Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Chase Sapphire Reserve

57,978 Views | 391 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Herknav
DonaldFDraper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any one jumping on it?

I've been a cash back guy up until this point but I travel a fair amount for work so this card was too good to not take advantage of.

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/08/chase-announces-the-sapphire-reserve-card/
GarlandAg2012
AG
I'm definitely interested. Hoping sign up bonuses will be applicable for CSP holders too.
DonaldFDraper
AG
quote:
I'm definitely interested. Hoping sign up bonuses will be applicable for CSP holders too.
Best I understand (and I am not a "churner")... You have to apply for a separate card; you can't upgrade the CSP or you miss out on the sign up bonus.

I believe Chase has some rules on how many cards you can apply for in 24 months.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Luckily I haven't applied for a Chase card in a few years.

Do you know if there's a free version of the CSP I can downgrade it to so I don't have to pay the annual fee if I get approved for the CSR?
khkman22
AG
quote:

Do you know if there's a free version of the CSP I can downgrade it to so I don't have to pay the annual fee if I get approved for the CSR?
Chase's free cards are the Freedom and Freedom Unlimited, but are not equal to the CSP. You cannot transfer points to various rewards accounts with the Freedom and Unlimited.

The new account limit is 5/24 - only 5 new cards every 24 months.
Waltonloads08
AG
You'd probably have to just close the old CSP.

I'm curious as well, as I am considering the CSR.
wessimo
AG
This looks like a no brainer. Normally I'd balk at $450 annual fee but the $300 travel credit brings it down to $150 or less, not counting the other benefits.
GarlandAg2012
AG
That would be annoying as its one of my older lines of credit and I am fairly young so credit history is really the only thing holding my credit back from being "perfect". Maybe I can talk to Chase about it after I get approved for the CSR.
DonaldFDraper
AG
quote:
quote:

Chase's free cards are the Freedom and Freedom Unlimited, but are not equal to the CSP. You cannot transfer points to various rewards accounts with the Freedom and Unlimited.

I do think you can downgrade your CSP to a Freedom or Freedom Unlimited then combine points with the CSR.

Unsure what happens to your existing points. I suppose you could apply for the CSR while still having your CSP, combine points, then downgrade. Just a thought.

I'm pretty green on the points set up but have had a Chase Freedom for 6 years...
SlackerAg
AG

khkman22
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I do think you can downgrade your CSP to a Freedom or Freedom Unlimited then combine points with the CSR.

Unsure what happens to your existing points. I suppose you could apply for the CSR while still having your CSP, combine points, then downgrade. Just a thought.

I'm pretty green on the points set up but have had a Chase Freedom for 6 years...
I can transfer my points between my Freedom and CSP (also able to transfer from the shared Ink Bold company card to my CSP). If I wanted to drop the CSP, I'm assuming I would have to transfer all my points before doing so to keep the points, but am unsure. Of course, I wouldn't risk it and would do it anyway.
GarlandAg2012
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

From reading the megathread on /r/churning, I think this is the way to go. Get the CSR, put all points together, then call and downgrade to a Freedom to get the points in other categories as well.
khkman22
AG
quote:
From reading the megathread on /r/churning, I think this is the way to go. Get the CSR, put all points together, then call and downgrade to a Freedom to get the points in other categories as well.
If only using the Freedom after combining, it nullifies one of the biggest advantages of the fee cards - that you can transfer points to airline and hotel partners.

This advantage is two fold: (1) not having points expire for seldom used partners (I kept my United and Hyatt points from expiring this year by just transferring 1,000 points to them) and (2) getting better value on redeeming reward points with partners. There are some Hyatt hotels that were $120-150/night, but I could get them for 5,000-8,000 points (equivalent of $50-80). The fee cards become a much better value when taking that into consideration (not to mention some nice flights at a significant discount by using miles instead of purchasing outright).
GarlandAg2012
AG
I definitely agree, sorry my post was unclear. What I meant is downgrade the CSP to a Freedom to get rotating categories, then use CSR for Ult Rewards, travel & dining, and point transfers. That way you're only paying for one fee card and still have a little diversity in your wallet.
Wife is an Aggie
Anyone know if the annual fee is waived first year? I doubt it but that would be amazing.

I had the CSP and got the bonus points, added wife as authorized user and got those extra points. Then a year and a half later I referred my wife and she signed up and got the 50K bonus + 5k for adding me as an authorized user + I got the 10K bonus for referring her.

It has been 24 months since I got the bonus though so was planning to cancel mine and do the CSP again to get the 50K bonus + 5K to add wife as user + 10K to wife for referral and then just transfer all of the points from her and mine into one account together.. Can I still do that and do the CSR and get the 100K bonus for that card?

I was also planning to get the Southwest cards around December time frame to go for companion in early 2017.. That would be CSP + CSR + 2 Southwest cards and I would still be under the 5/24 rule, correct?
RangerRick9211
AG
It's not waived.

I wonder if the travel credit can work like Amex's. With Amex, if you purchase Amazon GCs through the United portal or app it codes as travel and an easy way to redeem the credit.

Also, the application is live, just not public: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/renderApp.do?CELL=61GK&SPID=FL3P&PROMO=DF01

Also, you get the Global Entry credit with this one.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Only flaw in that plan is that I don't know if there are any referral or authorized user bonuses yet for the CSR, might have to wait a while first.

And the SW plan is a good, one but is there always a 50k mile offer out there? I haven't seen one in a while and you need it in November or December to make it work.
Wife is an Aggie
Good point on the SW bonus offerings. They do seem to pull the 50K offering from time to time and wait a while to bring it back.

