Texas Tech is moving forward with the vet school

136,586 Views | 712 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by DifferenceMaker Ag
TAMUdoc88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I wouldn't be too sure. I'm no Sharp fan, but if there's one thing he knows, it's how to make politics work for his benefit. And this one is ALL politics.
drthoop
AG
quote:
With sharp involved, tech will have one

You don't know Sharp do you?

Tom Hooper '82,'84,'86---- College Station, Texas
45-70Ag
AG
Well, no. We are not friends.
Aggie1
AG
http://amarillo.com/news/latest-news/2016-09-17/city-mulls-giving-15m-tech-vet-school

Tehc wants city of Amarillo to kick in $15M to get vet school started. City mulls giving $15 million incentive for Texas Tech vet school
Amarillo.com - 11 hours ago
Amarillo City Council is set to sign off on a $15 million incentive to help fund Texas Tech ...

https://www.ttuhsc.edu/amarillo/vetschool.aspx

SigChiDad
AG
nm

Aggie1
AG
http://lubbockonline.com/local-news/2016-09-20/amarillo-approves-15-million-incentive-texas-tech-vet-school#.V-JRWPkrK00

quote:
Quote:AMARILLO Texas Tech officials hope a $15 million incentive funded through Amarillo's half-cent sales tax will help motivate the state Legislature to appropriate funds for a new College of Veterinary Medicine in Amarillo.
Tech officials estimate the new school will cost around $80 million to $90 million.
University officials called the $15 million grant from the Amarillo Economic Development Corp. a major step forward for Tech's vision of enhancing rural and large-animal veterinary medicine by focusing on improving animal health in the heart of the beef and dairy cattle industry.
The incentive package, which was penned by the economic development corporation, will give Tech $1.5 million annually for 10 years. Under proposed terms of the incentive agreement, Tech must begin construction by Sept. 1, 2018, and commence facility operations no later than Sept. 1, 2022. Tech also will need to pay at least $50 million in payroll and benefits to employees of the veterinary school during a five-year period beginning Sept. 1, 2022.

If Texas Tech does not meet the payroll target, the final incentive installment will be reduced, according to the agreement.
OldArmy1606
How stupid of them and foolish on Amarillo's part. Tech is also playing a game they're not going to win.
SigChiDad
AG
I hope you're right.

The cost of veterinary education is already so ridiculously out of whack with the income that the graduates can expect that there is soon to be much, much less interest in the degree. So so so stupid to open another vet school in this state. Hell, okie light and LSU might as well be considered Texas vet schools since this is where all their grads practice.

A vet school at tech churning out 130 grads a year will simply result in low cost dog and cat shots every single weekend in every parking lot from Brownsville to Texline.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Why isn't the City of Amarillo doing anything to help West Texas A&M with the branch of our Vet School we are putting there? Canyon is much closer to Amarillo.
The Collective
AG
quote:
Why isn't the City of Amarillo doing anything to help West Texas A&M with the branch of our Vet School we are putting there? Canyon is much closer to Amarillo.

I don't think we would promise the same level of staffing and spending, because our deal will be more efficient as an extension of the CS campus.
Andy Farmer
Tech giving A&M the finger.

Awesome.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Oh look....more pen*$ envy.
Dr. Doctor
AG
Unless there is a claw back provision, I don't see how Amarillo doesn't get screwed.

Tceh doesn't come through and they don't get the last bit? Wow, awesome penalty there.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
I just don't understand Tech's motivation here, knowing the plans at WT A&M. Other than blind beligerance and jealousy, there really isn't a motivation after the need metrics are examined.
Decay
AG
quote:
Other than blind [belligerence] and jealousy, there really isn't a motivation
That's all they need, baby. Guns up!
jackie childs
in tech's defense, a "rural and large-animal veterinary medicine" facility could just be an OB-GYN's office in Lubbock
TexasAggie_02
AG
there has never been any mention in any of these news sources about how the vets from this school would be licensed. Tech wants their vet school to be large animal-only, yet the veterinary license board doesn't offer a large animal only cert. I would think that would be the first hurdle to getting a school.
Bud Fox
quote:
I hope you're right.

