* Liverpool 2017-2018 Thread *

64,182 Views | 1318 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jeffk
AGC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Wizard of Oz said:

Unless Liverpool get something crazy like 150 million pounds for Coutinho, I doubt they sell him. He's too important to the team, especially with how sparse the midfield is. There is no release clause. I think he's gone next summer.

They're supposedly getting 140. Not even joking.
The Wizard of Oz
AG
AGC said:

The Wizard of Oz said:

Unless Liverpool get something crazy like 150 million pounds for Coutinho, I doubt they sell him. He's too important to the team, especially with how sparse the midfield is. There is no release clause. I think he's gone next summer.

They're supposedly getting 140. Not even joking.

$140 million dollars. I'm talking 150 million pounds, which would be like $195 million dollars.
OregonAggie
AG
Hakim Zayich is a possible replacement.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportskeeda.com/amp/football/reports-liverpool-bid-60m-24-year-old-replace-coutinho

There's a 14 min video with highlight of him and he looks good...he ain't no Coutinho though.

Hopefully Liverpool find a way to bring in a couple guys with the money they're getting from Barca.
Unemployed
AG
jeffk said:

RealTalk said:

Coutinho is gone.

Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Because obviously if nameless sources say a trade is incoming, it's a done deal.
Barca fans thought the same about the Neymar to PSG rumors.

I hope I'm wrong, though.
Gigem Trevas
RealTalk said:

jeffk said:

RealTalk said:

Coutinho is gone.

Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Because obviously if nameless sources say a trade is incoming, it's a done deal.
Barca fans thought the same about the Neymar to PSG rumors.

I hope I'm wrong, though.

Paris United and Mohamed Bouhafsi aren't no name sources.
CaveDwellinAg
AG
I would be extremely disappointed if we let him go this summer. Extremely. It is entirely possible that could tank our season. Next season... sure, I'm used to it by now. Watched our guys play with Barcelona and the like. It's just how it works.

But we can't give him up right now without a replacement. Keita isn't coming through that door this summer, and no matter what people tell me, he's not Coutinho. With Lallana down... that leaves us with Can, Gini, and Henderson (for as long as his foot lets him last) and a couple of U23s.
The Wizard of Oz
AG
I agree, but don't forget our new midfield signing, James Milner!
BenderRodriguez
AG
YNWA
The Wizard of Oz
AG
All I'm seeing is smoke and no fire on the Coutinho front. Media keeps saying it's imminent, but considering how long they've been saying that, I don't think they know what imminent means.
joemeister
AG
The only consistent thing I've seen reported is that Barca representatives were in Liverpool to negotiate a deal yesterday, and have now traveled to Dortmund to negotiate a deal on a different player. To me, the fact that they left without a deal being announced is a positive sign. That being said, I'll believe he's staying when the transfer window shuts. Until then, I would bet on Barca buying him. If I had any say in the sales price, Coutinho would be the 2nd most expensive player sold this summer after Neymar. More than anything else, the timing of this possible transfer will have a negative effect on the start of the season, and Barca should have to pay a premium for that disruption.
eiggA2002
AG
He's not going anywhere this year. Next year is another story. Most if not all of those reports (including ESPN running that a deal was done) have been debunked as either rumor or flat out lies or Barca leaks. If a club like RB Leipzig can hold onto a player I think Liverpool has the guns to do the same.
gig them
AG
I'm glad we finished 4th instead of 3rd, at this point. Won't his CL playoff appearance cup-tie him for the entire competition?

Assuming that's correct (and assuming that Barca wouldn't be interested in a non-CL Phil), this sucker has a deadline of 8/15
byfLuger41
AG
Join the EPL fantasy, puffs!
2017 World Series Champions - Houston Astros
The Wizard of Oz
AG
gig them said:

I'm glad we finished 4th instead of 3rd, at this point. Won't his CL playoff appearance cup-tie him for the entire competition?

