Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

80,000 A&M students in 10 years

286,746 Views | 1687 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Bill Superman
VanZandt92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Is anyone actually doing anything about it? Sending emails and withholding donations?

Listen, I just want to point out to all of you that the Association of Former Students has little to do with this and does not have pull in this regard, believe it or not. This is not their mission and that is not how leadership structure at TAMU works. The Board of Regents and Perry aren't affected whatsoever by you withholding donations from The Association.

The Association goals are probably on the website, but one of the main reasons they exist is to provide support to the students and student organizations in the form of scholarships and such. All I am saying is be informed before you cut off donations. It is our school, for better or worse, and I will support The Association in their endeavors.

Gigem
TexasRebel
AG
Wouldn't fewer scholarships help reduce enrollment?
VanZandt92
quote:
Wouldn't fewer scholarships help reduce enrollment?

I can't tell if you're serious. That isn't cause and effect.
sanangelo
AG
And I have to scratch and claw to get my kids in. It just keeps on getting harder and harder.

I doubt I could have made the admissions cut today like I did in 1982 and I'm amazing.
cecil77
AG
I agree about the benefits of a liberal arts education. However, you can major in engineering and take enough liberal arts. The engineering student just has to value those courses enough to take them.
VanZandt92
Thanks Cecil. When I think of liberal arts, it is an area in which what many of my applicants are weak and it shows. While anecdotal, if you just think of our founding fathers and the skills of composition and critical thinking they showed, those skills are invaluable. I believe my critical thinking skills have certainly developed, but I don't think I could credit A&M. I love A&M and my son is TAMU yell leader material to the core I would guess, but I will also be showing them other institutions. Most recently I walked him around UNC and I will be taking him to Wake Forest and NC State next month.
AggieLit
quote:
Knocking Liberal Arts shows little understanding of what strengthens the mind and makes for a good critical thinking person. Quite frankly there are many great individuals in history that would tell you, one is not truly educated without one. Now, if your expectation is to be job ready when graduating from the undergraduate program like some sort of technical school, then perhaps liberal arts is not for you. However, if you look at learning as a process and life long endeavor, start with Liberal Arts then hone your skills with an advanced degree or work in the field and career of your choice.

Just to add... sometimes I am amazed that other peers in my current job (commercial real estate) actually went to college to learn how to do what we are doing. Granted, my liberal arts degree has not to this point opened any doors for me other than teaching, but I was able to learn the real estate business on the job, and have no regrets about what I studied. To think that instead of taking classes on Chaucer and ancient Greek history and the philosophy of art, I could have spent the four prime years of my life studying investment capital, statistical modeling, and property management, just makes my head spin.
VanZandt92
Yeah I have an accounting degree. While not a waste of time, I'd study liberal arts if I could do it again.
cecil77
AG
I have B.S. and M.Eng in Nuclear Engineering, and while I would do that again (or pure math) I would have taken a bunch more literature, writing, art and philosophy.

MidTnAg
AG
80,000. I don't get it. I just don't understand the desire to sacrifice quality for quantity.

TAMU has made huge gains in academic statue since I began as a fish many years ago. Now it cringes me to learn that there are individuals connected with the institution that my parents and I attended who want to regress the incredible gains that have been made.

I don't understand why anyone connected to A&M would propose that we intentially reduce our academic standards so that we can become the world's largest university.
cr0wbar
AG
Holy ****. Lot of self deprecating circle jerking on that first page
Richardson Zone
AG
Chancellor attracts notice to A&M with new president, research funds

Now if he can just get the acceptance rate at the flagship down and build up the other system schools, he might get some praise.
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:

Now if he can just get the acceptance rate at the flagship down and build up the other system schools, he might get some praise.
Wow. Sounds like some of you clowns owe Mr Sharp a virtual apology for all your premature predictions of gloom/doom.
cecil77
AG
Again with the insults. Why? Maybe you should apologize to the good Ags on this thread?

And yes that all is great to read!
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
Again with the insults. Why?
Hey...if the shoe fits...
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:

Wow. Sounds like some of you clowns owe Mr Sharp a virtual apology for all your premature predictions of gloom/doom.
I'm glad we're bolstering the research funding.

That's not precisely the same issue we've been talking about in this thread, though.

I still think he's overplaying the importance of the football stadium and our new seal still looks like ****.
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I still think he's overplaying the importance of the football stadium and our new seal still looks like ****.

Meanwhile in the real world, Spacex selects A&M to host cutting edge design confab: Link

Good thing Sharp and the PerryCronies have brought A&M to its knees, eh?

Oh. U forgot to mention renaming the flag room. Hth.
cecil77
AG
Sid, you have some good points and could make them, if only you showed a little grace when posting.

I wish you'd just post like the person was sitting next to you having a conversation...

From Sid's link above:
quote:
In the contest, teams of university students will be tasked with designing passenger pods and presenting them at a meet up with SpaceX officials at Texas A&M University in January, 2016. The best designs will actually be built at half scale and will be tested in June of 2016 at the SpaceX hyperloop test track. These pods will apparently be large enough to put a human inside, but will be tested without passengers.

It's even better that it involves students!
gopgabe
AG
I LOVE how research = undergraduate education!

Sarcasm for the sheet for brains.

You completely ignored the question I had asked about 25 x 25 and how the admins responded to polite questioning.

Young hasn't done anything for A&M yet, so to be celebrating him as a prize is stupid. When he does something, kudos to Sharp!