The cost of veterinary education is already so ridiculously out of whack with the income that the graduates can expect that there is soon to be much, much less interest in the degree. So so so stupid to open another vet school in this state. Hell, okie light and LSU might as well be considered Texas vet schools since this is where all their grads practice.

A vet school at tech churning out 130 grads a year will simply result in low cost dog and cat shots every single weekend in every parking lot from Brownsville to Texline.
Nice argument. Surprising that Sharp hasn't made the same in relation to the sh*t ton amount of law schools and law students in the State. But NO, Sharp pushed madly for more state funding for bigger and improved and changed to PUBLIC law school that A&M could put its name on. Wtf

Sharp's one and only goal is to make A&M a colossal behemoth. Screw any one else. That is his desired legacy. Undergrad enrollment of 80,000 plus coming soon (not counting Blinn team or the riverside campus). And as many system campuses and programs and students as possible.

Some might want this. And he is good. I'll give him credit.
Bucketrunner
Overlooked in this argument is the premise that there is sufficient interest in large animal practice in the panhandle area that is somehow underserved and that, once trained, those vets would actually stay in the panhandle area.

We have a tech graduate cousin, and we're always fascinated by her belief that having a vet school somehow confers prestige over all other programs. Petroleum engineering? pffft. Nuclear physics? no big deal. But at VET SCHOOL??? We're in the big time . Smh
XhotXwetXgarlic
AG
quote:
How stupid of them and foolish on Amarillo's part. Tech is also playing a game they're not going to win.
Wrong. The school is not proposed in Lubbock, it is going in in Amarillo at the Texas Tech Health Science Center. TTHSC already has a pharm school, medical school and residency here.

A 4 year vet school is a HUGE boon for Amarillo with jobs, investment in facilities and secondary investment in biomedical fields. It builds on the current Amarillo campus that is already in place.

A&M's proposal is a satellite deal in Canyon. No where near the local investment and most here think it is just A&M playing politics to keep Texas Tech out of the vet business. A&M has had plenty of opportunity to invest in Canyon and has failed to do so. Lots of promises, but all the money has gone to College Station.

BTW - if you need animal vet work here you usually go to Stillwater or Fort Collins. Those are the closest clinics. The competition here is from those schools not College Station. We have a unique large animal population with feedyards and dairies here.
SigChiDad
AG
The best argument against the extra vet school isn't competition for referrals to teaching hospitals, it's that there are already far too many vets. The glut of animal doctors is such that salaries for veterinarians are so low that servicing the absurdly large student loans prevents them from ever being able to buy a house, start a family, or ever open their own practice.
Andy Farmer
quote:
The best argument against the extra vet school isn't competition for referrals to teaching hospitals, it's that there are already far too many vets. The glut of animal doctors is such that salaries for veterinarians are so low that servicing the absurdly large student loans prevents them from ever being able to buy a house, start a family, or ever open their own practice.

I am certainly no vet expert, but the BLS anticipates a 9% job growth in the next 8 years in the field of vet care with a median wage of $89k. They also specifically point out the relative lack of farm animal (large animal) vets and the career ops in that field.

Seems counter to what you're saying, yes?

aggie1944
Andy you remind me of the clock boy kid. Scrawny little twerp who's dumb as *****
Andy Farmer
quote:
Andy you remind me of the clock boy kid. Scrawny little twerp who's dumb as *****

Shouldn't you be changing out your catheter or catching the next Days of Our Lives?

Ya old ****.
drthoop
AG
Highly unlikely that a large animal only vet will earn $90K straight out of school.

And I do know something about Vet. Med.

Additionally very few want to do large animal anymore. They'd much rather do dog and cat med in an air conditioned office. And I can't blame them.

