My least favorite thing about high school soccer…

30,797 Views | 414 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Jim01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We play them Saturday. Got moved from Friday because of ref shortage. Unfortunately we are missing it because we'll be a the Lonestar Showcase in Austin.
bigjag19
AG
Definite shortage. I took the season off after a lot of football and a ton of work travel that still is non stop.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
dallasag00 said:

Been a horrible weather soccer season thus far. Hoping things normalize sooner than later. Grew up north Texas but parenting in the Houston area.

Without question, DFW soccer > Houston soccer - at least on the girls side. Makes no sense but 100% true.
Womens soccer started in Dallas!
Rudyjax
AG
JV parents are flipping their **** as they cancelled the JV2 game, moved the Varsity to 5:30, and JV1 to immediately following the Varsity.

Weather.

Freshman parents who don't understand no one gives a **** about JV.
agsalaska
AG
As the parent of a JV player---how dare you say that!!!!

They just did the same thing to us. The also moved us from the traditional grass field to the stadium. Big rivalry game tonight that I do not think gets played. Going to be a reschedule. Hopefully since its the same school district(we only have two high schools) the JVs also reschedule. We will see.
Mathguy64
AG
Only one game matters. Everyone is doing this tonight. At least the smart ones are.
Rudyjax
AG
agsalaska said:

As the parent of a JV player---how dare you say that!!!!

They just did the same thing to us. The also moved us from the traditional grass field to the stadium. Big rivalry game tonight that I do not think gets played. Going to be a reschedule. Hopefully since its the same school district(we only have two high schools) the JVs also reschedule. We will see.
Oh...I'm a JV parent.

Jim01
AG
What's the low down on PrepSoccer.com? My daughter got tagged in a "players to watch" post by one of their writers, but of course the link is behind a paywall. For all I know he just saw that she tagged the showcase and threw her name in his post hoping I'd pay to see the article

Our HS game reschedule for tomorrow got pushed again to Monday, which means my daughter doesn't have to miss. I swear she was born under a golden sun or something, it ALWAYS works out like that for her.
agsalaska
AG
I meant to add the laughing emoji. I 100% get it.
Jim01
AG
High school age and board related. This just popped up on my Twitter feed. An Aggie daughter popping OFF for the US youth team!

Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Jim01 said:

High school age and board related. This just popped up on my Twitter feed. An Aggie daughter popping OFF for the US youth team!

She graduated early and has been on a soccer tour in Europe.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Jim01
AG
Oh wow. Didn't realize that. I remember she changed her class but didn't realize she had already graduated.
Rudyjax
AG
Is there an option for her to go pro now in the US or Europe?

And her going to the YNT helped Marcus win state.
SCHTICK00
AG
How'd the showcase match go? We got ours in before the lightening delays
Jim01
AG
Our striker was out of town and we had a few guest players and just had zero offense. We lost both games 0-2 but both were very competitive and my daughter played really well. The second game in particular the coach told her afterwards that that was one of the best games he's ever seen her play. She's an 08 so I don't think there were many coaches actually watching our matches but she definitely was peaking at the right time so it's good experience for the future. Thanks for asking.
King Koda
AG
Jim01 said:

I think I may know that girl. Big match tomorrow versus Canada (noon on FS2). Then semis on Friday and, hopefully, finals on Sunday. Finding my way around Mexico City and to Toluca has been interesting, but it's fun watching these girls get after it. Lots of talent on the team.
dallasag00
AG
So cool to know her dad is an Aggie! While I've never seen her play in person the chatter amongst the older Albion Hurricane parents is she is the most incredible player anyone in Houston has ever seen. Congrats to you and her! Can't wait to cheer for her - she's going places!

