Texas Tech is moving forward with the vet school

136,581 Views | 712 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by DifferenceMaker Ag
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Andy Farmer said:

goodAg80 said:

Andy Farmer said:

Need an update please.
I checked Wikipedia and tech still sucks.

But are we getting a vet school?

Only the HECB knows
The Goo
AG
The $17 million over a two year period is a drop in the the bucket. The money is for Tech to put up or shut up on the vet school. It was done in the House because the Chairman of Ways and Means, Dustin Burrows is from Lubbock and the Chairman of Calendars, Four Price is from Amarillo. Those 2 members are in the Speaker's inner Circle and are 2 of the most powerful members in the House. That is why Tech got the money. If the Legislature was serious about establishing a new Vet School at Tech they would have given them real money. The money tech got is seed money and doesn't establish anything.

If Tech gets HECB approval they will also have to achieve national accreditation. This is done looking at the nation as a whole so I'm told and there are other schools (don't know which) they are already in the que ahead of tech. Tech will need more than the $70 million pledged by Amarillo to get this done. Next budget cycle will be tight thanks to HB 3. If Tech can't show real progress by 2021, I can see them getting another pittance because of Burrows and Price to keep the natives happy but that is it.
CanyonAg77
AG
Just add this to the $5m they got two years ago to pay friends of Burrows and Price to "study" the possibility.
Loren Visser
Damn, Andy drug his balls all over this thread.
Andy Farmer
Loren Visser said:

Skeet skeet.
Flexbone
Andy Farmer said:

Loren Visser said:

Skeet skeet.

Feeling better than he's ever felt in his life because his Alma mater could get a license to open a vet school that students will still pass over to go to vet schools in the Caribbean.

What a ****ing loser.
Aggie1
AG
https://www.amarillo.com/news/20190617/ttu-lauds-vet-school-funding-initiative?utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=GHM_Daily_Newsletter&utm_content=GMPG_AGN&utm_term=061819

TTU lauds vet school funding initiative

Quote:

Quote:
Texas Tech University officials are lauding the state's appropriation of operational funding for the School of Veterinary Medicine, clearing the way for the first such venue in more than a century.
Officials said the biennial state budget signed into law by Gov. Greg Abbott on Saturday included $17.35 million earmarked to get the school up and running, noting language directs the university to use funds to initiate curriculum design and development, faculty recruitment and other processes necessary to attain accreditation of the program.

...as a means of minimizing student debt, officials said the model eliminates the need for a costly teaching hospital, placing veterinary students in cooperative rural practices to provide clinical learning through collaboration.

The School of Veterinary Medicine anticipates opening in the fall of 2021, officials said, and will enroll a target class size of 60 students.
Cholula Verde
AG
Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Loren Visser said:

Skeet skeet.

Feeling better than he's ever felt in his life because his Alma mater could get a license to open a vet school that students will still pass over to go to vet schools in the Caribbean.

What a ****ing loser.
Just curious........What do you call all the Aggies that have graduated from TTU's Med School, School of Pharmacy, Graduate School, etc, etc?
Flexbone
Cholula Verde said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Loren Visser said:

Skeet skeet.

What a ****ing loser.
Just curious........What do you call all the Aggies that have graduated from TTU's Med School, School of Pharmacy, Graduate School, etc, etc?

I'm one of them. What are you talking about?
Cholula Verde
AG
Flexbone said:

Cholula Verde said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Loren Visser said:

Skeet skeet.

What a ****ing loser.

I'm one of them. What are you talking about?
LOL, that is some sense of humor you have there Flex!
Andy Farmer
Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Loren Visser said:

Skeet skeet.

What a ****ing loser.

Tell me for the 400th time in this thread how Ags don't care, your law school already jumped Tech's, and how bad ass and rich your school is.

The more you say it, the more it must be true.

Dumbass.

CanyonAg77
AG
Loren Visser said:

And there's the type of elevated discussion we get with our friends from Lubbock.
BiochemAg97
AG
Aggie1 said:

https://www.amarillo.com/news/20190617/ttu-lauds-vet-school-funding-initiative?utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=GHM_Daily_Newsletter&utm_content=GMPG_AGN&utm_term=061819

TTU lauds vet school funding initiative

Quote:

Quote:
Texas Tech University officials are lauding the state's appropriation of operational funding for the School of Veterinary Medicine, clearing the way for the first such venue in more than a century.
Officials said the biennial state budget signed into law by Gov. Greg Abbott on Saturday included $17.35 million earmarked to get the school up and running, noting language directs the university to use funds to initiate curriculum design and development, faculty recruitment and other processes necessary to attain accreditation of the program.

