Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Chase Sapphire Reserve

58,211 Views | 391 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Herknav
RangerRick9211
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The game is dead unless you can find a Kroger that will still let you cash your GCs for MOs.

r/Churning has turned to opening/closing bank accounts that will let you initially fund via CC. Too much work for me.

We still buy GCs to help meet spend, though. It's like a loan from our cash stash. Purchase $1-2k in GCs three or four times a year to meet spend reqs. and spend them down between applications.
RangerRick9211
AG
quote:
No, you will not be able do use the credit through MPX like with the Amex Platinum and PRG, this is an Amex-only trick.
DonaldFDraper
AG
I understand if you are trying to get the sign up bonus ASAP but is it really that difficult for y'all to spend $4000 over 3 months? That's $1333 per month.

If so, what is your voodoo magic wizardry?!

I feel like I generally have low spending compared to others but I wish I was spending under $1333 per month on average!
klsmith89
AG
Woah... I just looked at the churning forum on reddit. I never realized this was such a huge craze with credit card points/miles. I always just got a new CC every couple of years or so and took advantage of the bonus points then, but never thought to get multiple new CC's per year.
khkman22
AG
Total spending is not a problem. However, I have some bills setup on a different card right now and switching over would be somewhat of a hassle. Since the Reserve authorized user card costs $75, I wouldn't get one for my wife to use. I would probably leave it at home for her to use for grocery shopping and gas and then I would take it when I would need it until I knew I would hit my threshold, at which point I would just keep it with me the whole time.
62strat
AG
quote:
I understand if you are trying to get the sign up bonus ASAP but is it really that difficult for y'all to spend $4000 over 3 months? That's $1333 per month.

If so, what is your voodoo magic wizardry?!

I feel like I generally have low spending compared to others but I wish I was spending under $1333 per month on average!
Are you referring to khkman22? He was answering about both him and wife signing up, so that is $8k in 3 months.

Even $1333 a month can be a lot for most people when you take out mortgage and cars, which usually can't be paid with CC. Also, most of my utility bills charge a fee for CC, so they are bank draft.
That just leaves shopping/groceries.

We just entered the 2 daycare bills zone; our monthly spending budget after house/car/monthly bills has plummeted to $1300. And $500 of that is gasoline/diapers/formula/pets.

DonaldFDraper
AG
Certainly not being critical. Just impressed!

I do not have kids so I find it even more impressive. I do help my mom out with anywhere from $300-500 in expenses per month but that is less than the cost of a kid(s). So major kudos!

I do spend some extra money on work expenses that I get reimbursed for but if I take that out, my average spend on credit cards is between $2000 - $3000 per month depending on unexpected expenses for home repair, new tires, etc. I'm not sure I could cut much further on non-necessities (restaurants, entertainment, leisure travel) and maintain the same moderately exciting lifestyle.

Mortgage and car are paid separately from credit card; I wish I could pay with my CC.

I definitely understand how trying to spending $8k in 3 months would be daunting...
mikethetxaggie
AG

62strat
AG
quote:

I do not have kids so I find it even more impressive. I do help my mom out with anywhere from $300-500 in expenses per month but that is less than the cost of a kid(s). So major kudos!

I do spend some extra money on work expenses that I get reimbursed for but if I take that out, my average spend on credit cards is between $2000 - $3000 per month depending on unexpected expenses for home repair, new tires, etc. I'm not sure I could cut much further on non-necessities (restaurants, entertainment, leisure travel) and maintain the same moderately exciting lifestyle.

Mortgage and car are paid separately from credit card; I wish I could pay with my CC.

I definitely understand how trying to spending $8k in 3 months would be daunting...
Oh yeh before kids, we easily spent $3-$4k a month on credit card. In 2014 (1st child born in 10/14) we spent $45k on credit card according to year end report. (not including a $15k single one time purchase)
2015 was $31k. (day care was the other $15k)
2016 on track for about $20k. Next year better be about $15k or less! ($30k on daycare)

So ~$40k was likely our sweet spot for many years before kids.

Shows how much it can vary even within the same household. In 2014 I spent $4000 on beer just from the store, so it's pretty easy to identify things that need to stop when needed!

