***** USMNT vs Iran WC Game Thread (11/29) *****

66,268 Views | 1367 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Rudyjax
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
KCup17 said:

Definitely not the worst player but early on he was struggling. Delivered in a big moment though.
He missed that nutmeg and early goal by half an inch.
Legal Custodian
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

I bet it won't end in a draw. Unless betting in tournament soccer is different and it just means it'll go to ET.
wangus12
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

wangus12 said:

aggiephoenix02 said:

RealTalk said:

MookieBlaylock said:

holland are a very good matchup for US- they are old and slow - really favorable bracket if we continue to improve
I thought that Belgium was old and slow? At least that's what DeBruyne and Hazard said.
They we're, we **** the bed…
They were not old and slow in 2014. They were probably just hitting their peak then.
If the peak of their golden generation was beating us in the round of 16 I can accept that…
I said just hitting their peak. They needed the WC to be in 2016 really. They made the semi's in 2018.
Legal Custodian
AG
BAP Enthusiast said:

OneBlitzer said:

Iconic goal!

That goal is now tied with Donovan's for an all timer for the US team.
Respectfully disagree. This didn't have near the drama of a stoppage time goal to send us through. While great it won't be as memorable.
dallasiteinsa02
Legal Custodian said:

Agthatbuilds said:

I bet it won't end in a draw. Unless betting in tournament soccer is different and it just means it'll go to ET.
Depends on the sports book. Some pay out a draw at the end of regulation. Some payout at the end of extra periods. Some don't even take draw bets in knockout.
Legal Custodian
AG
wangus12 said:

aggiephoenix02 said:

wangus12 said:

aggiephoenix02 said:

RealTalk said:

MookieBlaylock said:

holland are a very good matchup for US- they are old and slow - really favorable bracket if we continue to improve
I thought that Belgium was old and slow? At least that's what DeBruyne and Hazard said.
They we're, we **** the bed…
They were not old and slow in 2014. They were probably just hitting their peak then.
If the peak of their golden generation was beating us in the round of 16 I can accept that…
I said just hitting their peak. They needed the WC to be in 2016 really. They made the semi's in 2018.
Having Belgium players playing FIFA 16 & 17 was a slam dunk. So much talent and what we've been compared to most with this generation.
JJxvi
AG
If Pulisic is out. I'd be pretty tempted to start in a 3-4-3 in order to push Robinson and Dest even higher up the field in the rest of this tournament, especially until a centerback gets a suspension.
Rudyjax
AG
This sums up a lot of my thoughts....

KCup17
AG
Which is exactly my gripe. He should have played Sargent who was wide open to his right.
Rudyjax
AG
KCup17 said:

Which is exactly my gripe. He should have played Sargent who was wide open to his right.
I agree... but he did 90% good and 10% bad.

And this happens routinely ever game in soccer.

And what you feel about a player it how you respond to their mistakes.

And I had to stop reading this thread because of all the negativity.
themissinglink
AG
agdad4x
I am at work so I googled you tube trying to find the game and found what I thought was it - it was an animated version of the game that had the players running around just like the real thing - the US got behind 1-0 but came back to win 4-1 !!!!

Imagine my confusion when I came here, and not wanting to go thru the entire thread I started about 2/3 of the way through it -I could not believe the comments !!!! Everyone was on pins and needles and I was thinking: Come on guys, we won going away!!

Finally went to You Tube and found actual highlights of the game - Surprise, surprise, surprise!!
pretty pissed that I wasted 2 hours watching a cartoon version of some make up soccer match -

But Hey, at least USA won the real game - can't imagine my mood had it gone the other way with me thinking we won big.

BTHO the Dutch !!!!
snowdog90
Overall, wow! Awesome game! I don't know how people can be negative about the results at all. First time ever to not lose a game at the group level. The Wales draw doesn't matter now, 2nd in group was destined.

USA has turned heads at this tourney. Before the tourney, Iran and Wales were probably happy to face us. Look at them now. We dominated both those teams, especially when the score was 0-0, and we played at least even with England.

USA lacks depth, sure, but this team has succeeded massively. 1 goal allowed in 3 games - unheard of in past cups. Argentina, arguably a top-3 team coming in, basically face the same situation as we did today. I guarantee they would be ecstatic with a 1-0 win tomorrow.

As for Reyna... He is a great player, but the players who played instead of him got the result we wanted. It's not about him, it's about Team USA. That being said, if Pulisic can't go, Reyna is the perfect replacement. He is the closest comparison to Pulisic that we have. He needs to be a team guy, realize that it's not personal, and be ready to shine when his number is called. And I really think his number will be called vs. Holland.

Go go USA!!!
oh no
AG
wasted 2 hours watching a cartoon version?
zgolfz85
AG
JJxvi said:

Reyna should have been on the field for the last 25-30 minutes. The US needed a player who would be able to receive the ball and if necessary force them to foul. That 5-4-1 with all those players was suicidal, nobody on the pitch was a player who would be able to hold up the ball high on the pitch. Pulisic doesn't give you much when you think about defense, but he is immeasurably valuable when the US do have a late lead, IMO.
totally agree....really my only major beef with ggg thus far. ggg has been frustrating at times in managing, but not near to the point I thought he would pre-tourney.

