Texas Tech is moving forward with the vet school

136,596 Views | 712 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by DifferenceMaker Ag
American Hardwood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

There are 17 some odd pages of caring right here in OR...

Yeah, and probably 70% of those pages is you and Flexbone. You can't stop posting and Flexbone can't stop rubbing your pock marked nose in steaming piles of dog turds. Just to be clear, the rest of OR doesn't really give a crap.
Andy Farmer
American Hardwood said:

Quote:

Yeah, and probably 70% of those pages is you and Flexbone. You can't stop posting and Flexbone can't stop rubbing your pock marked nose in steaming piles of dog turds. Just to be clear, the rest of OR doesn't really give a crap.

Thanks for taking time to post on a thread you care NOTHING about.
American Hardwood
AG
I don't care about your stupid vet school. I'm just pointing out that you are largely responsible for creating the false impression that people care simply by posting a gajillion times. Let's not mischaracterize what's going here.
BiochemAg97
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

I think you guys are fooling yourselves if you think a Vet will stay in the Panhandle just because he went to school in Amarillo.

That $17.35m would be much better spent in an endowment that pays off the debt of any vet who locates in the Panhandle. You could be paying 17 vets $100,000 a year to live in say, Hereford, and never touch the principle. Pay them for about 5 years, and then they might decide to stay. Even if only 1 or 2 each year decide to stay after the 5 years, it will be more than stay from any Tech school.

If you add in the $4-5 million from the last allotment, and the funds that will eventually be needed to actually start the first classes, that is quite the endowment to incentivize vet students to spend time in the panhandle. And they would be there years before Tech spends the better part of a decade getting a vet school up and running and graduates their first class.
Andy Farmer
American Hardwood said:

I don't care about your stupid vet school. I'm just pointing out that you are largely responsible for creating the false impression that people care simply by posting a gajillion times. Let's not mischaracterize what's going here.

I am well aware of my involvement in this thread...but let's not act like I am the only participant.
goodAg80
AG
American Hardwood said:

Quote:

Perhaps I have left the wrong impression. I care.

Farmer-Flex cage match is one of the best things on TA.
BoozingAg
It's been going on for a decade and a half or so
Cholula Verde
AG
BoozingAg said:

It's been going on for a decade and a half or so
Those two sound like siblings!
Aggie1
AG
https://www.reporternews.com/story/news/2019/06/21/tech-vet-school-could-create-ripples-even-abilene/1526161001/

Tech chancellor: Vet school could create ripples even in Abilene

Quote:

Quote:
"One of the things that we will be exploring over time is so when you come in as a vet student, and we're looking to get the spectrum of your training, including companion animals, one of the untapped resources for training is the shelters," Mitchell said. "And so we're looking at the various cities in West Texas. Could you have somebody that is a third-year vet student in Amarillo, then do rotations in Abilene and work at the animal shelter?"

Tech wanted to "just to tell our story," Mitchell said, a narrative designed to make sure those entities and individuals understood "what the needs were, not just out here in West Texas" but for rural Texas in general.

Tech was careful, he said, to cast any perceived disparagement on other existing programs, praising the "blessings" the existing programs bring.
CanyonAg77
AG
So they are already changing their tune about producing large animal vets?
BiochemAg97
AG
Aggie1 said:

https://www.reporternews.com/story/news/2019/06/21/tech-vet-school-could-create-ripples-even-abilene/1526161001/

Tech chancellor: Vet school could create ripples even in Abilene

Quote:

Quote:
"One of the things that we will be exploring over time is so when you come in as a vet student, and we're looking to get the spectrum of your training, including companion animals, one of the untapped resources for training is the shelters," Mitchell said. "And so we're looking at the various cities in West Texas. Could you have somebody that is a third-year vet student in Amarillo, then do rotations in Abilene and work at the animal shelter?"

Tech wanted to "just to tell our story," Mitchell said, a narrative designed to make sure those entities and individuals understood "what the needs were, not just out here in West Texas" but for rural Texas in general.

Tech was careful, he said, to cast any perceived disparagement on other existing programs, praising the "blessings" the existing programs bring.

