Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

***2022 Weight Loss Thread***

28,902 Views | 271 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ABATTBQ87
RustyBoltz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sarge 91 said:

Current weight 238. Been at about the same weight now for about 2 weeks. Peleton at least 5 days a week 45 minutes each. Push ups and sit ups a few times a week.

Had an RMR test done last month which showed my resting metabolic rate to be 1570 kcal. Only carbs come from fresh fruit and berries, leafy greens, broccoli, caulifower, etc. Fats from olive oil, avocado, and oily fish. No starches. No booze. No dairy/eggs.

Because of my RMR at 1570 (which seems really low, btw), and a goal of 2 pounds per week lost, i figured i needed a calorie deficit of 1000 kcal per day. I upped my exercise to 600 per day, and dropped my diet to 1200 kcal per day to create a 900 kcal deficit. Lose 4 pounds quickly then plateau hit and I have been stuck, along with very hungry and fatigued.

Any suggestions? Raise calorie consumption? Macro goals? By how much? Less cardio, more strength?
Your Peloton and most other workout equipment is going to exaggerate caloric expenditure. 1kJ is approximately 1 Calorie so if you do a 45min Peloton ride and your total output is 475kJ, you burned approx. 475 Calories, not 600 or whatever feel-good number it lists.

That point aside, I'd refocus your calories around getting sufficient protein for your weight (min. 1.5g/kg or 160g @4Cal/g = 640Cal) and increase your strength training. More muscle is going to increase your RMR. Additionally, you can try alternating strength and cardio weeks, maybe two weeks focus heavily on strength gains, then a week of hard cardio workouts.
bagger05
AG
New low of 206.3.

Still averaging about a pound per week. Still on track for my goals on my 40th in December. Just gotta stay with it.

Would love to see something sub-200 at some point in April.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
1/1/22: 194.2

3/12/22: 187.8

3/26/22: 185.6

4/2/22: 181.0
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bagger05
AG
205.3 today

15 lbs from where I was on Jan 10
YokelRidesAgain
AG

4/2/22: 181.0

4/9/22: 178.2

First time in the 170s since 2010, when I only managed to stay there for a few weeks. Feels different this time.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Age 36
Starting weight at Dec 9th: 205
Current weight at Apr 14th: 175
Get it!!
DirtyMikesBoys
AG
What are you doing? Congratulations!
Jimmy McNulty
AG
I track everything I eat in the lose it app including beer on the weekends. More than anything it helps me make better decisions when it comes to snacking, and anything high in calorie counts. I track macros but I'm not too crazy on trying to hit numbers instead of keeping protein up.

For exercise, I've done Liift4 beachbody routine twice, and now starting 645 this week. I've just been pretty consistent more than anything but some weekend days I slip on diet here and there but the key for me is just getting right back at it on Monday.

I've gained and lost 30 pounds for the last several years and will be really trying to focus on not letting it slip during football season and the holidays which get me every year, it seems.
YokelRidesAgain
AG

4/23/22: 179.0

Kind of spinning my wheels the last couple of weeks--9 pounds to go to hit my goal.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
YokelRidesAgain said:

Kind of spinning my wheels the last couple of weeks--9 pounds to go to hit my goal.
We're on a similar trajectory. I went a few weeks where my weight was a bit stagnant. I switched up my workout program to one that was similar but completely different moves and that jump started the weight loss again.

Age 36
Current weight at Apr 22nd: 172.8
Jimmy McNulty
AG
I also struggle with my "goal". When I gain weight and get fed up and start the grind again, I always set 170 as the goal with the intent of then trying to up the calories and bulk a bit. I read online to try to get to 10-12% body fat. I have a scale that spits out weight, body fat...etc but I have to believe it's not all that accurate so I never know when to try to switch to trying to gain mass.
Bunk Moreland
I have plateaued for a month now at 248-252. Mostly been my own doing not being as disciplined. Going to make a serious push between now and memorial day.
Sarge 91
AG
Jimmy McNulty said:

YokelRidesAgain said:

We're on a similar trajectory. I went a few weeks where my weight was a bit stagnant. I switched up my workout program to one that was similar but completely different moves and that jump started the weight loss again.

