*****Official 2021-2022 EPL Relegation Battle*****

16,935 Views | 339 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by KCup17
ChipFTAC01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bourne mouth-Forest game tomorrow at 2. Basically decides 2nd place an auto promotion.
oh no
AG
I really want Jesse Marsch and Leeds to stay in the premiership, but schedule seems to favor Everton and Burnley.
deadbq03
AG
The stunning part is Burnley's form right now after what seemed like an ill-conceived sacking of their manager… 10 pts in 4 games since then. Leeds seemed safe 3 weeks ago because Burnley seemed sure to go down.
Aston94
AG
oh no said:

I really want Jesse Marsch and Leeds to stay in the premiership, but schedule seems to favor Everton and Burnley.
Leeds had claimed points from 5 in a row prior to Man City game, so they are in good form, but Burnley is as well. If I were wagering I would bet Everton are the relegated team. They were beyond lucky to get three points yesterday, I just don't see much cohesiveness there.
KCup17
AG
It may come down to the final day.

Newcastle v. Burnley.
Everton v. Arsenal.
Leeds v. Brentford.

What a day that could be! Arsenal playing for a top 4 spot vs an Everton team playing for Premier league survival.
oh no
AG
That would be a story. I think I saw the other day that Everton has been in the top flight for over 60 years and has never been relegated from it before!?!?

I like to see teams promoted that haven't been in the premiership before (or haven't in a long time) and don't like it when one of them goes up for just one year or two then back down, but a blue blood dropping down would be interesting and fun for a change.
KCup17
AG
Which proper blue blood or big 6 club do you think will be the first to be relegated?
oh no
AG
Well everton is not a big 6 but they're a long time mainstay in the EPL and in serious danger right now, which I think is good for the sport and fans of pro/rel systems.

Of the big six, none in danger. I do wonder, even though they are loaded with good players right now, it will be interesting if Chelsea can get sold and get restrictions removed before they lose a lot more players and coach. How big of a hit could they be looking at for next year? Drop to bottom half or bottom third of the table?
KCup17
AG
I'm talking theoretically of course. The only way one of the Big 6 would get relegated would be due to financial mismanagement.
dcaggie04
AG
oh no said:

That would be a story. I think I saw the other day that Everton has been in the top flight for over 60 years and has never been relegated from it before!?!?

I like to see teams promoted that haven't been in the premiership before (or haven't in a long time) and don't like it when one of them goes up for just one year or two then back down, but a blue blood dropping down would be interesting and fun for a change.

Everton was regulated to Second division in 1930, then came back to First Division for the 31-32 season. They were regulated a second time after the 50-51 season and stayed in Second Division until the 54-55 season when they were promoted back to First Division and have been in First Division/EPL ever since.
ChipFTAC01
AG
It's very conceivable that Liverpool could have been relegated in 2011 is FSG hadn't taken over and Kenny turned things around.
heddleston
AG
I believe only Arsenal has a longer 1st division streak, which is over 100 years at this point.
Aston94
AG
Big game in the Championship today: Bournemouth v. Nottingham Forest. If Bournemouth wins they clinch 2nd place and promotion. If Forest wins they take over second place on goal differential heading into final games this weekend.
oh no
AG
Bournemouth is in
ChipFTAC01
AG
I land at Heathrow about 4 hours before the Championship playoffs final. Gonna try and go if I can get tickets, especially if Forest is playing.
KCup17
AG
Thats amazing. I have always wanted to make it out to a championship game. I can imagine the playoffs are intense!
Furlock Bones
AG
If the results hold right now, Luton Town is into the playoffs.
Furlock Bones
AG
Burnley v Villa today.

Tomorrow
Leicester v Everton
Arsenal v Leeds

Huge weekend. Leeds have the toughest test for the 2nd week in a row.
Out in Left Field
AG
Burnley already down 0-2
ChipFTAC01
AG
Bourne mouth goal to beat Forest mid week

http://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/4657204

Today Forest scored 90+2 penalty to beat Hull and then Hull came back and tied it at 90+4
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Watford officially down.
heddleston
AG
Bristol Rovers managed to win 7-0 to jump a 5 GD deficit and secure the 3rd autobid into League One. The fans lost their dang minds when they hit 7-0 (as they should) that there were 19 minutes of injury time at the end!
ChipFTAC01
AG
heddleston said:

Bristol Rovers managed to win 7-0 to jump a 5 GD deficit and secure the 3rd autobid into League One. The fans lost their dang minds when they hit 7-0 (as they should) that there were 19 minutes of injury time at the end!

