Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Chase Sapphire Reserve

58,186 Views | 391 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Herknav
khkman22
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
So to confirm. If I get 1 for me and 1 for me wife, I can combine each of our 100K signup points together to one account?
Yes. Just choose which one you want to have the points and transfer to that one. I transferred from my work account (which the main account holder is not me) to my personal without any problem. They just ask you to verify you are combining with an account that is owned by you or your spouse.
RangerRick9211
AG
Interesting, I've never not seen them transfer 1:1.

The Marriott packages might be the best route to go now that 5/24 has put a damper on the SW churn every 24 months. Wife's CP is good through 2017, and then it was back to me for 18-19'.

If we combine all of our SPG (3:1), UR and Marriott points today into Marriott via SPG, we're pushing 700k in Marriott points. Our best option might be to wait and redeem the 540k Marriott package in Jan. of 18' for 120k RR for CP and a 7 night. cert for a Ritz.
DonaldFDraper
AG
Looks like you could do it for as little as 270k Marriott points...

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/02/southwest-companion-pass-transfer-hotel-points/
Duncan Idaho
quote:
Looks like you could do it for as little as 270k Marriott points... thanks

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/02/southwest-companion-pass-transfer-hotel-points/

Interesting. Does southwest fly anywhere that I would want to stay for 7days?
RangerRick9211
AG
Right. And it's the most efficient column at Cat. 1-5.

But if you have the sum (especially for SPG and MR that just shot up in value when redeemed for Marriott packages), it's hard to beat the value of a 7-night cert. at a Ritz, e.g. 7 nights at Cat. 5 Residence Inn in NYC is valued at ~$1,395 vs. 7 nights at Ritz Central Park valued at ~$6,265.

If Marriott/SPG weren't revamping the transfer and rewards packages in 18', I would agree that saving the additional 270k for another year's CP redemption is the best value. But word on the street is that the revamp won't be kind to the travel packages. Probably rightfully so, 3:1 with the current Marriot packages is crazy. Specifically for SPG and MR, this is buy-on-sale until 2018.

I wonder if Amex is going to do their 50% bonus MR to SPG transfer offer this October like previous ones. That would make my Plat. bonus transfer to 180k Marriotts.
Jones12
AG
Question.. I transferred 50k points to southwest from chase UR and I didn't receive points towards the companion pass after using them to fly wanna get away tickets. Do you have to fly business select or the other option to get those points to qualify?? I also saw somewhere you have to transfer to a hotel first then to SW. Any clarity would help.
GarlandAg2012
AG
This is a bit old but here's a guide:

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/12/elite-status-series-southwest-rapid-rewards-a-list/

Looks like Companion Pass points are earned a little differently than the other tiers (A list and A list preferred)
DonaldFDraper
AG
One off question... What do you Chase guys do for gas purchases?

None of the Chase cards seem to offer very good rewards on fuel purchases.
khkman22
AG
quote:
One off question... What do you Chase guys do for gas purchases?

None of the Chase cards seem to offer very good rewards on fuel purchases.
Freedom offers 5% for a quarter once a year. But I don't have a non-Chase card so not sure what is best the rest of the year.
Diggity
AG
AMEX Blue Cash Preferred.

$95 year for the fee but it will pay for itself with 6% back on groceries (up to $6K in spending) and 3% back on gas and most department stores.

I actually use the Sallie Mae U-Promise card for gas, but I don't think it's offered anymore (can't find it on their website). No annual fee and they count Amazon as a book store so I use it for that and gas purchases.

The Pilot
AG
For gas I use PENFED PLATINUM CASH REWARDS. I don't drive as much anymore but it's 5% cash back.

PenFed
DonaldFDraper
AG
Thanks guys!

I already have the AMEX Blue Cash Preferred and Sam's club card. Sam's offers 5% cash back on gas.

I was curious if there were any decent options for gas spending that earns Chase Ultimate Rewards.
Diggity
AG
Gotcha...the only one I know of is the quarterly Freedom gas bonus that was mentioned.

I don't spend that much on gas so it's never been a huge priority.
DonaldFDraper
AG
Yeah, I don't spend much either so I will probably just use the AMEX or Freedom Unlimited when it's not the 5% on the Freedom.
Wife is an Aggie
Apologies if this has been covered already but does the $450 fee count towards the $4k spending requirement?

Probably won't matter as I will hit it regardless but want to make sure.
TSW2012
AG
Wife is an Aggie said:

Apologies if this has been covered already but does the $450 fee count towards the $4k spending requirement?

Probably won't matter as I will hit it regardless but want to make sure.

No, it's excluded.
TexasAggie73
AG
I have the Chase Reserve card and purchase American Airlines tickets from the Chase ultimate rewards site and we saved money over what the AA airlines site charged and received the $300 credit the same time that the charge went through. Chase Reserve offers other perks that I have not seen other companies offer.
752bro4
AG
Got 5/24'd

800+ fico, checking/savings, and a CC (Marriott) with chase as-is

Going to call the reconsider number later this week.
DonaldFDraper
AG
5 with Chase or 5 in general?
hot dog
AG
DonaldFDraper said:

The 5/24 rule is 5 in general. Doesn't matter if they are Chase cards.