Kinda like A&M sending vet students on rotation to Houston SPCA. But that is more to see and understand what the signs of animal abuse are, not to teach the kids how to deal with companion animals. we have a teaching hospital for that.
Flexbone
goodAg80 said:

American Hardwood said:

Quote:

Perhaps I have left the wrong impression. I care.

Farmer-Flex cage match is one of the best things on TA.

I care for you too, buddy. Deeply.
Aggie1
AG
https://townhall.com/columnists/walterewilliams/2019/06/26/reparations-for-slavery-n2548853?utm_source=thdaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl&newsletterad=06/26/2019&bcid=f87a7911520e3c5edf621f146086b146&recip=5340403

Texas Tech moves forward with design phase for Amarillo vet school

Quote:

Quote:
The Texas Tech Board of Regents voted to spend nearly $7 million for "Design Professional Stage 2" services for Tech's planned School of Veterinary Medicine facilities.
Services approved Tuesday consist of the design development, construction documents, construction administration phases and information related to the probable cost and project schedule.
Regents met via telephone conference call Tuesday afternoon to approve the services for professional design. This was the only item on the agenda, so the meeting lasted less than 15 minutes.
The Tech regents also named the two academic sites. The main campus facility is named the School of Veterinary Medicine Amarillo Campus, and the second site where the hands-on education will take place with animals is called School of Veterinary Medicine Mariposa Station.
"I think we all ought to stop and be very thankful, this is a historic moment for Texas Tech University," Chairman Christopher Huckabee said before the regents adjourned. "We owe thanks to a lot of people who've helped and a lot of people who will continue to be generous in helping us see this through. Thanks to everybody who's made this come to this point."
The School of Veterinary Medicine Amarillo Campus will be located on Tech's already existing University Health Sciences Center at Amarillo campus, according to a presentation from Billy Breedlove, vice chancellor of facilities planning and construction. Early designs for the new facility show a two-story, 185,000 square-foot building. The first floor will feature classrooms, surgery suites, and anatomy and pathology studios. The second floor will be mostly for research-related activity.

The second location, called the Mariposa Station, will be off Amarillo's Loop 335 about 2.5 miles away from the general campus. This site will serve much of the animal needs. It's located on about nine acres of land most of it will be open. It will feature a stock yard, hay barn and a facility for clinical skills training. The buildings will mainly be made of metal, said Breedlove. The buildings will be featured on a nine-acre site, but the entire land for the Mariposa Station, including the pasture, will be about 140 acres.
The bulk of what regents approved Tuesday, $6 million of the nearly $7 million, is for professional services related to architecture and engineering services. Kirksey Architecture, a firm based in Houston, will perform all the design services for the city. A total of about $8.4 million has been approved by the board for design professional services.
The entire vet school project is expected to cost about $90 million. The Amarillo Economic Development Corp. pledged as much as $69 million toward completion of the $90 million project last year, which was key in helping the project get off the ground. The $17 million approved by the state legislature this past session - seen as a major step in creating what will be a second vet school in the state - will be used mainly for curriculum and overall development, and hiring faculty.
The School of Veterinary Medicine anticipates opening in the fall of 2021, officials said, and will enroll a target class size of 60 students. The four-year school of veterinary medicine expects to enroll a total of 240 Doctor of Veterinary Medicine students, with a faculty and staff size of about 90 people.
CanyonAg77
AG
Still not approved by HECB
Andy Farmer
CanyonAg77 said:

Still not approved by HECB

It will be.
Flexbone
Isn't it weird that you're so invested in Tech being able to get a third rate vet school that won't ever be able to compete with A&M's? I guess you're used to it.
Andy Farmer
Flexbone said:

Isn't it weird that you're so invested in Tech being able to get a third rate vet school that won't ever be able to compete with A&M's? I guess you're used to it.

I don't care how the vet school ranks. I only care that A&M no longer has a stranglehold on Texas vet programs.
Flexbone
Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

I don't care how the vet school ranks. I only care that A&M no longer has a stranglehold on Texas vet programs.

