Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets - Swing and Longer Term Trades

144,424 Views | 901 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by insulator_king
Bulldog73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Do you think Roku still has a lot of runway or just you think it's safe to maintain?
bmks270
AG
I think has a lot of runway left.

Last data I saw had it owing 50% of the streaming market. Roku is now taking royalties from content producers, this was part of the delay in HBO Max becoming available on Roku. They have tons of leverage now in the streaming space. 1/3 of homes have cut cable, and I think the number of cord cutters will only keep rising. Roku is the market maker of streaming, what Amazon is for online shopping.

I have a half dozen Roku devices. The only OS I can compare it to is Apple TV, and I like it more than Apple TV, it's more simple and quicker to navigate even if Apple TV's is a little more aesthetic it's not as easy to navigate.

I got turned onto Roku two years ago when christmas shopping, I bough 3 of them, saw the inventory level and could see they had been selling. Did some research and jumped in the stock.

Strategy wise Roku's niche is streaming OS and delivery. For their competition in Amazon and Apple, streaming is down the list of priority. Just some marketing background study, brands who do one thing, nearly always are the market leader.

Netflix is worth about $250 Billion.
Comcast is worth about $220 Billion.
Roku is worth about $53 Billion.

I think Roku will catch up to or surpass Netflix and Comcast in market cap. Roku has also exceed analysts earnings expectations about 80-90% of the time. That's a sign of good execution.

Another thing working in Rokus favor is studios beginning to release new movies direct to streaming. My family has already watched two new releases this way and skipped theaters.
Bulldog73
AG
I appreciate it. I clearly messed up getting out at 360. I didn't see the growth opportunities left.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
I feel you. I got out at $150.
59 South
AG
Bob Knights Liver said:

Bobby! Do you even read my posts bro?!?
fig96
AG
I feel like the user experience is the big place where Roku is lacking, they use a very different model than other platforms (easiest way to install channels is from a browser) and as a whole it's kind of unrefined. I'm curious to see how they address that moving forward, the fact that they're on a variety of devices makes their UX a somewhat different kind of challenge.

That said, I bought a small chunk under 160 and I'm in for the long haul.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
59 South said:

Bob Knights Liver said:

Bobby! Do you even read my posts bro?!?

I got out at double and moved on to the next one. At the time ROKU hadn't yet earned a profit and I thought well this one may consolidate for a bit. After it went over $200 I kept waiting for the big dip to buy back in and that didn't really happen. It was like AAPL in 2008, except that one was worse because they were printing money.
tsuag10
AG
Kicking myself for not buying $RKT on Friday when my gut told me to.

Does anyone else here think there's still room to run med- to long-term? Previous resistance looks to be around 22.90-23.00, so we are past that as of today.

Anyone else see a play here?
badharambe
AG
I took a starter on $rkt today. Love the chart and the 30% short float ain't bad either.

But I'm a little crazy, hence:

Another position I started today was $nkla. Long shares and calls.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
NKLA might not be a bad one to park a little money in shares or LEAPS. It's a widely known name that could move with even a little positive news. All the EV craziness might catch this one right.
badharambe
AG
Oops

Bob Knights Paper Hands
I missed it. At least I didn't sell a call instead of buy it. I've done that before and immediately corrected it.
DallasAg2
AG
Thanks for $NKLA and $RKT and $SPCE keeps going up

I am putting a little in $NOK & $KOSS
tsuag10
AG
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Does anybody see any news coming out right now or is it just the fear of GME being a black swan fighting the dip buyers?
LOYAL AG
AG
Be careful with NKLA. They have no product. At all. Their entire play was to be acquired by GM and when that didn't happen the stock cratered. This recently run up looks a great deal like their last three run ups except that it's lower than the prior one which is true for each of the prior runs. I think this one is about maxed out. By week:

YouBet
AG
Anyone have any insight on FXAIX? Market is up 450 yet this fund is down 2.5%. It's the only red I have right now. Their top 10 holdings are 27% of total holdings and are all of Big Tech, Berkshire and J&J. Apple and Tesla are down but everyone else up. Guess there could be some losers out of top 10 but it's a bit confusing they are down right now.
fig96
AG
Quote:

but it's a bit confusing
Welcome to the 2021 markets

I'm not even going to try to make sense of anything at the moment.
YouBet
AG
fig96 said:

Quote:

but it's a bit confusing
Welcome to the 2021 markets

I'm not even going to try to make sense of anything at the moment.
Considering all of the insanity today, I should probably just ignore it for a few days.
59 South
AG
YouBet said:

