My least favorite thing about high school soccer…

26,320 Views | 414 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ghost of Andrew Eaton
bigjag19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jessexy said:

Well, I didn't say that the rules aren't stupid. I was just saying the rules tell everyone why you can't have 12 balls all over the field. HS rules allow for 3 balls and ball chasers. That's it.

Did that change? Forever the rule was at least 3…

Have done many a game with 5 to even 9.
Mathguy64
AG
bigjag19 said:

jessexy said:

Well, I didn't say that the rules aren't stupid. I was just saying the rules tell everyone why you can't have 12 balls all over the field. HS rules allow for 3 balls and ball chasers. That's it.

At least 3, all with the fancy NFHS logo. The next time I look for that will be the first.

And at least two ball shaggers.
Rudyjax
AG
Mathguy64 said:

bigjag19 said:

jessexy said:

At least 3, all with the fancy NFHS logo. The next time I look for that will be the first.

Operating the scoreboard in a 6A varsity last night that as 8nil, we counted at least 3 times where 2 minutes burned off having the CB run to the back of the stadium to get the ball for a corner.

They ain't got no chasers.
Mathguy64
AG
In an 8-0 game I promise no coach, player or referee cared. Hopefully they were running the clock after the 5th or 6th goal.
Rudyjax
AG
Mathguy64 said:

In an 8-0 game I promise no coach, player or referee cared. Hopefully they were running the clock after the 5th or 6th goal.

I agree but several were early.

jeffk
AG
If you were running clock, wasn't your team the home team?
Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

Yes. But it's not my place to tell my daughters coach to get youth ball girls or make JV do it.
jeffk
AG
Rudyjax said:

jeffk said:

Yes. But it's not my place to tell my daughters coach to get youth ball girls or make JV do it.

Hehehe. I wish you would have been around back in the day to tell the parents of my players this maxim.

Also, our district dropped the hammer on letting parents run the scoreboard at matches. Made it so it had to be a district employee. Supposedly that made it less likely for the home team to get favorable treatment with timekeeping. (It didn't.)
Mathguy64
AG
jeffk said:

Rudyjax said:

jeffk said:

Hehehe. I wish you would have been around back in the day to tell the parents of my players this maxim.

Also, our district dropped the hammer on letting parents run the scoreboard at matches. Made it so it had to be a district employee. Supposedly that made it less likely for the home team to get favorable treatment with timekeeping. (It didn't.)
Parents could cheat.

District "timekeepers" are usually so bad at the job they couldnt cheat if they tried.
jeffk
AG
The amount of times I had to remind officials and opposing coaches of Hanlon's Razor when they'd complain about "unfair" clock operation was quite high.
Jim01
AG
We've had a particularly bad ref twice in the last couple weeks

The first time we had him there was a through ball from the other team, our keeper comes out to get it as their striker is charging. It's a bang bang play but our keeper clearly deflects the ball, they collide into a heap, the ball rolls into the box and we clear it. WHISTLE and he calls a PK. Just a horrible call. Our keep ends up with a sprained MCL and bruised bone and carted off the field.

Then last night the same ref makes a pretty bad no call against one of our girls getting taken down early in the game. A couple of our girls complain. Granted they should have maybe kept their mouth shut, but it was nothing beyond passionate play, nothing disrespectful. Man he took it personally. The rest of the game those two players could have got mugged at midfield and he wouldn't have called anything. I understand it's hard to take feelings out of things, but these are high school girls buddy, get over yourself and just call the game evenly. It was really kind of comical how much he turned a blind eye to some calls when those two were the ones involved.
Rudyjax
AG
Mathguy64 said:

jeffk said:

Rudyjax said:

jeffk said:

Parents could cheat.

District "timekeepers" are usually so bad at the job they couldnt cheat if they tried.
I kinda didn't stop the clock right after a goal and started it when the kicker lined up. I don't think anyone cared.

Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Jim01 said:

We've had a particularly bad ref twice in the last couple weeks

The first time we had him there was a through ball from the other team, our keeper comes out to get it as their striker is charging. It's a bang bang play but our keeper clearly deflects the ball, they collide into a heap, the ball rolls into the box and we clear it. WHISTLE and he calls a PK. Just a horrible call. Our keep ends up with a sprained MCL and bruised bone and carted off the field.

Then last night the same ref makes a pretty bad no call against one of our girls getting taken down early in the game. A couple of our girls complain. Granted they should have maybe kept their mouth shut, but it was nothing beyond passionate play, nothing disrespectful. Man he took it personally. The rest of the game those two players could have got mugged at midfield and he wouldn't have called anything. I understand it's hard to take feelings out of things, but these are high school girls buddy, get over yourself and just call the game evenly. It was really kind of comical how much he turned a blind eye to some calls when those two were the ones involved.
I think most refs do a good job or at least try their best. But lately, I think some refs have bought into the whole "poor referees" narrative and any discussion leads to a serious overreaction on their part. I rarely get upset with refs unless I think something is dangerous but I will occasionally question calls but I never raise my voice(I asked my wife and coaches to verify this). It's amazing how quickly their moods change and some become downright confrontational.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Run the clock, please. Playing keep away is the worst.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Jim01
AG
Agreed. The game was a very calm one leading up to that PK. On the PK call our captain ran over and asked what the call was. He shook his head at her and point her away. My daughter was right there and said the captain kept calm and asked repeatedly for him to explain the call and he just point her away and kept saying "enough", as if he was annoyed with her asking. It's the captain! It's literally the one player on the field who should be able to communicate with you.