Why? It's one of the best in the country. Clearly we know what we're doing. What's your argument for why A&M NOT continuing to do that is better for the state?
BiochemAg97
AG
At what stage would a school normally request approval from HECB?

Here Tech spent the first 5 million from the state paying consultants, and now they have another 17 mil from the state, and are now spending 9 mil on construction planning.

I don't recall building a campus and then asking being the standard approach. A&M doesn't have a unused law school building from when they were told no.

Is Tech hoping that putting 90 million into a vet campus is going to force HECB to approve it?
Aggie1
AG
Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Wrong! The final exam to become a licensed Vet in the state of Texas will be administered by A&M at College Station.
CanyonAg77
AG
This is how Tech operates. They build a building or start a school, then whine to the state for money to operate it. Who cares if it's needed.
Andy Farmer
Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Why? It's one of the best in the country. Clearly we know what we're doing. What's your argument for why A&M NOT continuing to do that is better for the state?

Can't handle number of applicants.
Cholula Verde
AG
Aggie1 said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Wrong! The final exam to become a licensed Vet in the state of Texas will be administered by A&M at College Station.
While this may currently be true Aggie1, it doesn't seem prudent to engage in such braggadocio statements. You see, with two Vet Schools in the state it is possible to envision a point in time where our state legislature may decide to spread the licensing duties among both institutions. Just a thought.......
CanyonAg77
AG
Has already expanded the number of slots through WTAMU.
Andy Farmer
CanyonAg77 said:

But not by enough...
Flexbone
Andy Farmer said:

CanyonAg77 said:

But not by enough...

Just because more people are applying doesn't mean that the number of slots should increase to accommodate them. Surely you of all people understand that. Do you not understand the concept of supply, demand, and how that impacts incomes?
goodAg80
AG
Wow. This vet school thing is a big ego rush for the techsters.

* First they say that its needed for the panhandle
* Then they say it is because of a shortage of large animal vets
* Now its because A&M has a "stranglehold" on vets in Texas

Technicals should consider

* A school in Lubbock doesn't mean vets will want to stay in the barren wasteland of LLano Estacado. Most of the graduates will go back to wherever they prefer to live. Especially the smart ones. Just look at the tech law school. Top notch graduates will open offices in the Woodlands before living anywhere in the panhandle.
* The problem with a lack of large animal vets isn't geographic or even an overall shortage of vets, it because the pay is low and the work is hard. A new vet school doesn't fix that. If the state is going to help fix this, the money should be going to paying the large animal vets a supplemental income to do large animal care.
* Stranglehold?? If you mean that A&M's in-state monopoly is lowering the quality of vets that makes you look like a chump. A&M is always ranked in the top 5 in the US. If you mean that the state needs more vets you are basically saying you want quantity over quality. I guess that is true of any field that tech teaches. By the way there are many vet schools in the U.S. and so overall your stranglehold is really just a statement that no vet graduate from anywhere wants to go to the panhandle to live.

If tech wants a vet school that badly, I won't really sweat it. But wasting taxpayer money based on stupid arguments that are really about tech trying to create an illusion of prestige is something I am against. Tech should get donations from all of its mega-rich graduates. I bet some big money law school guys would want to pitch in and get their name on the building.
Flexbone
Quote:

Especially the smart ones. Just look at the tech law school. Top notch graduates will open offices in the Woodlands before living anywhere in the panhandle.
goodAg80
Andy Farmer
Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

CanyonAg77 said:

But not by enough...

Just because more people are applying doesn't mean that the number of slots should increase to accommodate them. Surely you of all people understand that. Do you not understand the concept of supply, demand, and how that impacts incomes?

I understand very well. And I am not suggesting every single applicant that doesn't get accepted to A&M will come to Tech or will qualify. But it is documented that numerous applicants are going out of state due to lack of available slots. Tech hopes to bridge that gap.
cottonpatchag
AG

Waiting room for faculty interviews at the 150 mile radius famous Texas Tech Vet School

Spider69
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

So they are already changing their tune about producing large animal vets?

