Down goes flexbone down

Andy Farmer
Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Bucketrunner said:

Dumbass.

So much stupid.

Absolutely unreal.

Good Lord how much ****ing hand holding do you need someone to give you to lead you down the path of actually MAKING A POINT?

30 pct increase. Guess that vet school makes sense.
cottonpatchag
AG
Can someone answer this question, Andy. How do you stump break a cow on the high plains of Texas and what do you call her afterwards?
Flexbone
Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Bucketrunner said:

Dumbass.

So much stupid.

Absolutely unreal.

The level of stupidity one has to achieve in order to not even realize he's completely missing the point...all the while believing he's making his.... is hard to really capture or quantify.

You are one unbelievably stupid ****.
Andy Farmer
Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Bucketrunner said:

Dumbass.

So much stupid.

Absolutely unreal.

The level of stupidity one has to achieve in order to not even realize he's completely missing the point...all the while believing he's making his.... is hard to really capture or quantify.

Still wound the **** up
Flexbone
Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Bucketrunner said:

Dumbass.

So much stupid.

Absolutely unreal.

Still wound the **** up

You still can't respond because you're too stupid to see the very obvious Grand Canyon esque hole in your ridiculous argument. It's like watching a dog chase it's own tail. The truly stupid ones spend hours doing it, never figuring it out. It's actually amazing that you're this dumb.
Andy Farmer
Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Bucketrunner said:

Dumbass.

So much stupid.

Absolutely unreal.

Still wound the **** up

You still can't respond because you're too stupid to see the very obvious Grand Canyon esque hole in your ridiculous argument. It's like watching a dog chase it's own tail. The truly stupid ones spend hours doing it, never figuring it out. It's actually amazing that you're this dumb.

C/LOL
Cholula Verde
AG
I am guessing Andy and Flex used to be friends! Wait.... Y'all are siblings?
goodAg80
AG
Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Bucketrunner said:

Dumbass.

So much stupid.

Absolutely unreal.

Still wound the **** up

You still can't respond because you're too stupid to see the very obvious Grand Palo Duro Canyon esque hole in your ridiculous argument. It's like watching a dog chase it's own tail. The truly stupid ones spend hours doing it, never figuring it out. It's actually amazing that you're this dumb.
Andy Farmer
goodAg80 said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Bucketrunner said:

Dumbass.

So much stupid.

Absolutely unreal.

Still wound the **** up

You still can't respond because you're too stupid to see the very obvious Grand Palo Duro Canyon esque hole in your ridiculous argument. It's like watching a dog chase it's own tail. The truly stupid ones spend hours doing it, never figuring it out. It's actually amazing that you're this dumb.

So the hole in my argument is smaller than anticipated?
goodAg80
AG
Andy Farmer said:

goodAg80 said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Bucketrunner said:

Dumbass.

So much stupid.

Absolutely unreal.

Still wound the **** up

So the hole in my argument is smaller than anticipated?

That's it, you have a smaller hole.

45-70Ag
AG
It's unfortunate but a tech vet school would look like the rest of that university. Second rate at best and always on the cusp of accreditation issues
Flexbone
Let me hold your hand like a small child and point you in the right direction, Andy.

Tech wants a vet school.

Tech's position is that there's a growing need in rural areas of the state, particularly West Texas small towns, for large animal vets, and the current vets being graduated by Texas A&M aren't meeting this need.

Tech believes that because they are located in West Texas - where this perceived need is most acute - that the solution is for them to create a brand new vet school, because, somehow, kids going to school there will be more likely to go to those small towns in that region.

You've acknowledged that said small towns' populations are dwindling. You don't dispute it. But, you argue, the populations of cities like Lubbock and Amarillo - which are not, by definition, rural or small, are growing. Ok? And?

You've also stated that there's been a "30% increase" in "large animal production" on the "High Plains", but given no specifics as to WHERE on the High Plains that stated growth comes from.

On top of all this, you haven't stated why Tech's plan to create a brand new school from scratch is superior to any plan A&M might have to address such a need, accounting for the fact that A&M wouldn't be starting from scratch and already has existing infrastructure in place. Nor have you addressed why graduates of Tech's proposed school are more likely to stay in West Texas/work in these small, dwindling towns (that supposedly create the need Tech aims to address) than graduates from Texas A&M might already be willing to do, or might be willing to do under any new proposal A&M might have to address any such need.

Please advise.
goodAg80
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.