My least favorite thing about high school soccer…

30,756 Views | 414 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
agsalaska said:

Mathguy64 said:

Rudyjax said:

bigjag19 said:

Rudyjax said:

Mathguy64 said:

Rudyjax said:

bigjag19 said:

No rule against it!
Well, you might be right on the NFHS rules. Which i haven't learned yet.

Law 4 in IFAB clearly states

Quote:

Each goalkeeper must wear colours that are distinguishable from the other players and the match officials

My shirt is red. The GK is red and black sleeves. Problem solved!

Seriously though. At professional/international events things like colors are worked out ahead of time. Down to what color pinnie is worn by substitutes. And of course they have plenty of colors to choose from.

At everything below that, wear what you can and try and not stand next to the GKer . Getting three people who may or may not have a blue shirt in their bag to not conflict on Sunday and then having to change to green the next game is a PITA.

I did two games this year where the other ref had a yellow shirt. That's it. I sort of suggested he take some of that hard earned game fee and buy another color. Or two.

I take it with the shortage that you just go with what you got.

I didn't see it in the rules, but in the Lake Highlands/Flower Mound Girls game, both keepers were wearing Aquablue. Shouldn't one of them change?

Also allowed.

Now when I did a 3rd round playoff game in CS 3 years ago and home keeper comes out in the slightest color variance from her team…

Any concerns at the end of the match when the keeper comes out for a header at the end of regulation?

Tell the coach to make her change or wear a pinnie before the game starts. He/She won't want to. I don't care what they want.

And if both coaches tell you no and ask you to move on and get the game started?

"Is this the hill you want to die on coach?"

Seriously. No coach in their right mind is saying that. And if they do, well the player is improperly equipped and I guess they are gonna die on that hill. I mean we literally ask every coach "Are your players legally and properly equipped?" before every game.

But come on. Make them change. And don't start the game until they do. It's not hard.
agsalaska
AG
Mathguy64 said:

agsalaska said:

Mathguy64 said:

Rudyjax said:

bigjag19 said:

Rudyjax said:

Mathguy64 said:

Rudyjax said:

bigjag19 said:

No rule against it!

Quote:

Each goalkeeper must wear colours that are distinguishable from the other players and the match officials

Seriously though. At professional/international events things like colors are worked out ahead of time. Down to what color pinnie is worn by substitutes. And of course they have plenty of colors to choose from.

At everything below that, wear what you can and try and not stand next to the GKer . Getting three people who may or may not have a blue shirt in their bag to not conflict on Sunday and then having to change to green the next game is a PITA.

I did two games this year where the other ref had a yellow shirt. That's it. I sort of suggested he take some of that hard earned game fee and buy another color. Or two.

I didn't see it in the rules, but in the Lake Highlands/Flower Mound Girls game, both keepers were wearing Aquablue. Shouldn't one of them change?

Also allowed.

Now when I did a 3rd round playoff game in CS 3 years ago and home keeper comes out in the slightest color variance from her team…

Any concerns at the end of the match when the keeper comes out for a header at the end of regulation?

Tell the coach to make her change or wear a pinnie before the game starts. He/She won't want to. I don't care what they want.

And if both coaches tell you no and ask you to move on and get the game started?

Seriously. No coach in their right mind is saying that. And if they do, well the player is improperly equipped and I guess they are gonna die on that hill. I mean we literally ask every coach "Are your players legally and properly equipped?" before every game.

But come on. Make them change. And don't start the game until they do. It's not hard.

So let me get this straight. If two goalies are wearing the same colors but are not clashing with any of the field players you would force one of the goalies to change no matter what the coaches said? Really?

You have come off fairly unreasonable in the last couple of pages but this one takes the cake.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

Rudyjax
AG
agsalaska said:

Mathguy64 said:

agsalaska said:

Mathguy64 said:

Rudyjax said:

bigjag19 said:

Rudyjax said:

Mathguy64 said:

Rudyjax said:

bigjag19 said:

No rule against it!

Quote:

Also allowed.

So let me get this straight. If two goalies are wearing the same colors but are not clashing with any of the field players you would force one of the goalies to change no matter what the coaches said? Really?

You have come off fairly unreasonable in the last couple of pages but this one takes the cake.

I'm confused because in the next post he said he didn't care.

Mathguy64
AG
agsalaska said:

Mathguy64 said:

agsalaska said:

Mathguy64 said:

Rudyjax said:

bigjag19 said:

Rudyjax said:

Mathguy64 said:

Rudyjax said:

bigjag19 said:

No rule against it!

Quote:

Also allowed.