Large animal Vets will have a hard time even in the Panhandle with feedlots & large ranches. Just no dependable cash flow plus living in the boon docks. In Research, good Vets were plentiful to find & keep. I had two Vets from my Corps outfit, one got right into Vet school after pisshead year and headed to NE Texas (Hopkins Co, I think) because of it's large cattle numbers and low human population. Last I heard he was laid up with several injuries from tangling with a bull in a squeeze shoot. But he's been there nearly 50 yrs now. The other returned to the Spearman farm and decided to go back to TAMU and retake some critical courses to raise his grades so he might get into Vet school after his Army tour and Vietnam. He finally got into Vet school and setup his practice in Clovis, NM. But I think the majority of his clients were small animals. He kept a photo of a pig on his office wall with just a date on it. The day he quit working on pigs! He said that pig just WANTED to die! His main issue was how to "retire" and get rid of his Vet clinic. Young Vets couldn't afford to buy his practice. Another Aggie Vet friend in Amarillo after a horse nearly killed him by a kick, went mainly into the private pharmaceutical field as a consultant and then into academia at KSU.

I just don't see a huge "farm" support for large animal Vets even in the Texas Panhandle. Besides selling vaccines and medicines, is there really that large of a demand? I realize most of my exposure has been with Vets at USDA-ARS or the TVMDLs.
BiochemAg97
AG
Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

CanyonAg77 said:

But not by enough...

I understand very well. And I am not suggesting every single applicant that doesn't get accepted to A&M will come to Tech or will qualify. But it is documented that numerous applicants are going out of state due to lack of available slots. Tech hopes to bridge that gap.
I still don't understand why this is a problem.

Students go to out of state school, pay out of state tuition, and become a vet. Vets from other schools move to Texas... thus, the state of Texas avoids paying partial tuition for these vet students.

Tech is asking the state to supplement the cost of educating these vet students that go out of state. Unless the state of Texas can't attract vets from out of state schools (Tech's own statements disprove that), then there really is no need for the state to foot the bill.

The state should be focusing money on the area of need... supplement rural vets, either by paying a stipend or a loan forgiveness plan. The amount of money already spent on tech vet school could have solved the rural vet problem already.

CanyonAg77
AG
https://abc7amarillo.com/news/local/expanding-veterinary-education-research-at-wt
Quote:

CANYON, Texas (KVII) A program fairly new to the Texas Panhandle aimed at filling a void of veterinarians in rural communities is on track despite weather related delays. A $90 million investment by Texas A&M University is impacting the Ag Industry and West Texas A&M University.

"We are training rural practitioners to serve the need of the Panhandle and South Plains," said Dr. Dan Posey, VERO academic coordinator. "There's no place in this world that you'll have this much learning and research power associated with it."

When completed a 22,000 plus square foot (VERO) Veterinary Education Research Outreach center and a diagnostic lab will help recruit students from all over the country who are interested in pursuing a career in vet sciences....

A shortage of veterinarians in rural communities will hopefully decrease as Texas A&M's $90 million investment in the future of large animal health takes shape. Both the (VERO) and the diagnostic lab are scheduled to open in the fall of 2020.

Video of new facility already being built. at link. Sorry. TTech. Too little, too late.
Andy Farmer
CanyonAg77 said:

https://abc7amarillo.com/news/local/expanding-veterinary-education-research-at-wt
Quote:

CANYON, Texas (KVII) A program fairly new to the Texas Panhandle aimed at filling a void of veterinarians in rural communities is on track despite weather related delays. A $90 million investment by Texas A&M University is impacting the Ag Industry and West Texas A&M University.

"We are training rural practitioners to serve the need of the Panhandle and South Plains," said Dr. Dan Posey, VERO academic coordinator. "There's no place in this world that you'll have this much learning and research power associated with it."

When completed a 22,000 plus square foot (VERO) Veterinary Education Research Outreach center and a diagnostic lab will help recruit students from all over the country who are interested in pursuing a career in vet sciences....

A shortage of veterinarians in rural communities will hopefully decrease as Texas A&M's $90 million investment in the future of large animal health takes shape. Both the (VERO) and the diagnostic lab are scheduled to open in the fall of 2020.

Video of new facility already being built. at link. Sorry. TTech. Too little, too late.

You wish.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.