Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets - Swing and Longer Term Trades

144,425 Views | 901 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by insulator_king
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What percentage of y'alls portfolio is in SPY / index funds?

I used to be at almost 100%, and after the crash I've been focusing solely on individual stocks like LUV, UAL, DIS, and now getting into AAPL, QQQ, etc.

I'm now down to 83% in SWPPX and will probably drop to the 70's soon. What is a good balance in your opinion? Assuming I'm more of longer term, buy and hold kind of investor?
Bob Knights Paper Hands
$30,000 Millionaire said:

Do you know how to get $TIKI (nasdaq) to show up in active trader pro? I use TIC.N for NYSE. I have started to hate the platform.

I will see if it can figure that out. I use similar syntax in ATP for some other indexes, like .djt, so it seems reasonable that tic.n should work.
02skiag
AG
What are y'alls thoughts on REITs for long term holds? Most are still down about half since pre-COVID. Would we expect most of their stock prices to recover the rest within a year or two?

I picked up a handful of LADR near the March bottom so it's already up a bit.
Spaceship
AG
02skiag said:

What are y'alls thoughts on REITs for long term holds? Most are still down about half since pre-COVID. Would we expect most of their stock prices to recover the rest within a year or two?

Industrial REITs should handle the pandemic pretty well but I would stay away from commercial/retail REITs. I think they'll be in for a long, tough recovery.
02skiag
AG
Spaceship said:

02skiag said:

Industrial REITs should handle the pandemic pretty well but I would stay away from commercial/retail REITs. I think they'll be in for a long, tough recovery.

Looks like industrial have fully recovered already.. I guess my question is specific to commercial/retail. I'm looking for long term holds so I'm wondering if these have a great potential for return, even if it takes some time. They've already recovered a bit from March lows. Should I expect them to drop down again?
Bob Knights Paper Hands
02skiag said:

Looks like industrial have fully recovered already.. I guess my question is specific to commercial/retail. I'm looking for long term holds so I'm wondering if these have a great potential for return, even if it takes some time. They've already recovered a bit from March lows. Should I expect them to drop down again?

I would consider REITS high risk except for those that you have a really good understanding of their financials, the market, and how those in charge would handle further downturn. A lot of renters have continued to pay since they've been given government money. When that stops what happens? Will they allow the eviction moratorium to end or extend it?

Nothing wrong with using that as a higher risk portion of your portfolio, just go in eyes wide open. Many of these will stay down for a long time or go much deeper, but there is decent upside to ones that come out of this.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
$30,000 Millionaire said:

Do you know how to get $TIKI (nasdaq) to show up in active trader pro? I use TIC.N for NYSE. I have started to hate the platform.

They require a . at the start of it. So .tic.n is the NYSE and .tic.o is the nasdaq.
deadbq03
AG
Entered today: DBX, HEAR, SFM
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

What percentage of y'alls portfolio is in SPY / index funds?

I used to be at almost 100%, and after the crash I've been focusing solely on individual stocks like LUV, UAL, DIS, and now getting into AAPL, QQQ, etc.

I'm now down to 83% in SWPPX and will probably drop to the 70's soon. What is a good balance in your opinion? Assuming I'm more of longer term, buy and hold kind of investor?
a lot. over 60%
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
thank you. i couldn't figure it out

I hate the platform, but all of my money is there. so I use TOS for research and a small BS account and ATP for trade execution.
59 South
AG

This guy is a pretty good follow. Long term investor approach vs trading, but he puts out good info. He's flipped a bit recently but is transparent about it. Also aligns with the thought that we could be in a steady grind up cycle moving forward instead of more volatility. VIX has been pretty high historically for over 2.5 years now so we are due for a few years of it being lower (historically speaking).

All of the 'this can't be happening' crowd and permabears could easily be crushed over the next few years. I'm curious what some of you older birds who have experienced more cycles think.

Bull case: It seems that there is still way more fear than euphoria all while new technologies, innovation and competition between them all run rampant. Seems like this line of thought has really spread from America to the rest of the world in the past few years. Has there ever been so many business folk in the global spotlight? (Musk, Bezos, Cook, Buffet, Cramer, Trump(!), etc.) Could the eventual business cable news and fintwit bubble be in its infancy?

Bear case that has been discussed ad nauseam: FED money, hairdressers trading, covid long term effects, etc.

*Cross posting on the stock markets thread*
If this post is on the B&I forum, lighten up it's just money!