Then to add insult to injury, as our coach and trainer were helping our goalie limp off the field, he blew the whistle for the PK to ensue as they were still a good 15 yards from the sideline. Our coach remained calm up until that point when she yelled at him "You can at least let us get off the field!!!!"

Also one random side note... As I got to the stadium last night I went to the bathroom and this ref was alone in the restroom washing his foot in the sink. I went to the urinal and took my time to let him finish. When I was done he still had his right foot propped up on the sink, drying it with paper towels, and putting his sock back on. It was an odd sight.
SCHTICK00
AG
King Koda said:

Stay tuned.

Congratulations to Kennedy! Her career has been fun to watch
King Koda
AG
SCHTICK00 said:

King Koda said:

Stay tuned.

Congratulations to Kennedy! Her career has been fun to watch

She'll be in Houston vs the Dash on June 15th. I expect to see a lot #17 ACFC jerseys there
SCHTICK00
AG
Would be a good way to enjoy June 15th for the 2026s. Congrats again and we'll be following.
dallasag00
AG
Just saw the news today. Congratulations indeed! As a Houstonian we'll definitely come out and support.
Ags-R-Better
Congratulations to Kennedy! What an amazing accomplishment.

Question we have: is she considered an undrafted free agent signing or how does that work for high school age kids signing straight to the pros since she wasn't in the draft? Are only college kids eligible for the draft? Probably something I could google…
Rudyjax
AG
For those that don't want to read between the lines…

https://www.dailynews.com/2024/03/06/angel-city-fc-signs-16-year-old-kennedy-fuller-to-3-year-deal/amp/

And congrats! This is a great opportunity for her and absolutely the right choice to go pro now. College can wait. Online courses, etc.

One of my friend's kid signed with FC Dallas at 17. Played with national teams like Kennedy did.
dallasag00
AG
Related…this US/Canada game going on right now is a joke. Never seen field conditions this bad.
bigjag19
AG
I have.

Granted I was 14 and on a club field. But still
King Koda
AG
ECNL Playoffs in Tampa 2021 were worse but those fields drained really really well. Still remember watching Solar 08s vs SoCal Blues in Quarterfinals with 2-3 inches of rain over entire field. They even ended a few days early thanks to an incoming hurricane.
King Koda
AG
Last year they added a mechanism for entering NWSL prior to turning 18. U18 girls can basically choose where they want to play and do not have to enter the draft. Once a girl turns 18, they must enter the draft. This is why players like Claire Hutton and Giselle Thompson signed with a team less than a week prior to turning 18.

Before last year, a girl had to sue the league (Moultrie, Shaw) in order to join the NWSL before turning 18.
jessexy
AG
jeffk said:

The amount of times I had to remind officials and opposing coaches of Hanlon's Razor when they'd complain about "unfair" clock operation was quite high.
I knew a clock operator who was a magician. He could change an 8 into a 3 and a 9 into a 2 like it was nothing. We once played a 40-minute half in only 18 minutes on the watch. And nobody complained because it was 12-0 and the losing team had 12 players on the team. It was after report cards came out and the whole team had flunked. 3 varsity players were left with 2 JV and 7 of them were from the wrestling team since the coach did double-duty.
jessexy
AG
Rudyjax said:

Mathguy64 said:

bigjag19 said:

jessexy said:

Operating the scoreboard in a 6A varsity last night that as 8nil, we counted at least 3 times where 2 minutes burned off having the CB run to the back of the stadium to get the ball for a corner.

The rules tell the teams to have 3 balls with ball chasers. HS referee chapters tell their referees that balls are necessary for the game to be played and chasers are not. If coaches complain about wasted time cuz of players chasing balls then they should get ball chasers, not get more balls around the field. It is what it is. Refs don't make the rules.
jessexy
AG
dallasag00 said:

Related…this US/Canada game going on right now is a joke. Never seen field conditions this bad.
Ha, you must not have seen RSL v LAFC last Saturday....
Rudyjax
AG
jessexy said:

Rudyjax said:

Mathguy64 said:

bigjag19 said:

jessexy said:

The rules tell the teams to have 3 balls with ball chasers. HS referee chapters tell their referees that balls are necessary for the game to be played and chasers are not. If coaches complain about wasted time cuz of players chasing balls then they should get ball chasers, not get more balls around the field. It is what it is. Refs don't make the rules.
Who is blaming the refs on that post?
Rudyjax
AG
jessexy said:

dallasag00 said:

Ha, you must not have seen RSL v LAFC last Saturday....
The waters was actually worse. The ball would roll on the snow. Last night they were basically playing beach soccer.
dallasag00
AG
Exactly my point. Canada's goal was actually legit. USA not so much. The standing water on the field was wild. Ball movement was even wilder.
King Koda
AG
Well - not the ending she wanted on her first match, but she was in the starting lineup, played 89 minutes in her professional debut and had the highest FotMob rating on her team.

Rudyjax
AG
Just 89'??

Just kidding. That's awesome!

Did someone in the family move out to LA with her?

Rudyjax
AG
Here's some fun.

6A girls district 6.

Flower Mound has clinched the title.
Plano West need to beat Flower Mound to get into the playoffs.
Rival High school in Flower Mound, Marcus, needs to win and Plano West to lose.

Marcus people think Flower Mound is going to lose so Marcus is out.
Flower Mound, instead of playing 13, are going to play the full 21 players. Especially the seniors.

Flower Mound is not going to lose on purpose, and the bench on Flower Mound should beat West. Except West wants it more. Needs it more.

It'll be interesting.
agsalaska
AG
My daughters JV team make their younger brothers chase balls. My son is an expert at it now. They even do it on the road.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.