* Liverpool 2017-2018 Thread *

64,724 Views | 1318 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jeffk
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jeffk
AG
Dre_00 said:

I don't have a link but on Twitter BBC claimed FA had already decided no further action.

Certainly appears to be true. Like I said, I wouldn't have been up in arms had they banned him, I just didn't think they had to stones to do it.

AG@RICE
AG
Dre_00 said:

FA isn't taking action. Honestly...kinda looks like a "get off me" move.

That said, I firmly believe reputation plays a factor in this stuff. Everyone loves Salah. If that was Rooney, he'd probably be banned.
And if it was Luis Suarez they would have made it a 9 match ban.
datrixstunna
AG
If that was Suarez, he would deserve a 19 game ban.
AG@RICE
AG
datrixstunna said:

If that was Suarez, he would deserve a 19 game ban.
Only because they would get some piece of trash like Patrice Evra to make up a story
Dre_00
That Suarez eventually admitted to saying?
datrixstunna
AG
Dre_00 said:

The Wizard of Oz
AG
Dre_00 said:

He admitted to using the Spanish word "negro". Suarez's grandfather was black. Why rehash and revise?
Dre_00
Yeah, I'm not going to get too far into this again but...he admitted to using the word but said it's OK because it isn't a bad word and his grandpa is black. Common sense should tell you he's full of it. If it doesn't, then I can't help you.
Dre_00
And for the record, Rooney has deserved virtually every ban he's ever received.
AG@RICE
AG
Dre_00 said:

He didn't make up Suarez's words, just the offense.

That lingo is common in South America, the british just played it up. Evra knew what he was doing. He couldn't stop him on the field so he resorted to gamesmanship...the dirtiest kind. He knew Luis' reputation and he just baited him. Good for him, stupid on Luis....

Luis is still the same guy in Spain, but opponents can't use that tactic in La Liga because Spanish culture is more socially relaxed.

That would have never worked for Rooney though, the Spanish would have never accepted his flabby body.
Dre_00
Here goes nothing...

Everything you are saying can in no way be true.

https://edition.cnn.com/2011/12/20/sport/football/suarez-racism/index.html

Quote:

Scholars who have studied race issues in Latin America say that such a term can have different meanings and connotations in different nations.

Generally, however, negrito is not considered a racial slur in Latin America, said Mark Sawyer, director of the Center for the Study of Race, Ethnicity and Politics at the University of California Los Angeles. "It's often a term of endearment," he said.

But Dr. Carmen Fracchia, a Paraguayan who works in the Iberian and Latin American Studies department of Birkbeck University of London, told CNN that the term is not affectionate when it refers to strangers.

I'm far from an expert in Spanish linguistics but seems pretty apparent that there's a lot of "grey" here. Like so many other things in language, context matters. If you use that word in reference to a stranger, it has a completely different meaning and intent than when you use it to someone you know. So yeah, I find it impossible to believe that during a fight/argument with a heated rival, a man used a word with two disparate meanings and actually meant it in the "endearment" sense. That's so far-fetched it borders on lunacy.

Also, LOL at Evra "knowing" what he was doing when people with PhDs in relevant disciplines can't fully align on the nuances of the word or simply define its meaning.

Anyway, enjoy your game tomorrow.
gig them
AG
This conversation is dumb.

LFC people, stop jumping offsides. The united folk have nothing better to do.

Let's kick ass tomorrow.
jeffk
AG
Lallana made the roster for tomorrow!
jeffk
AG
Also, one possible reason Buvac has left the team is that he's a serious candidate for the Arsenal job?
The Wizard of Oz
AG
Dre_00 said:

Yeah, I'm not going to get too far into this again.

Dre_00 said:

Here goes nothing...

Everything you are saying can in no way be true.

https://edition.cnn.com/2011/12/20/sport/football/suarez-racism/index.html

Quote:

Scholars who have studied race issues in Latin America say that such a term can have different meanings and connotations in different nations.

Generally, however, negrito is not considered a racial slur in Latin America, said Mark Sawyer, director of the Center for the Study of Race, Ethnicity and Politics at the University of California Los Angeles. "It's often a term of endearment," he said.

But Dr. Carmen Fracchia, a Paraguayan who works in the Iberian and Latin American Studies department of Birkbeck University of London, told CNN that the term is not affectionate when it refers to strangers.

I'm far from an expert in Spanish linguistics but seems pretty apparent that there's a lot of "grey" here. Like so many other things in language, context matters. If you use that word in reference to a stranger, it has a completely different meaning and intent than when you use it to someone you know. So yeah, I find it impossible to believe that during a fight/argument with a heated rival, a man used a word with two disparate meanings and actually meant it in the "endearment" sense. That's so far-fetched it borders on lunacy.

Also, LOL at Evra "knowing" what he was doing when people with PhDs in relevant disciplines can't fully align on the nuances of the word or simply define its meaning.

Anyway, enjoy your game tomorrow.

jeffk
AG
He's probably just stuck in an airport again.
Dre_00
I said "not too far"...not "not at all".
OregonAggie
AG
jeffk said:

Also, one possible reason Buvac has left the team is that he's a serious candidate for the Arsenal job?

Grumpy Pundits on XM FC we're making that link today.
jeffk
AG
Take care of business tomorrow then deny Real the three-peat.
jeffk
AG
BTW - I think I'll be catching the game at the Corner tomorrow if anyone is around campus and wants to join me.
jeffk
AG
OregonAggie said:

jeffk said:

Grumpy Pundits on XM FC we're making that link today.

I think he's a real possibility. Kind of a reactionary hire against the grain of Wenger. That said, even if that's the case, I don't understand why he'd bail on the team at such a crucial time and miss out on some pretty valuable experience he could roll into his next gig - Arsenal or somewhere else. Plus, I think he and Klopp are on really good terms.
Dalton Hughes
Staff
AG
jeffk said:

BTW - I think I'll be catching the game at the Corner tomorrow if anyone is around campus and wants to join me.
If you're serious, I'm in!
jeffk
AG
Definitely serious - I'm shooting to be over there about 1:30 or so. I'll be in the white LFC jersey.
AG@RICE
AG
Dre_00 said:

I love how you brought academic social scientists into this debate. That is not really relevant between two guys who didn't finish high school. Just because people with PhDs don't know how to treat the word "negrito" doesnt mean that Evra didn't ham it up. That guy played with Antonio Valencia for years...he has heard negrito...he knows what it means...he wasn't offended, he just played Luis.

Quote:

This conversation is dumb.

By the way gigem...most conversations on Texags are dumb. I just like to argue with the ManU fans...makes me feel like an authentic Liverpool supporter. At least I'm not accusing Dre of not knowing his stuff like the dude on the Dynamo thread. That was gold.
OregonAggie
AG
Making fun of Man U fans is one of my favorite past times
gig them
AG
it really is super fun
Dalton Hughes
Staff
AG
Lets do this.
eiggA2002
AG
"At my signal unleash hell" - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Finish them Reds! Allez allez allez
jeffk
AG
GAME DAY, BRITCHES.
OregonAggie
AG
BEAT THEM DOWN!!!
BenderRodriguez
AG
jeffk
AG
Woah! Bender on the SB?!
BenderRodriguez
AG
jeffk said:

Woah! Bender on the SB?!

Played club soccer, captain of my high school team, been a Liverpool fan since the early 2000s when I discovered Stevie G was everything I wanted to be as a midfielder.

I'm actually in the EPl fantasy league on this board, I just don't post here much.

YNWA

jeffk
AG
Awesome!

I lurk on the OB and especially enjoy your AR threads. You should post more over here - we need more vocal Reds.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.