Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets - Swing and Longer Term Trades

144,426 Views | 901 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by insulator_king
angryocotillo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got it. Thanks for the advice
frankm01
One of my favorite longs especially during Covid is CLX doing well today.
Tormentos
AG
Well time to give some input here...July was a good month and closed some good trades. Its hard not to make money in this market...over the past two months have closed out over 62 trades with ~80% of those in the green. In general my portfolio is setup with about 80% essentially long term holds where in continue to dump money in on a continual basis. This is essentially mutual funds (VTSAX, VTIAX, VTIVX, VGT) and some decent holdings in AAPL, AMZN, MSFT.

The other 20% is more for swing trades - typically trades I am executing on 1-4 week (sometimes longer) horizons and targeting 15-25%.

For July here are my closed swing trades, all were held under somewhere from a few days to weeks:
DXCM 8.3%
LUV 7%
WST 22%
MSCI 5%
TTGT 22%
UCTT 20%
RGEN 15%
TSM 15%
RGEN 14%

Current open positions looking for some quick wins:
AZEK
BJ
CRWD
FTNT
IIVI
LMNX
LUV (for the 3rd time now...I like entry just above 30)
NFLX
ROKU

I have been burned on a couple recently...I stuck to my rules and got stopped out of AMD around 48 (missed a 50% run), we see where that went! ROKU also killed me, I took an early exit back in May and missed a nice ~70% run through I'm back in now.

fig96
AG
Curious what y'all think about digital payment providers for the long haul.

I made the great call of a few shares of SQ several months ago (wish it was more), but you've also got PYPL as well as the big ones like MA and V and a few smaller companies.
fig96
AG
Got into CRWD a little while back, not sure you'll see short term gains there but I like the potential. I'm in NFLX and ROKU for the long haul, had the good luck to grab NFLX around 200 so that's been fun.
deadbq03
AG
Got into INTC today. 8/21 EMA cross on hourly charts (actually I use 9/21, but mention 8/21 since it seems to be more common. It's basically the same, but it's what I started using so I stick with it).

Ex-div upcoming. Will plan to write a covered call after ex-div.
Tormentos
AG
I bought in at CRWD when it recently bounced off the 50d MA. Entry around 100. So for a quick swing trade it almost at my sell target, I am letting it ride a little longer. Good luck.
Esteban du Plantier
RightWingConspirator
AG
I'm in the following long-term holds (3-5 years):

- CRWD
- MA
- MSFT
- AMZN
- SQ
- WEX
- ZNGA
- MTCH
- TTD
- GOCO

As far as swing trades, I'm in the following:

- PXD (admittedly, this one I'll need to hang on to for awhile)
- AMD (I got into AMD at $55.79/share - I'm open to opinions on exit prices)
"But it is easier to purchase products that denote superiority than to be actually superior in economic achievement." - Thomas J. Stanley
khaos288
AG
I'm on AMD since 44$ but planning on exiting as it nears the 100$ mark.
WGann3
AG
Anyone here taking a longer position on NET (Cloudflare)? I've seen it come up here and there in the faster paced thread. Don't think it's been discussed at all here. It's got my attention, but it's a reddit darling which typically means it's a new Robinhood investor go to... which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But always gives me a little pause.
fig96
AG
We've got several shared positions (CRWD, MA, AMZN, SQ, ZNGA, TTD). I'm also in for AAPL, TSLA (along for the ride at this point cause what the hell), NFLX, NKE, SHOP, AYX, TDOC, and DIS long term.

Starting to gradually increase positions in OKTA, ROKU, TEAM, and APPN.
Aston04
AG
'nother cycle with EGY. Buy mid-teens, sell 1.20s...
Bob Knights Paper Hands
I have some NET, not a lot. I'm planning on holding it while it's running and sell when it crosses back below 21 day ema.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
WGann3 said:

Anyone here taking a longer position on NET (Cloudflare)? I've seen it come up here and there in the faster paced thread. Don't think it's been discussed at all here. It's got my attention, but it's a reddit darling which typically means it's a new Robinhood investor go to... which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But always gives me a little pause.
I'm in it for the long haul. My current long hauls are:

APPL (I have posted several times and I could be wrong as I'm still very new to this, I think this is going to really blow up again post split)
AMD
AMZN
DAL
DOCU
MRK
MSFT
NET
RDS.A
SAVE
XERS
WGann3
AG
Good deal, thanks for the replies. Thinking about buying in today knowing earnings are tomorrow and just averaging down should it drop.
RightWingConspirator
AG
Added to my long portfolio WIX. Now I have a WIX and a WEX.
fig96
AG
I know what you subscribe to
krosch11
AG
Good lord that WIX Volume.
jtmoney03
AG
RightWingConspirator said:

Added to my long portfolio WIX. Now I have a WIX and a WEX.

