My least favorite thing about high school soccer…

25,262 Views | 414 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Jim01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No. The two yellows were seconds apart. The first was handed and then our player made it maybe 15 yards before the second came out.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
In our game last night, the AR was the guy who gave me my yellow in our previous discussion. No harm, we laughed about it.

"I gave you the yellow to quiet down the field. Notice the other coach stopped yelling."

I **** you not but I don't care. We're on to the regional tournament.

If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
jessexy
AG
bigjag19 said:

I did see a young guy from New Zealand had a few important Dallas Cup games.
He's originally from DFW. Born and raised but he's NZ-descent. He lives in NZ now and has a FIFA badge, but he'll readily admit he's filling a spot on the NZ FIFA list. He's no more than a Regional level referee if he's in the USSF referee program. He's been my AR many times when he was in HS in NTX.
jessexy
AG
Rudyjax said:

Mathguy64 said:

Rudyjax said:

Mathguy64 said:

I knew what you were getting at. It's the rule in HS. It's not a question of like or dislike.

It does make it easier to follow. Every yellow goes out. Having refs justify or distinguish SPA from UB and getting coaches who don't know the difference to understand is probably asking a LOT.

Then add in playing advantage on SPA wipes out coming back to issue a card where as you can come back to UB later.

Just keep it simple. You get a yellow, you start walking.
I get all that...

So you like it because it makes it easier for you. Got it. Wrong emoji.

I deal with 40 different referees (of various abilities) and countess coaches (many of whom know less than nothing about the details of the NFHS rule book). Easy is sometimes good. This HS rule keeps things consistent. Its hard enough getting every referee to follow what they are supposed to follow. Hell every couple of years some bozo gives a soft red card because they vaguely remember that from the past. Its taken 3 years to get them all to do dropped balls instead of IFKs on injuries. Then factor in the IFAB versus NFHS differences and getting refs to keep that straight. If they had to make some go and let some stay it would be a nightmare of inconsistencies all over the place. Is that really what you want?

Got it. That was more than I asked for but it makes perfect sense.

Thank you.

The NFHS rules are written for HS students. As @Mathguy mentioned, the whole "extension of the classroom" phrase is something referees here a lot in trainings and even up to the Regional and State tournament levels. (I've officiated at both). So, in the school setting, if there's a fight then both kids get suspended. It doesn't matter who started or who got it worse, they both get suspended. That's the rule and that's how it's enforced because it's a learning process. HS Soccer says any kid with a yellow gets subbed off and it's enforced equally. It's not really up to the referee to agree or disagree with the enforcement of the process.
Rudyjax
AG
jessexy said:

Rudyjax said:

Mathguy64 said:

Rudyjax said:

Mathguy64 said:

I knew what you were getting at. It's the rule in HS. It's not a question of like or dislike.

It does make it easier to follow. Every yellow goes out. Having refs justify or distinguish SPA from UB and getting coaches who don't know the difference to understand is probably asking a LOT.

Then add in playing advantage on SPA wipes out coming back to issue a card where as you can come back to UB later.

Just keep it simple. You get a yellow, you start walking.
I get all that...

So you like it because it makes it easier for you. Got it. Wrong emoji.

I deal with 40 different referees (of various abilities) and countess coaches (many of whom know less than nothing about the details of the NFHS rule book). Easy is sometimes good. This HS rule keeps things consistent. Its hard enough getting every referee to follow what they are supposed to follow. Hell every couple of years some bozo gives a soft red card because they vaguely remember that from the past. Its taken 3 years to get them all to do dropped balls instead of IFKs on injuries. Then factor in the IFAB versus NFHS differences and getting refs to keep that straight. If they had to make some go and let some stay it would be a nightmare of inconsistencies all over the place. Is that really what you want?

Got it. That was more than I asked for but it makes perfect sense.

Thank you.

The NFHS rules are written for HS students. As @Mathguy mentioned, the whole "extension of the classroom" phrase is something referees here a lot in trainings and even up to the Regional and State tournament levels. (I've officiated at both). So, in the school setting, if there's a fight then both kids get suspended. It doesn't matter who started or who got it worse, they both get suspended. That's the rule and that's how it's enforced because it's a learning process. HS Soccer says any kid with a yellow gets subbed off and it's enforced equally. It's not really up to the referee to agree or disagree with the enforcement of the process.
You don't agree or disagree with rules?

