Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets - Swing and Longer Term Trades

144,418 Views | 901 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by insulator_king
YNWA_AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Intel not ibm.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
I'll jump in with an answer, I'm no 59, but I stayed in a Holiday Inn. I think with direct competitors looking to get even further behind there's less downside risk to holding shares at least 1 year versus selling late this year. I have a sell order for 1/4 of my shares that I've moved up to $85, but I'm planning on keeping the others longer. I've got calls expiring later this year and in January that I will be selling as short-term gains as well. If there does end up being a quick run up anywhere near $100 after earnings and I'll be buying the Pappy.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
My bad, fixed
gougler08
AG
The LTRPA is interesting because that huge volume spike is when LTRPB went crazy and I don't think I ever actually saw why...
krosch11
AG
Right, I went down the rabbit hole of LTRPA and LTRPB and TRIP. Still didn't find the exact details behind the move but I like it so far. Bought a thousand a shares and will keep an eye on it closely. So far so good.
59 South
AG
PWestAg18 said:

59 South,

Curious what your latest take on AMD is after the big jump on Friday. Does Intel crapping the bed on their 7 nm chip change any of the analysis you've previously given on this thread? I got in at $52 on AMD back in June, will probably hold until December and see if it hits $100 by then. But if Intel's struggles continue pushing AMD up I might as well just hold it for a full year and cash out after 12 months with the lower tax burden.

Edit: accidentally put IBM instead of Intel
Yea somewhat for sure; it does change things a bit for the better. From a pure technical standpoint the max reasonable upside was and still is about 100 by the end of the year. But the fundamentals are now better which could really blow out the technical in a good way. Earnings today should give a good indication. If something crazy happened like blowing past 100, then that's a game changer, and you get into blue sky territory. And then things can get silly, but it's not really there yet. If you're curious on fundamentals go read some of aggiedaniel's posts on the other thread.

I expected a technical breakout over 60, but the INTC news just really made it more profound. So we'll see what earnings does to it. You never know especially now... could explode more and run, could explode and sell off, could be a sell the news which would give a good opportunity to add.

For all of us that entered in the 50s though, we have a lot of buffer as well as upside so I'm just sitting on mine for now (I'm about $55 average). A little bummed because I only ended up getting 70% of my planned max position. I missed the last 30% due to the AH news last week that sent it soaring. I may pick that part up at some point if it looks ripe for adding.

All my shares are in retirement accounts so I don't have to consider taxes, and I can only sell calls on 1/7 of current shares in Roth vs 401k where I can't. So my situation and decision making will be different than yours.

From past experiences, I'm pretty convinced that you shouldn't really worry about taxes most of the time. If you want to hold it forever, then just hold, but if it explodes and you want to take some profits to be responsible, then taxes really shouldn't be a consideration unless you're trading six figure positions or more. That's just me though. It just tends to over-complicate things to me, and I end up holding too long when I knew I should have sold. I'd rather sell and pay Uncle Sam some instead of selling later at a loss!

Also agree with all of what BK's Liver says (ha, that's pretty funny to type out Love ya Bob!)
59 South
AG
Yo BKL, you're giving me way too much credit. I do have Gary Stewart's Whiskey Trip playing on the Airpods though by chance so I'm taking that as a good sign for today's earnings....
Michael Cera Palin
AG
Appreciate it guys
deadbq03
AG
PSA: Major Real Estate ETFs (VNQ, XLRE, etc) look like they might break out of their Darvas Boxes today.
WGann3
AG
Just casually strolling by to say wassup AMD
tailgatetimer10
AG
WOW.
tailgatetimer10
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

WOW.

For the third quarter of 2020, AMD expects revenue to be approximately $2.55 billion, plus or minus $100 million, an increase of approximately 42 percent year-over-year and 32 percent sequentially. The year-over-year and sequential increases are expected to be primarily driven by Ryzen and EPYC processor sales and next generation semi-custom products.
rlag09
AG
Anyone looking at Kodak after the news about federal loan?
WGann3
AG
rlag09 said:

Not after I missed out on the +203% day.
YNWA_AG
AG
Amd just hit a double digit server share market share goal. There was a Jpmorgan survey that said 60% of CIOs are thinking about adopting EPYC. Apparently have 1.2 Billion in inventory. Margins increased 5%YoY

Looks like They took on 200 million in debt to increase orders at TSMC, but they also increased cash holding. Really good call
tailgatetimer10
AG
Hah, i'll add this to this thread as well:

Reading up some stuff today in regards to gaining large server production, its def a cascading type thing. Many of the big players are waiting to see if AMD can prove consistent deliveries and consistent top tier products.