Maybe learn to read. It's not that hard. I said if they match their own team or the other team they change and wear a pinnie.
Rudyjax
AG
Mathguy64 said:

agsalaska said:

Mathguy64 said:

agsalaska said:

Mathguy64 said:

Rudyjax said:

bigjag19 said:

Rudyjax said:

Mathguy64 said:

Rudyjax said:

bigjag19 said:

No rule against it!

Quote:

Also allowed.

Maybe learn to read. It's not that hard. I said if they match their own team or the other team they change and wear a pinnie.
This is what you replied to:

Quote:

Mathguy64 said:

agsalaska
AG
Mathguy64 said:

agsalaska said:

Mathguy64 said:

agsalaska said:

Mathguy64 said:

Rudyjax said:

bigjag19 said:

Rudyjax said:

Mathguy64 said:

Rudyjax said:

bigjag19 said:

No rule against it!

Quote:

Also allowed.

I'm thinking you need to learn to read mr refereee. Sir. Mister. Go look at your initial response. You said you would make them change? GO READ IT.

When you realize it was your mistake, is this dissent. Should I get a yellow card for questioning you then dealing with your smart ads remark back to me? Do I deserve a card?
See the problem yet?

Geez.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

Mathguy64
AG
I literally wrote this.

"If it's close to their team they change. If it's close to the opposing team they change. I could care less if each GK wears the same color. They won't be next to each other the whole game unless one is down on the other area the last 10 seconds and I can figure that out. And I don't care if they match me."

I'm out. Yall want to argue, go for it.
Jim01
AG
Yeah I guess I look at it more like when a teacher notices a students eyes drifting and says "Mary, eyes on your own paper please!" type thing.

It's definitely subjective for sure. To me the amount of cards that followed showed me the ref had no control over the game.

Usually a yellow card is to protect players but it felt like it was getting to the point someone was going to get hurt because of the yellows. I played basketball with a decent amount of players that took the attitude of "if you are going to call me for breathing on the player then next time I'm going make damn sure I get my money's worth on the foul" attitude when there were a lot of whistles.

Again, appreciate all you do. I don't envy you. The two ARs were very calm and great.

The game before us was PNG boys versus B F Terry. It was very physical and went to over time. I just kept thinking, "Man if she had refed that game they would have eaten her alive!"
agsalaska
AG
Mathguy64 said:

I literally wrote this.

"If it's close to their team they change. If it's close to the opposing team they change. I could care less if each GK wears the same color. They won't be next to each other the whole game unless one is down on the other area the last 10 seconds and I can figure that out. And I don't care if they match me."

I'm out. Yall want to argue, go for it.

Read what you wrote before that. And don't be a *****.

Ghost of Andrew Eaton
I will say, the ref and ARs for our game last night were good, especially the ref. We went to double OT and he called a foul in the box within the last two minutes in the of the game but we made the save. It was a fair call, although I don't believe it was a penalty.

Went down 0-2 in PKs but won it with our 7th shooter. This job is going to kill me but it was a fun game.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
dallasag00
AG
Oh my, that's a bold take. The PK awarded in OT was an egregious foul. Watch the tape.

The worst call of the game, however, was waving off the OT goal for "obstruction". Player obstructed no one and redirected a ball at her feet into the net from an on side position. Again, watch the tape.

To say the referees did a good job last night is just false. Facts not feelings.

Mustang1
AG
Are we talking about the Jordan/Stratford girls game?
dallasag00
AG
Yes.
King Koda
AG
I find it interesting we get into a refereeing discussion that leads back to "if you are in the classroom" where the vast majority of referees have never been in the classroom. Here are my two cents as someone who has coached, taught in high school classrooms and had two girls play high level soccer (including state championship and NWSL). I want referees who manage the match and not insert their own opinions/preferences into the match. It is about the kids - not about your personal opinions. When my oldest daughter had a hat trick in the state championship game, she probably dropped a cuss word or two just out of her competitive nature. There is a reason why the referees there were in that game and didn't show any cards. They let the kids determine the outcome and not their personal opinions. Just like if you are a high school teacher who sends every student who commits any infraction to the principal, you won't last long in that school. You have to use a level of understanding and judgment of the situation. Deal with the situations as they arise and have an understanding of what is abusive versus reactionary. If you are going to be a referee who has to go by the letter of the law with one rule (cussing), then you need to use the same decision making process on every other rule of the game (goalie jersey colors). This is the main reason why you have to "manage the game" and not "be a stickler of the game." I get it - you want to be the sheriff of the morals you hold important, but that isn't your job. Your job is to help provide a fair match. In my opinion, this is the main reason (other than just poor understanding of the rules) that differentiates the truly good centers and ARs versus the ones who can't make it to the big show. Making a mistake is part of the match for all parties involved, but acting like your morals are more important than all other aspects of the match and those others involved in the match is acting as a god and not just a balance of fair play.
jessexy
AG
Man, I'm not sure where the post above came from, but congrats to you on getting it off your chest.