Of course you have to enforce them.

I just think it's harsh for a tactical foul to be punished the same as a kid losing his head.

I understand why the consistency in enforcement and why.

But you can't have a personal opinion?
Rudyjax
AG
Down goes Allen from another Flower Mound school.

Girls were ranked #2 going into playoffs and Boys #1.

Looks like Region 1 Propser #2 in the state and Flower Mound #1 in state meet up against 2 El Paso schools.

Proper and Flower Mound are closer to Tuscaloosa than El Paso.
jessexy
AG
Jim01 said:

That was WILD.

Final score PNG 3 - Friendswood 0

For some reference, I talked to a seniors dad and he said we haven't had a red card in the four years his daughter's been on the team. Also, for the entire year I believe we had three yellow cards. One for our attacking mid being mouthy (which she can be), one for an aggressive tackle, and I want to say one more.

This game? Finished with 2 reds and about 6-7 yellows. In a game that wasn't physical AT ALL. I mean that doesn't just magically happen.

It started with our attacking mid getting a yellow for hard contact behind the play about 5 minutes into the game. She tends to be overly physical, but personally 5 min in I would expect a simple "watch it #2" from the ref. Didn't even seem long enough to work her way up to a yellow.

Then the aforementioned red. After talking to my daughter she said the ref specifically says "I'm not going to tolerate any cussing." Then apparently what happened was that an PNG player was really playing mind games saying things like "You suck! You can't punt! You couldn't top a ball to save your life!" Then our goalie snapped and yelled at her to "STFU!" twice. Again, I don't care if you outright gave the players a zero tolerance ultimatum about cussing. These are competitive and hormonal teenagers. To go straight red for one cuss word is wild. If it was a slur of some kind? Absolutely! If it was directed at the ref? Absolutely! But directed towards another player after being badgered? You completely have changed the entire game with that red!

It was 0-2 at half and then we got the wind and started to make some chances. Continued to get a few yellows for hard fouls. It just seemed there was no in between. It was either a no call or a yellow. There were probably as many yellows as regular fouls all game.

The second red was after a debatable foul call (but by no means a bad call). One of our players said "learn how to do your job" to the ref. Very deserved yellow. But then as she walks off the field the ref follows her and she says it again. Boom! Second yellow into a red. The issue is that the ref did this all game. Call a foul, give a card, and walk away! She constantly followed directly behind players. Yes the player should have controlled herself better but again, these are teenagers. De-escalate. Give the card and walk away! Give the player a chance to cool off!

At that point it was still only 0-2 but the wheels were off. Parents were going nuts. One set of parents got kicked out of the game. The funny thing is their daughter didn't even see the field the entire game. Then another parent (whose kid is on JV!) and who is a sideline photographer started asking the linesman questions while one of our girls was down hurt and play was dead. The ref noticed, came over and ejected him.

Overall just a sad end to the season. PNG was better but with a ref that just let them play it would have been a really fun second half.

On the upside my daughter had a great game and basically shut down the left side. She also kept her cool the entire game and was more so pissed at her teammates for losing control of their emotions. She told me when the second red card went down multiple players were in tears and she got pissed and said "Stop talking, pick up your head and mark someone!" That made me proud to see that leadership come out of her.

Was really hoping for a rematch with A&M Consolidated. It it looks like it was neither of our nights.
Sounds like someone over-officiated the game. Who knows. These playoff games end up with some odd referee assignments because there's coin flips involved in who picks the stadium and/or which chapter the referee's come from. I can validate a couple things for you:

- Taunting in HS soccer is a straight red card. No questions asked. It's written in the NFHS rules that way. Calling someone a ***** is taunting, no matter if provoked into it or not. The referee does not control a player's (read: student's) actions or emotions. So, if the GK said it and it was heard by an official on the field, there is no leeway. However, a quality referee will identify the antagonist early and nip it in the bud early.

- As someone said earlier, the discrepancy between quality officials and adequate officials is wide in HS soccer. Players and coaches have to read it quickly and adjust. On the flip side, there is a large discrepancy between HS players and teams. Referees have to read it quickly and adjust.

