Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Chase Sapphire Reserve

58,203 Views | 391 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Herknav
IrishTxAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is that the platinum or the platinum business? Two different cards and those limits sound like it is the business card.
Stan Crowch
AG
Yes sorry... Platinum Business
The Pilot
AG
Changes to the CSR

The wife and I each have one, so we'll have to re-evaluate if it makes sense to keep both.
permabull
AG
ORAggieFan
The changes will be a huge benefit to me as a frequent Lyft rider (both work and pleasure) and DoorDash user.
wessimo
AG
Annual fee up by $100 is partially offset by the $60 in free DoorDash the first two years.

On the other hand, the value of lounge access has gone down a lot due to overcrowding. I doubt we will renew when the hike takes effect.
DonaldFDraper
AG
Interesting. Raising to $550 has been a rumor for some time. Same as Amex Platinum now. I'd like to see them add something more in line with the Hilton/Marriott status. That said, the simplicity of the perks and wide range of points earning options are great with the Reserve.

$550 annual fee - $300 travel credit = $250 - $60 Door Dash = $190 net annual fee. Probably still worth it.

I get $190 worth of value out of the points and other perks. Lounges, travel protections, etc.

Lyft and Door Dash perks are nice. Curious to see what they'll be after a year.

Your break even on travel and restaurants is $351.85 per month

Heavy math:

$190 * 100 = 19000 points / 1.5 minimum redemption value = 12666.66

12666.66 / 12 months = 1055.56 dollars per month

1055.57 / 3x = $351.85 spend

Any spending after that is profit. Plus you can get more than 1.5 value on the points in some cases.
ORAggieFan
I looked up my usage, $3200 in Lyft last year. That would be 32,000 points. Easily worth the $100 additional.
Out in Left Field
AG
ORAggieFan said:

$3200 in Lyft last year
The Pilot
AG
Being able to use this card for work purposes would be great. My wife would be close to $5K in Lyft if she could use it for work.
sawthemoffxx
The lyft membership is only one year though
Vernada
AG
I've never used DoorDash before, but fortunately hey serve my area so I'll certainly give them a try now.
Leander - Ag
AG
What is the "100" below?

$190 * 100 = 19000 points / 1.5 minimum redemption value = 12666.66
jamaggie06
AG
Cant say foe certain, but typically points arent "one to one" ie, you get 100 pts or some amount per dollar spend. But, by the same token, rewards are given in pts, but with totals that are about 100 greater than the dollar value.

Thats my guess

If that makes sense.
DonaldFDraper
AG
100 points = $1 if redeemed for cash back with Chase.
aTm2004
AG
Put our Disney vacation on ours, and surprisingly, they classified it as travel. Valuing at $0.015 (travel), it got around $250 in rewards and my $300 credit for something I was already paying for.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Vernada said:

I've never used DoorDash before, but fortunately hey serve my area so I'll certainly give them a try now.
I use DoorDash all the time. It's great. I like it more than UberEats or GrubHub.
Vernada
AG
DonaldFDraper said:

100 points = $1 if redeemed for cash back with Chase.
And if you have the Sapphire Reserve, and redeem for travel via their portal, you get an additional 1.5x multiplier.
aTm2004
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Vernada said:

I use DoorDash all the time. It's great. I like it more than UberEats or GrubHub.
I dunno. I just don't trust someone having private access to my food. I rarely use Uber/Lyft and have never used Doordash/Uber Eats/etc, so I won't be getting any benefit from these. Whether or not I keep the card will depend on whether or not I feel I'm getting more than the $250 cost (minus the $300 credit) in points (via travel rewards). As long as I am, I'll keep the card.
aTm2004
AG
Following your math, if you get zero benefit from the new perks, you will need to spend at least $1,389/mo on the card to just break even.

