Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Chase Sapphire Reserve

58,425 Views | 391 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Herknav
Hanrahan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We got two sapphire cards after reading this thread last year. I plan to cancel/downgrade them before our annual anniversary. Is pretty sweet that we got the $300 travel credits both last year and this year with only one annual fee. We have 300k points banked as well.

Will wait for you guys to identify the next cc points gold mine.
wessimo
AG
bjork said:

Amex Plat.'s Uber/Uber Eats credit went live today. It's $15/mo and resets Saturday.

Today and tomorrow to burn this month's credit on Tacos A Go Go delivered to your face hole.

And in case you have never used Uber eats before you can save an additional $10 with this referral code: "eats-uber20off20"

DonaldFDraper
AG
Well done. There are rumors of a 100k Ink Preferred sign up bonus coming but the application process can be a bit more involved. Even if you do not have a full time business, a lot of things qualify like selling items online, "free" consulting, etc. But it can be a hassle.

Although the AMEX Platinum has increased the perks with the Uber credits, there have been 75k and even 100k sign on bonuses so I would hold out.

In my opinion, best offer out there right now is the Chase Sapphire Preferred. 55k sign up bonus + 1st year annual fee waived. Plus you can combine the points into your Reserve account and get at least the 1.5 point value.

Happy to send a referral if anyone is interested.
Aggie_Eric98
AG
what do you guys think about the USAA card which offers 2.5% cash back and no annual fee.
bjork
Stinks you have to apply in-branch. But, business cards are easy to get. Claim $0 income and you're starting to consult in whatever field you work in. Business name is your name and tax-id is your SSN. I don't know the exact count, but this has worked for me on 10+ business cards.

Yeah, wait on the Amex Plat offer. Amex cards are non-churnable, once in a lifetime. That's why the SPG personal and business at 35k are must gets before 04/05.

Remember to burn all your 5/24 slots on Chase cards that apply. And then go onto Amex, Citi, BoA, exempt Chase, etc.

Best offer right now, imo, are the SPGs. If you're "in the game", BoA's Alaskan personal and business are churnable right now. You can get 3 every 60 days at 30k bonus each. Alaskan has a lot of great transfer partners.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Is the SPG 35k close to an all time high for those cards? SPG points are some of the most valuable out there but a 35k bonus just doesn't excite me at first glance.
DonaldFDraper
AG
bjork said:

Stinks you have to apply in-branch. But, business cards are easy to get. Claim $0 income and you're starting to consult in whatever field you work in. Business name is your name and tax-id is your SSN. I don't know the exact count, but this has worked for me on 10+ business cards.

Yeah, wait on the Amex Plat offer. Amex cards are non-churnable, once in a lifetime. That's why the SPG personal and business at 35k are must gets before 04/05.

Remember to burn all your 5/24 slots on Chase cards that apply. And then go onto Amex, Citi, BoA, exempt Chase, etc.

Best offer right now, imo, are the SPGs. If you're "in the game", BoA's Alaskan personal and business are churnable right now. You can get 3 every 60 days at 30k bonus each. Alaskan has a lot of great transfer partners.

Great info here!
bjork
35k is the highest it's been. 25k is the normal.

SPG and Marriott's merger boosted SPG's value, imo. Today is the last day for the Marriott Hotel + Air redemption to apply for Southwest Companion Pass. 90k SPG/270k Marriott = 7 night. cat. 1-5 certificate and 120k RR & CP. We booked the 390k, Cat. 9 offer to lock-in the CP.

CP aside - if spouse, if you have one of those, and yourself get both, transfer 3x to Marriott. You'll have exactly enough for the Hotel + Air package of 132,000 United points and 7-nights at a Tier 3 property. That's a RT US to Spain and 7 nights at the Ritz Abama.
Leander - Ag
AG
I've spent the $4k. Where will I see the 100k points hit and does it hit automatically?

Killin Me Smalls
AG
It will hit after you pay the $4000 balance. I think.
M.C. Swag
AG
Leander - Ag said:

I've spent the $4k. Where will I see the 100k points hit and does it hit automatically?

