*****Official 2021-2022 EPL Relegation Battle*****

16,961 Views | 339 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by KCup17
dcaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Will Everton's 68 year stay in the top league be over?
jeffk
AG
I sure hope so.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
jeffk said:

I sure hope so.
go **** yourself.
jeffk
Aston94
AG
ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

jeffk said:

I sure hope so.
go **** yourself.
Furlock Bones
AG
Well now we are really in for it. Looks like we could have a nice little melt.
JJxvi
AG
Oldham Athletic just became the first "founding member" of the Premier League to be relegated down to the 5th level and out of the Football League.
Furlock Bones
AG
i heard that. crazy. on the flipside, Luton Town is in playoff position in the Championship with a shot at making the top division for the first time in their 137 yr history.
Aston94
AG
Things are getting really interesting at the bottom now, today's match is a very, very big one for Leeds.

Current Relegation Standings:
Team GP Points +/-
16. Leeds 32 33 (-30)
17. Burnley 33 31 (-16)
18. Everton 32 29 (-21)
19. Watford 32 22 (-36)
20. Norwich 32 21 (-47)

It is really now a 3 team race to avoid the last relegation spot, with Everton currently claiming the dreaded 18th position.

If you look at the remaining schedules of those three teams, you see where things get a bit tricky for Leeds:

Leeds: @Palace; v. Man City; @ Arsenal; v. Chelsea; v. Brighton; @ Brentford. Yikes. Even the "not as tough games" against Palace, Brighton and Brentford are against clubs playing well right now (Brentford are 5-1-1 in last 7; Brighton are 2-3-2 in last 7, with wins over Spurs and Arsenal; and Palace are 3-3-1 in their last 7). City, Arsenal and Chelsea will all still have something to play for, so no easy games there.

Burnley: @Watford; v. Villa; @Spurs; @Villa; v. Newcastle. Even though they have one less game, Burnley have a much easier run in, with really only a trip to Tottenham as a big concern. A lot will depend on which Aston Villa side Burnley see, as they have two matches against the Villans remaining. Villa looked great in a 3 win streak, but then followed it up with 4 straight bad losses, before drawing Leicester this weekend.

Everton: v. Chelsea; @Leicester; @Watford; v. Brentford; v. Palace; @ Arsenal. This is not an easy run in either. Burnley and Everton still have matches with Watford, so Watford still have to feel like they have a shot if they can claim wins in those two matches. If the Toffees don't claim points against Chelsea then there could be a lot of desperation at Goodison Park.

My predicted point finish for the 3:
Leeds: 6 pts for 39
Burnley: 8 points for 39
Everton: 8 points for 37

Remember that if teams are tied on points it goes to +/-, and Leeds are in trouble there.

So long and short of it, today is a very big game for Leeds as they need to continue to rack up points.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Furlock Bones said:

i heard that. crazy. on the flipside, Luton Town is in playoff position in the Championship with a shot at making the top division for the first time in their 137 yr history.

Luton has been in the top flight for 16 years. 5 years in the fifties, 74-75 and 82-92.
OregonAggie
AG
ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

jeffk said:

I sure hope so.
go **** yourself.

You should just find another team to support hahahaha

You Never Walk Alone
Furlock Bones
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Furlock Bones said:

Luton has been in the top flight for 16 years. 5 years in the fifties, 74-75 and 82-92.

Maybe they meant the actual premier league then. Because the GM was on talk sport yesterday talking about it. I must have misunderstood.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Furlock Bones said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

Furlock Bones said:

Maybe they meant the actual premier league then. Because the GM was on talk sport yesterday talking about it. I must have misunderstood.

oh no
AG
Jesse March and Leeds just played an exciting 0-0 draw to gain a point safer from relegation.
Aston94
AG
Big point for Leeds on the road at Palace.
deadbq03
AG
oh no said:

Jesse March and Leeds just played an exciting 0-0 draw to gain a point safer from relegation.
I only caught the second half… certainly seemed like Leeds faded down the stretch, perhaps due to having 16 days off. CP was pouring on pressure the last 15 mins… good for Leeds to be able to hang on and get a rare a clean sheet.
Aston94
AG
Team GP Points +/-
16. Leeds 33 34 (-30)
17. Burnley 33 31 (-16)
18. Everton 32 29 (-21)
19. Watford 32 22 (-36)
20. Norwich 32 21 (-47)

Aston94
AG
Probably a good time to do a run through all the divisions and see who is on track for promotion and relegation:

Premier League:

Team GP Points +/-
16. Leeds 33 34 (-30)
17. Burnley 33 31 (-16)
18. Everton 32 29 (-21)
19. Watford 32 22 (-36)
20. Norwich 32 21 (-47)

Championship:

Promotion/Playoff Standings (46 matches to be played):
Team GP Points
1. Fulham. 43 87
2. Bournemouth. 42 78
3. Huddersfield Town 44 76
4. Nottingham Forest 42 73
5. Luton Town 44 72
6. Sheffield United 44 69
7. Millwall. 44 66
8. Blackburn Rovers 44 66
9. Middlesbrough. 43 64

Top two auto qualify for EPI, teams 3-6 go into playoff for final promotion spot. Fulham have already secured first place and promotion. Bournemouth are close to securing second spot. Still tight at the 6-9 spots for final playoff position.

Relegation Standings:
Peterborough, Derby County and Barnsley have secured the three relegation spots and will be in the League One next season.

League One

Promotion/Playoff Standings (46 matches to be played):
Team GP Points
1. Wigan Athletic. 44 89
2. Rotherham United. 44 86
3. MK Dons. 45 86
4. Sunderland. 44 80
5. Plymouth Argyle. 45 80
6. Wycombe Wanderers. 45 80
7. Sheffield Wednesday. 44 79

Top two auto qualify for Championship, teams 3-6 go into playoff for final promotion spot. Wigan need just one more point from their last 2 matches to secure promotion. Rotherham and MK Dons are battling for the final auto-promotion spot, while Wednesday, Plymouth, Sunderland and the Wanderers are all really tight for the other three playoff spots.

Relegation Standings (46 Matches to be played):
19. Morecambe. 45 42
20. Fleetwood Town. 44 40
21. Gillingham. 45 40
22. AFC Wimbledon. 45 37
23. Doncaster Rovers. 45 37
24. Crewe Alexandria. 45 29

Bottom 4 clubs are relegated to League Two. Crewe are already conformed, and Doncaster and Wimbledon are all but confirmed, due to terrible goal differential. Gillingham, Fleetwood and Morecambe all still are fighting to avoid the final relegation spot.

League Two

Promotion/Playoff Standings (46 Matches to be played):
1. Forest Green Rovers. 43 83
2. Exeter City. 43 80
3. Northampton Town. 44 76
4. Port Vale 44 75
5. Bristol Rovers. 44 74
6. Mansfield Town. 43 72
7. Sutton Town. 43 70
8. Salford City 44 69
9. Tranmere Rovers. 44 69
10. Swindon Town. 43 68

Top three clubs auto-qualify for League One, with teams 4-7 going into a playoff for the final promotion spot. Forest Green Rovers have secured their spot in League One for next year, quite an accomplishment for a team that had never been in the league just a couple of years ago. Exeter, Northampton, Port Vale and Bristol Rovers are all vying for the other two auto-promotion spots. There is a big group still in the hunt for the last two playoff spots.

Relegation Standings:
Bottom 2 clubs are removed from league football and have to go the non-league route. Oldham Athletic and S****horpe United will both be playing non-league football next season.
oh no
AG
I'd love to see Millwall get promoted. It's been a long time since they were in the top tier, their crest (lion) and colors are awesome, another London club, famous for their hooligans and rivalry with other local London clubs like west ham and crystal palace- yes please!

