*****2022 FIFA World Cup Knockout Stage - Round of 16 Thread*****

19,173 Views | 474 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by La Bamba
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Apparently Portugal is benching Ronaldo for today's game.
GoAgs92
AG
See what happens when the defense doesn't let people run around unchecked, you give yourselves a chance to win it in PKs.

When that first kick clanged the post everyone else tightened up and the pain in spain falls mainly south of Bahrain.

wangus12
AG
Agreed. Don't look at the keeper. Pick you spot. Put it there with conviction. Don't play mind games.
oh no
AG
they probably want a forward who tracks back and defends every once in a while.
La Bamba
AG
jeffk said:

I think they're better without him. He is good at penalties and doesn't *****foot around with those. I guess penalties can be important, eh?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
I'll echo others on this thread. Enough of the cheeky penalties. Walk to the spot with a plan and hammer it home with power and conviction. Goalkeeper shouldn't even be a factor.
planoaggie123
AG
jeffk said:

He is clearly pissing off every manager / team he plays with....shame to see his great career wind down with him behaving like a 4 year old....
wangus12
AG
jeffk said:

The one thing he's done is distract defenders. He still has an aura about him that draws in the defense. Other than that, he's been fairly useless so far.
La Bamba
AG
Also what's with bringing Sarabia at like the 118 minute mark for Nico Williams if it isn't for his penalty taking skills. He goes first and starts the ****show for Spain.
OregonAggie
AG
Morrocco advances…

I didn't know Scott Sterling was Moroccan!
WolfCall
AG
tylercsbn9 said:

night night spain
Glad to bid Adios to Possession Football.
TXAggie2011
AG
planoaggie123 said:

jeffk said:

He is clearly pissing off every manager / team he plays with....shame to see his great career wind down with him behaving like a 4 year old....

Did you not see this coming?
oh no
AG
Sarabia missed a huge chance at end of extra time and posted the first PK

surprised Morata and Olmo weren't pen takers for Spain.
Thunder18
AG
La Bamba said:

Also what's with bringing Sarabia at like the 118 minute mark for Nico Williams if it isn't for his penalty taking skills. He goes first and starts the ****show for Spain.

To be fair, Sarabia hit his with pace, he was just not accurate
Dre_00
Thought this summed up CR7 quite well

Maybe....maaaaaaybe, now, finally, people will start to realize that he is the problem and the only part of the problem. Though I'm sure his former teammates and Piers will continuously defend him,
wangus12
AG
Dre_00 said:

Maybe....maaaaaaybe, now, finally, people will start to realize that he is the problem and the only part of the problem. Though I'm sure his former teammates and Piers will continuously defend him,
Effing Piers.
oh no
AG
Piers issa asshoe
PatAg
AG
jeffk said:

La Bamba said:

I'm just confused, for as good as Busquets is in various parts of his game, attacking ain't it. He's really one of the best 5 Luis Enrique had on the pitch?

A lot of my best pk-takers when I was coaching weren't necessarily forwards. Mentality is huge.
and as you go up levels of play, your defenders and midfielders often have great technique. Its almost more like hitting a great pass vs a shot you mght take in the run of play (at least thats how I viewed it)
MB19
AG
WolfCall said:

tylercsbn9 said:

night night spain
Glad to bid Adios to Possession Football.
How about shooting at the freaking goal Spain?! It's allowed from 35 yards in.

This is the 2nd World Cup in a row where they are frankly missing a predatory striker. That game from Costa Rica was a mirage in retrospect.
oh no
AG
my son has always been the pen-taker on his teams even though he's played mostly 6 and 3 growing up.

I think you expect a forward to make the runs and be able to score any which way they can with all surfaces. Meanwhile, taking a pen on a 24' wide goal from 12 yds out is a skill that all 11 on the pitch have and you have to test them to see who is best at it.
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
I understand why they would want to bring on Ronaldo as a sub, but why are Leao and Cancelo not starting? Are either or both of them injured?
bagger05
AG
Just got done watching. Same thing as Spain vs Russia last year. You win by scoring goals not by simply possessing the ball.

They need a striker.
LB12Diamond
AG
Here come those big bad Swiss dudes.

Per math guy anyway.
deadbq03
AG
Dre_00 said:

Portuguese fans are coming around…
oh no
AG
xhaka is such a utility player. he can do it all

jeffk
AG
PatAg said:

jeffk said:

La Bamba said:

I'm just confused, for as good as Busquets is in various parts of his game, attacking ain't it. He's really one of the best 5 Luis Enrique had on the pitch?

A lot of my best pk-takers when I was coaching weren't necessarily forwards. Mentality is huge.
and as you go up levels of play, your defenders and midfielders often have great technique. Its almost more like hitting a great pass vs a shot you mght take in the run of play (at least thats how I viewed it)

We may have had this conversation before, I can't remember. But in my coaching education, I've attended a couple of conference talks and workshops on coaching set pieces including penalty kicks. We worked on PKs weekly in practice and I required each player to have two "plans" that they felt comfortable executing under pressure. They'd drill those two kicks over and again until the could do it in their sleep. In HS and younger, that's really all you need. Keepers aren't going to save a shot at the post even if they guess correctly. And for the most part no one has film on your players taking kicks so their not really scouting you there.

We'd always have kids want to read the keeper and kick where they weren't, but at that level it's just simpler to have a plan and execute it and make the keeper make a great save.
Dre_00
Saudi Arabia may be the only country left in the world that rates him
Rudyjax
AG
At the youth level keepers are typically good at it too. They practice it more as they're shooting on other keepers in keeper training.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, they were hit or miss (pun intended). I had a couple who were great at it and others who'd blast it over 90% of the time.
jeffk
AG
Dre_00 said:

Saudi Arabia may be the only country left in the world that rates him

You can't sportswash unless you move the wealth around. This move just expedites the process.
wangus12
AG
Damn. C'mon Swiss. Gotta be better than that
oh no
AG
wow... CR7's replacement?
deadbq03
AG
What a shot!
Out in Left Field
AG
Holy crap! What a rocket! Unbelievable placement
oh no
AG
i want the swiss, but goalazo! holy shinto.

should have been a foul on portugal instead of a portugal throw-in, and they make em pay with a banger like that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.