*****2022 FIFA World Cup Knockout Stage - Round of 16 Thread*****

18,841 Views | 474 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by La Bamba
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No more Swiss Miss for me. Adios Lindt. See ya Rolex.
oh no
AG
the pub at 1pm on Friday for Argentina v the Dutch
deadbq03
AG
Brutal.

Out in Left Field
wangus12
AG
deadbq03 said:

I can wholeheartedly root for this non-CR7 Portugal.

Nope. Ronaldo getting a World Cup winners medal is unacceptable.

Although there would be something very funny about Portugal winning both the Euros and the WC and Ronaldo being a nonfactor in the final
AggieCrew44
AG
So many haters for a top 3 player ever
Mathguy64
AG
AggieCrew44 said:

I'm not saying he's not in the discussion but he's benefiting as a player from things players like Pele never had including manicured pitches and much better ball technology. I mean night and day better balls. Add in what we now know about nutrition and sports medicine in general plus the types of travel players have access to.

It's not a fair comparison.

It's the same argument for golfers like Bobby Jones or Hogan compared to Woods and the types of clubs and shafts they used then and now. One of the things Woods struggled with was significantly larger volume drivers. He couldn't control them like he did his old Titleist driver.
PatAg
AG
AggieCrew44 said:

Named Ronaldo?
AggieCrew44
AG
PatAg said:

AggieCrew44 said:

Named Ronaldo?
My point exactly
deadbq03
AG
wangus12 said:

deadbq03 said:

I can wholeheartedly root for this non-CR7 Portugal.

Nope. Ronaldo getting a World Cup winners medal is unacceptable.

Although there would be something very funny about Portugal winning both the Euros and the WC and Ronaldo being a nonfactor in the final
Ultimately I like good soccer way more than I dislike Ronaldo. Portugal were really fun to watch today. With all my teams out, I'm just rooting for quality games.

But I also think it would be hilarious if Portugal win the World Cup with him on the bench. The medal would be a constant reminder than he was benched. It would be a curse, not a trophy.
Dre_00
AggieCrew44 said:

You appear unfamiliar with the dynamics of greatness in sports and what it elicits in fans.
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
Dre_00 said:

AggieCrew44 said:

You appear unfamiliar with the dynamics of greatness in sports and what it elicits in fans.

The reason so many people dislike Ronaldo isn't because he is good at soccer, otherwise Messi would be equally hated. It is because he is an arrogant narcissist and possibly a rapist.
deadbq03
AG
I think the most intense hatred is from the RM-Barca rivalry, and there's tons of Messi hatred from that angle. The Penaldo/Pessi children on Twitter are tiring.

But yes, I think most neutrals (not fans of a team that either have played for) respect the game of both but dislike Ronaldo for those reasons you list… and Ronaldo has cranked it to 11 with his antics this year.
wangus12
AG
I agree. I have zero issues with Ronaldo the player. He's been a ton of fun to watch over the last 20 years, but his antics on and off the field have also been annoying the last 20 years.
Dre_00
I agree completely. My point was merely that "great" players are often hated for a myriad reasons. Some more than others but there is no great player that is universally loved and every great player is hated by at least one if not several large fanbases.
ColoradoMooseHerd
jeffk said:

Exact same situation that led him to leave the stadium back in Manchester.
Time left in the game was quite a bit different
La Bamba
AG
Morocco = West Virginia of world soccer.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/watch-mass-riots-hit-europe-after-moroccos-world-cup-victory-against-spain
jeffk
AG
about 15' difference yeah, but the outcome was decided in both cases.
MookieBlaylock
AG
It's Coke vs Pepsi and Ronaldo is Pepsi

La Bamba
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

It's Coke vs Pepsi and Ronaldo is Pepsi

Well obviously since he clearly hates Coke

https://www.espn.com/soccer/portugal-por/story/4410619/cristiano-ronaldo-snub-sees-coca-cola-share-price-fall-by-$4bn

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.