And hosting a competition surely will improve us. You're right Sid, I'm so happy I could hear you out of the admin's brown eye.
Maroon Dawn
AG
We have to get rid of these all these guys like Perry and Sharp who went to A&M in the late 60s/early 70s and want it to be just like when they went there, ie it was a cheap, open admission school where academics were not a thing at all and it was all about "the other education" (partying and football).

Now those things are fine, its some of the best parts of college, BUT NOT FROM THE PEOPLE WHO ARE SUPPOSED TO BE IN CHARGE OF THE SCHOOL.

Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
I LOVE how research = undergraduate education!

Sarcasm for the sheet for brains.

You completely ignored the question I had asked about 25 x 25 and how the admins responded to polite questioning.

Young hasn't done anything for A&M yet, so to be celebrating him as a prize is stupid. When he does something, kudos to Sharp!

And hosting a competition surely will improve us. You're right Sid, I'm so happy I could hear you out of the admin's brown eye.
Sorry dude I must've ignored...errr missed your 25-25 question whenever it was you posted it. Was admin rude to you kiddo? Did they ignore you? So sorry.

I know...Univ. admin owes serious answers to every individual who raises their hand. Esp if they're pretending to be polite about it.

Now, here's a question for you: Are you a teenager? (Cmon...i am asking politely after all)
gopgabe
AG
Uh, no. They came to talk to us specifically about it. And they blew off multiple questions.
Now I know, I know it's hard to talk with the admin's 8=D down your throat, but you gotta get it outta your mouth sometimes man. Must get hard to breathe.
cecil77
AG
Both of you guys may need to think about contributing to any value these discussions can have.

Since nuance, body language and other cues aren't available, (heck even identity isn't available) it's all the more important to be respectful and, yes, -- polite.

Sid, I know you weren't asking me, but I am 60 years old. Question, if we were to meet face to face and discuss these topics as actual human beings, would your demeanor be the same as in your posts? If not, why not try being polite?
gopgabe
AG
He's honestly going to post the same type of post and not reply to your pleas for sanity. I'll save everybody some time.

Sid Template:
=====================================================
Har har! Look at me you idiots, you all must be Perry haters (despite the fact that he was only mentioned, once? In passing?). Insert phrase here from the dictionary that attempts to discredit hard facts and anecdotal evidence as something done to intentionally bludgeon the reputation of the admin. I'm surprised nobody mentioned the [extreme form of criticism that nobody wanted to make]! [Tries to make everybody look like they're massive conspiracy theorists.]

[Gets proven wrong, see the 10,000 number for an example.] Well who says it's not a bad thing anyways!
==========================================

I want a serious discussion too Cecil, and I like opposing views so that some consensus can be reached. But when someone is blatantly acting like an ***hole, you gotta stoop that low.
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
Did u guys get diploma mill plan revoked yet?
gopgabe
AG
Nah m8. To be honest, we're somewhat still waiting for someone who knows exactly where these complaints should be addressed.
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
So we're making progress
VanZandt92
Sid back with the Perry crony handbook.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:
Meanwhile in the real world, Spacex selects A&M to host cutting edge design confab: Link

Good thing Sharp and the PerryCronies have brought A&M to its knees, eh?

Oh. U forgot to mention renaming the flag room. Hth.
I didn't bring it up, I didn't say I'd trade SpaceX for the old seal, and you seem to have forgotten to read the first two-thirds of my post.
Captain Augustus McCrae
Why do we care about research dollars? How does it improve undergrad education?
MaysGrad09
quote:
But to many, A&M's reputation - likely more associated with football than with lab work among the general public - has yet to catch up.

Sharp's solution?

quote:
That stadium to me is not a football stadium, that is a big megaphone that speaks to the rest of the country

The guys doesn't get it. Academic rankings speak to the rest of the country, not football stadiums.
MaysGrad09
quote:
"Here's one thing that is darn true about A&M: Every single time I have asked someone to come here and look at A&M for a partnership or to recruit them ... they come here and spend a couple days and go, 'My God. I had no earthly idea this stuff was here.'"
Maybe because the university has a mediocre academic ranking and a 70% acceptance rate???

Sharp should focus on those two things and quit worrying about the football stadium.
Captain Augustus McCrae
Sharp clearly doesn't get it. He has shown time and time again in interviews that he's not the guy for the job. If he had half a brain he would realize one thing most of the top public universities have in common is that they have small football stadiums and crappy football teams. So how is a big stadium going to improve the university? WTF is the chancellor so concerned about the football stadium?
Ranger1743
AG
quote:
Why do we care about research dollars? How does it improve undergrad education?

Undergraduate research is a fantastic experience and something that A&M really pushes for its undergrads. A lot of the top students work in labs and publishing in a peer-reviewed journal as an undergrad all but guarantees you a spot in a nice graduate or medical school, assuming you have the grades.
bagger05
AG
The stadium and the academics are not mutually exclusive. No reason we can't have both.

I will say that in the article Sharp comes across as a guy who is playing a caricature of a Texan in an SNL sketch or something.

quote:
I have got a hooking bull on that A&M campus now and all I have to do is keep him fed
quote:
I think in research, our competition's not in Texas anymore. There's just nobody who can stay in the same room. They're all nice people, but they ain't in our class. We just dominate.
quote:
Here's one thing that is darn true about A&M: Every single time I have asked someone to come here and look at A&M for a partnership or to recruit them ... they come here and spend a couple days and go, 'My God. I had no earthly idea this stuff was here.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.