$550 - $300 = $250

250 * 100 = 25000 points

25000 / 1.5 (travel point value) = 16,666.66

16,666.66 / 12 = $1,388.88/mo

The monthly bills that I have automatically charge the card take up about half of that (more during the summer when the AC is cranking), There's still benefit to having it.
DonaldFDraper
AG
Correct if you are assuming on 1x points per dollar spent. Your calc is basically the "worst case" scenario.

You'll hit the break even faster with 3x on travel and dinning dollars.
IrishTxAggie
AG
aTm2004 said:

IrishTxAggie said:

Vernada said:

I dunno. I just don't trust someone having private access to my food. I rarely use Uber/Lyft and have never used Doordash/Uber Eats/etc, so I won't be getting any benefit from these. Whether or not I keep the card will depend on whether or not I feel I'm getting more than the $250 cost (minus the $300 credit) in points (via travel rewards). As long as I am, I'll keep the card.
So, you never have pizza or Chinese food delivery?
aTm2004
AG
Exactly. That's if I didn't use it for that travel or dining, which we spend a lot on dining each month given we have 3 kids and even lunch at Chick Fil A is $30+.
aTm2004
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

aTm2004 said:

IrishTxAggie said:

Vernada said:

So, you never have pizza or Chinese food delivery?
My wife occasionally has pizza delivered, but I would prefer to pick it up. I have 3 pizza places within a 5 minute drive from my house, so it's not exactly a lot to go grab one, and more often than not, I'll be in the area anyway.
ORAggieFan
You can activate the benefits for both Lyft and DoorDash now. These are going to be some awesome benefits.
Vade281
AG
Does this include buying the tickets?
PSN/XBOX/Origin/Epic/Steam/Uplay: Vade281
www.twitch.tv/vade281_
aTm2004
AG
If you're specifically asking about plane tickets, then no. My cousin and his wife are a Disney freaks (goes 3-4 times a year and them and their heard are going with us), and she's been planning everything with my wife (also does some type of travel agent stuff with Disney on the side for perks since they go so much). All I was told was to buy plane tickets (which we did) and then my wife told me how much we owed for Disney.

I had been toying with the idea of getting a good CC for a while and did a lot of research on which would work best for us as (as well as points values, intro offers, value of intro offers, etc), and once it got time to have to pay, I pulled the trigger and went with the CSR. I would have liked to put the plane tickets on the card as well, but my WN had some crazy sale that we couldn't pass up, so we bought those before I got the energy to get the card.
permabull
AG
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Are they going to bring back the 100K signup bonus?
Oh Four Five
AG
Anybody else seriously considering dropping this card? The only benefit I use at this point is DoorDash. Obviously cost of the annual fee far outweighs that benefit. With no end in sight with Covid, I'm having a hard time justifying re-upping for another year. Anybody else thinking the same? Suggestions for other cards to consider?
lawless89
DL04 said:

Anybody else seriously considering dropping this card? The only benefit I use at this point is DoorDash. Obviously cost of the annual fee far outweighs that benefit. With no end in sight with Covid, I'm having a hard time justifying re-upping for another year. Anybody else thinking the same? Suggestions for other cards to consider?

Valid point. It made since when I was traveling for work with the concierge rooms and travel credit, but if I'm not traveling the rest of the year (likely right now), then I might need to drop it to avoid that fee. I've got hundreds of thousands of points with American and Marriott and I can't even go anywhere to use them.
permabull
AG
OasisMan
AG
lawless89 said:

DL04 said:

...but if I'm not traveling the rest of the year (likely right now), then I might need to drop it to avoid that fee...
i wonder if one could use this argument to get chase to drop the annual fee for the year ?
Duncan Idaho
Yeah. I am considering dropping this. Changed jobs to one where I wont be traveling as much when things return to normal. Not traveling for personal travel at all and have zero interest in doing so. The travel credit is worthless at this point.

So now I need to figure out what to do with the 200k points I have.
Duncan Idaho
I just checked my statement and it looks like they applied my travel credit to my last costco gas purchase. So that makes a big difference in my math.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.