***** USMNT vs The Netherlands WC R16 Game Thread (12/3) *****

62,934 Views | 1293 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aggiephoenix02
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Didn't Regis marry an American and was able to switch immediately?
birdman
Chuck Cunningham said:

Didn't Regis marry an American and was able to switch immediately?
Yes. The courtship of David Regis was unseemly. He was supposed to be the end of our problems on backline. Instead, he was just a little better. But it caused lots of in-fighting with the team and messed up the chemistry.
chjoak
AG
Anyone that gets a US passport can play for the US if they haven't played for another country.
Rudyjax
AG
Well the good news is we'll finish this World Cup like every country in the world except one.
Furlock Bones
AG
We got the exact kind of results you should expect out of a coach hired through pure nepotism. Down with US Soccer. Down with the athlete's council led by Stu Holden.
La Bamba
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Mathguy64 said:

The number of world class 9s out there can be counted with fingers on one hand and two of them play for France. Everyone wants one and almost no one has one.

You need to design a system to take advantage of your players and their strengths and not force a player on a field because they play a certain position.

Agree with this, but has their been a World Cup winner without a world class 9?

Spain immediately comes to mind.

David Villa and Fernando Torres we're pretty damn good in the 2008-2012 Spain run.
Pahdz
We get it you don't like ggg, have anything else to add to the discussion?
TXAggie2011
AG
There might be limited world class strikers out there but our options are really quite far from "World Class." Edit…at this point, at least.

We have to try to cause more chaos in the box. Take more shots, make more runs.

We did better late in the game, imo. Tried to connect on the little passes, tried to be more direct and get ball into the box with our feet. The go to the corner and cross it without making a bunch of active runs centrally…that was never going to work against that back 3 and won't work against most World Cup level squads. Way too static. Way too dependent on the defense making a mistake. I hate we took so long to dial that in.
Furlock Bones
AG
Pahdz said:

This entire game comes down Gregg and his mismanagement. We never scored more than a single goal in any match. His record outside of the comfy confines of Ohio is terrible. This is everything wrong with Us soccer. That's what we should be talking about.
greg.w.h
AG
Furlock Bones said:

We got the exact kind of results you should expect out of a coach hired through pure nepotism. Down with US Soccer. Down with the athlete's council led by Stu Holden.
The entire US system is antithetical to world class play. But the result was solid prior to the Netherlands game where we just lack the talent and experience. We are catching up with game slowly. But need a better structure for promoting local talent. College is evil…no one should go to college if they plan to play top tier. Head to Europe instead.
Furlock Bones
AG
greg.w.h said:

Furlock Bones said:

The entire US system is antithetical to world class play. But the result was solid prior to the Netherlands game where we just lack the talent and experience. We are catching up with game slowly. But need a better structure for promoting local talent. College is evil…no one should go to college if they plan to play top tier. Head to Europe instead.

That's the thing. This game wasn't about technical ability. It was about Van Gaal coaching the doors of Berhalter. We have the technical ability.
Pahdz
Just like players, there are good coaches and average coaches. Sometimes you just don't have the top coaches. We're not a top 10 (or even 15) job, so we're left with outside that range coaches.

GGG did what we needed him to do, now let's see if he made the job attractive to those who can get us to the next level.
TXAggie2011
AG
Furlock Bones said:

greg.w.h said:

Furlock Bones said:

That's the thing. This game wasn't about technical ability. It was about Van Gaal coaching the doors of Berhalter. We have the technical ability.

Do we? Van Gaal's squad came out like one that wasn't so sure we do.
Furlock Bones
AG
Pahdz said:

Just like players, there are good coaches and average coaches. Sometimes you just don't have the top coaches. We're not a top 10 (or even 15) job, so we're left with outside that range coaches.

GGG did what we needed him to do, now let's see if he made the job attractive to those who can get us to the next level.

Definitely disagree with that. Even still it doesn't excuse the nepotism and corruption in US soccer.
Furlock Bones
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Furlock Bones said:

greg.w.h said:

Furlock Bones said:

Do we? Van Gaal's squad came out like one that wasn't so sure we do.

Van Gaal's goal was invite pressure until we got too far upfield. They almost gave up an early goal. But it unlocked us like a bic pen to a kryptonite bike lock.
Rudyjax
AG
greg.w.h said:

Furlock Bones said:

Colleges are not getting top talent. Most are signing pro contracts at 16-17. Playing MLS Next pro then signing with the big clubs. A good model is why Tyler Adams did. Played MLS 16-19, went to Germany then EPL.

The model is growing. Our crop youth players are beating top players globally. Just wait.
Pahdz
Disagree with what? Did you expect a semifinal appearance? We freaking watched from home four years ago and the program was in shambles.
Furlock Bones
AG
Pahdz said:

Disagree with what? Did you expect a semifinal appearance? We freaking watched from home four years ago and the program was in shambles.

The job status. US Soccer artificially limits the job. It's not because big coaches won't take it.
birdman
I don't think Berhalter was anything extraordinary. But he isn't the incompetent boob that everybody on Texags believes. All faults of this team, all bad luck seem to be laid at Berhalter's feet.

We could have done some things differently today, but that was hindsight.

All three goals were the same thing today. A player just lost their mind and didn't bother marking their man. And another teammate didn't close out whatsoever on Dutch attacker with ball in dangerous spot. Allowing a professional player to take his time and pass to wide open teammate is awful.

