Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Cowhop,Loupots,Dixie Chicken, Dry Bean, Flying Tomato

126,664 Views | 678 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Liquid Wrench
Moto Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For those of you who didn't get to experience Mom's, here are my fond memories of the place.
If my memory is fuzzy, pls feel free to add to or revise this.
Basically, it was a group of elderly ladies who would cook home-style meals for whomever knew how to find their place. "Mom" would sit in her living-room chair with a money pouch in her lap to collect the $3 or so that she charged at the time, while her friends cooked and served. If you wanted, you could sit and watch TV with her after your meal.

It was a small wood-framed house in Bryan with no discernable signage - just another house to anyone passing by unless you knew to go there. So really, the only way you'd know it existed was to have a friend take you there the first time, which made it that much more unique.

After saying hello to Mom, you would be seated with others already there, and they would pass the plates of food to you; no different than showing up at your own grandmother's house. You never ordered; you simply ate what they cooked that night.

I'll never forget bringing by buddy there for his first time, and his reaction when one of the ladies (the grumpy one, for those of you who knew them) came up from behind him and SLAMMED a flyswatter down on the table about six inches from his arm. It rattled the plates.
She mumbled something about "those dam# flys" and walked off. He was left choking on the ice he had just swallowed from the surprise attack.

We laugh about that visit to this day...good times.

[This message has been edited by Moto Ag (edited 6/28/2011 3:35p).]
RGV AG
AG
quote:
One of my favorite places was this run down tiny little place on Wellborn between Holleman and Jersey (will NEVER get around to calling it GBush on a regular basis!).....a little Chinese takeout place where you'd walk in, never spend any more than $3 and walk out with a plate of the best damn Chinese food in town. That place has been gone forever I know.....anyone else remember that one?

I think the place's name was Chinese Fast Food. Very creative. I just remember "Special today, beef brocoli" with brocoli pronounced bra-co-lie. It seemed it was the special every day. What was it $2.99 for a plate and a drink?

Mid 80's BCS could really stretch a dollar for food and booze.

For a couple of years there was a place at Northgate, next to the Marine Corp office called "Brazos Landing" on Sunday nights they had a potluck dinner, you popped in bought a couple of brews for about $0.75 each, and helped yourself to home made food.

I also fondly recall Frankies fried chicken, man I loved that stuff.
jbones
AG
Burger Boy delivery! Antonio's cheese sticks
GoAgs92
AG
I think Martin's bbq may be the only old army place left.
bqaggie86
Longhorn Tavern has been around for 30 plus years and Pepe's has been around just as long.

I remember my Dad talking about Mom's. He was Class of 63. I think back then they had a bowl that you put money in to pay what you felt you had eaten.
Euripidespants
best chicken fried steak i had was at longhorn tavern.

crooked path was awesome..the staff hated the boss (probably why they closed) and we would drink on our tips alone...me and the future wife would get blasted on about 20 bucks a night watching live music....and we drank alot.

Carneys was a place that never got mentioned cuz it was a frat hangout, but for a while it was the only place that had good beer on tap....ive got good memories there...even dunked my ring there....the only place in town that had lone star on tap when i was in school(chicken only had lone star light..now they dont have ****)....i needed to dunk the ring in lonestar or pearl, and it got done.
Ol Waco Ag
AG
Moms Diner was my all time favorite. 3C Bar B Que, had a fantastic. CFS!
Pepe's & Archies ( after hours) would provide relief!
Also, a place on 2818 , called the Arma-deli had .25 cent beer on Fridays from 4-7 ( granted that was the mid 80's) but a great buzz on $2-$3!
agswin2001
AG
I think we should start listing our class year after our comments, because half of these places I don't even remember, and it would be nice to know what decade the places you're talking about were in existence.

I understand that I spent the majority of my time on north gate, and enjoyed the hell out of Cow Hop, Coupe, Freebirds, Chicken, Deluxe and M&M, but I have never heard of Mom's, Thirsty Turtle or others.

'01
RGV AG
AG
Mom's was really good, I only ate there like twice, I think it closed in 87'.

I remember driving by it in 87' and the little house looked shut down, somebody later told that the main lady that took the money took ill and that was it.

Mom's was the best meat loaf I have ever had. Great tapioca pudding too.
MAROON
AG
Club 2818 for 4 for 1 drinks
The Alamo
The 12th Man sold quarts out of there front window so you could drink while standing in the street in Northgate.
dixichkn
AG
quote:
Anyone remember the Edge?