...as a means of minimizing student debt, officials said the model eliminates the need for a costly teaching hospital, placing veterinary students in cooperative rural practices to provide clinical learning through collaboration.

The School of Veterinary Medicine anticipates opening in the fall of 2021, officials said, and will enroll a target class size of 60 students.

So basically the legs appropriated some money to move the vet school forward, but they will need another appropriation in 2021 to actually open. And in the meantime, they need to get Higher Edu Coord Board approval and get accredited.

Given tech has friends in high places in the lege, I'm thinking getting the token appropriation is the easy part.

That said, I'm sure if they get the rest of the things through, they will get more money to open the vet school.
David_Puddy
AG
Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Loren Visser said:

Skeet skeet.

What a ****ing loser.

Tell me for the 400th time in this thread how Ags don't care, your law school already jumped Tech's, and how bad ass and rich your school is.

Dumbass.

Well the 3rd & 4th thing in your list are both certainly true. Our school is badass and also rich.
Flexbone
Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Loren Visser said:

Skeet skeet.

What a ****ing loser.

Dumbass.

Another deflection. Yes, those are true. No, those weren't part of my post at all. My post was making fun of you for being an insecure dip**** who runs around here bragging about POTENTIALLY GETTING a third rate vet school on the board of a school that HAS ONE OF THE BEST VET SCHOOLS IN THE COUNTRY ALREADY.

Do you realize how stupid you look doing this? The cherry on top is that you aren't a vet. It has nothing to do with you. On top of that, hardly anyone here cares if Tech gets a vet school. My position has always been that if it's better for the state's taxpayers, great. If it isn't, don't. You don't care about that because you're an insecure dbag whose still pissed off that he got rejected from A&M's Business School.
Andy Farmer
Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Loren Visser said:

Skeet skeet.

What a ****ing loser.

Dumbass.

Another deflection. Yes, those are true. No, those weren't part of my post at all. My post was making fun of you for being an insecure dip**** who runs around here bragging about POTENTIALLY GETTING a third rate vet school on the board of a school that HAS ONE OF THE BEST VET SCHOOLS IN THE COUNTRY ALREADY.

Do you realize how stupid you look doing this? The cherry on top is that you aren't a vet. It has nothing to do with you. On top of that, hardly anyone here cares if Tech gets a vet school. My position has always been that if it's better for the state's taxpayers, great. If it isn't, don't. You don't care about that because you're an insecure dbag whose still pissed off that he got rejected from A&M's Business School.

Hardly anyone cares my ass.

There are 17 some odd pages of caring right here in OR...that and Sharp fighting it most of the way. But I am sure it is just about "what's right for the taxpayers" and not a political dick swinging contest.

Didn't get rejected, pal. Though you wish it were true because how dare anyone willingly leave A&M in good standing.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

There are 17 some odd pages of caring right here in OR...that and Sharp fighting it most of the way. But I am sure it is just about "what's right for the taxpayers" and not a political dick swinging contest.

I'm glad you finally understand that Tech only wants a Vet school as a bragging point.
Andy Farmer
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

I'm glad you finally understand that Tech only wants a Vet school as a bragging point.

Yes, it plays a part I am sure. But I don't believe it is the only reason. I do think there is a need A&M can't, or won't, meet.
CanyonAg77
AG
I think you guys are fooling yourselves if you think a Vet will stay in the Panhandle just because he went to school in Amarillo.

That $17.35m would be much better spent in an endowment that pays off the debt of any vet who locates in the Panhandle. You could be paying 17 vets $100,000 a year to live in say, Hereford, and never touch the principle. Pay them for about 5 years, and then they might decide to stay. Even if only 1 or 2 each year decide to stay after the 5 years, it will be more than stay from any Tech school.
Flexbone
Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Loren Visser said:

Skeet skeet.

What a ****ing loser.

Dumbass.

Hardly anyone cares my ass.

Didn't get rejected, pal. Though you wish it were true because how dare anyone willingly leave A&M in good standing.
You absolutely didn't get into A&M's Business School. And if you did, you are an objective idiot for leaving to attend a much lower-ranked school for the same degree program. But we know that didn't happen.

