Texas Tech is moving forward with the vet school

135,883 Views | 712 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by DifferenceMaker Ag
SEC 2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
The board "would consider a proposal for a new college of veterinary medical education that is designed to specifically produce large-animal veterinarians in an innovative, cost-efficient manner that does not duplicate existing efforts," according to the report.

Texas Tech University System Chancellor Robert Duncan described the report as an encouraging sign for the university.

Tech, A&M split on vet school report
Paradise Ag
AG
Not sure that article says what your thread title states.

Might want to re-read the very first paragraph.

Edit - additionally, see paragraphs on costs/funding/operations.
Lungblood
TBAT don't take no orders from nobody.

dcrown
I apologize in advance. I'm old army and haven't been back to this site in a while. What does TBAT stand for. (I know it's a reference to the sand turds but please let me know what the letters stand for) Thanks, Old army class of 78.
rayneag
AG
quote:
I apologize in advance. I'm old army and haven't been back to this site in a while. What does TBAT stand for. (I know it's a reference to the sand turds but please let me know what the letters stand for) Thanks, Old army class of 78.
Texas Bad A$$ Tech?
Lungblood
Texas Bad Ass Tech
DVM97
AG
As a veterinarian, I can say there is no "large animal" vs "small animal" degree, so im quite sure how you can teach "large animal veterinarians" exclusively?? In my experience I'm not sure there is a way to teach vet med in a cost efficient manner, and how does one teach veterinarians without duplicating what is already being taught at TAMU?? Facilities, faculty, equipment, etc. ain't cheap either.

If the state needs more large animal vets, let A&M focus on recruiting that type of student.

DVM
The Original AG 76
AG
quote:
As a veterinarian, I can say there is no "large animal" vs "small animal" degree, so im quite sure how you can teach "large animal veterinarians" exclusively?? In my experience I'm not sure there is a way to teach vet med in a cost efficient manner, and how does one teach veterinarians without duplicating what is already being taught at TAMU?? Facilities, faculty, equipment, etc. ain't cheap either.

If the state needs more large animal vets, let A&M focus on recruiting that type of student.

DVM
It's just media spin in order to get a foot in the door.
I believe that we used a similar tactic to get our ed school up and running. We claimed that it was going to be used to primarily fill the need for rural medicos or something like that.
DifferenceMaker Ag
TBAT's idea of a cost effective vet school will be an intense 3 year program that strongly promotes traditional sandt*rd methods for addressing health issues of large animals...

boboguitar
AG
quote:

DVM
Also, good luck getting this past AVMA. There's only 1 state that has 2 vet schools and it's california. There are 30 vet schools total in the country. Quite a few states would get their first vet school before tech ever gets one.
Cynical_Texan
AG
quote:

DVM
TBAT will train vets for the BDF circus which is on display annually.

DVM97
AG
boboguitar, Alabama is the only state with two vet schools, Auburn and Tuskogee (sp?). Last time I checked there were 26 vet schools in the US. There is one in the Virgin Islands I think, not sure if that one is counted.
UC Davis is the vet school in Ca, I believe.

DVM
45-70Ag
AG
If another state were going to have to two and be able to justify it with demand and need, I would think Texas could.

I understand why A&M fights it but it seems a vet school in that region could be a benefit for that area of Texas and New Mexico.
Dock
quote:
Texas Bad Ass Tech

Hell yeah
joemeister
AG
California has two, UC Davis and Western University. Western U is a small private school outside of LA. A classmate of mine went there after not getting into A&M.

List of AVMA Accredited Vet Schools
BiochemAg97
AG
quote:
If another state were going to have to two and be able to justify it with demand and need, I would think Texas could.

I understand why A&M fights it but it seems a vet school in that region could be a benefit for that area of Texas and New Mexico.
While the state could theoretically support 2 vet schools, the reality of the situation is that we have one that would be easy to expand in the near future and building a second would not be a cost effective solution.