Assuming that's correct (and assuming that Barca wouldn't be interested in a non-CL Phil), this sucker has a deadline of 8/15
Good point. I could see us feature him versus Watford, and not against Hoffenheim just to mess with supporters even more, and to maybe see how much Barca will be willing to put down for him.
byfLuger41
AG
Rejected 100 million?

Derp.
The Wizard of Oz
AG
Smith&Co1970 said:

Rejected 100 million?

Derp.
So do you go into a long Premier League season, and Domestic and European campaigns with Emre Can, Jordan Henderson, James Milner, Adam Lallana (out a few months at least), and Gini Wijnaldum as your only proven midfielders? A whole bunch of money is great, but who is Liverpool going to buy with that money in less than a month that will help them finish high in the Prem and contend for domestic and European cups? Coutinho let's you at least have a chance to accomplish your goals.
byfLuger41
AG
Diego Costa, duh!
The Wizard of Oz
AG
Smith&Co1970 said:

Diego Costa, duh!
jeffk
AG
Is Smitty scared of a Liverpool with Phil?
CaveDwellinAg
AG
joemeister74 said:

The only consistent thing I've seen reported is that Barca representatives were in Liverpool to negotiate a deal yesterday, and have now traveled to Dortmund to negotiate a deal on a different player. To me, the fact that they left without a deal being announced is a positive sign.
It's been rumored they're trying to get both Coutinho and Ousmane Dembele - the former to replace Iniesta, and the latter as a direct replacement for Neymar.

If they were to pull it off it would be a magnificent haul. At this point, I don't see Coutinho happening though. Its a very interesting point someone made about the Hoffenheim game being a psuedo-deadline for Coutinho.
CaveDwellinAg
AG
For as pissed as some seem about our transfers this window with Keita and VVD not happening (yet - fingers crossed), Klopp brought in what now looks a bargain in Salah. Add that to Mane, Matip, Wijnaldum from last year?

Klopp knows how to buy players. I'm gonna keep my mouth shut and hope he gets somebody.
gig them
AG
In Klopp I trust.

But he's not making it easy.
eiggA2002
AG
Not worried about Coutinho going anywhere, but this "our defense is fine" bs is annoying. That was our top priority. I still feel like we'll get VVD, but it would have been nice to have him in a month ago for the CL Qualifier and start of the season.
gig them
AG
Our transfer committee botched that one from the word go. And today's fresh rumor has Phil gone for 120M euros.
datrixstunna
AG
gig them said:

Our transfer committee botched that one from the word go. And today's fresh rumor has Phil gone for 120M euros.
"Phil" is a good player that deserves to be at a bigger club than liverpool like Barcalona, Crystal Palace or even Stoke.

Please don't ban me jeff.
The Wizard of Oz
AG
datrixstunna said:

gig them said:

"Phil" is a good player that deserves to be at a bigger club than liverpool like Barcalona, Crystal Palace or even Stoke.

Please don't ban me jeff.
Who do you support?
gig them
AG
United.

I don't know why he's here.
datrixstunna
AG
gig them said:

United.

I am here for the banter. The season has started.
The Wizard of Oz
AG
datrixstunna said:

gig them said:

United.

I am here for the banter. The season has started.
Only thing that would make this worse is if you're Indian too.
jeffk
AG
LFC is a traditional power (it's just been a good long while). We can have nice things.

I want to have nice things.
jeffk
AG
And I already banned you. Be gone.
jeffk
AG
Y'all gonna eat up some #FakeNews when you finally wake up this morning.
jeffk
AG
Well, now legit sources are backing Sky's reports. F me.
gougler08
AG
jeffk said:

Y'all gonna eat up some #FakeNews when you finally wake up this morning.
I just googled Phil and the top 3 news items are all different...transfer season is amazing:

1) Sky Sports - Coutinho hands in transfer request
2) BBC - Liverpool insist he's not for sale
3) ESPN - Barca move on to Eriksen after being warned off Coutinho
byfLuger41

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.