My least favorite thing about high school soccer…

26,316 Views | 414 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I got my first yellow the other night for a "menacing look" that was considered dissent. No warning. No yelling on my part. Before my yellow, the ref stopped the clock to warn the other coach. The next three fouls go against my team and I say "Don't let him work you like that." Boom, yellow. I know refs have it rough but I'm so tired of the "poor ref" attitude that is pervasive. There are some ****ty people out there but I've seen numerous incidents of refs going on tilt.

Nobody has ever called me "menacing" in my life.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Rudyjax
AG
Soccer referees would lose their **** if they had to do baseball.
Mathguy64
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

I got my first yellow the other night for a "menacing look" that was considered dissent. No warning. No yelling on my part. Before my yellow, the ref stopped the clock to warn the other coach. The next three fouls go against my team and I say "Don't let him work you like that." Boom, yellow. I know refs have it rough but I'm so tired of the "poor ref" attitude that is pervasive. There are some ****ty people out there but I've seen numerous incidents of refs going on tilt.

You got it for what you said. You just called the referee a cheat. It was nicely said, but you just accused him/her of bias. If you said it loud enough to have others hear it (like the other coach)...well thats where you went so thats what you can get.

Its dissent. Its not horrible dissent but its dissent.
agsalaska
AG
How about the ref not letting the other coach work him like that instead of just carding everyone.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
agsalaska
AG
Rudyjax said:

Soccer referees would lose their **** if they had to do baseball.
They wouldn't make it through the first inning.

Granted, some coaches and fans take things way too far, but chirping is just a part of baseball culture.

The situation Ghost was in where he got a card for saying 'dont let him work you like that' happened to us a couple of weeks ago in baseball. The other teams coach was chirping about some calls and suddenly got three calls right on the edge of the plate. Our coach made basically the same comment to the umpire and the ump turned to him and said 'dont worry, ill get you some back next inning.' The chirping went back and forth all game. When it was all over everyone shook hands and laughed and what not and went on with their days. A soccer referee would never be able to handle that.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Mathguy64 said:

You got it for what you said. You just called the referee a cheat. It was nicely said, but you just accused him/her of bias. If you said it loud enough to have others hear it (like the other coach)...well thats where you went so thats what you can get.

He said it was my "menacing look".

And that's not what I implied at all. I've been an official before and coaches can manipulate them. It's human nature.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Mathguy64
AG
agsalaska said:

How about the ref not letting the other coach work him like that instead of just carding everyone.
Just because I call 3 fouls in a row against you doesnt mean the other coach is working me. It means I calling 3 fouls that I see.

Here is the thing coaches need to get. Dissent is real and its cardable behavior. Its not the end of the world to get a YC. Its the signal that you have reached a limit and to step back. Thats it. You stepped over a line and need to step back. Because you know what comes next.

Every referee has there own tolerance level for it. I have a lot lower level for an assistant coach than a HC. I'll take more from a HC because its their team. The assistant isnt really necessary to continue the game and so they get less rope to play with..
agdoc2001
AG
Mathguy64 said:

You got it for what you said. You just called the referee a cheat.
If he is allowing the other coach to influence his calls, he is a cheat.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
agdoc2001 said:

Mathguy64 said:

You got it for what you said. You just called the referee a cheat.
If he is allowing the other coach to influence his calls, he is a cheat.
I think that's a bit harsh. I don't think he decided to call fouls on us to help the other team, he just got manipulated. The soft fouls stopped after my yellow.

Towards the end of the game, he gave a quick yellow to the other team's goalie for time-wasting. She had the ball in her hands for 10 seconds but it wasn't really time-wasting, in my opinion.

In my opinion, he either had a bad game or just isn't very good.

I did ask the AR what happened on my yellow and he said he thought it was a bit harsh and he thought the other coach got him worked up and he took it out on me.
jeffk
AG
The next time I meet a JV coach that admits they went overboard and got a card they deserved will be the first.

~former JV soccer coach
jessexy
AG

Mathguy64 said:

He said it was my "menacing look".

And that's not what I implied at all. I've been an official before and coaches can manipulate them. It's human nature.
It's also been a long season. At this point in the season, teams may have played 25 or 30 games. Referees may have reffed 100-150 games and they've heard a lot of whining from anybody and everybody. Just like teams carry over things from the last game, it happens to officials to. I'm not saying its right or wrong, but at the end of a freezing cold season where you're the enemy for 2 games every night, any kind of look can become menacing and any kind of flippant statement can become dissent.