And I will get a referral for a new CSP from my wifes current CSP. I need to cancel my current CSP first but it has been 24 months since I received the bonus so I am eligible for it again.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:

Yes, I downgraded from CSP to Sapphire last year.
Aggie1391
According the a quick calculation, your statement has to be more than 46% travel or food related, AND you have to redeem your points through Chase Ultimate Rewards for the CSR to come out ahead. However, this is without taking into account the sign up bonus,lounge access, and global entry credit. With those, seems like a no brainer
DonaldFDraper
AG
quote:
According the a quick calculation, your statement has to be more than 46% travel or food related, AND you have to redeem your points through Chase Ultimate Rewards for the CSR to come out ahead. However, this is without taking into account the sign up bonus,lounge access, and global entry credit. With those, seems like a no brainer

Come out ahead compared to...?

Are you including the $300 annual travel credit in your calculation? If you travel hardly at all, that makes the yearly fee more like $150 per year.

Not being critical; interested in your calculation method. For me, I travel for work a decent amount so it is nice to have the rewards plus the perks (lounge access, travel insurance, etc)
Aggie1391
quote:
quote:

Come out ahead compared to...?

Are you including the $300 annual travel credit in your calculation? If you travel hardly at all, that makes the yearly fee more like $150 per year.

Not being critical; interested in your calculation method. For me, I travel for work a decent amount so it is nice to have the rewards plus the perks (lounge access, travel insurance, etc)
Sorry, I should have clarified. I was comparing to the CSP card. Also, I included the $300 annual travel credit, so I was comparing a $95 fee vs $150 fee. My percentage was based on points earned per fee dollar.

If you're only looking at points, spending 50% on food and travel and 50% things that only earn 1point/$ earns you 33% more points and 60% more if you redeem those points through Chase.

The real important number here is what percentage of your statement every month is food/travel vs other. The higher that percentage, the better the Reserve is vs. the Preferred
62strat
AG
quote:
Good point on the SW bonus offerings. They do seem to pull the 50K offering from time to time and wait a while to bring it back.

And I will get a referral for a new CSP from my wifes current CSP. I need to cancel my current CSP first but it has been 24 months since I received the bonus so I am eligible for it again.

There is a 50k offer for premier every time I look
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/southwest/50KPremierNonAEParg?CELL=629L

Their cheaper card is the one that goes back and forth, I just used a referral from someone on here and got cheap card with 50k bonus offer.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
quote:
If only using the Freedom after combining, it nullifies one of the biggest advantages of the fee cards - that you can transfer points to airline and hotel partners.

This advantage is two fold: (1) not having points expire for seldom used partners (I kept my United and Hyatt points from expiring this year by just transferring 1,000 points to them) and (2) getting better value on redeeming reward points with partners. There are some Hyatt hotels that were $120-150/night, but I could get them for 5,000-8,000 points (equivalent of $50-80). The fee cards become a much better value when taking that into consideration (not to mention some nice flights at a significant discount by using miles instead of purchasing outright).

FYI: I kept my 100k united points current by buying a .99 MP3 from the United store.
Harry Stone
AG
Is the ink card the business version or is there gonna be a new similar business offering? I have an ink but would live the extra 100k in points.
Hanrahan
AG
this looks great, but i went through the lounge pass directory and the included lounge access seems pretty useless unless you primarily do international travel. Doesn't look to be of much use at all domestically.
Wife is an Aggie
Honestly for me it is strictly about the 100K bonus points, anything else is just gravy. After that I will cancel the card before the next annual fee comes around.
ScottBowen
AG
This would be an excellent fit for me, but I already have a Sapphire Preferred, and it seems pointless to have both. Is there a way I can cancel the Preferred and start using this one without a hit to my credit?
GarlandAg2012
AG
Yes. Downgrade it to either a chase sapphire (free version) or chase freedom (free cash back card with rotating categories) after getting approved for the CSR.
khkman22
AG
Is there a plain Sapphire card that is no fee? It's the second mention I have seen on here, but when looking at all available Chase cards, it is not an option. If there is one, I'm curious what its perks are. The Freedom's 5% rotating categories plus the Freedom Unlimited's 1.5% points on every purchase are a good combination of free cards.
GarlandAg2012
AG
I've read online that it exists, but not sure that it still exists or what the perks are. I doubt it would make sense to have it over one of the other free cards if you also have a CSR...two sapphire cards are very likely to have overlapping benefits.
khkman22
AG
Based on TPG's info, it says the travel credit is based on calendar year and not anniversary year. If the annual fee is based on anniversary date (which I would assume is the case), then you could get $600 worth of travel credit and only pay $450 for the annual fee for the first year if you signed up now. Travel credit is based on statement month, so you would have to make sure this year's travel hit by the December statement. If you took a late holiday trip and December charges posted to the January statement, those would be ineligible for this year's travel credit and would apply to next year's.

Assuming the above is all true, I may sign up for the card since it would technically be free. I would like to refer my wife for my CSP and get the additional points for the referral and the signup bonuses as well though. I think I would have to figure out how I could meet the spending thresholds on both and then figure out where I stand on the 5/24 rule so I won't be ineligible on future cards.
Ag13
AG
Why not get your wife to just sign up for a reserve too? 2 100,000 sign up bonuses >>>> referral bonus you get for CSP.
khkman22
AG
Not sure I could meet the spending threshold. If they still have the 100k bonus at a later date, it might be worth it. But with the CSP, there is no fee the first year. So by referring her, plus her signup bonus and then adding me as an authorized user, that is 65k points for nothing. Whereas for the 100k points, it would cost $150. So really it would cost $150 for the additional 35k points. I guess that might be worth it, but I'll just have to see how it all works out when the time comes.
hot dog
AG
Any churners in BCS willing to share some local MS tips?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.