That isn't Berhalter's fault. If that happened at Katy High School, the Katy coach would chew out his players.
zgolfz85
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

greg.w.h said:

Furlock Bones said:

Colleges are not getting top talent. Most are signing pro contracts at 16-17. Playing MLS Next pro then signing with the big clubs. A good model is why Tyler Adams did. Played MLS 16-19, went to Germany then EPL.

The model is growing. Our crop youth players are beating top players globally. Just wait.

This. The academy system is on the right track. I have a coworker whose son is well on his way to getting a contract…I believe he's 14 or 15 now and been in the academy system a few years now. It's on the come-up. If we continue to refine it and pour resources in, I could honestly see us being a top 10 team forever in a decade and never looking back. Every cup that goes by, we attract that much more young talent as soccer becomes more and more popular here. The future is bright no doubt.
zgolfz85
AG
PatAg
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Pahdz said:

This entire game comes down Gregg and his mismanagement. We never scored more than a single goal in any match. His record outside of the comfy confines of Ohio is terrible. This is everything wrong with Us soccer. That's what we should be talking about.
What about the group stage
JJxvi
AG
Van Gaal didn't do any genius outfoxing of Berhalter. They played exactly how they've been playing.
TXAggie2011
AG
JJxvi said:

Van Gaal didn't do any genius outfoxing of Berhalter. They played exactly how they've been playing.

They definitely invited more pressure than they had previously against Ecuador and Senegal. Also thought their wingbacks stayed home more, their front 2/3 sat further back and allowed less space behind them. But I thought they looked quite happy to do it knowing we aren't great at creating from possession.
Furlock Bones
AG
PatAg said:

Furlock Bones said:

Pahdz said:

He got 1 win and 2 draws making it through by the skin of his teeth. His record outside of the US is objectively bad.
Dre_00
Haven't read the thread so these are points that have probably been made but...

For me the game is effectively their wingbacks outplaying our wingbacks (fullbacks really but...they might as well be wingbacks). Dest and Robinson are generally liabilities in defense and advantages going forward. And boy howdy they were liabilities in defense. The 2nd and 3rd goals were just fundamental player errors in my opinion. Not tracking Blind was sheer negligence and feeling the need to pinch so far in leaving Dumfries wide open was idiotic. Other than that, it's a lot of what we would expect. A team that can possess the ball (especially when the opponent cedes possession and I was surprised to see the NL so willing to do that after their 1st goal) and create some good passages of play but can't finish to save their life.

Frustrating because that game was there to be won if we don't make some just boneheaded defensive plays. I don't necessarily want Gregg to be the coach for the next cycle but I also don't know how much blame I'd give him for the loss. If anything, I think this WC helped his stock (for better or for worse).
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Furlock Bones said:

PatAg said:

Furlock Bones said:

Pahdz said:

He got 1 win and 2 draws making it through by the skin of his teeth. His record outside of the US is objectively bad.

How many teams advanced to the knockout round "by the skin of their teeth"?
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Just finished.
Big Zimm and Ream looked outclassed today, but they did ok scrambling to keep it together. Really we were outclassed all over the pitch. Not grossly, like in years past. The gap between the traditional powers and our side is growing smaller each year. Not saying we will win it all in 4 years, but I expect to win the group and get to the final 8, if not beyond.
Ggg was not the problem today. No X's and O's was going to change the outcome. This was all the Jimmy's and the Joe's, or should I say the Ruud's and the Vincent's. That being said, screw ggg. Get somebody else. Somebody that doesn't wear a t shirt.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Furlock Bones said:

greg.w.h said:

Furlock Bones said:

England has the same problem. They're top 4 at worst on paper but Gareth southgate is …. suspect.
Davato_11
Lets be serious we are still nowhere close to do anything outside of the rd of 16..This was the most goals allowed since 2006 the coach needs to go
PatAg
AG
Furlock Bones said:

PatAg said:

Furlock Bones said:

Pahdz said:

Sounds like you just made your mind up before the world cup started.
There is no world where I want him to keep coaching, and I never wanted him in the first place, but he raised his level for the world cup
Still wasnt good enough though
jeffk
AG
I think we're a solid top 25 team in the world… but there's a significant hill left to climb to be a top 10 team.

And GB is far from perfect, but I definitely think some folks are over their skis with the "we got out-coached" talk today. Could we have held our outside backs from attacking as much as we were having them? Sure, but then you're asking our gassed midfield to carry even more offensive weight and I don't think they had the legs for that today. There's just not much you can do tactically (with our player pool) to force a team to come out of a half-field block like the Dutch we're in today… except score on them. And we had two great first half chances that we failed to capitalize on.

The Dutch pretty much did what we expected them to do - absorb pressure then spring forward and capitalize on the break or through set pieces. Every one of their goals came from a US player making a mental error - one on Adams, one on Dest, and one on Jedi. All of whom played massive minutes in every one of our group games. At our freshest, we can hang with anyone… today we weren't sharp and it lost us the game.

I don't expect GB to be around to lead us into 2026 qualifying play (I know we have an autobid). NT managers just don't have that long a shelf life. That said, I appreciate where he's taken this program and the positive trend he has is moving in. I really like this squad of core players.
MookieBlaylock
AG
National team coaches are usually 2 cycles

He took a team and program in utter shambles and put in a system that works

I have no problem seeing what the next level is in his system
And where it can go

TRM
jeffk
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.