*****Official 2021-2022 EPL Relegation Battle*****

16,972 Views | 339 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by KCup17
KCup17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It put Marsh and Leeds in a poor position when Dan James made an idiotic challenge and got sent off for it. Stuff like that is when it is hard to put blame on a coach for a loss like that. I hope they don't axe him at the end of the season but who knows They have a real shot at staying up if they can snag points in one of their last couple games. I think Everton are safe now. It's down to Leeds or Burnley IMO.
wangus12
AG
It was the same in the Arsenal match. There was no reason for Ayling to make the challenge that he did on Martinelli, but he did it anyways.
akm91
AG
I think Spurs and Villa will beat Burnley as Burnley are away at those two matches. Think Burnley will beat Newcastle at home.

I think Leeds will need to beat Brighton at home and get a result on the road at Brentford.
KCup17
AG
So then the question becomes does the aggressiveness in these challenges reflect on the coaching or is it the player?
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
KCup17 said:

So then the question becomes does the aggressiveness in these challenges reflect on the coaching or is it the player?
I believe Leeds has the most yellow cards in the league this year.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
deadbq03
AG
KCup17 said:

Maybe it's some of both… most of the players aren't premier league caliber, but they're being asked to play a high-intensity pressing style against guys who are way better than them.
akm91
AG
Leeds has 97 so far this season, 18 more than 2nd place team and was #4 last season as well. Leeds is also tied for #2 in red cards this season (3).

Yellow Cards in EPL

oh no
AG
KCup17 said:

Coach has only been there a few months. I hope these back to back dangerous foul red cards aren't attributed to how Marsch is coaching these professional soccer players who have been playing their whole lives.
Mathguy64
AG
Meh. If idiotic and continued red cards were a sign of a bad manager Artera would have been sacked a while back.
akm91
AG
deadbq03 said:

KCup17 said:

Maybe it's some of both… most of the players aren't premier league caliber, but they're being asked to play a high-intensity pressing style against guys who are way better than them.
Maybe there is some truth to that. Last season Leeds had 1 red card. Under Marsch, Leeds have accumulated at least 2 red cards.
akm91
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Meh. If idiotic and continued red cards were a sign of a bad manager Artera would have been sacked a while back.
Well Arsenal has fewer red cards so far this season than last season so there is progress!
KCup17
AG
Well the point I am making is under Marsch's direction they are playing at a higher intensity and trying to win the ball back higher up the field which would result in more reckless challenges. i.e. Marsch would get blamed for the system. Or it could be that or reckless challenges flying about because of thee players misunderstanding of Marsch's system. In the 2nd scenario it is the players who would take responsibility.
akm91
AG
Well crap, I stand corrected. Arsenal gets another red card today
ChipFTAC01
AG
1-1 draw in the Luton - Huddersfield semi yesterday. Forest is up 0-1 at Sheffield.
Furlock Bones
AG
Nottingham forest go up 1-nil on Sheffield in the playoff.
Out in Left Field
AG
Leeds equalize in the 92nd!
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Everton just need to come up with a win at home over Brentford and they're officially out of the weeds.
Mathguy64
AG
Professor Snape would be blushing at the amount of Dark Arts being utilized between Everton and Brentford.
Furlock Bones
AG
What a great game Everton. Lmao
Furlock Bones
AG
Please relegate Everton so we don't have to watch Richarlson dive his way through the epl.
Bryan98
AG
Everton desperately needing a win but instead getting 2 reds and a loss is something else.
KCup17
AG
Richarlison looks like a dang pigeon.
carl spacklers hat
Between the three of Burnley (34 points), Leeds (35 points) and Everton (36 points), who's going down? Everton still has Crystal Palace and @Arsenal, Burnley still has @Aston Villa and Newcastle and Leeds gets Brentford at Brentford.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
deadbq03
AG
I'm hoping for losses or draws from the Thursday matches. Will make for some glorious drama on Sunday.
oh no
AG
they could all lose out, but the number of Fs given by CP, Villa, and/or Brentford could be near zero so any of them could get some points. Burnley and Everton's matches on Thursday will tell us a lot.
akm91
AG
For Everton (36pts) and Burnley (34pts), they need to get to 38 points for safety. That's the max Leeds can get and with their abysmal GD, Leeds gets relegated in the case of a tie.

Unfortunately, Leeds looks to be going down to Championship next year.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
oh no
AG
I'm still hoping Burnley loses Thursday and Sunday, which keeps Leeds in the premiership even if they lose on Sunday, and hopefully gives Marsch a chance to get some of his players and show what he can do next year.
deadbq03
AG
oh no said:

they could all lose out, but the number of Fs given by CP, Villa, and/or Brentford could be near zero so any of them could get some points. Burnley and Everton's matches on Thursday will tell us a lot.
Always makes me wonder about collusion, bribery, etc when teams fighting for places at the top or bottom are playing teams who have nothing to play for.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
oh no said:

Brentford is having their best season in 3/4 of a century. They are playing for top half. I think that is going to be a tough one for Leeds.

Crystal Palace has had Everton's number home (FA cup) and away already this year. Don't see that changing. Arsenal is still in a fight for top 4 and may need points off of Everton on the last day to get them.

Villa are simply a good team and will be tough to beat away. Newcastle at home is the only one of these 5 matches where I see a relegation fighter having a chance at points.

I will guess 0 points total out of all 5 matches for 16-18.
oh no
AG
well, I'm kindof disregarding Everton right now as I think they're safe because there's a good chance Leeds can't beat Brentford and/or Burnley loses both of their matches. Further, obviously Everton isn't likely to beat Arsenal who will still be fighting, but if Pickford plays out of his mind like he has a few matches lately, they have a shot for a point or three vs CP, IMO.

It will come down to see if Burnley loses to Villa on Thursday. Then, if that happens, how many eyeballs will be on Burnley vs Newcastle? I agree, I don't think Leeds will have a great shot vs Brentford. ...they need Burnley to lose their final two... how much give a damn does Newcastle have on Sunday?

deadbq03
AG
And Newcastle will be on 6 days rest while Burnley will be on 3.

I bet we'll see a gutty draw from at least one of the games, but I agree that 0 pts is a reasonably high probability.
KCup17
AG
Newcastle looking like the side fighting for a Champions league spot instead of the other way around. Arsenal getting run ragged.
oh no
AG
still time for arsenal here.
oh no
AG
ok. Newcastle looking gooooood.
JJxvi
AG
Arsenal now needs a win over Everton for any hope at Champions league. But its so bad now that if Spurs are winning at the same time, they have no hope.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.