Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Chase Sapphire Reserve

58,199 Views | 391 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Herknav
FTAco07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How do they make it plastic after everyone loved the metal CSP? That's bush league.
The Pilot
AG
Read an article that said they ran out and will send metal later.
klsmith89
AG
Mine is metal
idAg09
Just signed up for the Sapphire Preferred last month, but should still be under the 5/24 rule. Do you guys think there be any issues with getting approved?

Is it still worth it if I and am only looking to get the 100k points and will cancel before the next fee?
With two kids under 3 and another on the way, there won't really be much traveling coming up for a while (other than a solo Chicago business trip next month).
GarlandAg2012
AG
They couldn't make the metal ones fast enough and will send them out to replace the plastic cards as they become available.
Natasha Romanoff
Shouldn't be too big of an issue as long as you don't have more than 2 new Chase cards in 30 days.

Also, just something to think about next year, you can downgrade the Reserve to a Freedom or Freedom Unlimited if you want to keep the credit line open but not pay the fee.
GarlandAg2012
AG
True. Also, apparently the $300 travel credit is in a calendar year, so if you spend $300 this year and $300 next year, you could get $600 in free travel + 100,000 points and only have to pay the annual fee once.
khkman22
AG
quote:
True. Also, apparently the $300 travel credit is in a calendar year, so if you spend $300 this year and $300 next year, you could get $600 in free travel + 100,000 points and only have to pay the annual fee once.
Did you call on that and ask them? I read it on TPG's site but I can't remember if I read it in the terms and conditions or not. I have been meaning to call and ask just to verify, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Natasha Romanoff
quote:

Yup. If I was able to get the Reserve, the plan would be to keep it until the 2nd annual fee posts, downgrade to another Freedom to avoid paying it. So I would pay $450 for $600 in travel credits + 100,000 points. I already have an Amex Plat and Citi Prestige, so no need for a 3rd premium card, and I don't eat at restaurants/have travel expenses enough to make the 3x points worth it over the 2x of the Preferred.

But to each their own. Some folks who don't care about credit history may want to just close the Reserve. As long as you have one of Chase's fee cards (Reserve, Preferred, or Ink+), you retain the ability to transfer points.
Natasha Romanoff
quote:
quote:
Did you call on that and ask them? I read it on TPG's site but I can't remember if I read it in the terms and conditions or not. I have been meaning to call and ask just to verify, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

No need. This is how it'll work. The annual fee is per card member year, the travel credit is per calendar year.

Edit: if you want to verify, a secure message can be sent on Chase's website to avoid talking with customer service reps.
GarlandAg2012
AG
I have not called and asked but I will check the cardmember agreement tonight.
idAg09
quote:
Shouldn't be too big of an issue as long as you don't have more than 2 new Chase cards in 30 days.

Also, just something to think about next year, you can downgrade the Reserve to a Freedom or Freedom Unlimited if you want to keep the credit line open but not pay the fee.

I'm right over the 30 days. Thanks for the tips.
DonaldFDraper
AG
Timely...

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/09/all-about-priority-pass-program/
idAg09
Instant approval. Checked the UR portal, wow some good deals to be had.
RangerRick9211
AG
quote:
Timely...

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/09/all-about-priority-pass-program/
FYI, the articles has been confirmed incorrect. Chase clarified on Twitter yesterday that CSR includes two annual waivers for guest, and then $27/guest thereafter.
FTAco07
AG
Just transferred my CSP points to the new Reserve, and I'll meet my $300 annual travel credit expense next week. It's raining free stuff!

Anybody know if you can downgrade a CSP to a Freedom card online or do you have to call customer service?
Natasha Romanoff
I believe you can do it online, but haven't downgraded with Chase before. Edit: you can only downgrade if your card is a year old or more.
The Pilot
AG
Online. I just did mine.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Both of my cards are showing up on my account but I only see one pool of points. Do you have to actually do something to "transfer" them from the CSP to the CSR before downgrading the CSP?
khkman22
AG
quote:
Both of my cards are showing up on my account but I only see one pool of points. Do you have to actually do something to "transfer" them from the CSP to the CSR before downgrading the CSP?
When first logging in, it just shows total UR points on the left sidebar. When you click on it, it should give you an option of which account you want to go to. If you still only see one, it could be because nothing has posted to your CSR yet. But I can go to my Freedom or CSP points account separately. If I want to transfer, I can transfer from either points account. I would wait until after your first statement and see if you are still having the same problem if you can't see both right now.
Natasha Romanoff
If you go to your UR portal hompage, hover on the drop down at the top where it says X pts (next to "Trips" and "Favorites"), at the bottom of pop up, you should have a "Combine Points" option.
Harry Stone
AG
Nice. Just signed up. Im approching 2,000,000 points so this will put me over the top
DonaldFDraper
AG
Goodness. What are you saving them for?
Harry Stone
AG
2 weeks to new zealand. But seriously, i have 2 business cards that i get about 70-80k in pts a month. I just havent been using them the last 2 years with kids.
khkman22
AG
quote:
Nice. Just signed up. Im approching 2,000,000 points so this will put me over the top
And I thought I was doing good with my 400,000.
Hemingway
AG
Signed up when first available and got the card in time for a family trip. Charged the room and the $300 travel credit appeared as soon as the resort charge cleared. It could not have been easier.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Do you have to spend a full $300 to get any credit? I've probably spent $150 on travel-related expenses thus far but see no credit.
FTAG 2000
AG
As soon as your travel costs post you should get a credit for them.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
I can confirm. My first hotel stay was immediately credited. It was for $271
FTAG 2000
AG
I had booked a flight ($450) with mine, had a credit right after it on the online statement for the $300 travel credit.
Ag13
AG
Are you sure what you are doing is coded as travel? Gas, for example, would not be travel. Flights, hotels, uber, etc would be though.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Just looked through my statement and credits are starting to show up. Uber and airport parking. Thanks.
Post removed:
by user
Natasha Romanoff
quote:
This is a great card. Chase's 5/24 rule has put a damper on my sign up bonus churning so I have to wait awhile to get it. Hope they don't dilute the sign up offer after awhile.

Ditto. They probably will, but even at 50,000 points + travel credits it's a heck of a deal for the first year.

I'm hoping it'll stay at least at 75,000 points for a while. Just FYI - you can try and bypass the 5/24 rule by going in branch and see if you're pre approved. It's not a guarantee, but it seems more 5/24 folks get approved than not.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
My wife and I have shared a capital one venture rewards card for years. Is there any reason for us NOT to switch to this card?

I believe capital one is $89/year if I remember correctly. The $525 it would cost me yearly for this card make me nervous.

We spend a lot on dining, and I spend on dining for work. We travel a couple times a year.

Thoughts?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.