Its automatic. In your ultimate rewards portal, there should be a section that says "Points Earned Next Statement" or something and you'll see it there. Basically it takes a full bill period to actually show up for spending.
hot dog
AG
I think it posts a few days after your statement closes. The points will appear automatically in your chase dashboard
HawthornAggie
AG
100,000 points
tlepoC
AG
I got lax on tracking and had record lows on spending. Looks like I just walked out 4k in 3 months by 23 bucks. Still don't see the credit but should have made it.
Hanrahan
AG
Can someone guide me as to what I want to do with my sapphire cards to change them to non fee cards and still keep the reward points. I'm not a churner so this is the first time I'm done something like this but the deal seemed too good not too.

Do I just call them and say I want to change the cards to the ultimate rewards card with no fee? Do I lose the travel bonus multiplier on redemption? (Or are the worth more to redeem now for travel before downconverting).

Thanks guys!
GarlandAg2012
AG
You will keep your points balance but won't have redemption multipliers anymore. I believe you need to keep at least one "Ultimate Rewards" card to keep the transfer partners as well. Not sure if there are any ultimate rewards cards that don't have an annual fee.

When I got the ultimate reserve I downgraded my ultimate preferred to a freedom unlimited. Process was very easy and instantaneous, old card still worked. They did send me a new one with an extended expiration date but the number didn't change or anything. Just call and say you'd like to switch card types. I believe you have to hold the original card for 366 days to be able to downgrade.
Hemingway
AG
The Priority Pass Select lounge access that comes with the Chase Reserve worked well for me yesterday. I was able to use the Avianca lounge at MEX, and I thought it was as nice our nicer than the United Club there.

I suppose I was worried all of the Priority Pass lounges would be terrible, but this is a nice perk.
HoustonAg2014
AG
It is better to stick with the Chase Freedom or would it be worth upgrading to Chase Freedom Unlimited? I guess it all depends on my spending because certain quarters I get 5% cash back. Both have no fee and I am assuming if I upgrade cards I still get the $150 bonus so my first year if I spend $12k on the year I will get $330 cash back.

Also if I upgrade for a year and then downgrade back after will it hurt my credit?
Foamcows
AG
So what is everyone's year 2 plan? Drop it before the 495 buck fee or keep it for another year?
Is there anything else out there right now to look at adding this year to get a similar bonus?

M.C. Swag
AG
Foamcows said:

So what is everyone's year 2 plan? Drop it before the 495 buck fee or keep it for another year?
Is there anything else out there right now to look at adding this year to get a similar bonus?

Personally, i'm keeping it as my primary credit card. I used up the $300 travel credit in about 6 weeks, so the premium only feels like $150 to me. I still think it's the best overall travel card for my needs (I'm not a churner).
khkman22
AG
Aggiesincebirth said:

It is better to stick with the Chase Freedom or would it be worth upgrading to Chase Freedom Unlimited? I guess it all depends on my spending because certain quarters I get 5% cash back. Both have no fee and I am assuming if I upgrade cards I still get the $150 bonus so my first year if I spend $12k on the year I will get $330 cash back.

Also if I upgrade for a year and then downgrade back after will it hurt my credit?
Not positive on switching between these two, but generally downgrading a card does not allow you to get the signup bonus. You'd need to sign up for a brand new card.

My year is up for my CSP, so I'm going to cancel that and then signup for the Freedom Unlimited to go with my Freedom and CSR.
Ag92NGranbury
AG
Aggie_Eric98 said:

what do you guys think about the USAA card which offers 2.5% cash back and no annual fee.
what's the catch?
lil99chris
AG
Some pretty decent deals on the Ultimate Rewards site. Picked up a flight to Hawaii for 30,000 point less than the United site.

...not sure about overbooking status.
M.C. Swag
AG
lil99chris said:

Some pretty decent deals on the Ultimate Rewards site. Picked up a flight to Hawaii for 30,000 point less than the United site.

