*****Official 2021-2022 EPL Relegation Battle*****

16,963 Views | 339 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by KCup17
deadbq03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If they stay up, I think he'll get some support. I've seen several rumors that they're willing to break the bank to sign Josko Gvardiol (very talented young CB from Leipzig, who Spurs and Chelsea are rumored to be interested in).

If they go down, I'm not sure they can afford to fire him because he roped them into a pretty long contract IIRC.
Aston94
AG
Yeah, Leeds need to win 2 of their remaining 3, in my opinion, to be safe. I expect Burnley to go 1-1-1 in their final three. If it comes down to goal differential Leeds is done.
oh no
AG
Expect burnley to get a draw and a win 4 pts from villa and Newcastle? It could happen, but I wouldn't expect that.
Aston94
AG
oh no said:

Expect burnley to get a draw and a win 4 pts from villa and Newcastle? It could happen, but I wouldn't expect that.
Burnley's last 3:

@ Tottenham---expect loss
@ Villa---expect tie
v. Newcastle---expect win
Aston94
AG
oh no said:

You have to factor in the "give a damn" level of mid-level clubs this time of year. Teams like Villa and Newcastle are playing out the season, where your bottom clubs are fighting for their lives.
oh no
AG
I factored it in and mentioned it my previous post: just as Newcastle might mail it in v burnley, brentford could mail it in vs Leeds where they both get 3 pts on the last day. I think "expecting" 4 pts for Burnley in those last two is generous though. More like hoping Villa and Newcastle have zero Fs to give by this point.
oh no
AG
I can barely see grayed out behind a paywall, an article suggesting relegation for Burnley could spell financial disaster as they'll be forced to pay back a large chunk of debt the new owners secured last year while relegation for Leeds would likely trigger a fire sale of star players including Kelvin Phillips, Patrick Bamford, and Raphinha.
KCup17
AG
This is League One specific, Sheffield Wednesday and Sunderland are in Leg 2 of the Semi-final and its 1-1 agg. Sunderland looking to make it back to the championship for the first time in something like 4-5 yrs.
akm91
AG
Really it's the results against Chelsea and Tottenham that will decided the relegation battle.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
wangus12
AG
Sunderland just scored in ET to take a lead in the tie
KCup17
AG
Bonkers

10 mins of Extra Time.
wangus12
AG
Relegation playoffs are always the best
KCup17
AG
Sunderland through to the League one Playoff final.
Aston94
AG
Championship Playoffs are set, looking for the final EPI spot for next year:

Luton v. Huddersfield (Leg 1-Friday (5/13), Leg 2-Monday (5/16))
Sheffield United v., Nottingham Forest (Leg 1-Saturday (5/14), Leg 2-Tuesday (5/17))
Aston94
AG
KCup17 said:

They will meet the Wycombe Wanderers in the League One Final at Wembley (5/21)
Aston94
AG
oh no said:

I factored it in and mentioned it my previous post: just as Newcastle might mail it in v burnley, brentford could mail it in vs Leeds where they both get 3 pts on the last day. I think "expecting" 4 pts for Burnley in those last two is generous though. More like hoping Villa and Newcastle have zero Fs to give by this point.
That is why I think Leeds get 6 points....as I originally stated, I expect Leeds to stay up, with 6 points, and Burnley to be the club relegated.
heddleston
AG
Sorry to all Spurs fans in this thread, but as an Evertonian I'm definitely rooting for Arsenal to have 4th locked up before Decision Day.
HTownAg98
KCup17 said:

I had forgotten that Sunderland was in the EPL as recently as 2017.
oh no
AG
I still haven't watched the Sunderland til I die show. I want to.
KCup17
AG
Yeah its crazy. They got relegated in back to back seasons.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
oh no said:

I still haven't watched the Sunderland til I die show. I want to.
I really like season one just to see how important the club is to the community.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Aston94
AG
Two more big games today in the relegation battle:

Leeds v. Chelsea (1:30pm, Elland Road, Peacock). Leeds continue their run against top 4 clubs, having faced Man City and Arsenal in their last two, and now welcoming Chelsea to Elland Road. They might be catching the Blues the right time, as Chelsea have only gone 1-2-2 in their last 5. Chelsea claimed a 3-2 win over the Whites in September at Stamford Bridge. Leeds need to get something out of this match to get out of the bottom 3, as Burnley will have a game in hand after today's action.

Watford v. Everton (1:45pm, Vicarage Road, Peacock). This match had the markings of an epic late season six-pointer, both clubs fighting for safety. But Watford have not been able to keep pace, and are already officially relegated. Everton are looking to win three consecutive Premier League matches for the first time since March 2021. The Toffees' 2-1 victory at Leicester City last time out ended a 15-match winless run on the road. Watford did beat Everton 5-2 in October at Goodison Park. A win today could go a long way to guaranteeing the Toffees safety, but road wins have not been easy for them this year, and will be interesting to see how Watford approaches this game now that they know next season will be down in the Championship.

Current Relegation Standings:
Team GP Points +/-
16. Everton 34 35 (-19)
17. Burnley 35 34 (-17)
18. Leeds 35 34 (-35)
19. Watford 35 22
20. Norwich 35 21
KCup17
AG
Leeds down 1-0 in the first 5 mins
akm91
AG
Daniel James not doing Marsch any favors getting a red in the 24th minute.
jeffk
AG
Hey, maybe Leeds can stay up?

Game starts and Leeds begins Leeds-ing.

Oh well...
wangus12
AG
akm91 said:

Daniel James not doing Marsch any favors getting a red in the 24th minute.
That entire team needs a defense and tactics lesson. There is a reason they set the EPL discipline record this year
oh no
AG
Two matches in a row Leeds has to attempt to stave off relegation while being down to 10 men.
oh no
AG
goal by pulisic... American player crushing an American coach
wangus12
AG
Leeds are gone.
akm91
AG
wangus12 said:

Leeds are gone.
Most likely that's the case and what a shame. It's hard for me to see Leeds getting results against both Brentford and Brighton in their last two matches.
Mathguy64
AG
Leeds will end up going down because (a) Bielsa was stupidly stubborn and (b) Jordan Pickford had played like a combination of Peter Schmeichel and Petr Cech the last 2 games.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Will that cost Marsh his job?
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
wangus12
AG
akm91 said:

wangus12 said:

Leeds are gone.
Most likely that's the case and what a shame. It's hard for me to see Leeds getting results against both Brentford and Brighton in their last two matches.
Plus they're missing their 3 best players in Dallas, Ayling and now James.
oh no
AG
I hope they remain committed to Marsch since they just brought him in mid-season, but as mentioned earlier, relegation for Leeds likely means a fire sale of players including Phillips, Bamford, and Raphinha.
deadbq03
AG
Leeds seems like it has a really crappy front office.

My first encounter with them was as a Leipzig fan, when Leeds made a horrific loan deal, where they were obligated to buy the player after promotion, regardless of playing time. The player played 45 mins, but they got promoted, so Leeds had to pay. Then they've tried to weasel out of it, but have lost every legal battle so now they owe the full fees plus interest. This is the kind of BS that can sink a team fast.

Read a good article recently about Jack Harrison. He sounds great… but this also paints a pretty bad picture about what life was like under Bielsa.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/story/4658367/jack-harrisons-path-to-premier-league-from-us-high-school-soccer-to-life-at-leeds-under-jesse-marsch

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.