Holy ****
heddleston
AG
Yeah it helps when you play Scun(t)horpe the last week, theyre sadly out of league football now. i remember when they got relegated from the Championship a decade or so ago and just continued on a sad slow slide down.
Mathguy64
AG
If Everton stays up it will be because Pickford has been standing on his head. He's playing out of his mind right now.
oh no
AG
Leeds down and playing man-down. Everton winning.
KCup17
AG
As it stands Everton are safe and Leeds are down.
jeffk
AG
Boo
Aston94
AG
Weekend Results:
Aston Villa 3-1 Burnley. Villa eased to a 3-1 win at Turf Moor, damaging Burnley's hopes of staying in the Premier League. Danny Ings scored first after only seven minutes and Emiliano Buendia doubled the lead in the 31st minute. Ollie Watkins added a third with a diving header shortly after the halftime break. Maxwel Cornet scored a consolation goal in stoppage time for Burnley, but was way too little way too late. The Clarets drop to 17th on 34 points, above Leeds United only on goal difference.

Crystal Palace 1-0 Watford. Watford were officially relegated with the loss to Palace.

Arsenal 2-1 Leeds. Eddie Nketiah scored twice as Arsenal beat 10-man Leeds United 2-1, placing Leeds in the bottom three. Nketiah opened the scoring in the 5th minute and then converted on a Gabriel Martinelli cutback five minutes later. Luke Ayling was shown straight red on a challenge on Martinelli in the 27th minute to make a Leeds comeback very difficult, but Diego Llorente finished on a corner at the back post to give Leeds hope with 24 minutes to play, but the Whites could not find a second. Leeds drop to 18th, level on points with Burnley in 17th, and one point behind 16th-placed Everton.

Everton 2-1 Leicester. Everton moved out of the bottom three as they held on to defeat Leicester City 2-1 at the King Power Stadium to claim their first away win under Frank Lampard. Vitalii Mykolenko scored on a beautiful left-footed volley in the 6th minute and Mason Holgate netted a header from close range to give the Toffees only their second victory on the road this season. Patson Daka scored in the 11th minute for the Foxes, leveling the game before Holgate's 30th minute goal. Leicester had multiple chances to find another goal but Jordan Pickford was again Everton's savior, producing superb saves to deny Nampalys Mendy and then Harvey Barnes twice. Everton move up to 16th on 35 points, one ahead of both Burnley and Leeds, with a match in hand.

Current Relegation Standings:
Team GP Points +/-
16. Everton 34 35 (-19)
17. Burnley 35 34 (-17)
18. Leeds 35 34 (-35)
19. Watford 35 22
20. Norwich 35 21

So 3 matches remaining for Burnley and Leeds, and 4 for Everton. Looks like it will come down to the last day for the relegation battle! Looking at the 3 clubs, I make Burnley the most likely club to drop, but should be really exciting down the stretch.
akm91
AG
Quote:

So 3 matches remaining for Burnley and Leeds, and 4 for Everton. Looks like it will come down to the last day for the relegation battle! Looking at the 3 clubs, I make Burnley the most likely club to drop, but should be really exciting down the stretch.
Burnley's last 3 are:
  • vs. Spurs
  • vs. Villa
  • @ Newcastle

Everton's (+1) last 4 are
  • @ Watford
  • vs Brentford
  • vs Crystal Palace
  • @ Arsenal

Leeds last 3 are:
  • vs. Chelsea
  • vs. Brighton
  • @ Brentford

Going to be very tight between Burnley and Leeds as their remaining matches are pretty similiar in difficulty. Based on the standings, Leeds has tougher remaining matches.

Looks like Everton managed to stave off relegation with their recent string of results.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Aston94
AG
For sure it looks like a Burnley-Leeds battle to the last day. Their two remaining schedules are very similar.
oh no
AG
As an American soccer fan, I want Leeds to stay. What do you guys think? Will Leeds remain committed to Jesse Marsch even if they're relegated? Will they give him the pieces he needs to get back up in a year? Assuming both lose their last last three matches, if Leeds edges out Burnley on GD at the end, will they go get some big pieces so Marsch can work towards middle of the table and staying in the EPL a lot longer and not find themselves in the relegation battle again next year?
akm91
AG
Quote:

Assuming both lose their last last three matches, if Leeds edges out Burnley on GD at the end,
Highly unlikely scenario as Leeds were shipping goals left and right under Bielsa. Leeds is @ -35 GD and Burnley's @ -17.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
oh no
AG
holy ****e. I didn't look. since they're level on points, i didn't think the GD was that far off and assumed it might be close.. so I want Burnley to lose out (very possible if not probable) and Leeds to get a point somewhere in that tough schedule. hell, maybe they get a point vs Chelsea the way they're playing lately!
oh no
AG
assuming Brentford and Newcastle aren't playing for anything but pride on the final match day, and Leeds and Burnley both fighting their tails off on that day, it could get really interesting and exciting.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.