Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets - Swing and Longer Term Trades

138,580 Views | 896 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by AW 1880
mazag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Charismatic Megafauna said:

Nice goalposts there on 11/10 and 2/15...

October 240/280 spreads are 2.2ish
Ya. I'm actually eyeing the October $250 calls. Goal is to get them for $1.10 or less. I see DEO coming down to $197. So I might start layering in.

If that happens to be merely the first move down and there's a deeper one on the near horizon, I will just double my position barring a huge blow up of this setup.
mazag08
AG
I'm in on October $250's. Mental stop at last Thursday's bottom.
insulator_king
AG
$KRO up over 8% this morning. Yeah!
insulator_king
AG
$KRO ended up 11.3%.
insulator_king
AG
$KRO up another 8% today!
I only have 19 shares, but I am happy.
mazag08
AG
For DEO, the immediate bullish setup failed as it found a new low. But the long term (6 month) play is still valid. In fact, I think they goal post in mid February was a sign that smart money took a little profit but is still invested. There was no sustained high volume beyond a one day goalpost. That's a good sign for continuation of the trend and a bottom being near. Plus, it's following the general trajectory of S&P which is primed for new highs. So I'm still in and even considering adding to my position.
insulator_king
AG
$CLOV up 21% in early trading.
I only have 10 shares though.
Seven Costanza
AG
Anybody have a long term outlook on FB? Below $200 seems like a solid buy.
insulator_king
AG
$ARRY just broke $10, Still a ways to go for me to be in the green.
LMCane
Seven Costanza said:

Anybody have a long term outlook on FB? Below $200 seems like a solid buy.
I have bought additional 20 shares since the massive drop on their earnings day
mazag08
AG
DEO got poked with a stick.

Insert Ron Paul gif

$210 is resistance. I'll be going net free on my calls around there.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
More swing than trading, so I'll post this here. I have cash that I pulled out of stocks a couple weeks ago in a tax-free long-term investing account. My plan is to begin layering back in. 10%-20% likely early next week and then I'll figure out how I'll step back in if we keep going down or where I'll move back in if we reverse and run back above the 50-ema on QQQ and 200-ema on SPX. My thought process is I don't have to catch the bottom and I want to lock in gains from buying back at a lower price, although I don't want to be all the way back in stocks if the market really does something stupid.

When I do start buying in, I'm thinking value stocks or value stock fund so they may not get hit as hard if the market continues down. When buying back if we appear on an upswing, I'm thinking VOO with a small amount of SPXU or UPRO. I'll likely try to target some LEAPS if I see some industries that get overly beaten up like airlines were in early covid. Thoughts?
LMCane
with the recent lows- who is buying into the following?

which would you prefer for long term / retirement holding? but also which is the best buy to make NOW with the massive decreases in share price over the last year:

Microsoft

Apple

NVIDIA

Paypal

Meta/Facebook

Netflix

Amazon

Goldman Sachs

ARKK

Bob Knights Paper Hands
If I were dumping money into tech, I'd probably split it evenly between AAPL, AMZN, MSFT.
LMCane
I find it hard to believe that Facebook and Paypal and Nvidia are just going to disappear in the next 3 years

it seems more likely that at some point their share price will return to near what it was over the past few years.

if that happens, each share you own will have returned hundreds of dollars.

anyone disagree?

Bob Knights Paper Hands
First remember these companies going out of business or quickly returning to the inflated valuations we've seen aren't the only options. They could continue to trudge on or even be relatively strong, but take years to get back to ATH.

Second, while I agree the odds are very low that all of these large tech companies go broke, it wouldn't surprise me if we see several broke. Think back to dot com era - there were big name companies that didn't make it. PayPal seems like it could be replaced by Apple, AMZN, and Google. Facebook is having to reinvent itself. That may work, but it also might fail.
insulator_king
AG
So now I wish I'd put more in $GWH.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230925926303/en/
insulator_king
AG
I bought a few more shares of $MMM today, it is at 1 year low, and in fact looks to be at a 5 year low.
Over 6% yield right now.
HouAg12
AG
Thought this thread may be worth a bump - What are folks adding to their long term portfolios at the moment?
sirhc
AG
Why has it taken such a beating
insulator_king
AG
Don't know.
AW 1880
AG
The potential litigation and losses associated with PFAS (aka forever chemicals) could be the eventual end of 3M.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.