Waltonloads08
AG
Just got the new Reserve in the mail, will plan to transfer points from my Preferred and then lower the Preferred to a Freedom.

Seems like a great deal so far. Will probably do the same again in another couple years.
Post removed:
by user
DonaldFDraper
AG
quote:
Just got the new Reserve in the mail, will plan to transfer points from my Preferred and then lower the Preferred to a Freedom.

Seems like a great deal so far. Will probably do the same again in another couple years.

Good plan. I posted on another thread but I am debating which to open first between the Chase Ink Plus for 70,000 points or the Sapphire Preferred for 55,000 points then downgrading to a Freedom Unlimited (already have the regular Freedom).

Link to post here:

https://texags.com/forums/57/topics/2772743/replies/46993613
Buck O Five
AG
Good info here.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Is the application link not working for anyone else?
DonaldFDraper
AG
Any one have a Chase Sapphire Preferred referral link they want to send me?

I am about to sign up to get the 55,000 sign up bonus points then downgrade to the Freedom / Freedom Unlimited.
GarlandAg2012
AG
You got it, what email do you want it sent to?
Wife is an Aggie
quote:
quote:
You spent $4K on beer from the grocery store? How much do you drink?

Party pooper alert!
SLF11
AG
Draper, what is your email?

i have a link to send for the CSP (i, too, just got the CSR)
The Pilot
AG
They were having issues, link works again.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Just got approved for the CSR.
The Pilot
AG
Me too.
FTAco07
AG
How long did your approval take? I just applied yesterday to move up from my CSP that I'll downgrade to a free card after combining points. Between what will be 250k Chase points and 150k American miles I don't think i'm going to pay for a flight for a long time.
The Pilot
AG
Approval came right upon finishing the application
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Oh yeh before kids, we easily spent $3-$4k a month on credit card. In 2014 (1st child born in 10/14) we spent $45k on credit card according to year end report. (not including a $15k single one time purchase)
2015 was $31k. (day care was the other $15k)
2016 on track for about $20k. Next year better be about $15k or less! ($30k on daycare)

So ~$40k was likely our sweet spot for many years before kids.

Shows how much it can vary even within the same household. In 2014 I spent $4000 on beer just from the store, so it's pretty easy to identify things that need to stop when needed!

You spent $4K on beer from the grocery store? How much do you drink?
Well, presumably some of the beer was for guests, and not drunk by him. But, doing the math: 4000/12 = $333/mo spent on beer. Presuming $10/six pack for simplicity, one can suggest a little more than 1 six pack per day.
Duncan Idaho
Is the Priority Pass Select membership worth a crap?

I travel almost exclusively domestic.
Endo Ag
AG
***** Kids are out of daycare, but we run 4-10k per month through cards.
Hanrahan
AG
What the heck. Got the card even though the airport lounge access is worthless and the crappy $75 fee to add a second card. Hopefully extracting that $1500 of value won't be a pain and will actually net out $1500 in benefits.
aTm_bomb
AG
Genuinely curious about the "worthless" lounge membership? Seems like it is touted as a legitimate perk... bit i am not a regular lounge participant so i dont know much about that stuff.
Diggity
AG
IIRC, they only allow you in during certain hours, it's not usually the best lounges, and you can't bring a guest without paying a fee.
Hanrahan
AG
Out of the 900 lounges you have access to, looks like
Maybe 15 of them are in the us and those are almost all in the international terminals. It's really only for international travel.
Hanrahan
AG
And rather than pay $75 for an additional card, I just got a second one for my wife.

I guess chase would rather have me pay $450 instead of $75 and get another 100k in points and another $300 travel credit and then downgrade the wife's after we use the credit and transfer the points.
GarlandAg2012
AG
I thought someone confirmed that guests are allowed with the CSR but I could be wrong.
RangerRick9211
AG
I'm sure it's like the Amex PP - free to member and $27 per guest. We've used PP in Europe. Lounges are hit-or-miss, but most have been nice.

Domestically, it doesn't compare to the Centurions lounges.
Boiling Denim
quote:

What's the process like for transferring points and downgrading cards? Do you need to do it over the phone or in a branch or can you do it online?

I'm in the same boat but haven't applied yet
The Pilot
AG
My new card is plastic. #firstworldproblem

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.