*****2022 FIFA World Cup Knockout Stage - Round of 16 Thread*****

19,044 Views | 474 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by La Bamba
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Because I'm impatient, Jeffk has the untold weight of the Official Match threads and I used to make these anyways. I'll update this post as the group stage matches wrap up.

Saturday, December 3rd

United States of America v Netherlands
9:00 AM CT
Khalifa International Stadium
Al Rayyan, Qatar

Argentina v Australia
1:00 PM CT
Ahmad bin Ali Stadium
Al Rayyan, Qatar

Sunday, December 4th

France v Poland
Al-Thumama Stadium
Al-Thumama, Qatar

England v Senegal
Al-Bayt Stadium
Al Khor, Qatar

Monday, December 5th

Japan v Croatia
Al-Janoub Stadium
Al-Wakrah, Qatar

Brasil v South Korea
Stadium 974
Ras Abu Aboud, Qatar

Tuesday, December 6th

Portugal v Switzerland
Lusail Iconic Stadium
Lusail, Qatar

Morocco
v Spain
Education City Stadium
Al Rayyan, Qatar
jeffk
AG
I mean I said I'd do it tomorrow. Lol.

Excellent work and thank you though.
wangus12
AG
I gotta make up my posting numbers after being out for a month
Seven Costanza
AG
It looks like the winner of the USA/Netherlands game will play the winner of the Argentina/Poland group or the runner-up in the Australia/Denmark/Tunisia group. All Poland needs is a tie against Argentina to win their group, as far as I can tell.

If the US were able to get past the Dutch, they could have a very winnable game in the quarterfinals.
Artorias
AG
How do we match up against Netherlands?
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Seven Costanza said:

It looks like the winner of the USA/Netherlands game will play the winner of the Argentina/Poland group or the runner-up in the Australia/Denmark/Tunisia group. All Poland needs is a tie against Argentina to win their group, as far as I can tell.

If the US were able to get past the Dutch, they could have a very winnable game in the quarterfinals.
A draw for Poland could leave them second to Saudi Arabia if the Saudis can beat El Tri (I would not put that past them, at all, based on form to date). Both Poland and Argentina will be fighting like hell to win the game as the prize for second place is a matchup with France and Mmmbop in the round of 16, with England lurking in the QF.

Poland-Argentina draw and a Saudi win would be a dream result for the US. At the beginning of the tournament, if you could draw Netherlands followed by the winner of Saudi Arabia-Denmark for a WC semifinal appearance, you would take that every day and twice on Sunday.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Artorias said:

How do we match up against Netherlands?
I'll leave a detailed breakdown for people who follow the game more closely than I do, but realistically, they're a 2:1 favorite.

A win, however, is far from out of the question. Their qualifying group was not composed of world-beaters (inc. Latvia, Montenegro, and Gibraltar, in addition to 2nd place Turkey and 3rd place Norway). This is not a great Netherlands squad by their standards-they would not have been a projected group winner had they not had the good fortune of drawing Qatar.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PJYoung
AG
bullard21k
AG
I would assume they're a ball control offense similar to lots of European squads?

Control possession and calculated attacks/pick their spots?
Pahdz
My Saturday schedule just got complicated now
Idiot Savant
AG

Quote:

At the beginning of the tournament, if you could draw Netherlands followed by the winner of Saudi Arabia-Denmark for a WC semifinal appearance, you would take that every day and twice on Sunday.

Even better, maybe a quarterfinal matchup vs the winner of Saudi Arabia-Australia??? Bonkers.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
So we have our first, uh, "Asian" side through to the knockout stages.

I know it isn't going to happen, but I wish FIFA would force Australia out of AFC and back to OFC. As things stands, New Zealand is essentially getting a bye to the World Cup. A second OFC team will be getting the pleasure of playing in the inter-confederation playoffs. Watching the Solomon Islands play, say, Bolivia or Nigeria, should be "something".
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Or just fold OFC into AFC altogether.

Could you imagine watching the group stage match of Vanuatu v. Germany in 2026? Will fifa have to start a mercy rule? Or limit GD to a maximum of 5 or 10?
YokelRidesAgain
AG
ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

Or just fold OFC into AFC altogether.
In a perfect world, I would like to see that (not to mention folding CONCACAF into CONMEBOL). It won't happen because the tiny federations of Oceania struggle (at best) to send competitive sides on plane flights within the region. If the Cook Islands had to face getting drawn into a group with Jordan, Nepal, and North Korea, the travel costs alone would probably be impossible.

You could argue that the participation of these sides is irrelevant to the qualifying process (which, of course, it is), but FIFA generally doesn't operate that way.
StinkyPinky
AG
It would have been a sad day if we didn't advance and watch the Aussies go on to the 16. Product of getting the weakest draw including qualifiers. Good for them, but feels inequitable relative to the caliber of some teams not advancing.
TXAggie2011
AG
YokelRidesAgain said:

So we have our first, uh, "Asian" side through to the knockout stages.

I know it isn't going to happen, but I wish FIFA would force Australia out of AFC and back to OFC. As things stands, New Zealand is essentially getting a bye to the World Cup. A second OFC team will be getting the pleasure of playing in the inter-confederation playoffs. Watching the Solomon Islands play, say, Bolivia or Nigeria, should be "something".

I think the problem is the expansion to 48 teams, which is messing up a perfect format, not that the OFC champion has been getting a spot in the playoffs. (This is, of course, the 3rd straight WC without an OFC team.)
bagger05
AG
Six teams from outside UEFA and CONMEBOL advancing to the round of 16. Most ever.

This has been a fantastic tournament so far.
Out in Left Field
AG
The bracket is set!
dallasiteinsa02
No 3-0 teams.
wangus12
AG
USA, England, Netherlands, Morocco, and Croatia that didn't lose in the group stage
wessimo
AG
Go Socceroos!
gambochaman
AG
The field looks like crap
gambochaman
AG
Golazo for Messi
chjoak
AG
Now that US is out, I would kind of like to see Argentina vs Portugal in the final. Unlikely but would be a fun game.
BIMS O1
AG
That chance came out of nowhere. US had many more good chances today and couldn't put enough in. Amazing how the truly great finishers make it looks so easy.
TRM
AG
Horrible mistake by the Aussie goalie.
TRM
AG
Nice run by Aus. Almost got the equalizer.
TXAggie2011
AG
Soccer-Roos keeping it interesting. Argentina has looked mostly comfortable but Aussies keep poking 'em. Real damn shame about that mistake by Ryan…
StinkyPinky
AG
TRM said:

Horrible mistake by the Aussie goalie.

Shockingly bad. That will come back to haunt
StinkyPinky
AG
As a surrogate Aussie "good on ya boys!" You played like you should have been there. Cheers!
dallasiteinsa02
Nm
StinkyPinky
AG
Wow, thought he had that!
Out in Left Field
AG
So close
bagger05
AG
Wow what a save
TXAggie2011
AG
Dang. So close

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.