- "Learn how to do your job" is dissent. You said it's a deserved yellow. If the player says it twice, it's a deserved yellow twice. 2nd yellow goes to red. The ref following the player is something to be seen, but it shouldn't happen. Yes, de-escalation should be the first step. The only red I gave all season came last Friday in a girls playoff game. Player yelled from 30 yards away "Do your job ref!" Deserved yellow, right? Player then runs past me and claps in my face. 2nd yellow that turns to red. I didn't escalate it and I have no problem and don't feel bad at all about the red.

Remember, the game/field is an extension of the classroom. If a student said "Learn how to do your job" to the teacher in her history class, there would be consequences. If the student said it twice, there's even harsher consequences.

- Parents are spectators and paid the $5 to get into the game. I barely hear the stands during my games; the good ones anyway. Sometimes the spectators want to take their frustrations out on anyone other than themselves or their child. But that's why there's a ref shortage now. I've posted on this before with my daughter's coach telling his parents "Don't yell at the refs. It doesn't help. It never helps"

- Sideline Photog should remain neutral, unbiased, and silent. Period. They're performing a job on the field that's not involved with either team or the game. Take pictures and document history. You are not to interfere with the game. Period. If you want to be a fan, then take pictures from the stands. That's not my opinion, that's written into all sports rules regarding media, especially on-field media. That's why they were those funny vests to show they're credentialed and allowed to be on the sidelines. If he chose to interfere with the official (even asking questions to the AR) then he should have been ejected.

- Sounds like your daughter is a leader and was a positive influence on her teammates. That's someone who is a future captain and would be a good position for her to have direct communication with the referees in her games. Good job Dad!

sorry for the long response but it was a long message.
jessexy
AG
Rudyjax said:

Looks like Region 1 Propser #2 in the state and Flower Mound #1 in state meet up against 2 El Paso schools.

I had the whistle on Allen v Flower Mound boys last night.
Rudyjax
AG
jessexy said:

Rudyjax said:

Sweet...my daughters whatever he is scored the second goal.

bigjag19
AG
I'm not certain we are talking about the same kid.

Dom?
Rudyjax
AG
I found Jessexy!

But should the keeper be wearing red if you are?
bigjag19
AG
No rule against it!
Rudyjax
AG
bigjag19 said:

No rule against it!
Well, you might be right on the NFHS rules. Which i haven't learned yet.

Law 4 in IFAB clearly states

Quote:

Each goalkeeper must wear colours that are distinguishable from the other players and the match officials

Rudyjax
AG
Yep, you're right.

Poor Capelli, they can't put their oversized logo on High school uniforms.
Mathguy64
AG
Rudyjax said:

bigjag19 said:

No rule against it!

Quote:

Each goalkeeper must wear colours that are distinguishable from the other players and the match officials

My shirt is red. The GK is red and black sleeves. Problem solved!

Seriously though. At professional/international events things like colors are worked out ahead of time. Down to what color pinnie is worn by substitutes. And of course they have plenty of colors to choose from.

At everything below that, wear what you can and try and not stand next to the GKer . Getting three people who may or may not have a blue shirt in their bag to not conflict on Sunday and then having to change to green the next game is a PITA.

I did two games this year where the other ref had a yellow shirt. That's it. I sort of suggested he take some of that hard earned game fee and buy another color. Or two.

jessexy
AG
bigjag19 said:

I'm not certain we are talking about the same kid.

Dom?
Nope. Calvin is my guy. He was here last year for DC. My memory just jammed together.
Mathguy64
AG
Quote:

- Taunting in HS soccer is a straight red card. No questions asked. It's written in the NFHS rules that way. Calling someone a ***** is taunting, no matter if provoked into it or not. The referee does not control a player's (read: student's) actions or emotions. So, if the GK said it and it was heard by an official on the field, there is no leeway. However, a quality referee will identify the antagonist early and nip it in the bud early.

This is a real iffy thing for me. I would prefer to manage this and try and get out of the RC if I could. It depends on how loud it was. What I tell my ARs in a pregame is look for a reaction from the player being called a ***** and think about who else heard it.

Kids cuss on the field. A lot. Sometimes to each other and sometimes to themselves. What I tell them when they drop an f bomb is that if their mother can hear it in the stands we have a problem.