Disclaimer: I'm not that smart.
YouBet
AG
PLUG up to $14.14. Nice 2,700% return I have going.
Post removed:
by user
I bleed maroon
AG
YouBet said:

PLUG up to $14.14. Nice 2,700% return I have going.
At that price, I had my first 50-bagger. However, I've been buying protective puts on PLUG lately, which reduces my gain.
Chickenman4
I'm relatively new to investing and posting on this board for that matter. Recent grad from December with about $6000 in the market. 75% in BABA. Am I being an idiot and need to diversify more or stay the course. My plan is to hold on to baba for the long haul. What do y'all think?
khaos288
AG
Chickenman4 said:

I'm relatively new to investing and posting on this board for that matter. Recent grad from December with about $6000 in the market. 75% in BABA. Am I being an idiot and need to diversify more or stay the course. My plan is to hold on to baba for the long haul. What do y'all think?
75% on a single Chinese stock is very dangerous.

If you believe in their business, buy some AMZN.

If you believe in the Chinese market, buy some JD.

Just don't hold one stock position that large unless you are prepared for one bad press release to cost you 10% of your holdings.
_lefraud_
AG
gougler08 said:

Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Anyone here got a buy in on GEVO? Its around$.55 rn but has some recent PTs in the $3s and $4s.
I like the chart...but may wait until after earnings in case it heads down
Legend
AG
Chickenman4 said:

It's very risky. Could work well but could also go very poorly. At your age, you can afford to take risks and let things rebound (assuming you don't have a need for that money anytime soon and it's not some type of safety net/nest egg) but I wouldn't risk it all on BABA. If you're going to have 75% in one holding, it's better to have it be some broad index or something like Berkshire that is more diversified with its various holdings.

I'd spread that out between 5-10 stocks ($500 to $1,000) positions rather than put it all in BABA.
Spaceship
AG
Just FYI, I've made a solemn promise to myself to avoid the allure of Chinese stocks. I've owned several and regretted most. That probably says a lot about my investing acumen but I won't touch them anymore.
tailgatetimer10
AG
It's OK dude, LK will turn around before you know it...
Spaceship
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

It's OK dude, LK will turn around before you know it...

Yep put that one on the regret list (I bought it after the great fraud though so not too much damage done)
I bleed maroon
AG
Chickenman4 said:

I have held BABA in an IRA for several years. That being said, I wouldn't allocate more than 10% of a recently created portfolio to it.
TriumphForks
AG
Depends on a lot of things:

1) Do you or could you reasonably have any short term need for that money? If so, probably not the best idea to invest it in single stocks. One rule of thumb I use is I don't buy stocks with any money that I couldn't afford to lose.

2) Your risk tolerance. Buying single stocks is a risky proposition. Yes, you can make a lot of money, but you can also see significant value evaporate overnight if something bad happens to a company you are invested in. It is high risk/high reward. There will be days where you feel like you got sucker punched in the gut. You have to have the stomach for it.

3) That said, allocating a high percentage of your portfolio to ONE stock is much riskier than diversifying. However, in a way, diversifying limits your "home run" potential. For example, in a diversified portfolio you will inevitably have some winners and some losers. The goal is for the winners to outweigh the losers. If you decide to go with one or two or even a handful stocks, you have the potential to win BIG if they are indeed winners, because those gains will not be offset by the losers in your portfolio.

4) It comes down to what your goals are. Are you looking for maximum risk/reward? Would you be happy with a lower but perhaps more stable return over a long period of time? Are you primarily concerned with saving for retirement? If so are you maxed out on tax advantaged accounts like 401k and IRAs? These are things you should decide before jumping in and your strategy should be tailored accordingly.
gougler08
AG
_lefraud_ said:

gougler08 said:

Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Anyone here got a buy in on GEVO? Its around$.55 rn but has some recent PTs in the $3s and $4s.
I like the chart...but may wait until after earnings in case it heads down

Luckily I didn't listen to myself and bought in at $0.56...so today was a good day on that stock
cottonpicker
AG
Another newbie question. Would it be a good idea to keep a small percentage
Of your money in the market in something like spxs to hedge against a major downfall?
I don't play options and was wondering if this might be a way of having less risk
59 South
AG
cottonpicker said:

Of your money in the market in something like spxs to hedge against a major downfall?
I don't play options and was wondering if this might be a way of having less risk
NO NO NO if you are newbie. Inverse leveraged ETFs inherently (mathematically) will eventually approach limit to zero. These should typically only be used for short/medium term hedging and really only very experienced traders. I have never owned one. There's a lot of risk in them that most people don't understand. It's just not worth it imo. Maybe there are other opinions here...

For simple traders/investors, I really think cash is the best hedge strategy. That's what I do. If I do hedge macro, which is very rare, I just buy a little bit of SPY puts.

59 South
AG
Chickenman4 said:

Depends on how active you want to be. What was your entry point? Are you cool with a 50% drop over a few months? Would you hold? Would it keep you up at night? That's the kind of questions you have to ask yourself.