I came out of full retirement to help out at a clinic that needed more large animal help. I've helped train 4 new grads in the past 2 years. All female I might add. Not complaining. They are very intelligent and work hard. Problem is that I don't know how long they will stay with the large animal.

Large animal medicine is usually physically demanding and dirty and can be a little on the dangerous side. I do agree that we need more large animal vets, but I'm pretty sure a new Vet School is not the answer.
Tom Hooper '82,'84,'86---- College Station, Texas
aggie1944
I'll contract you too change it for me. But right before you come over to do so I'll empty the bag all over the floor in the entry way. When you come in you'll slip and fall and roll all around in my piss. I'll laugh hysterically and call the wife in to do the same. She'll bring me my walker and encourage me to wack you with it each time you attempt to get your footing to stand. The neighbors will hear all the laughing and come over to investigate. Once they see the keystone cops routine you will be putting on, they too will laugh uncontrollably and point and say, "Look at the pissy little clock boy"
Bud Fox
quote:
That "unnecessary" argument to quote Sharp can only be used by Aggies related to vet schools. Doesn't or didn't apply when A&M wanted to add a Public law school in the state. More lawyers is necessary if it adds to A&M's prestige or numbers.
BiochemAg97
AG
quote:
quote:
That "unnecessary" argument to quote Sharp can only be used by Aggies related to vet schools. Doesn't or didn't apply when A&M wanted to add a Public law school in the state. More lawyers is necessary if it adds to A&M's prestige or numbers.
Notice that A&M didn't create a law school. They bought one. Going from X number of new graduates from Wesleyan Law to X number of new graduates from Texas A&M Law is not a increase in the number of new lawyers.

In contrast, going from 0 Tech vets to any number greater than 0 Tech vets is an increase in the number of new vets.
Andy Farmer
quote:
quote:
quote:
Notice that A&M didn't create a law school. They bought one. Going from X number of new graduates from Wesleyan Law to X number of new graduates from Texas A&M Law is not a increase in the number of new lawyers.

In contrast, going from 0 Tech vets to any number greater than 0 Tech vets is an increase in the number of new vets.

Unless Tech takes vets from A&M....
FTAggies
Call me crazy, but in terms of professional schools A&M seems way behind, especially when we have all this money. I run into medical, dental, pharmacy grads from UT+satellites/Tech all the time, but hardly any from A&M. We only just acquired a law school, and the dental school finally seems to be completely integrated; I honestly don't know the situation with vet school but as it's so ridiculously hard to get into A&M I don't really mind another school opening up. However for vets already out there it dilutes the job market, and I get the resistance.
Bucketrunner
The unemployed/underemployed vets will not be the Aggie graduates.
goodAg80
AG
Tech Vet School

BiochemAg97
AG
How dumb are you?

Competention to get into vet school is extremely intense. There will not be a shortage of applicants.

Or do you think the HEC will reduce class size at A&M to give spots to Tech? Take spots from a top 3 vet school to give to one that probably won't be accredited.
BiochemAg97
AG
quote:
Call me crazy, but in terms of professional schools A&M seems way behind, especially when we have all this money. I run into medical, dental, pharmacy grads from UT+satellites/Tech all the time, but hardly any from A&M. We only just acquired a law school, and the dental school finally seems to be completely integrated; I honestly don't know the situation with vet school but as it's so ridiculously hard to get into A&M I don't really mind another school opening up. However for vets already out there it dilutes the job market, and I get the resistance.

Do you not have pets, or just don't take them to the vet?

And look at the enrollment of A&M medical vs the combined enrollment of multiple tu system medical schools.
Andy Farmer
quote:
How dumb are you?

Competention to get into vet school is extremely intense. There will not be a shortage of applicants.

Or do you think the HEC will reduce class size at A&M to give spots to Tech? Take spots from a top 3 vet school to give to one that probably won't be accredited.

Such an angry putz.

Competition is intense because why? Lack of available schools?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.