Same here for me. It was loud enough for the AR to hear. Were they on the edge of the PA 8-9 yards from the AR or center cut? If it's just the AR I want my AR to manage that if we can. If it's that loud that everyone heard it, the player has tied my hands.

Just my $0.02
jessexy
AG
Rudyjax said:

I found Jessexy!

But should the keeper be wearing red if you are?
Blue team vs. White team (blue out)
One neon yellow/green GK (green and yellow out)
One Red GK (red out)
I don't own a black shirt (black out)

I'm not going skins so I got to pick the cleanest shirt in my bag. I don't own a long-sleeved red so I was in short sleeves and my ARs both were in long.
Rudyjax
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Rudyjax said:

bigjag19 said:

No rule against it!

Quote:

Seriously though. At professional/international events things like colors are worked out ahead of time. Down to what color pinnie is worn by substitutes. And of course they have plenty of colors to choose from.

At everything below that, wear what you can and try and not stand next to the GKer . Getting three people who may or may not have a blue shirt in their bag to not conflict on Sunday and then having to change to green the next game is a PITA.

I did two games this year where the other ref had a yellow shirt. That's it. I sort of suggested he take some of that hard earned game fee and buy another color. Or two.

I take it with the shortage that you just go with what you got.

I didn't see it in the rules, but in the Lake Highlands/Flower Mound Girls game, both keepers were wearing Aquablue. Shouldn't one of them change?
jeffk
AG
The camera guy thing is funny. Most are completely professional. Stay out of the way, say nothing, take their pictures. Then there's like 10-15% of them who think they've got some sort of VIP sideline pass. Talk constantly, get pissy when you ask them to step back to the track or behind the bench area. If I'm the AR and they're near my sideline I always tried to talk to them before the game just to make sure they knew where their boundaries lie. Only had one get snippy and tell me "the district says I can be down here." Sure enough, that dude was right on the sideline in my lane a few minutes into the game. He got yelled at and told to stay on the track or he'd be removed. Later in the second half he decided to yell at the center about a call and got sent to the stands.
Rudyjax
AG

OK...referees...talk about his positioning on this. When this was captured, the ball was hitting the net.

The shooter is directly between the camera and 19.
jessexy
AG
jessexy said:

Rudyjax said:

And I'll have everyone know only 1 card in the entire game. To an asst coach in the 8th minute. Somewhere between 20-25 fouls. The kids decided the outcome and played a game they'll all remember.
Rudyjax
AG
jessexy said:

jessexy said:

Rudyjax said:

And I'll have everyone know only 1 card in the entire game. To an asst coach in the 8th minute. Somewhere between 20-25 fouls. The kids decided the outcome and played a game they'll all remember.
Great job, i mean it.
jessexy
AG
Rudyjax said:

OK...referees...talk about his positioning on this. When this was captured, the ball was hitting the net.

The shooter is directly between the camera and 19.
This came off a corner kick or a long throw-in. I was already in the 18, prolly a little off-center left if a corner. I moved more central because the ball went far post to white #10. He shot it near post to him and it bounced into the mix right where the GK is laying. The ball popped out again and #20 hit it into the goal. I wasn't in the way but could see everything I needed. I don't move very well anymore but I can get to smart positions.

I was BADLY out of position on the 1st goal though. Really badly out of position.
Jim01
AG
Agreed. Especially when you know at least half, if not way more, of the time it's the retaliator you are going to hear first. This is why I always hated people like Bill Laimbeer (showing my age) who would goat people and then the person would retaliate and they would get the call. Hated those type of players.

For reference she was at the very corner of the box RIGHT by the AR. He was as close as you could be in the situation, so no idea how loud it was. None of us in the stands on our side heard it (but she was on the far side from us).

It seems excessive to make it a red right away. It's just too drastic a punishment for a teenager.
bigjag19
AG
Rudyjax said:

Mathguy64 said:

Rudyjax said:

bigjag19 said:

No rule against it!

Quote:

I didn't see it in the rules, but in the Lake Highlands/Flower Mound Girls game, both keepers were wearing Aquablue. Shouldn't one of them change?

Also allowed.

Now when I did a 3rd round playoff game in CS 3 years ago and home keeper comes out in the slightest color variance from her team…
Rudyjax
AG
bigjag19 said:

Rudyjax said:

Mathguy64 said:

Rudyjax said:

bigjag19 said:

No rule against it!