Hell yeah! Loved going there on Saturdays. Not quite as edgy as MC2 but not a bad hang. Plus I lived at Parkway Apts so I could get s-face drunk and walk home from there.....
HtownAg92
AG
Gotta keep this Memory Lane thread alive:

Anyone ever use Aggie Bucks to drink at the airport?

How about underage Zombies or other super strong "exotic" drinks at Imperial?

Pool at Clicks Billiards?

f2foxes2001
AG
Northgate took a hit for me when they paved the parking lot and put in the disney world effects with all the canopies and structures. They followed it up by losing Hollick's and replacing it with a phuhking hookah bar for all the new army ******tards that have overrun campus, thus creating a new army 6th street.
MarvsMustang
AG
No mention of Pelican's Wharf?
94Aggie95
AG
Flying Tomato was around until either 91 or 92 I think.

I also remember when Freebirds was close to closing its doors...Free the Bird! It was in the early 90's. That slogan ended up keeping it open and now look at them! They will supposedly be building somewhere near me in Katy soon!
Floyd2112
AG
DSP (Dead solid perfect) over behind the **** hut
MaroonRain

I was as Texas A&M from 1984 to 1990. This thread reminded me what a eating out fool I was back then.
Archies 39cent Hamburger – I always had enough money on my floor board to eat something at archies.
Beetle's BBQ – I guess Beetles was my favorite…don’t remember why?
Burger Boy – Used for delivery when I was too lazy to cook a hamburger….really?
Chinese Fast Food – One of my mainstays…very cheap, fresh and good.
Cow Hop for a cow pie and fries – I remember Brussels sprouts and sticky table tops.
Der Wienerschniztel – Only ate there a few times when I was deep in Bryan.
Dixie Chicken – Worked there for 2 years…loved the death burger!
Double Dave's – I remember eating with the offensive line guys and man could they put away pizza and beer.
Dudley’s Draw – They used to have sandwiches for lunch that were decent.
Fajita Rita's – I was raised on the border so I thought FR was ok.
Fat Burgers – Good
Fort Shiloh - Good
Flying Tomato – Wednesday night they would have games for prizes. My roommate and I would trade them back in for free beer….good times.
Kettle on University – late night studying
La Taqueria – absolutely my favorite place to eat. Can’t believe they closed down.
Moms Diner – Ate there often until the owner got ill…maybe she died I don’t really remember.
Schlotzskys – I thought Scholtzskys was great
The Grapevine - ok
Tom’s BBQ – miss eating off butcher paper
Deluxe Burger Bar – The pecan waffles were really good. Surprised it shut down as well.
Yesterday’s – Loved that place. I remember tripping out when the owners wife told me she a foosball national champion.

As for shopping for food when I wasn’t eating out. I went to apache meat market for meats, then next door to the farm patch and then the last stop at the Mrs. Bairds bread outlet on up the road. Anything else my roommate and I needed we shopped at Krogers.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Htown, I used Aggiebucks to drink at Applebee's, but that's probably not as cool as drinking at the airport.
Rex Racer
AG
Three out of the five places mentioned in the title are still in business.

Oh, and Dry Bean isn't that old. Remember when it was Sticky Chins? Before that, I can't remember what it was. May have just been sitting empty.

[This message has been edited by Rex Racer (edited 6/30/2011 3:14p).]
Holly Golightly
AG
The Cowhop! Cow pie and fries!
Charlies... Pint o' Blue Bell ice cream
Deluxe Burger Bar
Grapevine.. I think this is where roommate and I ordered twice baked potatoes from

I think Double Daves started out in NG. Spouse '87 got his masters in foreign beer there.

Finally, not on NG, but Cenare Italian restaurant, still there, Where spouse and I got engaged Aug. 1986.

MzDeb '88
dixichkn
AG
quote:
They followed it up by losing Hollick's and replacing it with a phuhking hookah bar

Uhhh.......they did WHAT????

Granted I've been away from Northgate for a few years but this made me throw up a little in my mouth. Wow. New Army.......
TXAG 05
AG
Yeah, the rent kept going up so they moved, I think over by where the Salty Dog used to be.
MarylandAG
Has Freddy's Fried Chicken been mentioned? It was in Northgate and that sandwich shop that was next to Loupots in Northgate, Farmers Market maybe, can't remember what it was called but it was good!

Saw Freddie Fried Chicken up above so some else does remember it. Also saw Der Weinerschnitzel posted above, they dropped the Der but they are still in Bryan, damn good chili cheese fries.