WIX on, WEX off, RightWingConspirator-son
RightWingConspirator
AG
fig, yes, I'd imagine you do, but I've been pretty open about my sources. This is definitely not my own stock picking genius at play.

So far I've been handsomely rewarded for my fees. Hope it continues.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG

fig, yes, I'd imagine you do, but I've been pretty open about my sources. This is definitely not my own stock picking genius at play.

So far I've been handsomely rewarded for my fees. Hope it continues.

Who/what do you subscribe to if you don't mind me asking?
fig96
AG
Same, I've made several buys I wouldn't have otherwise that are looking really good even in the short term.

Orlando, the Motley Fool's Premium service. It's like $100 or so a year for their basic level and there is some upsell, but I've easily made that back in just one or two trades. I wouldn't have been on TTD, AYX, SHOP, or SQ nearly as early had I not been following their picks.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
fig96 said:

Same, I've made several buys I wouldn't have otherwise that are looking really good even in the short term.

Orlando, the Motley Fool's Premium service. It's like $100 or so a year for their basic level and there is some upsell, but I've easily made that back in just one or two trades. I wouldn't have been on TTD, AYX, SHOP, or SQ nearly as early had I not been following their picks.
Awesome will check it out. I see their ads all the time maybe its time to take it out for a spin. Thanks!
fig96
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

fig96 said:

Awesome will check it out. I see their ads all the time maybe its time to take it out for a spin. Thanks!
You bet, I was a bit skeptical at first too but they pump out tons of content and have some great recs.
canagian
AG
fig96 said:

I looked at MF a few years ago, but it seemed like they were pimping 10-20 new picks every week, so I figured I'd pass because it looked like they were just generating picks for the sake of generating content.

Has that changed, or are they still putting out dozens of "buy" recommendations every few days?
RightWingConspirator
AG
You do have to put up with a lot of the Motley Fool pimping other paid services, but the Stock Advisor program has but one weekly recommendation, and often they'll recommend earlier recommendations. So far I've made my money back 50 fold and I've only paid for the service a couple of months ago.

The only problem I've had with the service is their constant recommendation of stocks that are very expensive. That said, I've picked up a portfolio of about 13 recommendations and it has paid off for me.

I paid for the service for their insight and foresight. I would have never chosen these equities otherwise.
canagian
AG

You do have to put up with a lot of the Motley Fool pimping other paid services, but the Stock Advisor program has but one recommend weekly, and often they'll recommend earlier recommendations. So far I've made my money back 50 fold and I've only paid for the service a couple of months ago.

The only problem I've had with the service is their constant recommendation of stocks that are very expensive. That said, I've picked up a portfolio of about 13 recommendations and it has paid off for me.

I paid for the service for their insight and foresight. I would have never chosen these equities otherwise.
Thanks for the feedback, I may give them another look.

For the more expensive stocks, have you looked at buying options instead of the underlying stock?
fig96
AG
Definitely not that many. Their two main guys each release their list of 5 best buys now each month, then they each add a new recommendation to that in a separate news item.

There's also tons of other articles written every day by different columnists about lots of different markets and "3 whatever stocks to buy now", but those aren't part of their main picks and is where there's probably some content for the sake of generating content.

I don't take it as gospel, but their main picks as a whole have been really good and I've learned a lot from browsing their other articles to pick up things about different business segments I might not be familiar with. I figure for the price if I get just one good pick a year it easily pays for itself.
RightWingConspirator
AG
I've thought about options, but I am hoping to hold on to the underlying for three to five years. These aren't swing trades for me.
Glitch
AG
Selling covered calls and buying protective puts has produced the best results for me.
fig96
AG
Anyone have a good reference for options and puts? I have only a very loose idea of the concept and would like to learn a bit more. Thanks.
Glitch
AG
I learned a lot from tasty trades on you tube, stepping up to options, and the online courses from td ameritrade.

fig96
AG
I'll check those out, thanks.
RightWingConspirator
AG
Yes, but my account is relatively small right now. Most of my money is managed by Merrill and Fidelity, but my trading account has about $50k in it for me to play around in the market some. Selling puts is a great idea if it wasn't for the fact that if the stock is "put" to me, I don't have sufficient capital to pick up 100 shares of a 300-400 dollar stock. At least not yet.

When oil stocks sold off, I started moving more money into my trading account to take advantage. Right now my trading account has a return YTD sitting at ~72%, so I am looking to move more in with a cap at about $100k. I've been fairly methodical and don't want to get too cocky. I've lost my shorts before and would like to avoid that. Wouldn't we all??

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.