I'm definitely not a financial advisor, but if I had $6k liquid when I graduated 15+ years ago (I didn't, I think I had double that the other way in debt ), here's a couple of options I'd recommend to myself depending on how many individual stocks you want to own (assuming you're at least kinda into stock picking and/or trading):

Option A (most fun & most aggressive):

• $500 IWM
  • $1000 QQQ
  • $1500 SPY or IVV or VOO
  • $1000 Stock #1
  • $1000 Stock #2
  • $1000 Stock #3 or Cash

Option B:

• $500 IWM
  • $1500 QQQ
  • $2000 SPY or IVV or VOO
  • $1000 Stock #1
  • $1000 Stock #2 or Cash

If you want more individual stocks, cut those $1000 buckets in half to $500 and pick more names. This would spread your risk out a bit and probably make it more fun and interesting. Don't pick too many though because you won't be able to keep it all sorted out in your head as well (lesson learned from experience). I still only have good size in 7 individual stocks.

As you grow your bankroll by savings, every time you have another $1k to add, add in order 1) SPY 2) QQQ 3) individual stock or cash. You could also split it each add in a ratio like 30/30/30/10 for SPY/QQQ/NewStock/IWM.

Bottom line, you are already WAY ahead of the curve on your way to massive wealth over the next few decades.

For the individual stocks, look for picks from a broad range of classes. Start with a big one like AMZN, MSFT, AAPL, etc. Venture out to other stuff like V, HD, CWH, AMD, SQ, DIS, CAT, etc. This will force you to pay attention to earnings, news cycles, etc. and you'll learn a ton about different industries and how they operate and make money.

You'll learn more in a few years about so many things business/finance/investing related, you'll wonder why you ever went to college j/k

cottonpicker
AG
59 South said:

cottonpicker said:

NO NO NO if you are newbie. Inverse leveraged ETFs inherently (mathematically) will eventually approach limit to zero. These should typically only be used for short/medium term hedging and really only very experienced traders. I have never owned one. There's a lot of risk in them that most people don't understand. It's just not worth it imo. Maybe there are other opinions here...

For simple traders/investors, I really think cash is the best hedge strategy. That's what I do. If I do hedge macro, which is very rare, I just buy a little bit of SPY puts.
Thank you 59. I really respect your opinion. I mostly lurk on this thread and the oa thread but it has
Helped me tremendously. Since jumping in the market after the COVID fall I'm up around 90-95%.
This was only buying/selling shares. I want to start messing with options but have yet to pull the trigger.
I jumped in roku and square on your suggestion. Did not get into AMD though. Missed that one.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Driving this back to the top a bit since its near the bottom...

Anyone got any updated longer plays? Simple short term swings they are doing or recommending?

I am still bullish on XERS as I think their diabetic pen which has been approved in many parts of the world but pending approval in other parts is going to bring them revenue way beyond what they are doing right now. They are low $4s right now but I think they can be $6-7 by end of year.

RightWingConspirator
AG
I went long on JD on 8/20 with an entry price of $74.31/share.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
RightWingConspirator said:

I went long on JD on 8/20 with an entry price of $74.31/share.
Same. Just yesterday at $76.85. Looks like you're already up some
RightWingConspirator
AG
Orlando,

What differentiates Xeris' treatment method for hypoglycemia from simple glucagon injections? I ask as a Type 1 Diabetic that has used glucagon injections on numerous occasions.

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
RightWingConspirator said:

Orlando,

What differentiates Xeris' treatment method for hypoglycemia from simple glucagon injections? I ask as a Type 1 Diabetic that has used glucagon injections on numerous occasions.

From what I understand it's easier to use for people who become more disoriented during a sugar event . They are not as likely to need help administering it. Also, its believed to have better shelf life . I know a little bit, but definitely not an expert.

On the investment side I believe it's had quite a bit of money come into it recently. What I like is that unlike a lot of other bios is not completely speculative. They actually have revenue on a product already and its revenue trend has been increasing by 4-5% per month.

I first got in at $2.85 or so and I'm now averaging $3.22 but I bought quite a bit in the higher $3s as well. They were trucking along consistently and nicely to mid 4s last week until they had a pr glitch with charges of misrepresentation in a TV ad, which they have since pulled and are editing it seems.

I really really dislike telling people to buy a stock as I'd feel awful if they lost out so please do take anything I say with a grain of salt!
RightWingConspirator
AG
Thanks. We're all responsible adults here - presumably. If I lose my shirt on any equity I purchase based off of a recommendation from someone else, I have nobody to blame but me.

Perusing their website, it looks like the biggest difference is the product is not in a water solution, nor does it have to be refrigerated. I'm trying to determine whether I'd pay for something like this. I can definitely think of circumstances where this would be helpful, but it would be attractive if it is also cheaper than glucagon.

It's been years since I last bought glucagon, but I want to say it ran the insurance some $700 for three?? It was expensive. The other thing I do not like about glucagon is when I have to take it, it gets me nauseas as all get out. It's to the point where if my wife has to help me in a low blood sugar event (so low I cannot help myself), she knows to try everything before reaching for the glucagon. I hate that stuff.
Whitehouse Road
AG

Would this be considered a bull pennant on SLV?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.