I haven't done that many games, but this time of the season is incredibly difficult. Tuesday night I had the top team in district vs. a bottom team. I had no idea of the standings and didn't care cuz its not the referee's job to officiate the standings, but to officiate that game. Well, the mission was different for the top team than it was for the bottom team so the fouls were different and the cards were different. The top team's coach called me over in the 2nd half and said "they're trying to hurt my players". I responded by saying "I know and I've already called about 15 more fouls in this game than normal. But remember, I can only call a foul after it's happened."

Was he manipulating me? He was probably trying to. Did it work? Maybe the opposing coach thought so. Either way, we kept playing. And its a good thing he read between the lines and started subbing his starters out soon after that. It's not just on the refs to manage a game properly. Sometimes the coaches have to do it too.
agsalaska
AG
Mathguy64 said:

agsalaska said:

Just because I call 3 fouls in a row against you doesnt mean the other coach is working me. It means I calling 3 fouls that I see.

Except in this case it sounds like the ref got worked. I know that may be hard for you to believe but it happens. A LOT.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
jeffk said:

The next time I meet a JV coach that admits they went overboard and got a card they deserved will be the first.

~former JV soccer coach

In a past life, I'm in total agreement. But I'm too old for that **** anymore.

Unfortunately, I'm no longer just the JV coach. I ended up with a mid-season promotion that I didn't want.
Mathguy64
AG
agsalaska said:

Mathguy64 said:

agsalaska said:

Except in this case it sounds like the ref got worked. I know that may be hard for you to believe but it happens. A LOT.

Coaches are always trying to work refs. It's their job. And yes referees aren't immune from it. It can be hard. Constantly getting ridden by a coach can make you start to doubt yourself. And that's why it's important to shut stuff down. Maybe a better way to handle it is tell that coach something like "Coach, you already heard me warn the other guy. This is yours." Now everyone has had a warning. Not that warnings have to be given.

And as jessexy said, by this time of the season people are just plain tired. They are tired of coaches yelling, fans cussing, players cussing at you. You name it. So instead of managing the dissent you just get a fast card.

But I'll stick to my guns. Saying "he's working you" is dissent. There was a better way to say that.
jeffk
AG
Oh, alright then! Congratulations (?)!

But also my sympathies - that's a tough way to make that leap.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Mathguy64 said:

agsalaska said:

Mathguy64 said:

agsalaska said:

Coaches are always trying to work refs. It's their job. And yes referees aren't immune from it. It can be hard. Constantly getting ridden by a coach can make you start to doubt yourself. And that's why it's important to shut stuff down. Maybe a better way to handle it is tell that coach something like "Coach, you already heard me warn the other guy. This is yours." Now everyone has had a warning. Not that warnings have to be given.

And as jessexy said, by this time of the season people are just plain tired. They are tired of coaches yelling, fans cussing, players cussing at you. You name it. So instead of managing the dissent you just get a fast card.

But I'll stick to my guns. Saying "he's working you" is dissent. There was a better way to say that.
Unless you are the other coach who got a clock stoppage and verbal warning. And then continued to complain the entire game.
Mathguy64
AG
That's on the guy with the whistle. Once warned that should be it. Zip it.
jessexy
AG
This whole coach/ref dynamic is wild right? I firmly believe that coaches/players/parents are just yelling to yell and they're really yelling at the shirt. My daughter's team had a bad group of refs this week in the last game of the regular season. Our parents yelled the whole game. (I'm the guy that sits up in the corner by myself). The other sides parents yelled the whole game too. So either the ref is equally good or equally bad if both sides are yelling right? Or maybe nothing the referee does is good enough for anybody. That's probably the right answer....

After the game they're still yelling and her coach does the best piece of coaching he's done all season; he turned to all the fans for our team and shouts to them "Leave the refs alone. It doesn't help. It never helps." He's in the middle of the field and the kids are shaking hands with the other team. I hope sits in their heads for a week until the playoff game.

BTW, this made me chuckle. The ref tossed a teacher from the stands about 12 minutes into the game. They'd just finished the Teacher Appreciation Night ceremony in between games where the teacher was one of those honored on the field.
Mathguy64
AG
""Leave the refs alone. It doesn't help. It never helps"

Truer words have never been spoken. The coveted blue parachute is awarded.
Mathguy64
AG
We had stands cleared twice this season and partially cleared (a group of more than 5) two other times. All for full on obscene abuse that didn't stop. In each case the referees stopped play, got admins and security involved to help calm it down and it didn't. So the game was stopped again and stands emptied.