Cost 1: The class size at A&M has not increased in quite some time due to space constraints of the largest lecture hall available for vet classes. That limitation is already being addressed with the building of new facilities. In other words, the facilities costs required for more vet students at A&M have already been spent. To add vet students at a tech vet school, you have to build new facilities. The whole plan is based on building a vet campus in Amarillo, not using existing facilities in Lubbock. Thus, the marginal cost to increase the # of vet students at A&M is significantly below the marginal cost of additional vet students at Tech.

Cost 2: faculty. Increasing the size of a lecture class does not require an additional faculty member, maybe a few TAs or assistants. Increasing a lab and/or clinical rotations may. Increasing the class size at A&M may require the addition of a few faculty members. Establishing a vet school at tech would require the duplication of the faculty at A&M, considerably more additional faculty members than needed to expand A&M. Faculty members cost money. Same with administrative costs.

Time/Accredidation: A&M is already accredited. Additional students would be attending an accredited vet school immediately. Tech is not accredited. They would need to go through the Accredidation process after building and establishing a vet school. It could easily take a decade for tech to build, staff and earn Accredidation.

boboguitar
AG
Let's also remember that the reason one would open a vet school is because there are a shortage of vets in the state. AVMA is not going to let the veterinary profession turn into what lawyers are now.
One Tooth Man
Many of those vet schools are closer to each other than A&M is to DFW.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
Let's also remember that the reason one would open a vet school is because there are a shortage of vets in the state. AVMA is not going to let the veterinary profession turn into what lawyers are now.
Jesus, every DVM should be fighting to prevent their profession from becoming what the legal one has.
boboguitar
AG
I did think of something else.

There actually is a shortage of large animal vets but that's mostly do to that particular profession being on call 24/7, driving a ton and relativity low pay compared to small animal vets. There's not a lack of people who want to be go to school to be large animal vets, it's just when they finally start working, they find out pretty quickly that it's not an easy life.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
I did think of something else.

There actually is a shortage of large animal vets but that's mostly do to that particular profession being on call 24/7, driving a ton and relativity low pay compared to small animal vets. There's not a lack of people who want to be go to school to be large animal vets, it's just when they finally start working, they find out pretty quickly that it's not an easy life.
I mean, who doesn't want to take on a lot of debt and go to school for many more years just to turn around and shove your arm up to your shoulder into a cow's ass?
Aggie1
AG
This is the biggest bunch of B.S. I've read in a loooong time...

http://amarillo.com/opinion/opinion-columnist/guest-columnist/2016-08-20/texas-tech-amarillo-answer-call-veterinary#

The Chicken Ranch
AG
I thought we were going to open a Vet School at West Texas A&M?
Maroon Dawn
AG
The fight is still on.

Tard wants to build one from scratch while we are proposing satellite campuses of our existing vet school in places like Canyon at WTAMU

If they don't like it then they shouldn't have helped block us from getting s law school all those years and then cry when the shoes on the other foot
huisachel
why have two law schools in Texas or two business schools or two schools where they teach art or speech pathology?
45-70Ag
AG
The politics of the decision is something I can't stand. If it isn't needed, don't open it. If it's needed and A&M opposes this because it's Tech, seems petty.
marble rye
AG
quote:
Tech is not accredited

That hasn't stopped them from enrolling students before.
Dock
quote:
and A&M opposes this because it's Tech, seems petty.

Nah, y'all would never be petty
Maroon Dawn
AG
quote:
quote:

You mean like how you tried to keep us from having a law school so kids would have to choose a substandard education at TBAT?
Rocco S
quote:
quote:
quote:

You mean like how you tried to keep us from having a law school so kids would have to choose a substandard education at TBAT?

It's different when they do it. Right Dock?
Dock
Y'all have a law school?
Dock
And the next time you refer to my best friend BLK's degree as "substandard" you and I are gonna have problems
The Collective
AG
quote:
Y'all have a law school?

Yep. Just barely ahead of Tech Law in the USNR, so we have a lot of work to do.
Rocco S
quote:
Y'all have a law school?

http://law.tamu.edu

Like everything else our version is superior to yours
Dock
quote:
quote:
Y'all have a law school?

Yep. Just barely ahead of Tech Law in the USNR, so we have a lot of work to do.

The good ol USNWR

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.