...not sure about overbooking status.
30k savings?! Even united can't beat that.
khkman22
AG
Ag92NGranbury said:

Aggie_Eric98 said:

what's the catch?
I received an offer on that card several months ago, and if I'm not mistaken, you have to have a certain number of direct deposit transactions in an associated USAA checking account every month. Otherwise it is 1.5% on everything.
aTm_bomb
AG
I got this recently. What I like about it is the cash back hits immediately, nothe when the billing period ends.
Wife is an Aggie
Does anyone think Chase will eventually bring back the 100K bonus for this card for a short promotional event?

I have over 325K UR points right now.. Planning to sign back up for the CSP (it has been 24 months since I received that bonus so I am eligible again). Towards the end of the summer I am going to sign the wife up for the CSR. Should have our UR points up to 450K or more by end of the year.

Then the question will be what is the best way to spend all of these chase ultimate reward points to maximize value?
DallasAggie0
Just got my 150k bonus. Where should I go?
lil99chris
AG
Check out the link below. It will help explain a bit on when it is best to use the Ultimate Rewards site versus a travel partner's site.

https://www.creditloan.com/blog/chase-sapphire-reserve/
752bro4
AG
A new premium travel card coming soon - from US Bank

Upon launch, it will offer a sign-up bonus of 50,000 points after you spend $4,500 on eligible purchases within 90 days of account opening, and will come with an annual fee of $400 and an additional $75 per authorized user.
Quote:

The card boasts a long list of perks, including:
  • $325 in annual travel credits resets every cardmember year and applies to purchases made directly through airlines, hotels, car rental companies, taxis, limousines, passenger trains and cruise lines.
  • 12 complimentary Gogo in-flight Wi-Fi passes per year.
  • A discount of 15% as well as $30 off your first ride with GroundLink Black Car Service.
  • Pre-sale access and $60 off per person per event with the James Beard Celebrity Chef Tour.
  • Ability to use points for flight time as well as flight time and aircraft upgrades with NetJets Private Aviation.
  • Priority Pass Select membership with no enrollment fee for one cardmember per account (including authorized users). The member will receive complimentary access to participating lounges for the first four visits as well as four individual guest visits. After the free visits are used, entry fees will apply.
  • Benefits at Relais & Chateaux Boutique Luxury Hotels including accelerated access to the Club 5C loyalty program after two nights stayed. Benefits of Club 5C include "room upgrades, personalized services and invitations to exceptional cultural and culinary experiences; and a complimentary breakfast daily at approximately 120 participating properties."
  • Receive up to 30% off Silvercar rentals of two days or more when paying with the Altitude Reserve.
  • Up to $100 in a statement credit to enroll in either TSA PreCheck or Global Entry.
  • Complimentary continental breakfast, automatic room upgrade when available, $25 food or beverage credit and more when booking hotels that are part of the Visa Infinite Luxury Hotel Collection with the Altitude Reserve.
In addition to all the benefits listed above, the Altitude Reserve comes with an extensive list of coverage, including:
  • Car rental collision damage waiver.
  • Lost luggage reimbursement "up to $3,000 if your checked luggage or carry-on baggage and/or its contents are lost due to theft or misdirection by the common carrier."
  • Purchase protection up to $10,000 per claim and $50,000 per year to replace, repair or reimburse eligible items purchased entirely with the Altitude Reserve if they are stolen or damaged within the first 90 days of purchase.
  • Trip Cancellation/Interruption "up to $2,000 when a trip is canceled or interrupted for a covered reason."
  • Trip Delay Reimbursement "up to $500/ticket when a purchased trip is delayed for 6 hours or more or requires an overnight stay."

IrishTxAggie
AG
AMEX has their platunum sign up bonus to 75K points currently.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/card/platinum/
Stan Crowch
AG
ColinAggie said:

AMEX has their platunum sign up bonus to 75K points currently.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/card/platinum/
I just received a 150,000 point offer from them
DonaldFDraper
AG
Tell me more...
IrishTxAggie
AG
Go on...

Got a link?!
Stan Crowch
AG
No it was in the mail...sitting on my desk. Spend 10k in 3 months for the first 100k points and spend another 10k to get the remaining 50k points.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.