Chevelle SS Resto-Mod Thread

97,499 Views | 491 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by lb3
agwrangler2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm starting to get serious about my Chevelle that I've tinkered on for 5+ years, and I thought the auto board might enjoy the ride-along. It may even provide me with some much-needed motivation.

So for your viewing pleasure, here is my project, which I affectionately call $uper $port.

(Background info: 1964 Chevelle no-post coupe, drivetrain is late 90'2 LS1 with T-56 manual.)

(Edit for links)

[This message has been edited by agwrangler2001 (edited 5/9/2013 10:48a).]
BigRobSA
agwrangler2001
AG
Currently the car is at a shop getting Lizard skin sprayed on interior and undercarriage. Here are some more pics of engine/drive train test fit up. I used POR-15 on the frame, and updated the front drum brakes to power discs.

Silvy
AG

AgsMyDude
IntensivePurposes
AG
Slivy--

why you no say LS9 swap? You ok brah?
KY AG
AG
Looks good. My dad would love this project.
The Fife
Great choice of engine and transmission!

Also, it's good that you survived jacking the car up like that and working on it. It looks less than stable in the pic.

[This message has been edited by The Fife (edited 5/9/2013 1:47p).]
agwrangler2001
AG
Fife, I toyed between a big block and the LS platform for a long time, until I came across this set up. A guy had it in his Nova, but never finished it. He already had the ECU reprogrammed and the wire harness reworked and labeled, so it's good to go.

As for the body on blocks, if you saw how my wrenching buddy and myself managed that, you would be even more impressed. It was just temporary to allow us to test fit the trans-mount.
TexasRebel
AG
Silvy
AG
What's being done to the LSjuan before it goes in? At least throw a cam in it, don't even need to have the intake off.

How much boost, how big of a shot?

"Don't forget meth" - BiggiesmallsRob
TexasRebel
AG
I read 2 LS1s from 1990...
agwrangler2001
AG
I'll be honest; early on, I had dreams of a Fast intake, ceramic LT headers, and an MS3 cam. I've since readjusted my priorities to focus on getting this thing drive-able. A few recent budget-minded acquisitions :

1. F-body exhaust manifolds for dirt cheap that should fit as-is. Sourced from LStech classifieds.

2. GM B-body (Buick Regal wagon) fuel tank assembly, f-body alternator and starter from a salvage yard.

3. Chevelle-specific Magnaflow exhaust kit (sans mufflers) unused off craigslist.
Silvy
AG
HOLY HELL

I'm that little kid from next door, that house in the first picture looked very familiar all of the sudden.

If y'all need a hand with the harness I can help, I also have a box of various LS parts such as an intake in my garage in Galveston.

[This message has been edited by silverado_lover (edited 5/9/2013 2:43p).]
agwrangler2001
AG
Silverado, are you Gary's son?
Centerpole90
AG
This thread just got good.
Aggietaco
AG
Another successful TexAgs hookup
Silvy
AG
Yo
agwrangler2001
AG
Hahaha cool, small world!

Once I get it back from the shop, it wont be far from there....just down the street a ways...

I may hit you up once I get this project up to speed....
madd_ag_05
AG
Page one
Silvy
AG
Sweet, I can just unload all my leftovers from my swap on to you. I even have a harness you can scavenge.
agwrangler2001
AG
It's been a while since I took stock of what I have/need motor wise, but harness is good to go, as are most of my accessories. I also have the stock LS1 intake and TB, which isn't shown in pics. I do know I need radiator hoses, a fan solution (electric, obviously), O2 sensor?, ?????

I am also willing to entertain suggestions for/against mini-tubs to allow for a wider tire, as well as tire/wheel combos.
Silvy
AG
Fans are easy, just order some LS1 e fans from eBay (mine were $50 shipped) and order an electric fan harness from Nelson Performance or Blackbear Performance. You just run a wire off the fan harness into the PCM, wire to power, and grounds. The PCM will tell the fans when to come on.

The harnesses also come with a wire for both fans to come on high when you turn on the A/C, I don't have A/C so I just mounted a switch in the cab that I can flip if I want both fans on high.
Goat Man
AG
Ooohhh I like that car. I wish I had the energy/time/$$$ to do a restomod. Looking forward to updates.
Tagguy
AG
So much potential. I can't wait to see the end results.
fightinfarmer2010
AG
resto-mods
agwrangler2001
AG
Updates! (Sort of....)

I did a bit of inventory today and decided this thread needed some updating!

I laid out the Magnaflow exhaust kit and factory F-body manifolds. I'll have figure out something on the driver side collector, it was cut pretty short. I also need to block off the EGR ports when I get to that point....

I ordered a body bolt kit from AMK products, and so far I'm impressed with what showed up. Every bag is individually labeled and it appears very complete.

Also I talked to shop last week about the car, and he said I should have it back in a week or so. (He is doing some rust work on body)
Hopefully in the next update, the car will be home!

[This message has been edited by agwrangler2001 (edited 6/2/2013 10:52p).]
Silvy
AG
You can buy plates off eBay for the egr block off
agwrangler2001
AG
Yeah I was thinking I could just fab up some steel plate and weld them in place...

Save me around $50...?
OleArmyBQ68
AG
wrangler, why your face so red?
Silvy
AG
agwrangler2001
AG
Ugh...let me start by just saying I've had a few "issues" with my car guy. I won't get into it just yet, but we had to have a Kumbaya conversation.

The result of these issues involves delayed finish for the work he is performing, but he feels like he will be done Tuesday(tomorrow).

In the mean time, here are some progress pics he had sent(after much unnecessary pressure from me).

Dash/cowl area rust patching.

Dash/cowl area rust patching continued.

Firewall smoothing in process

Trans tunnel modification for T-56 clearance

After seeing what he has done, I'm kind of regretting not doing it myself, but as you can see, there is plenty of work left.

I hope to have more pics tomorrow when I get the car back.

Silvy
AG
Sucks to hear about your car guy, I've found the best way to learn how to do something is to just jump in and do it!
agwrangler2001
AG

More firewall smoothing pics...still don't have the car back, however.
agwrangler2001
AG
Hopefully this will be the last update before I get the car back in my hands...looking forward to it.

Lizard Skin spray-on insulation:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.