Manchester United 2021-22 Thread

51,365 Views | 1169 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Mathguy64
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well...last season didn't end the way we wanted. Lots of questions going into the transfer season. It's not all bad. There has been some improvement and the club is better off now than say, 2 years ago. But still a lot of questions marks about the roster, and Ole's ability to take this team to the top.

Can the new season start now? Ready to get that EL Final out of my mind.
Aston94
AG
Let's do this!!!!!
Mathguy64
AG
Let the summer silly season commence!
Furlock Bones
AG
Reports Ole signing a new contract.
bagger05
AG
Still in...
Dre_00
https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-no-winners-de-gea-henderson-battle-man-united

I thought this article did a good job analyzing United's current GK plight. For all the talk that De Gea should be moved and has underperformed, Henderson hasn't exactly made the decision a no brainer for United. He wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination. But he hasn't been spectacular. And his relatively short resume of success is no guarantee of sustained success at United. I understand the notion that United need to look at a 3rd player to take the #1 jersey.

I'd personally give the job to Henderson, try to move De Gea, and try to get a veteran who was OK with being a backup should Henderson succeed but is perhaps intrigued by the possibility Henderson might not. SAF backed De Gea A LOT in his first year or so in spite of a number of high profile gaffes and calls for De Gea to be removed. But he backed him and it worked out pretty well for United. No reason why Henderson shouldn't get that same level of support, IMO. Henderson's errors against Liverpool were nowhere near the level of De Gea's when De Gea was young.
Furlock Bones
AG
There was talk of a DDG/Oblak swap. I would be overjoyed with that.

But I agree. As the Brits say, Henderson didn't quite cover himself in glory.
Aston94
AG
Dre_00 said:

https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-no-winners-de-gea-henderson-battle-man-united

I thought this article did a good job analyzing United's current GK plight. For all the talk that De Gea should be moved and has underperformed, Henderson hasn't exactly made the decision a no brainer for United. He wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination. But he hasn't been spectacular. And his relatively short resume of success is no guarantee of sustained success at United. I understand the notion that United need to look at a 3rd player to take the #1 jersey.

I'd personally give the job to Henderson, try to move De Gea, and try to get a veteran who was OK with being a backup should Henderson succeed but is perhaps intrigued by the possibility Henderson might not. SAF backed De Gea A LOT in his first year or so in spite of a number of high profile gaffes and calls for De Gea to be removed. But he backed him and it worked out pretty well for United. No reason why Henderson shouldn't get that same level of support, IMO. Henderson's errors against Liverpool were nowhere near the level of De Gea's when De Gea was young.
I agree, sell De Gea and get some value back, give Henderson the job for next season (with the understanding he must learn to properly wear a baseball cap if he ever chooses to do so again in the future) and then if Henderson doesn't step up next season should go out in the market and look for a new #1. You know what you have with De Gea, and you know Henderson is roughly the same level, but could still develop into more.
Dre_00
There's a rumor that United may look to move AWB to CB. Or at least try him out there.
Thunder18
AG
Hopefully he focuses on improving his positional awareness
Furlock Bones
AG
I wish we were in the bidding for Donnarumma. By all accounts, he is the goalkeeper of the future.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG

Even British film is unimaginative these days. Just more sequels and nothing original or new
Mathguy64
AG
Dortmund is playing hardball on a guy who will be on a free transfer next year. Gutsy move.
Furlock Bones
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Dortmund is playing hardball on a guy who will be on a free transfer next year. Gutsy move.

That is how BvB work. They are either get their money. Or they keep the player. This should not be a shock to anyone or any club.
Mathguy64
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Mathguy64 said:

That is how BvB work. They are either get their money. Or they keep the player. This should not be a shock to anyone or any club.

I get it. But in the last year it's idiotic to pay it. Woodward has been hardheaded on a lot of things. This is one time I don't begrudge him.
Dre_00
Yeah, that's a lot of money for a guy in the last year of his contract in a financial climate where there are maybe 4 teams who can afford him and 2 of which have shown no interest.

Apparently Real want 60 million (GBP) for Varane who is also in the last year of his contract and is 28...that's even more ridiculous.
Dre_00
In Act XXVII of the Jadon Sancho Saga...

Multiple major news outlets reporting that the deal is "close" providing numbers that, in fact, are actually close. United is offering 72 million and Dortmund wants 77 million. One would thing they can come to an agreement if they are in fact that close. But as we learned in Act III of the Jadon Sancho Saga, believe nothing and especially don't believe in the End of the Jason Sancho Saga.

Can anyone remember a transfer rumor that has been so thoroughly discussed for such a long period of time? This is like the perfect storm of transfer crap. 2 years of rumors, a young, dynamic English player and sustained interest from arguably the biggest club in the world in English speaking media.

Read an article a while back that proposed that even if Sancho does eventually sign for United that the reaction will be ambivalent at best due to everyone's exhaustion with the story even though the signing itself would likely have a very positive impact.
Dre_00
From a Man United perspective, the Euros are going pretty well. Bruno and Pogba both home relatively early and can get some needed rest. Rashford and Maguire haven't played much for England. Sancho has seen virtually no time which, in theory, should keep his price (and interest in other clubs) from going up.
Mathguy64
AG
Maguire started today.
boogieman
AG

planoaggie123
AG
Not going to pretend to know Sancho other than we have been chasing him for a while.

What is his style of play and who is moving to the bench / another squad with this acquisition?
Furlock Bones
AG
Wow. So I have to say I am shocked. We actually got a good deal here. We agreed to BvB's price. But they agreed to it in 5 yearly installments.
Thunder18
AG
He's a winger, hopefully he will be the answer at RW
planoaggie123
AG
Thunder18 said:

He's a winger, hopefully he will be the answer at RW
I guess I am trying to figure out how this might look on match day 1 between him, Greenwood, Martial, Rashford, Cavani....def feels like Daniel James may be surplus...?
Mathguy64
AG
Sancho plays RW. That frees Greenwood up to play at the 9. It seriously improves RW.

All this is assuming Ole uses him correctly.
Thunder18
AG
Depends on form I guess, but I'd say Rashford at LW, Cavani at F, Sancho RW with Martial/James/Greenwood off the bench
Thunder18
AG
Yes, I'm hoping this lets Greenwood really focus in on learning under Cavani this year
Furlock Bones
AG
rumors heating up that we are now going hot and heavy on Varane.
Mathguy64
AG
Crap. Wrong thread.
Dre_00
Yep. Sancho on the right. Greenwood can still be an option on the right but he's better, in theory, at forward. Cavani is 34 years old. Can't expect him to play 50 games. Sancho adds quality and depth.

My guess is James goes on loan or gets sold. He serves a purpose but he's not likely to get much playing time unless there's a long term injury. He's probably 3rd choice right winger and 4th choice winger on the left.
Dre_00
Sancho is officially official
Dre_00
Furlock Bones
AG
I like Mata. Always have. But Apparently we are paying him 100k per week to ride the pine. That just doesn't seem to make sense to me.
planoaggie123
AG
Agree. A tad confusing. Maybe just make him a coach.

I would prefer him see the field a bit more but with his usage rate he is effectively a coach.
Thunder18
AG
We also extended Lee Grant today after just signing Tom Heaton...weird

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.