[This message has been edited by MarylandAG (edited 7/1/2011 10:44a).]
RGV AG
AG
Maryland:

It was Frankies Fried chicken, and they put some kind of spicy, MSG laden no doubt, seasoning on it and it came with a slew of dinner rolls. They had a good cupon in the People Book, but they never asked for it so you just order the special. Frankies was a mainstay for Sunday night North Side dorm dinners.

I loved Frankies and their fries were really good also.
AggieOne
AG
Helen's soul food in Bryan on 21. Sooooo good! There during the early 90's.
Killer-K 89
AG
Did someone mention Los Nortenos? If so, I missed it.

Great place for mexican in downtown Bryan. Walk in with a cooler full of beer. Leave with your stomach full and an empty cooler. Great times for poorly financed Corps Turds and their dates.
Agit8r
AG
If any of you remembers the Big G at south gate, you're REALLY old! Sadly, I am.

And don't forget the A&W...which was about where the Sonic is across from the (now defunct) Plaza hotel on Texas Ave.

MAN! Those were the days!!! (well, not really; there weren't any girls at AMC then; just lots of Ags with a firm handshake!)

_________

[This message has been edited by Father Sarduchi (edited 7/2/2011 11:04p).]
gts96
Peles is still there. I make a trip there to get the queso burrito and frito burrito every time I visit!
gts96
Pepes... Damn phone
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Anyone know what Alfred T. Hornbecks was originally? Such a weird little building.
Vegas
Remember alfredos, in fact named the feeling we had after drinking a few .99 cent pitchers before 5 and wanting nothing to do but sleep on Fri night Alfredo's syndrome

Chinese fast food great

The bar over the DC apartments on 2818 had 4 for 1s, for first hour, then 3 for 1s second hour, etc. Never remember paying for just one drink
Vegas
Remember alfredos, in fact named the feeling we had after drinking a few .99 cent pitchers before 5 and wanting nothing to do but sleep on Fri night Alfredo's syndrome

Chinese fast food great

The bar over the DC apartments on 2818 had 4 for 1s, for first hour, then 3 for 1s second hour, etc. Never remember paying for just one drink
iamtheglove
Regarding Holicks moving, I happened to pass by when they were doing work on the building for the bar they were going to put in there. The bar owner was there, spoke with him a bit and ended up buying the two plate glass windows with the Holicks logo on them.
GigEm81
AG
Excellent thread. I was a waiter at 3C Barbecue and at Ft. Shiloh. Great food and memories.

Really miss those two as well as the Cowhop, Tom's barbecue, The Texan. Wasn't there a Mama's Pizza there at Eastgate? As someone said, very few chains. I distinctly remember that some time during my tenure (77-81) this new place called "Domino's Pizza" opened. Little did we know. Does anyone remember the place called Rosewood Junction over there at Harvey and Texas Avenue? Live music.

I did see Rocky Horror at that theater there at Northgate, so I guess I qualify for this thread as someone's mom suggested. I recall that after I finished finals as a senior I walked over to Northgate and treated myself to "Every Stop on the New York Subway".

Went to Lakeview, Electric Cowboy. Texas Hall of Fame opened when I was there if I recall. Also, we used to go down to Gilley's from time to time.

Speaking of things that are not there, can someone tell me what happened to "The Grove"? I recall watching movies there in the summer before my freshman year.

They served king crab at Ft. Shiloh, but not the claws. They would sell the claws to employees for $1 per pound. That made some excellent eating which I had never had before then.

Gigem!
Jimi_Rod
AG
Went to see us get outscored by Bama this past weekend. After many years of tailgating, my old roommate and I decided to park behind the garage at Northgate and couldn't help but notice how many things had changed and it made me think of this thread. We were at the Backyard and recalled our times at the flying tomato. I too, also recall the many times spent at Deluxe Burger, the Cow Hop, and La Taqueria. I even recall the times the ATM on Northgate would dispense just $5 dollars if that was so desired. I also recall fondly going to Loupot's and picking up my books in a paper bag. That made me think of how we used to do add/drops. I recall selecting the classes you wanted, then going the next day to look at a printout posted outside of the Pavilion. If you got your class...great. If not, you had to submit it again and go back the next day. BTW, how in the world is Loupot's not a bar or something yet? That location is prime real estate. While I obviously attended back in the SWC days, I wouldn't trade that for what we're now experiencing week-to-week in the SEC. Bring on the Grove - BTHO Ole Miss.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.