It will surely be interesting to see how they gain momentum considering it took them 4 years to get to 10%+... It should be much much faster from my understanding if they continue to execute.

I'm suspecting the 200M in advanced short term credit is for the increased guidance they gave in Q04
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
So AMD still have room up?
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

So AMD still have room up?

I'm still holding shares here, but it's likely that I sell my calls today and reinvest a portion of it at a higher strike price since all of mine are now ITM or ATM. I think long term AMD has a very real chance to run more if they continue to perform, but there is a chance for short-medium term retracement to $70 or even $65.
WGann3
AG
WGann3 said:

rlag09 said:

Not after I missed out on the +203% day.
Or you could have missed the 203% day and jumped on it for another 100+% surge today. Good gracious.
tailgatetimer10
AG
75 was my target before intel admitted to falling on their face. this thing should easily get to $85 soon. I'm fully expecting some upgrades by the analyst as the week progresses.

I need to find a new exit
59 South
AG
Cross posting from the other thread: On ROKU, I've noticed here in the UK that Hisense TV's with built in ROKU seem to have really exploded this year. They are only sold on Argos (argos.co.uk search for ROKU if you're curious) which has become more popular here due to the lockdowns. I bought a 50" a couple months ago, and it was really easy. You order and then go pick up the very next day at a major grocery store where Argos is located inside.

Anyways, I'm also looking to get another one (43"), and I've noticed a few things over the past few weeks. First, the various sizes seem to go in and out of inventory and they have all gone up 50 GBP in price since May. They also all have hundreds of reviews that are all 5 stars average or as close as you can get. Keep in mind that they just started selling these here about 6 months ago.

So it wouldn't surprise me if they report some success in the UK next week...
59 South
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

75 was my target before intel admitted to falling on their face. this thing should easily get to $85 soon. I'm fully expecting some upgrades by the analyst as the week progresses.

I need to find a new exit
From a pure technical standpoint (and I know in reality it is silly) but I seem to have read a stat before about how if a stock rises to 80 or 85, something like 75-80% of the time it just goes on to magnet to 100 without slowing down. I can't find that data, but maybe someone on here has it.
Phat32
AG
Interested in AMD if it retraces
krosch11
AG
Another smaller cap I'm watching for a long term reversal is PBPB. Daily is making a move today and if it can break through resistance it could move a bit.

I'm playing this short swing to get net free as a long term hold. Looks like this could be a final trend reversal . They also brought in a former Wendys exec to turn things around.

Open to thoughts from others.

Madmarttigan
AG
I would be concerned to grab it before earnings would be my main hesitation.

Just don't know how well fast food places are doing in general. Particularly ones without a drive through option.
krosch11
AG
Thats my thinking as well. I want to see if it can confirm higher or if it gets slapped down again. Its one I'll be watching closely as a value buy if it can reverse.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Anyone here got a buy in on GEVO? Its around$.55 rn but has some recent PTs in the $3s and $4s.
gougler08
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Anyone here got a buy in on GEVO? Its around$.55 rn but has some recent PTs in the $3s and $4s.
I like the chart...but may wait until after earnings in case it heads down
Confucius
59 South said:

Here's my current longs and what I'm eyeing. Please note these are mostly multi-month or even multi-year holds:

Current holds:
  • AMZN - if you own it, just hold it. It's going to 3000+. I finally gave in a couple of years ago and loaded up under 1600. It has broken the consolidation phase and is off. I'm not fighting it and could very well hold for another decade+.
  • JD - I'm still eyeing 65 soon for a likely fully out exit or at least half+. Needs to get back over 60 and not have a close under 57. If it does, I'd probably take that and run. It could keep going, but I'd then look to buy back under 50. Needs to cool off but could also keep this parabolic trend going for longer. I'm too exposed to China so need an excuse to lower exposure and 90% gains is good enough to smile and walk away.
  • SQ - I had planned to sell around 90-100, but I've decided to just let it run. With a macro tail wind, this thing could go to 200+. This breakout over 100 after the 18+ month consolidation is mega bullish. Look at 2017-2018 to see what it is capable of. It just needs to hold over 100 although a back test of it is almost certain. I won't be surprised to see it run to 120 or so and then pull back to test 100 before taking off. Who knows though... I'm not too concerned at watching it day to day UNLESS it gets and stays back below 100.
  • ROKU - well known here about the potential. Holding for 250-300 to sell all and then look for 120-150 pullback to buy it back. Crazy huh? But it just loves to triple and then halve. The big boys have caught onto this and are manipulating it so I'm just going to go with that until it stops repeating.
  • NIO - What a ride. I think 8.75-9.50 may be a good area to start limiting some exposure likely with some 'net free' selling combined with covered calls out a few weeks or so. It could go way higher though. Potential to 25-30 in the next year or two. High risk so proceed accordingly.
Watchlist:
  • AMD - I'm probably going to buy this today or later this week in the mid 50s. Not looking for a perfect entry. Nice cup and handle with handle box clear as day between lower and upper 50s. Any close 60+, and it's off with potential leg up to 100. 50 is the line in the sand though. Could go sideways longer so I'm avoiding options on it.
  • WKHS - Small cap so being cautious. It's been on a tear lately. I'd be more active trading it. Pullback to 3.75-4.25 range at the moment would be an entry worth considering. From there it could easily get to 10-12 before slowing down.

You had a hell of a month if you picked the stocks recommended by 59. Mind if I ask what steps and setup you are looking for in order to enter into a longer term trade?
Bobaloo
I'll jump in. Started studying stocks about fours years ago and am now obsessed with building wealth:

AAPL: Who doesn't own this stock? It is the poster child of consumer stocks. For a poor guy, I bought a large position in January 2019 at $150. I am sick that I didn't pull the trigger in March for more. Live and learn.

LOW: My guess is they will crush the quarter when they report in two weeks. They are giving $100 million to employees as hazard bonuses in the near term. This tells me all I need to know. They are crushing it. I heard the Lowe's in CS is the #1 Lowe's in the country and have doubled sales over the last 12 months as an FYI.

BRK.B: Warren Buffett is my hero. I will admit my investment in Berkshire is flat since my initial purchase and subsequent purchases on the way down. I still think it is a good long term play. They own 250 million shares of AAPL and significant positions in big banks.

Big Banks: I own positions in BAC, JPM and BK. I'm waiting patiently and believe they are in good shape long term. However, I might trim at some point for other options.

OXY: Total mad money purchase. Bought at $12.80 and will wait a couple years to see what happens.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Something I noticed this morning looking at bank charts... take a look at the 6m daily charts for C and JPM - the magnitude of the prices may be different but the shape of the trend is very similar.

I've only shown price, but everything looks similar - volume, RSI, Macd, etc. That does make sense since they are in the same industry, but the trend looked familiar the more I looked at it. Then it hit me. Compare these two some of the airlines - UAL, DAL, and even BA to some extent.

The volume is a lot lower in Feb-March for the airlines, but otherwise very similar. I thought it was interesting. I'm thinking the reason for the similarity maybe be the Fed?
angryocotillo
AG
I know practically nothing about investing so when I graduated and had been working for almost year I asked my grandpa on what he suggested I do. He suggested I invest in ETFs and index funds to get started and just hold on to them.

I open up a 403b and buy a bunch of Fidelity index funds. About a year goes by and I decided I needed to open a Roth. I open one (here is the funny/embarrassing part) and I wanted to fill it with a S&P Index fund since I mostly have NASDAQ in my other account. I didn't hardly do any research at all. I just typed "S&P Index" into Google and it came up with SPGI. It was December so I just maxed out my ROTH all at once with SPGI.

I have held onto it and been maxing out my ROTH for the last 20 months putting 80% into SPGI. Well I just found out yesterday that SPGI actually isn't an index fund and I just now know what it is. I put a huge chunk of my savings into a single stock and I didn't even know what it was.

I got really lucky however, because my original investment is up 113% in a 20 month span and in total I am up 59%! I tell you all of this in hopes that you might get a laugh out of it, but also to ask what the boards opinion of SPGI is. I haven't seen anyone mention it in the thread.

Should I hold on entirely to it or diversify it?

tailgatetimer10
AG
I think you know the answer to your question. I also think you should act quickly in this volatile market
Colt98
AG
I would sell it pretty quickly and get into something you know
fig96
AG
I'll sell it pretty quickly period, then take your time doing some research and learning about index funds and other investment vehicles.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.