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-524-rule-explained-detail-need-know/

752bro4
AG
DonaldFDraper said:

yep, general...but I may have an argument.

2 of my credit lines over the last year were points chasing (SPG Amex and Marriott). The others are the result of converting an old Amex green into their free Amex every day (no fee), and what I count as 2 cards closed and opened because of online fraud and Citi cancelling a card and sending me a new one.

I have 5 credit lines total, multiple should be more than 2 years old.
GarlandAg2012
AG
I think some people have also had some luck applying in a branch to get around the 5/24. Good luck.
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
A little off topic, but I recently received a targeted offer for 2.5% cash back on all purchases w/ a USAA visa signature. That is the highest straight cash back I have ever seen.
khkman22
AG
Husky Boy Jr. said:

A little off topic, but I recently received a targeted offer for 2.5% cash back on all purchases w/ a USAA visa signature. That is the highest straight cash back I have ever seen.
I received it too and to maintain the 2.5%, you have to have a minimum of $1,000/mo direct deposit to a checking account. Just FYI if USAA is not your main checking account.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Applied in early September, got my card 4 days later. Spent quite a bit on it in Bali, Thailand and Taipei. Just got my statement and my $300 travel credit is posted. Need to spend $500 more for the 100K bonus. Will use that and other UR for upcoming anniversary trip early 2017. Flights will be paid in full with UR with lots left over. Really like this card already.
CoolaidWade
AG
It really doesn't take much to use that travel credit. I just got the card last month and just by using uber I knocked off about $60.00. When you check your account online the credit appears instantly. I'm taking a trip in November so the hotel and rental car should take care of the rest of the credit.

Don't forget to use it before the end of the year since it's based on a calendar year. Will be interesting for people who get their card in December.

EDIT: And speaking of rental car and I'm sure it's been mentioned in the five pages of this thread but the insurance is primary with both sapphire cards no matter how pushy those rental car agents are when you are declining their coverage. Anything happens to your rental car you don't have to contact your insurance provider at all. Just contact Chase directly.
DonaldFDraper
AG
Also... With Avis, National and Silvercar, you get "enhanced benefits" - upgrades, discounts, and special offers.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
I've had an AMEX gold reward card since 2010. Probably going to make the switch to this chase card soon. Closing that account shouldn't hurt me too bad right? I'm a 800+ on all bureaus etc. It appears I can't downgrade that card to a non-annual fee card from Amex because you can't go from a charge card to a credit card with them without closing the account. Doesn't appear that closing a charge card account has a huge effect on your scores etc. Anyone else gone through that?
Guitarsoup
AG
It will hurt a little, but as long as you aren't buying a car or house anytime soon, I wouldn't worry about it.
DRE06
AG
Just got the CSR card.

Wife and I have been using the Chase United Airlines (1x points on all purchases, 2x United purchases, & free bags) for everything.

Now moving to 3 card lineup:
CSR - Food/Restaurants & non-United travel (3X points)
United Card - United flights (free bags for wife & I)
Fidelity Visa - Everything else; 2% cash straight to brokerage account ($0 annual fee)

The United card has a $95 annual fee, but we would spend more than that on bag fees visiting her family in forbids 4-5 times a year.
devastor
AG
DRE06 said:

Just got the CSR card.

Wife and I have been using the Chase United Airlines (1x points on all purchases, 2x United purchases, & free bags) for everything.

Fidelity Visa - Everything else; 2% cash straight to brokerage account ($0 annual fee)

The United card has a $95 annual fee, but we would spend more than that on bag fees visiting her family in forbids 4-5 times a year.
This is what I'm doing as well for CSR & United Card. But don't forget you want to spend $25,000 a year on United to get the annual 10,000 mile bonus!
Tonyperkis
AG
devastor said:

DRE06 said:

Just got the CSR card.

This is what I'm doing as well for CSR & United Card. But don't forget you want to spend $25,000 a year on United to get the annual 10,000 mile bonus!
So I have the CSR and the United card. Just to clarify, don't you get the free bags by having the card itself (i.e. $95 fee)? If so, would it be more beneficial to use the CSR for booking United flights vs. the United card since it is 3x vs. 2x. Apologize if this has been addressed as I haven't read the entire thread.
DRE06
AG
You don't get the free bags unless you purchase the flight with the United Card. Learned this the hard way and absolutely no wiggle room. In fact, my wife & I both carry the United card, but since I'm the primary name on the account, even is she buys a flight with her United card, she doesn't get free bags.

I have to be on the flight with her.
DRE06
AG
DRE06
AG
devastor said:

I won't be reaching the 10,000 point bonus anymore. Would rather just throw that $25k on the 2% Fidelity card.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.