You want to yell? Go ahead. I'm mostly immune to it. At some point you have to get a thick skin and just focus on the game in front of you. Start cussing me out from the stands and you have crossed a line.

It's getting bad out there and UIL has started to take a stand. Schools are getting held accountable.
Rudyjax
AG
We had a referee scream at a girl, "I said put it on the 30!" after she took a free kick about a foot in front of the 50 yard line. He meant, put the ball back a foot to the 50.

She then starts dribbling the ball to the 30, and he blows the whistle and gives her a card.

She's like, WTF. Parents are screaming at the ref for yelling at the kid and giving her a card for doing what he said to do.

He realizes his mistake, and waves off the card.

Let's just say the rest of the game didn't go well for him. People calmed down, but a few people kept heckling him, " Put it on the 30" before every kick.

My thoughts, at mid field and the free kick was just a pass, what's the point of stopping it? Why scream at the girl because she didn't do what he said, when what he said didn't make sense to her.

Parents got excited after he screamed at the player. They calmed down though. The heckling was funny though.

Refs, how would you respond?

bigjag19
AG
The 30 behind or the 30 in front? Massive difference
Mathguy64
AG
Just tell her "Come on. The 30 not the 50". And then I get to the drop zone. It's a management issue. As long as it's not obviously time wasting at the end of a tight game just move on from it.

When a player tries to take a throw in way down from the actual spot I usually make a comment along the lines "I'll let you cheat a little bit that is a lot." I say it with a smile. It usually gets a laugh from everyone around and it solves the problem the rest of the match.
Rudyjax
AG
bigjag19 said:

The 30 behind or the 30 in front? Massive difference
He meant 50.
Rudyjax
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Just tell her "Come on. The 30 not the 50". And then I get to the drop zone. It's a management issue. As long as it's not obviously time wasting at the end of a tight game just move on from it.

When a player tries to take a throw in way down from the actual spot I usually make a comment along the lines "I'll let you cheat a little bit that is a lot." I say it with a smile. It usually gets a laugh from everyone around and it solves the problem the rest of the match.
He meant the 50 and not the 30 and carded her for going to the 30 after he yelled at her for not going to the 30.
jeffk
AG
jessexy said:

BTW, this made me chuckle. The ref tossed a teacher from the stands about 12 minutes into the game. They'd just finished the Teacher Appreciation Night ceremony in between games where the teacher was one of those honored on the field.

This is incredible. I wish I worked at the school where this happened. The ways to tease the teacher about this over the next several years are literally endless.
jeffk
AG
Wave off the card, apologize to the kid, keep doing my job, and ignore the fans like I always do.
Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

Wave off the card, apologize to the kid, keep doing my job, and ignore the fans like I always do.
Do you feel him having her move the ball back a foot when she was just passing it to a teammate at mid field is trifling?
jeffk
AG
Once the whistle is blown, it's blown. He probably wished he'd just let it go. (I wouldn't have been that picky probably.)
bigjag19
AG
Not screaming at players is part 1.
Jim01
AG
Not high school related but this seems to be the kids soccer thread.

We just got notice our games against Solar got cancelled this weekend. It shows 1.45" in the last 24 hours at UT Dallas, nothing but sun all today and perfect weather all weekend. Man I frickin hate UT Dallas. A squirrel pisses on their fields and they shut it down.

Just had to vent.
Rudyjax
AG
Jim01 said:

Not high school related but this seems to be the kids soccer thread.

We just got notice our games against Solar got cancelled this weekend. It shows 1.45" in the last 24 hours at UT Dallas, nothing but sun all today and perfect weather all weekend. Man I frickin hate UT Dallas. A squirrel pisses on their fields and they shut it down.

Just had to vent.
Dude, i spit on the field once at UTD and they cancelled the rest of the games for the season.
SCHTICK00
AG
Funny thing is, the hardest game for us to get in is against Albion. You'd think we could get a midweek game in anytime. So many cancellations
jessexy
AG
Refs are human too. I was assigned the whistle on one of the bigger 6A Boys playoff games tomorrow night. I gave it back so I can go to my daughter's playoff game instead. Both games were scheduled at the same time.
Rudyjax
AG
Down goes Allen in the first round.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.