Sunderland with a chance to get back up from league one to championship? What a story after dropping two divisions down from the premiership not too long ago.
Furlock Bones
AG
there's too many london clubs as it is.
oh no
AG
If I could switch out West Ham or Brentford or CP or tottenham or Arsenal for millwall, I would
deadbq03
AG
I can't help but think of this dude's quote every time I come across Millwall.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/06/millwall-fan-roy-larner-london-bridge-attackers
oh no
AG
deadbq03 said:

I can't help but think of this dude's quote every time I come across Millwall.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/06/millwall-fan-roy-larner-london-bridge-attackers
yes. need more of this:
Quote:

I shouted back at them. I thought, 'I need to take the piss out of these *******s'. I took a few steps towards them and said, '**** you, I'm Millwall'. So they started attacking me."
He described how the three extremists smashed open the door of the restaurant to gain entry and he later saw them shot dead by police officers when they left the premises.
"I didn't think of my safety at the time. I'd had four or five pints nothing major," he said. "I can handle myself.
JJxvi
AG
Bournemouth was down 0-3 after 70 minutes to Swansea but now its 3-3 with apparently a ton of extra time being added still to go.
JJxvi
AG
Forest also beat Fulham today, so its a huge game in terms of both their automatic promotion chances and winning the title over Fulham.
JJxvi
AG
FT 3:3

Gap for automatic promotion closes to just 3 points between Bournemouth and Nottingham Forest/Huddersfield Town.
ChipFTAC01
AG
JJxvi said:

Forest also beat Fulham today, so its a huge game in terms of both their automatic promotion chances and winning the title over Fulham.

That's a huge win for Forest. They are just buzzing. Fulham just needs 1 point from their last two to clinch. Would have been nice for Bourne mouth to not tie that up.

Huge 6 pointer on Tuesday in the race for 2nd.
KCup17
AG
Up the Tricky Trees
Aston94
AG
Busy week for me, so here is the pre-weekend update. Some big matches in the Relegation battle this weekend:

Team GP Points +/-
16. Leeds 33 34 (-30)
17. Burnley 33 31 (-16)
18. Everton 32 29 (-21)
19. Watford 32 22 (-36)
20. Norwich 32 21 (-47)

Saturday:
Aston Villa v. Norwich City (9am, Villa Park, CNBC). Norwich are just about done. They deserve to go down, I hope we don't see them back in the EPL until they decide to make the financial commitment to play with the big boys. Game will have some meaning for Dean Smith as he returns to his former club. If Norwich is going to have any shot at remaining in the EPL (they don't) then the Canaries have to win this weekend.

Watford v. Burnley (9am, Vicarage Road, USA). Big, big six pointer. For Watford this is their last gasp at hoping to avoid relegation. A win and the Hornets would be 6 points back with 5 matches remaining. A loss and they are 12 points back and it is over for them. Game is equally important for Burnley, as they must adjust to being one of the teams outside the relegation zone, trying to hold on to their spot. The clubs drew 0-0 at Turf Moor back in February, a result that would not really suit either team this go around.

Leeds v. Manchester City (11:30, Elland Road, NBC). Well, this will be an interesting one for Jesse Marsch and his Leeds squad. Last time these two met City destroyed a Marcelo Bielsa led Leeds team 7-0. So, yeah, that's a tough one. Leeds will want to try and claw out a point from this match and make a respectable showing at home, but City are playing for the title and will be in no mood to let the Whites hang around. This will test Jesse Marsch and his plan for the Yorkshire boys for sure.

Sunday:

Everton v. Chelsea (8am, Goodison Park, USA). No story lines with this game, huh? Frank Lampard leads his Everton club up against his beloved Blues, desperate for three points and to get themselves back out of the bottom three. Chelsea still have plenty to play for as they try and solidify their top 4 spot. The clubs drew 1-1 in December at Stamford Bridge, a result that I am sure Frank Lampard would be happy to claim in this match up as well.

Enjoy the weekend!
KCup17
AG
Would absolutely love to see Marsch and Leeds steal a point from City. I would much rather see Liverpool win the league. TBH anyone but City.
Unemployed
AG
Burnley scored two goals in 3 minutes span to take 2-1 lead over Watford.
oh no
AG
Super Frank got a massive 3 pts from Chelsea
KCup17
AG
That Burnley result ended up being huge. Putting real pressure on Everton now. Even with their win over Chelsea at the weekend.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
We're going to catch Leeds before Burnley if anything. That said, we have a match in hand and the rest of our schedule is a lot softer than Burnley or Leeds.
Aston94
AG
What a weekend for the relegation battle! After this weekend we are essentially down to 3 teams trying to avoid the one final relegation spot. It looks like it is shaping up to be a battle to the end for the three remaining relegation contenders.