The "Extension of the classroom" quote comes from the UIL. Refs don't make that up before every game. The UIL gives that directive to TASO, who then gives that directive to the referees certified to officiate all HS sports. The ADs and Superintendents tell us that the field of play in high school athletics is an "extension of the classroom". I've heard around 50 ADs say that phrase or agree to that in formal UIL meetings with TASO when I served as a region administrator. I've also heard the UIL State Soccer rep say it (3 different reps, in fact).

If you call someone a ***** in class, there are consequences. If you do it on the field, there are consequences too, they come from the rulebook. Same with fighting, same with whatever else you want. If that directive from the UIL and ADs is given to referees but not to coaches, then the disconnect is somewhere else.

I tend to not take it personally except when players use the N-word. Other than that, the game is the game and anything that comes is part of the job. But I'll set my boundaries pretty quickly on what's acceptable and what's not, within the rules, of course. On the contrary, if the ref can't take it personally when the coach yells, then the coach can't take it personally when they get this yellow or red card either.
bigjag19
AG
If you cuss under your breath and I hear it, as long as it's just a frustration with yourself, it's a quiet reminder.

If you mess up something and scream **** so that the top of the stands hears it, you've left me no choice. Can't choose which black and white rules to ignore.

Goalie clashing with team is somewhat subjective but like with anything, you know it when you see it.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, I think most referees do want to be good game managers when it comes down to it. There are some sanctimonious aholes out there who want the game to be all about them, but you just have to grin and beat it when they have your game and hope they grow out of that at some point although if you turn on pro matches any weekend you'll see several who continue to do all that "look at me" stuff.

As someone who's played, coached club and HS, and taught HS, I'll say this too: the way school athletics are run continues to reflect the foci of educational leaders in the state. All school districts have incredibly punitive dress codes and student behavior rules… and those carry over into the school-sponsored activities. Believe me, no ref shows up to a match jazzed about busting a 15 year old for saying ***** or STFU or having mismatched color of undergarments. That's all stuff the UIL (again obsessed with control) has made sure to include in their training materials and codified into their rules.

My first year in HISD, I sent all the rules to my AD and highlighted and explained that if they didn't pony up and buy my kids matching long sleeved undershirts and sliders, we were going to have a crapton of parents angry about their kids freezing in January or getting sent off by referees for not being properly equipped. The district ended up getting all the teams a set of undergarments. The letter of the law is really nit-picky because those in control like being nit-picky. Asking refs to subjectively decide which nits to pick or not pick gets you some really inconsistent performances… which is what I think a lot of the complaints boil down to.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
dallasag00 said:

Oh my, that's a bold take. The PK awarded in OT was an egregious foul. Watch the tape.

The worst call of the game, however, was waving off the OT goal for "obstruction". Player obstructed no one and redirected a ball at her feet into the net from an on side position. Again, watch the tape.

To say the referees did a good job last night is just false. Facts not feelings.

Egregious?

She was hanging offsides and was probably offsides when the shot was taken and she made a play on the ball right next to the goalie. I've seen the film, multiple times.

I understand why he called the PK at the end but I still don't think it's a penalty. She got the ball first and didn't go through the player to get it. But it was bang bang.

Stratford is very well-coached and probably the best team in the region and they had their chances. They didn't take them.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Well done. Some coaches won't advocate for their kids like that.
dallasag00
AG
Ha - it isn't my fandom showing, it is in fact what happened and rightfully was given on the field. No doubt that Stratford earned a gold medal for dominating a game and still finding a way to lose on Tuesday night.

The bigger question is where was the obstruction on the goal taken off the board? It wasn't called offsides on the play, if it was I agree it was a very close play and you couldn't really be mad if that call was made. Obstruction was the call on the field.

Head ref (who was the A/R in the earlier game) waived two goals off on Tuesday night, both for obstruction. In the Memorial vs Seven Lakes game head referee calls it a goal immediately for memorial and then he is waived off by the A/R.

I've coached and watched soccer for a long, long time and I can recall one obstruction call made and it wasn't on a goal scoring play. We had two obstruction calls on Tuesday night - one against Stratford and one against Memorial, both taking goals off the board. Both calls were made by the same individual, both benefiting the KISD schools.

Serious question, has anyone ever seen that happen before?
Rudyjax
AG
What is offsides?