Reyna just seems like the obvious spark and just as confusing to me as England not going to Foden in the first 2 games.

I still want to see Christian and Gio on the field together for at least 15 mins or so.
Legal Custodian
AG
agdad4x said:

I am at work so I googled you tube trying to find the game and found what I thought was it - it was an animated version of the game that had the players running around just like the real thing - the US got behind 1-0 but came back to win 4-1 !!!!

Imagine my confusion when I came here, and not wanting to go thru the entire thread I started about 2/3 of the way through it -I could not believe the comments !!!! Everyone was on pins and needles and I was thinking: Come on guys, we won going away!!

Finally went to You Tube and found actual highlights of the game - Surprise, surprise, surprise!!
pretty pissed that I wasted 2 hours watching a cartoon version of some make up soccer match -

But Hey, at least USA won the real game - can't imagine my mood had it gone the other way with me thinking we won big.

BTHO the Dutch !!!!

I don't really know how to respond to this...
BAP Enthusiast
aggiephoenix02 said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

OneBlitzer said:

Iconic goal!

Whatever…

WHICH iconic World Cup goal by Donovan are you referring too?!?

The one that sent us out of the group stage in added time.
Rudyjax
AG
agdad4x said:

BTHO the Dutch !!!!

Tell me you're dumb without telling me you're done.

Lol. Sorry. You can't stream on your phone?
BAP Enthusiast
Legal Custodian said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

OneBlitzer said:

Iconic goal!

Respectfully disagree. This didn't have near the drama of a stoppage time goal to send us through. While great it won't be as memorable.

The injury on the goal adds to it though. Laying it all on the line and then being unable to return means a hell of a lot.
BAP Enthusiast
agdad4x said:

BTHO the Dutch !!!!

Legal Custodian
AG
agdad4x said:

BTHO the Dutch !!!!

Can you post a link to the video? I'm curious what this video is
Rudyjax
AG
TXAggie2011
AG
Munsah was really lively, great to see. Thought he caused Iran lots of trouble the first half. Might be my Man of the Match.

Enjoyed watching Robinson playing essentially as a winger the first half, really stretched Iran down that right side. That was a really positive approach. Dest and McKinnie took awhile to get into the game but once engaged caused problems.

Sargent did fine when he had opportunities but I just don't think it matters who is our #9. We just don't find ways to involve them.

CCV had some good moments.

All in all, a lot of good to take away from that outside the obvious great result.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Would have been a hell of a lot less stressful if the Weah goal didn't get brought back for offside.
oh no
AG
certainly not worried about CCV entering any match going forward.
JJxvi
AG
Presumably there's no Budwieser Man of the Match because the only player on the US team according to FIFA was at the hospital and not around to get his picture taken with a cup made out of budwieser can bottles. Today's Texags' Man of the Match, sponsored by **** FIFA, is Christian Pulisic! We can just give the actual trophy to Adams again though to keep track of with all his other ones.
TXAggie2011
AG
Oh, and Adams was pretty good but that wasn't his most impactful game
La Bamba
AG
oh no
AG
oh no
AG
zgolfz85
AG
I like Robinson, but does he have to make a good run every time only to put a little too much on it with the final touch and just hand it right over to a defenseman every friggin time? Like just once have a touch of finesse on that last touch and at least send in a hail mary-like cross...
Rudyjax
AG
zgolfz85 said:

I like Robinson, but does he have to make a good run every time only to put a little too much on it with the final touch and just hand it right over to a defenseman every friggin time? Like just once have a touch of finesse on that last touch and at least send in a hail mary-like cross...

Yeah. That happened every single time. Every.
JJxvi
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Agree with that. I'm not sure there's another level possible to his performances vs England and Wales besides also like scoring a goal somehow too.

I'm not sure any US player has ever played better over three games in a big tournament than Tyler Adams has. IMO, he should seriously be a candidate for a Gold/Silver/Bronze ball award watch through the games we've seen so far.
TheMasterplan
JJxvi said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Agree with that. I'm not sure there's another level possible to his performances vs England and Wales besides also like scoring a goal somehow too.

I'm not sure any US player has ever played better over three games in a big tournament than Tyler Adams has. IMO, he should seriously be a candidate for a Gold/Silver/Bronze ball award watch through the games we've seen so far.
Him going down on both his knees was so relatable.
stick95
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

zgolfz85 said:

Yeah. That happened every single time. Every.

It certainly happened a lot. IMO, this was his worst game this WC. His possession was pretty loose, and his touches were heavy. I am not saying that that he is a bad player... but we need him to play better than he did today.
Try and make something idiot proof, and all they do is make a better idiot.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.