Weekend Results:

Aston Villa 0-2 Norwich City. With this loss Norwich were officially relegated back to the championship for next season, as their yo-yo continues. So I went back and looked at the yo-yo that truly is Norwich City, here are their results since 2013-14 season:
13-14: relegated to champ;
14-15: promoted to EPL;
15-16:relegated to Champ;
16-17: 8th in Champ
17-18: 14th in Champ
18-19: Promoted to EPL
19-20:relegated to Champ
20-21: promoted to EPL
21-22: relegated to Champ
So they have not lasted more than one season in the EPL in their last 3 promotions. I am a fan of Norwich, love the energy from their fans, but I hope they are not promoted again until they decide to commit themselves to putting a product in the EPL that is worthy of being there.

Watford 1-2 Burnley. What a dagger. There is a four minute stretch in this game that might have lasting impacts on three different clubs. Two quickfire second-half goals earned Burnley a third successive win as they completed a dramatic 2-1 comeback at Watford. Watford took the lead in the eighth minute, when Juraj Kucka's shot hit the bar and rebounded in off Burnley's James Tarkowski. It looked like the Hornets would hold on to the win and their chances to avoid relegation, but Jack Cork equalized with a diving header in the 83rd minute for his first goal since December 2018. Josh Brownhill then fired in a low shot to claim all three points for Burnley and all but seal Watford's fate of relegation. Burnley rise above Leeds United to 16th place on 34 points. A top-flight record 11th straight home defeat leaves the Hornets in 19th needing to win their remaining four matches as they are 12 points behind 17th-placed Leeds. So, yeah, they are done.

Leeds 0-4 Manchester City. City returned to the top of the Premier League, ahead of Liverpool with four matches to play, thanks to a 4-0 victory at Leeds United. Rodri's header from a Phil Foden free-kick gave City an early lead. Nathan Ake added their second shortly after half-time. Leeds responded well but the next goal was City's, as Gabriel Jesus scored his fifth goal in two matches and Fernandinho claimed a fourth City goal in stoppage time. A first defeat in six leaves Leeds 17th, two points clear of 18th-placed Everton, who have played one match fewer.

Everton 1-0 Chelsea. An incredible atmosphere at Goodison Park helped lead the Toffees to a dramatic win over Chelsea, and gave the Toffees a real hope of avoiding relegation. Watching this match I almost felt as though the Toffee supporters willed home the win, just an amazing scene. The winner came moments into the second half when Richarlison scored his fourth goal in five matches with a cool finish from Demarai Gray's pass, after a terrible give away by Cesar Azpilicueta. Jordan Pickford was the hero at the other end. After Mason Mount's shot had hit both posts, the Everton goalkeeper made a stunning goalline save from Azpilicueta before then denying Antonio Rudiger at point-blank range. Everton remain 18th but now have 32 points, and they have a match in hand on both teams above them.

Team GP Points +/-
16. Burnley 34 34 (-15)
17. Leeds 34 34 (-34)
18. Everton 33 32 (-20)
19. Watford 33 22
20. Norwich 33 21

Remaining matches for three teams in relegation battle for final spot:
Burnley: 5/7: v. Villa; 5/15 @ Spurs; 5/18 @ Aston Villa; 5/22 v. Newcastle---Project 5 more points
Leeds: 5/8: @ Arsenal; 5/11: v. Chelsea; 5/15 v. Brighton; 5/22 @ Brentford---Project 6 more points
Everton: 5/8: @ Leicester; 5/11 @ Watford; 5/15 v. Brentford; 5/19 v. Palace; 5/22 @ Arsenal---Project 7 more points

Going to be a great battle to the finish!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.