Seriously though, I would need to see the film. I've never heard of that.
jeffk
AG
Thanks, I appreciate that.

For all of the district's faults, I had nothing but good experiences with the HISD athletic department while I was there. Leadership was organized and listened to their coaches and (mostly) didn't tolerate idiots who shouldn't be coaching kids. When we made the playoffs, they rolled out the red carpet for my kids and that meant the world to them and their families and the school (which didn't have a lot to feel celebrated for traditionally).
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
The center ref was not the A/R in the game before. It was a completely different crew, unless I'm misunderstanding what you wrote.

I believe the call was offside, not obstruction but I could have missed that with everything going on. The AR signaled offsides.
bigjag19
AG
I think I've maybe had a few seasons with multiple obstruction calls. Usually it's the defender turns to look at the attacker and moves into their path and away from the ball.
dallasag00
AG
That was what happened in my sole recollection of an obstruction call. The ones on Tuesday night were both called on goal scoring plays going against the attacking team.
jessexy
AG
jeffk said:

Yeah, I think most referees do want to be good game managers when it comes down to it. There are some sanctimonious aholes out there who want the game to be all about them, but you just have to grin and beat it when they have your game and hope they grow out of that at some point although if you turn on pro matches any weekend you'll see several who continue to do all that "look at me" stuff.

I think there are far more coaches out there like this than referees. If you don't believe me, put a microphone in front of them after a loss and listen to them blame it on everything other than themselves. This is still an Aggie site, right? We just fired a football coach that was the epitome of sanctimonious aholes.

Game-managing referees are difficult to find too. This type of referee has to understand the LOTG while also understanding the intricacies of the game and processing the individual abilities of players. Then they identify and understand team tactics and try to officiate the game to allow both teams to play the style they desire to play (or the coach desires them to play even if he/she doesn't have the players to play that style) and allow the individual players to perform how they are capable of athletically. Officiating a super technical CM isn't the same as an uber-athletic RB. A small, shifty forward who wants to run in behind the defense is way different than a hold-up forward with his back to goal. Sometimes the small shifty guy is better at hold-up play and the big target forward doesn't want contact on his back.
jeffk
AG
And in HS a lot of that comes from having folks with a background in one of the more coach-centric sports slide over to soccer out of convenience or sometimes necessity. It's gotten worlds better than it used to be, but you can absolutely tell which HS soccer coaches are also HS basketball or football coaches.
jeffk
AG
Here's a fun one. Two Brownsville teams facing each other in the playoffs. Tight game and this happens at the final whistle. Card or no card?

Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

Here's a fun one. Two Brownsville teams facing each other in the playoffs. Tight game and this happens at the final whistle. Card or no card?

I couldn't hear if he what he was saying or flipping the bird.
I'd say no if he wasn't profane or flipping the bird.

I'm sure they were taunting him all match.
jessexy
AG
jeffk said:

Taunting is a red card in HS rules, There is no cautionable action for taunting in the rules. So, if the referee deems the gesture, words, or actions of the player to be taunting, then the only outcome available is a red card.

If the referee deems the behavior to be Unsportsmanlike Conduct, then the action is a caution.

It's also important to know that the referee's authority begins when he/she enters the field and ends when he/she leaves the field. So actions of players and coaches that occur after the game are eligible for yellow or red cards.

I hope this doesn't confuse things even more, but understanding of the rules is necessary before you can interpret them. I'll leave it without comment on this particular clip cuz the referees took action on the field as they deemed necessary. Props to them.
agsalaska
AG
jeffk said:

If they would have given a red card that red would have received a lot of criticism. Or maybe dissent. And he would have deserved it.

Yellow? Meh. Whatever.

Edited to clarify my poor choice of words

Rudyjax
AG
agsalaska said:

jeffk said:

If they would have given a red card that red would have had his ass kicked. And he would have deserved it.

Yellow? Meh. Whatever.

What?
bigjag19
AG
Aren't those jerseys illegal?
agsalaska
AG
Rudyjax said:

agsalaska said:

jeffk said:

If they would have given a red card that red would have had his ass kicked. And he would have deserved it.

Yellow? Meh. Whatever.

What?

To clarify I do not mean physically getting in a fight. Thats not what I meant. I would never condone or encourage something like that.

He would have been heavily criticized. That's what I meant but those words still don't sound right to me.

That came off wrong and I will edit to clarify.

agsalaska
AG
In all seriousness, I want to clarify again that I was not condoning or encouraging a physical altercation with a referee. I was doing something else when I typed that and never came back to it after that.

Obviously a horrible look and I apologize. We had a fight last year in the stands and it was absolutely horrible. Would never want that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.