General EPL Discussion/Housery Thread

203,102 Views | 2758 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Showstopper
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well IF it is proven, I guess you got us on a silly "technicality".
7nine
Texaggie7nine
And the FFP is more unfair than no rules because it not only sets in concrete the winners, but it also removes any real ability of smaller teams from being able to grow rapidly through influx of investment, unless the new owners are movie and TV stars that make a TV show about it and up the revenue by insane amounts so that they can spend more on players.
7nine
jeffk
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Yet to be proven in court. Plus the VAST majority of their winning and trophies were after the period that they are accused of cooking the books. If they were outspending other teams then I can see a valid complaint. Even during the time period of the accusations, they weren't grossly outspending other big teams.

So, overall the argument is. "They spent more than they should be allowed to, even though other bigger teams SHOULD be allowed to spend that much money."

It's a reach.

Lol. "Maybe we were cooking the books but we spent an appropriate amount!"

The whole point of cooking the books is that you get to hide what you are spending… which is the lions share of those 115 charges that haven't been resolved yet.

And you'd have been hammered by UEFA too if they didn't have some insanely short statute of limitations.
Dre_00
There may be a worse collection of analogies somewhere in this hell hole we call the internet but I have yet to see it.
deadbq03
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

And the FFP is more unfair than no rules because it not only sets in concrete the winners, but it also removes any real ability of smaller teams from being able to grow rapidly through influx of investment, unless the new owners are movie and TV stars that make a TV show about it and up the revenue by insane amounts so that they can spend more on players.
Yes that's literally the point. You make things "unfair" so it's more sporting.
jeffk
AG
Brighton about to hire a coach born in Houston.
YNWA.2013
Would be the youngest manager in PL history, right? I think he'd be the first top flight manager in England born after 1990.
jeffk
AG
As far as I know, yeah.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Thr Athletic's analysis of each teams opening 5 games based on where their opponents finished last season. Doesn't take into account H/A.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5572100/2024/06/18/premier-league-toughest-start-2024-25/?source=user_shared_article Which Premier League team has the toughest start to the 2024-25 season?
ChipFTAC01
AG
Lower number means a harder start. West Ham = hardest, LFC = easiest
wangus12
AG
They should definitely take Home and Away into account. Arsenal have a tough start with away games at Villa, City and Tottenham in their first 5 matches.
OregonAggie
AG
I'd like to just be middle of the road. West ham may start super slow and that'll add pressure. LFC will likely start fast but then the back half of the season is jammed!

Thanks for posting
Dre_00
West Ham doesn't have a game outside of London until November.
Dre_00
Season is too close to starting for this to be on page 2.

Anxiously looking forward to what remains of my cautious Man United optimism to be completely eradicated by September 1st! WOO!
Dre_00
Man the absurdity of these PSR rules and how Chelsea tries to leverage them is bordering on the absurd now. Conor Gallagher agrees to move to Atletico Madrid who agrees to send Samu Omordion the other way (not a sway because they have to maximize the PSR system by sending same/similar amounts of money for the two). Atletico also wants to sign Julian Alvarez from City. Omordion bails last minute due to the contract terms. Chelsea and Atletico start to panic because Atleti can't afford Alvarez/Gallagher without selling someone and Boehly wants that sweet "pure profit" that comes from selling Gallagher so he can continue selling every homegrown Chelsea player and continue adding "value" to his Chelsea Football Club Hedge Fund.

So now we're left with Atletico offering Joao Felix, who presumably Chelsea aren't terribly interested in but they don't really care because they want to get Gallagher's "pure profit" added to their ledger line. Craziness.
deadbq03
AG
jeffk
AG
Haha. Amazing.
Furlock Bones
AG
watched the first half of the Sheffield Wednesday v Rooney led Plymouth on Sunday. Plymouth looked terrible.

i missed the 2nd half, but the flood gates finally opened up. 4-0. i heard a commentator say on Friday Rooney is in a dangerous position. if he fails at Plymouth, his days as a manager are probably over.
Showstopper
AG
I have a feeling Rooney may be close to being a permanent pundit.
Furlock Bones
AG
Top of the table!

Glory Glory Man United!
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Glory hole united?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

Glory Glory hole united?
YNWA.2013
Top of the table!

YNWA
Furlock Bones
AG

Luton keeper got sent off in the 31st minute for this amazing sequence. Amazingly the match ended 0-0.
Showstopper
AG
Happy Meals for everyone at McDonalds FC.
YNWA.2013
I'm more concerned that you follow Alexi Lalas.
Furlock Bones
AG
Cool
jeffk
AG
Hurtz era at BHA off to a good start.
wangus12
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Luton keeper got sent off in the 31st minute for this amazing sequence. Amazingly the match ended 0-0.
God I love the Championship
Furlock Bones
AG
WTF.

And the same guy did this earlier in the game.

League has to step in here and give this guy a match ban or 2. Can't believe VAR didn't send this dude off.
wangus12
AG
What if I told you that Jesus got a yellow for his retaliation, but Mosquera didn't get a card for his retaliation and choke of Havertz
Furlock Bones
AG
That's what I heard. Utterly absurd with replay at hand.
KCup17
AG
Finger popping bung holes should be an auto red…

Saw some really weird ref decisions today throughout the league.
Furlock Bones
AG
Chelski didn't just hire a Pep assistant. They went with a Pep clone.

Feel like I didn't really pay attention to what Enzo looked like until they just showed him walking into the stadium. And I was like Pep looks weird. Wait that's not Pep.
Project Gemini
AG
Those Chelsea blue kits are sick

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.