Quote:

Also allowed.

Now when I did a 3rd round playoff game in CS 3 years ago and home keeper comes out in the slightest color variance from her team…

Any concerns at the end of the match when the keeper comes out for a header at the end of regulation?
Rudyjax
AG
Long throw of course. Flower mound had half their goals off corners and long throws.
bigjag19
AG
Rudyjax said:

bigjag19 said:

Rudyjax said:

Mathguy64 said:

Rudyjax said:

bigjag19 said:

No rule against it!

Quote:

Also allowed.

Any concerns at the end of the match when the keeper comes out for a header at the end of regulation?

I think the high school assumption is the teams and ref can tell the difference.
jessexy
AG
Jim01 said:

Agreed. Especially when you know at least half, if not way more, of the time it's the retaliator you are going to hear first. This is why I always hated people like Bill Laimbeer (showing my age) who would goat people and then the person would retaliate and they would get the call. Hated those type of players.

For reference she was at the very corner of the box RIGHT by the AR. He was as close as you could be in the situation, so no idea how loud it was. None of us in the stands on our side heard it (but she was on the far side from us).

It seems excessive to make it a red right away. It's just too drastic a punishment for a teenager.

Again, "extension of the classroom" on the field. If your student got caught cheating on a test, then they'd be failed and not given a chance to retake the test. They get a 0 grade. Maybe they get detention or some other punishment. Maybe they get to work off their punishment some other way. but that's for an administrator to figure out. If there's a co-conspirator that doesn't get caught, they got off lucky.

It's not the teacher's job or duty to bail the cheater out. It's not the ref's job to bail the player out for her action of taunting. Maybe I'm the @$$ ho le teacher in this instance. I'm not saving anyone from their actions or choices. I'm holding them accountable.

Then again, I'm an experienced ref who can tell which player will respond to one more chance and which won't
Mathguy64
AG
Rudyjax said:

bigjag19 said:

Rudyjax said:

Mathguy64 said:

Rudyjax said:

bigjag19 said:

No rule against it!

Quote:

Also allowed.

Tell the coach to make her change or wear a pinnie before the game starts. He/She won't want to. I don't care what they want.
Rudyjax
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Rudyjax said:

bigjag19 said:

Rudyjax said:

Mathguy64 said:

Rudyjax said:

bigjag19 said:

No rule against it!

Quote:

Also allowed.

Tell the coach to make her change or wear a pinnie before the game starts. He/She won't want to. I don't care what they want.

Keepers can wear the same color but if they're going into the box for a corner they have to know ahead of time and put on a Pinnie or am I misunderstanding you?
agsalaska
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Rudyjax said:

bigjag19 said:

Rudyjax said:

Mathguy64 said:

Rudyjax said:

bigjag19 said:

No rule against it!

Quote:

Also allowed.

And if both coaches tell you no and ask you to move on and get the game started?

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Mathguy64
AG
Rudyjax said:

Mathguy64 said:

Rudyjax said:

bigjag19 said:

Rudyjax said:

Mathguy64 said:

Rudyjax said:

bigjag19 said:

No rule against it!

Quote:

Also allowed.

Keepers can wear the same color but if they're going into the box for a corner they have to know ahead of time and put on a Pinnie or am I misunderstanding you?

If it's close to their team they change. If it's close to the opposing team they change. I could care less if each GK wears the same color. They won't be next to each other the whole game unless one is down on the other area the last 10 seconds and I can figure that out. And I don't care if they match me. I'm not ever standing next to them unless it's a dropped ball or I'm checking on an injury. Besides I'm old and fat and everyone else can tell the difference.
Rudyjax
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Rudyjax said:

Mathguy64 said:

Rudyjax said:

bigjag19 said:

Rudyjax said:

Mathguy64 said:

Rudyjax said:

bigjag19 said:

No rule against it!

Quote:

Also allowed.

If it's close to their team they change. If it's close to the opposing team they change. I could care less if each GK wears the same color. They won't be next to each other the whole game unless one is down on the other area the last 10 seconds and I can figure that out. And I don't care if they match me. I'm not ever standing next to them unless it's a dropped ball or I'm checking on an injury. Besides I'm old and fat and everyone else can tell the difference.
Right....my question about that if the keepers are wearing the same color and it doesn't concern you then no worries.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.