And your younger daughter too - bright futures all around. Please tell me your secret for developing elite talent!
dallasag00
AG
Congrats King Koda! What a dominant performance. Proud dad moment.
King Koda
AG
Thanks - we just returned from Mexico. The last match had a great atmosphere as the small contingent of parents were surrounded by Mexican fans. Good thing the girls took care of business. Thanks for supporting them. It's a talented group and we will see how they do in the U17 World Cup come October/November.
Rudyjax
AG
King Koda said:

Thanks - we just returned from Mexico. The last match had a great atmosphere as the small contingent of parents were surrounded by Mexican fans. Good thing the girls took care of business. Thanks for supporting them. It's a talented group and we will see how they do in the U17 World Cup come October/November.
The entire town of Flower Mound is greatful for your daughters call up last spring.
jessexy
AG
I saw the goal by #17. Looks like she shushed the crowd too. That was hilarious.
dallasag00
AG
The brutal weather this winter season continues at the Dallas showcase. Today was a beating out there. Tomorrow looks even colder but fingers crossed the winds will die down. Luckily our 8:00 am game is now at 9:00 so I'll take this moment to rejoice just a bit!
SCHTICK00
AG
Albion 08?
dallasag00
AG
Impressive investigative skills!
SCHTICK00
AG
I guess. Saturday was brutal, especially with a 5:10 start. Today wasn't worth our time as most the recruiters had cleared out. I'm thankful for the few who hung in, but I find myself only hoping to not get an injury at that point. All in all it was a well attended event and a great venue to host.
Rudyjax
AG

6A
18 of 33 In Region 1.
3 of top 10 in same district.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
It's basically all region 1 and 3.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
dallasag00 said:

Impressive investigative skills!
I've been told that the 08 ECNL team had a rough weekend.
dallasag00
AG
Definitely not their best weekend. Played some high quality opponents though and other than that first game whipping they held their own.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Thankfully everyone got out uninjured. The 09s weren't as lucky.
Rudyjax
AG
This is nuts.

This is district 5 next year.

Rudyjax
AG
5 of the top 11 will be in District 5.
agracer
AG
jessexy said:

Knucklesammich said:

Jim01 said:

Just played a tournament in College Station this past weekend. Not a ball person in sight! And took them a few games to realize, "Maybe we should put a couple balls behind the goal at the beginning of each half." Eventually little brothers made their way down to the track and were shagging balls.

As for the cold, one of my Christmas gifts was a heated vest. Used it for the first time this weekend!

Ref wise we had one guy that called a lot but was also very nice. In the first half the other team complained on an obstruction call, then he yelled "I'll explain at halftime" and sure enough came over and explained the rule and why he called it. It was also nice to have a ref that would admit he could make mistakes. In explaining obstruction he said "a lot of time you all have a better angle than me, so maybe I'm wrong, but all I have to go on is my angle". There was also a weird sequence where we scored, he blew it off because there was confusion on indirect vs direct, our captain complained, got a yellow card and goal kick awarded. He stopped the clock and talked to other ref and then announced "My mistake. My fault. No card, Goal awarded."

I am always baffled that a sport where there are literally 10-12 balls in a bag but a ball kicked into the hinterlands behind the goals requires a 5 minute Tolkien like journey when they could just keep a couple of the 48 balls they have on the bench behind each goal.

Imagine having only one football or baseball for a game.
Yea, it's all dictated by the rules. Says home team provided 3 game balls. Period. no caveats or exceptions.

Rules also say home team is supposed to provide ball chasers.

Someone earlier mentioned about matching uniforms and the rules dictate that too. it even dictates undergarments. It's pretty hardcore if the rules are enforced literally. Most refs don't though. The game needs balls, so the balls are inspected and 3 are chosen. But the game doesn't need ball chasers, so if they aren't supplied, it tends to be ignored and the game waits for the frozen GK to chase the ball.
The rules test last season was 25 questions of 50 on a multiple choice test they give you beforehand. Half the questions are stupid crap like uniforms, socks, numbers and even what color the pads on a goal can be. But absolutely zero training required.

Every country, league, etc in the entire world plays FIFA laws with modifications (like field size, number of players for small sided games, number of substitutions, etc.). But HS has their own rule book and they are very anal about uniforms.

And HS refs can be some of the most sensitive people in the world. I've seen a HS player get a second yellow for picking up a ball for a free kick and spin it backwards to set it up on the grass. This was after a stoppage for a yellow going to a player on the other team so not like he was "delaying the restart".
jessexy
AG
Well, I didn't say that the rules aren't stupid. I was just saying the rules tell everyone why you can't have 12 balls all over the field. HS rules allow for 3 balls and ball chasers. That's it.
King Koda
AG
Stay tuned.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.