Anyway, you keep referencing a political dick swinging contest and pointing a finger at A&M. What would you call Tech fighting A&M getting a law school for the last 2.5 decades?
Flexbone
CanyonAg77 said:

I think you guys are fooling yourselves if you think a Vet will stay in the Panhandle just because he went to school in Amarillo.

That $17.35m would be much better spent in an endowment that pays off the debt of any vet who locates in the Panhandle. You could be paying 17 vets $100,000 a year to live in say, Hereford, and never touch the principle. Pay them for about 5 years, and then they might decide to stay. Even if only 1 or 2 each year decide to stay after the 5 years, it will be more than stay from any Tech school.
But this wouldn't let Tech say they have a vet school. So it doesn't work.

Andy's a total dumbass. Of COURSE this is the way to get vets to stay in these ****ty, rural communities. There's no money there, so nobody wants to live there. $100K is jack ****, but I guess it's a lot to new vet school graduates in a town where the cost of living is incredibly low (for good reason).

They don't get doctors to go work in underserved areas in the Rio Grande Valley by creating new medical schools there. They create incentives to do so.
David_Puddy
AG
Andy got rejected from Mays?
Andy Farmer
Flexbone said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Andy's a total dumbass. Of COURSE this is the way to get vets to stay in these ****ty, rural communities. There's no money there, so nobody wants to live there. $100K is jack ****, but I guess it's a lot to new vet school graduates in a town where the cost of living is incredibly low (for good reason).

They don't get doctors to go work in underserved areas in the Rio Grande Valley by creating new medical schools there. They create incentives to do so.

I love when you play the subtle "look how rich I think I am" card by throwing out how $100k "isn't jack" but maybe to a vet working in Dumas.

Nothing to see here folks....same Flex, different thread.

What a complete ****ing tool.
CanyonAg77
AG
I love the Panhandle/South Plains, some of the best people in the world live here, and there are some wonderful towns

But I'm not blind, either. Small town public schools are not great. Medical care is spotty. The wind drives some people nuts. Good private schools are rare. Jobs for spouses of vets are hard to get.

It's going to be hard to get large animal vets, and harder to get them to stay. Pay is lower, work is harder. Your (probably well educated) spouse is going to have a hard time finding a job in their field. Your kids are going to have trouble finding a good school.

Just because they spend their school years in Amarillo does not mean they are going to live in Hereford. I know a lot of the east-of-I-35 crowd wouldn't t like either, but Hereford is quite a step down from NW Amarillo where they plan to build.
Andy Farmer
David_Puddy said:

Andy got rejected from Mays?

He wishes.

He also wants the world to know how $100k isn't jack. He is ****ING LOADED.
CanyonAg77
AG
$100,000 a year is above the median income for large animal vets. That's why they go to kitty and puppy clinics in Dallas where they can make more money.

A vet school in Amarillo does not magically fix that.
Flexbone
Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

CanyonAg77 said:

I love when you play the subtle "look how rich I think I am" card by throwing out how $100k "isn't jack" but maybe to a vet working in Dumas.

I wasn't saying that at all. But I love that you took it that way. Just reinforces my point about you being an insecure little dbag...as if everyone couldn't already tell from reading your daily menstrating here.
Andy Farmer
Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

CanyonAg77 said:

I wasn't saying that at all. But I love that you took it that way. Just reinforces my point about you being an insecure little dbag...as if everyone couldn't already tell from reading your daily menstrating here.

Says the guy whom has spillled his life story on here and is amongst the largest board pinatas, even amongst his Aggie brethren.
Ed Torian
Flexbone is flexing his bone inside Andy's anus.
Andy Farmer
Ed Torian said:

Flexbone is flexing his bone inside Andy's anus.

Flexbone
Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Says the guy whom has spillled his life story on here and is amongst the largest board pinatas, even amongst his Aggie brethren.
Oh really? Is that the case?

The irony here is about as thick as your dense head.

Sorry if my comment re: your ****ty income hit a nerve.
Andy Farmer
Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

CanyonAg77 said:

It didn't.
Flexbone
Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

Andy Farmer said:

Flexbone said:

CanyonAg77 said:

It didn't.

Oh, sure it did.
Raiderjay
Did RWilson ever finish that "Big Firm" internship????
goodAg80
AG
raiderjay said:

Did RWilson ever finish that "Big Firm" internship????
He started his own MAJOR firm in the Houston area.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.