Anyone have any insight on FXAIX? Market is up 450 yet this fund is down 2.5%. It's the only red I have right now. Their top 10 holdings are 27% of total holdings and are all of Big Tech, Berkshire and J&J. Apple and Tesla are down but everyone else up. Guess there could be some losers out of top 10 but it's a bit confusing they are down right now.
FXAIX is Fidelity's Mutual Fund that is designed to exactly track the S&P 500 index. Mutual funds are only priced daily at closing price. It will be updated after close today to reflect the daily change at close today. It is not a live ticker like an ETF or individual stock. You can only buy it at a daily close price and not during the day.
YouBet
AG
59 South said:

YouBet said:

FXAIX is Fidelity's Mutual Fund that is designed to exactly track the S&P 500 index. Mutual funds are only priced daily at closing price. It will be updated after close today to reflect the daily change at close today. It is not a live ticker like an ETF or individual stock. You can only buy it at a daily close price and not during the day.
Yes, thanks. I just realized/remembered that when noticed the price hasn't moved.

Makes sense now!
YouBet
AG
Unique situation here where I have about 45% of our total portfolio sitting in cash. Not on purpose; was rolling over all of my stuff from former employer to consolidate at Fidelity. Wife's stuff (the balance of our portfolio) still in market.

I'm thinking about hedging here for a bit and stay on the sidelines. Obviously tempted to buy now with this dip, but things really feel precarious right now. This is all normal long term investments in ETF's and mutual funds and not day trading meme stocks and crypto.

What would y'all do?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Completely depends on the investment timeline.
YouBet
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

I know. I'm just thinking about sitting out for a short time. Get through this volatility maybe. Never been out of the market so it's weird sitting on this much cash. Not sure how long I can stand it.
gougler08
AG
YouBet said:

Chipotlemonger said:

I know. I'm just thinking about sitting out for a short time. Get through this volatility maybe. Never been out of the market so it's weird sitting on this much cash. Not sure how long I can stand it.
My taxable account is about 30% cash right now with a lot of covered calls in place on long shares. My retirement accounts are 100% in the market, more about time in than trying to time things for me there
Chipotlemonger
AG
Agreed. Long term who the heck knows where these levels stand. Time in the market beats timing of it for retirement long term investing.

I've been wanting to rollover one of my own accounts, but have held off because of the volatility. Don't feel like guessing on it and want to wait for...somewhat more stable times.
YouBet
AG
Sat out today. Will most likely set buys for Monday opening. Can at least buy a big dip.
irish pete ag06
AG
Anyone running ATP on a Mac? How is it? I have got to upgrade my home computer and setup before summertime (I'm a coach and teacher)
Pluto88
AG
I would consider putting it where it generates income like dividend ETFs, bonds or maybe money market. I would reinvest what I can.
jtmoney03
AG
I recently did the same thing. Got the 2020 MBP and love it. However, I can't keep ATP running on it to save my life. I was pretty busy at work this week, so I haven't researched a lot yet on if I'm alone, but it was constantly crashing and became extremely frustrating. It could also be what happened this week and maybe their servers were just completely overwhelmed. I'll give it another week and see if there are improvements. If not, I will likely m move everything over to TDA.

I was also running TOS in parallel and it stayed up and strong all week. No disconnects, no crashing.

They both have their pros and cons, and personally I'd like to keep my taxable on TDA and IRAs on Fidelity, but we'll see how it goes.
jwhitlock3
Just for another data point: I run ATP and TOS on a fairly strong Asus laptop that powers all of my CAD and modeling software for my job. ATP crashes and never holds like I want it to, very slow most times and honestly infuriating to use. TOS works like a dream on that same machine, so I still do my investing with Fidelity but I chart and have all my watch lists in TOS.
jtmoney03
AG
Good to know it wasn't just me. Do you just trade through the web or move to the app when you like a set up via charts on TOS? I was doing the app this week, but I'm not the biggest fan of their app either. It's why I was pumped to run ATP on the new Mac.
jwhitlock3
No I'm not a fan of their app either. I don't do any of my trading via app, but I can if I need to with travel. I typically keep TOS up and running on a separate screen, and then I enter orders through Fidelity's site.
Colt98
AG
Man I've got very efficient trading from tos app on my phone Almost make 100% trades of my phone. Of course I am rarely at a computer during the day and pull over on the side of the road a bunch to make trades when alerts hit. Even when I am sitting at computer I'll have tos on computer and then make trade from phone.
jwhitlock3
Yeah the TOS app looks to be miles ahead of Fidelity's, I've just been able to do 90% of my trading from desktop.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.