Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Chase Sapphire Reserve

58,201 Views | 391 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Herknav
Mustang1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
True. Also, apparently the $300 travel credit is in a calendar year, so if you spend $300 this year and $300 next year, you could get $600 in free travel + 100,000 points and only have to pay the annual fee once.
Wow, this is too good to pass up.
TSW2012
AG
quote:
My wife and I have shared a capital one venture rewards card for years. Is there any reason for us NOT to switch to this card?

I believe capital one is $89/year if I remember correctly. The $525 it would cost me yearly for this card make me nervous.

We spend a lot on dining, and I spend on dining for work. We travel a couple times a year.

Thoughts?

I would sign up for one each for you and your wife rather than AU. Then use the travel bonus twice and sign up bonus then add her as AU on your acct.
Wife is an Aggie
Was on the fence about signing up for another card.. But figured i can't pass up 100K free points. Just got approved so the wait begins for the new card.
khkman22
AG
So if I wanted to sign my wife up for this first, but she has no income, do I just put the total household income or split the total and just show half? I don't sign up for cards often enough to know how they ask it. I'd prefer not to lie, so just curious what is best to get around it.
hot dog
AG
Total household income works.
RangerRick9211
AG
They overnight it to you.
CoolaidWade
AG
Just got approved.....

Just a no-brainer for me considering the 300 travel credit. It's only $50.00 more then the Preferred card which I have been using for a few years now. It would actually make up for itself without the 100k bonus.
CoolaidWade
AG
Ok.... so just got a ups text saying it's delivered. Literally 24 hours from approval to card in hand.
FTAco07
AG
Any idea how long it's going to take to ship the aluminum cards for those that got plastic originally? My CSP stretched out the card holder slot in my wallet and now the plastic card keeps slipping out.
Diggity
AG
this is why you don't swing
khkman22
AG
Does the first $300 in travel also count toward the $4k spending threshold, or do they exclude that just like the annual fee?
DonaldFDraper
AG
It counts toward the $4k spend for the bonus. Things like fees, balance transfers, etc do NOT count toward the spend for the bonus.
khkman22
AG
I'm trying to figure out if I can easily make the $4k limit so I didn't want to cut it close and then find out that didn't count and kept me from getting the bonus.
TSW2012
AG
quote:
I'm trying to figure out if I can easily make the $4k limit so I didn't want to cut it close and then find out that didn't count and kept me from getting the bonus.

You could just buy visa gift cards at the grocery store if you get close.
hot dog
AG
quote:

You can also pre-pay expenses like cable, insurance, gas, etc.
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
I'm in on two of these. Anyone want to refer me?
CoolaidWade
AG
So I just transferred all the points I accumulated from the preferred card to the reserve. So if I cancel or downgrade the card is I won't lose those points?

Pretty nervous. Like I thought about dumping over 100k points to southwest just To be sure they won't vanish. I can't have both sapphire cards.
DonaldFDraper
AG
I would but no referrals on the Reserve
Diggity
AG
You won't lose the points
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
Just got one for me and one for my wife. Can someone confirm I'm hitting the highlights:

Need to spend $4k on each in next 3 months.
If we want to use points for United flights, we can get 200,000 points transferred to United.

Is that right?
TSW2012
AG
quote:
Just got one for me and one for my wife. Can someone confirm I'm hitting the highlights:

Need to spend $4k on each in next 3 months.
If we want to use points for United flights, we can get 200,000 points transferred to United.

Is that right?

Yup. Or 300,000 in the UR portal.
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
Wow, I need to check that portal.
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
Wait, can I spend 300,000 in the portal on $3k worth of Amazon giftcards? Or is it only if I buy actual products in the store?
khkman22
AG
quote:
Wait, can I spend 300,000 in the portal on $3k worth of Amazon giftcards? Or is it only if I buy actual products in the store?
The points are worth 1.5 points when using to book travel through the portal. However, it's not always the same price you could book independently outside of the portal. You would just have to see what the cost is at the travel partner's site vs the UR portal. I think transferring to FF miles is one of the best uses, depending on the flight you are trying to take. Hyatt also has some pretty good deals on the low to mid-end hotels if you're part of their rewards program.
idAg09
Has anyone been billed the $450 fee? I've received the first statement and 100k bonus points, but no annual fee yet.
birdman
I don't know anything about this credit card. But the current Bloomberg magazine has the cover article about the Saphire credit card.
Ornithopter
AG
Can you get the points if you already have a Chase card?
singer10
AG
Mine was billed to my account even before I got the card. It's the first charge on my statement.
hot dog
AG
quote:
Can you get the points if you already have a Chase card?

Yes
devastor
AG
So to confirm. If I get 1 for me and 1 for me wife, I can combine each of our 100K signup points together to one account?

GarlandAg2012
AG
Call Chase and ask. You will get 200k points from it, not sure if you can combine them.
RangerRick9211
AG
More general Churn Board info, but UR transfers to Marriott so still applicable.

SPG and Marriott have killed it with their merger. SPG transfers 3:1 to Marriott and will match status. Amex Plat. just got a buff and now includes Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold and Ritz Gold.

Marriott's most advantageous redemptions is their travel packages. Smallest denomination offered is 200k Marriott points for a 7-night Cat. 1-5 certificate and 55,000 airline miles. The most efficient is the 270k Marriott for 7-night Cat. 1-5 and 120,000 airline miles. Marriott Personal, Business and CSR sum to 280k Marriott points. If you redeem the 120,000 miles on AA, it's enough, with some spare, to RT 2 to Europe and 7 nights of hotels.
RangerRick9211
AG
Woah, and SPG allows spouses to transfer points between one another. So two spouses get the CSR for 100k each, transfer to Marriott, transfer to SPG, combined the sum in SPG, and transfer out to Marriott for a 200k sum. That's equal to a 7-night certificate and 50,000 airline miles - enough for two one-way, off-peak tickets to Europe on American.
DonaldFDraper
AG
With Chase Ultimate Rewards, My understanding is you can transfer between authorized users / someone in your same household so that should be your spouse.

They have cracked down on how many people you can transfer rewards to/from but if it's between your spouse and you, you should be fine.
DonaldFDraper
AG
I was reading this weekend about people doing the Marriott packages to earn the SW Companion pass.

Watch out for conversion rates though. Sometimes it may not being 1:1 from UR to Marriott to SPG so 200k UR points won't actually end up as 200k some where else. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.