Age 36

Can you be more specific about the switch up you did with your workouts?
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Sarge 91 said:

Jimmy McNulty said:

YokelRidesAgain said:

Age 36

Can you be more specific about the switch up you did with your workouts?

All I do is track calories and stream beachbody programs at home. I did lift4 twice and then "switched" my workouts to a different beachbody program called 645. It's not even as intense and it's essentially also weights, hiit, and balance and agility moves but the moves are just completely different than what I think I'd gotten used to. I could be wrong but just switching it up a little seems to have jumped me back into losing weight. Maybe it had nothing to do with it and was just a coincidence.
TexAg2001
AG
I've been following this thread and figured I would add my own entry:

43 yo Male
1/20/22: 264 lbs
4/25/22: 240 lbs

My weight typically hovered around 245 for the last 10 years. I decided I really needed to make a change once I gradually let it get up over 260. I've always been fairly active, but I also really enjoy eating. Various injuries led to a declne in activity, but the eating didn't stop; hence the weight gain.

Every time I decided to lose weight in the past, I went too hard too fast and got injured, so I decided to take it slow this time.

My process so far
  • I took delivery of a Peloton bike on 1/20. I've gone on a minimum 20 minute ride every day since. The last month, the majority of my rides are 30 - 60 minutes. I try to do a variety of different types of rides.
  • Outdoor cycling once or twice a week, typically about 10 miles each ride.
  • Walk between 1 and 2 miles during lunch every day (This also helps to curtail overeating at lunch)
  • 10-30 minutes of strength training every day using classes on the Peloton app. I really started to notice physical changes in the mirror once I added this to my daily program.
  • Intermittent fasting 1-2 days a week. I've also cut out pretty much all bread and limit other carbs

Sarge 91
AG
I have been stuck at 240 for over a month. Very frustrating.
1997aggies
AG
5'9" 46 yrs. old
01/01/22: 196.5
04/27/22: 174.9 (even weighed after eating dinner)
bagger05
AG
Holding steady but been off the routine for a bit too long. My COO left and I am fulfilling a bunch of responsibilities at work. Blah blah blah excuses. The things that make the biggest impact actually take no time at all. Takes zero seconds to not have another glass of wine.

Going to sprint for about six weeks. Going to Europe on June 9. No reason I can't lose another ten pounds in that time and be solidly under 200. Sub-190 is a good stretch goal.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
New low:

4/30/22: 177.0
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Age 36, M, 5'11
Current weight at Apr 30th: 170.8
Sarge 91
AG
Jimmy McNulty said:

Age 36, M, 5'11
Current weight at Apr 30th: 170.8

Bad ass results. Nice work!!
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Thanks! Lots of hard work in 5 months. It's seemed to have gone by faster this time. Maybe kids under 1 and under 4 will do that. I've had to work to find the time and try to workout early in the mornings or after I drop off the boys. I'm fortunate to work from home so it's easier in that regard. Diet has been the key though as it always is. I lost weight last year on diet alone.
ABATTBQ87
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

Height: 6'3"
Current weight 235

The goal for June (birthday) is 220

The goal for the end of 2022: 210
February 1st weight = 232

January Highlights: Walked 104 miles; 1080 situps and 680 pushups

New Goal: 210 by November 18 (35th class reunion)
March 1st weight = 229

February highlights: Walked 109 miles, 1,486 situps, 992 pushups
April 1st weight = 224

March highlights: Walked 120 miles; completed 1,687 situps and 1,661 pushups

Now playing softball 2 hours a week and 1 round of golf a week
May 1st Weight = 222

April highlight = Walked 110 miles but didn't do the pushups and situps

Play softball 2x a week and golf 2x a week.

I have 2 pairs of Wrangler jeans that are way too big now!!! 40 x 34 & 40 x 36 for sale!!

Also spent 6 hours country dancing, reminding me of the Texas Hall of Fame days

Sarge 91
AG
May 1st 239.6

Weight has been stagnant for the past six weeks, but I have added weight training to the mix. Might be just body composition changes. Have a new scale with body fat measurement arriving tomorrow.

But, have gone from 40 waist in jeans and shorts to a 36. All my dress shirt collars look 2 inches too big. Peleton power zones have improved quite a bit. And I am astonished at how fast my strength on the weights is improving. Blood sugars and blood pressure are in normal ranges. So, other than the number on the scale, seeing improvements!!
fav13andac1)c
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

fav13andac1)c said:

Just found this thread also.

30 years old. 6' 2". Using MyFitnessPal.

10/15/21: 230
3/14/22: 196.5

Goal is 185. Feeling great!!
194.5 this morning. Lightest I've been since 2008.
192.5 today.

Went stagnant in April. Spring game weekend and other events broke my resolve a little, but glad it didn't result in true gains. The dream is still alive!
wessimo
AG
1/1 199.8
1/10 197.0
1/17 193.2
1/24 194.0
1/31 192.2
5/9 192.2

Lost motivation after January but at least managed to stay flat on the scale. Going to get back on the program with a goal to lose 10lbs in the next 6wks.
bagger05
AG
Holding steady is a big positive.

Welcome back.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
No joke. When I lose motivation, it affects the gym and diet and the weight comes back on.

My weight stayed the same last week but I'm comfortably in 32 shorts and when I started 36 jeans were getting real tight.
Madmarttigan
AG
Life has kicked me in the teeth for the past month and really slowed down my 5x5 progress. I have for now reversed my weight gain. Still +4 pounds from my original post but better than the +11 I was… been good with returning back to low carb dieting for the past couple weeks.
jetch17
AG
jetch17 said:

Im stupid and cant believe this isnt higher after about 3 straight weeks of treating my body like an amusement park between my 40th bday, followed by wifes 40th bday, followed by O&G convention, followed by Midland business trip. Its been fun, but i definately feel like crap and have unwound the January well-oiled machine ... just gotta get back on!

Back off the booze, back on the bike (which has also been in the shop).

1/3/2022: 216
1/10/2022: 210
1/17/2022: 212
1/20/2022: 209
1/26/2022: 209
2/22/2022: 213

Didn't realize it's been so long since check-in.

5/19/2022: 206

Feeling good heading into summer. Still on the bike daily, pretty clean during week, slide a little on weekends - seems to be a good routine
bagger05
AG
Struggling a bit to stay the course but am course correcting very frequently. I'm not allowing a bad day to turn into a bad week or a bad week to turn into a bad month.

With all the work insanity the fact that I'm holding steady instead of putting on 10 lbs is a big win.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Age 36, M, 5'11
Current weight at May 20, 169.6

Going to go ahead and up calories this week to maintenance levels or slight surplus and try to gain slowly and trim the rest of the belly fat. I don't think I need to weigh any less than I currently do.
CFTXAG10
AG
Jimmy McNulty said:

Current weight at May 20, 169.6
That is awesome!
Gilligan
AG

5' 10"

Jan 19 247 lbs
May 25 208.2 lbs

Noom app and moderate exercise.
bagger05
AG
Something I've been doing for a few days that has been very impactful:

I have a note on my phone that every time I do something good for my health and fitness, I write it down along with a quick affirmation. If I'm not in an odd setting I say the affirmation out loud. Doesn't have to be a big deal... I'm even giving myself credit for brushing my teeth.

A couple quick examples:

- I drank two glasses of water. I give my body what it needs to thrive.
- I chose not to make a snack after dinner. I make thoughtful choices that advance my goals.
- I stayed dry for the day. I am proactive and disciplined.

Seems silly but I'm noticing some really positive effects. I have been improving some habits that I've routinely struggled with. Drinking water, drinking too much booze, not getting enough sleep... making big progress in all these areas even though work is a cluster right now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.