Houston
Sponsored by

HCAD 2021

29,694 Views | 321 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BSME83
Martin Q. Blank
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Quote:

from what they originally assed me at.
kinky
Aggie71013
AG
My ask was within 5k of Jubally value and they offered about 35k higher than that.
Chaca
AG
Awesome!
94chem
I bought a town home on a cul de sac and paid $159K, late in 2020. The appraisal from HCAD came in at $163K. There are 12 townhomes on the cul de sac with the identical floor plan, with appraisals ranging from $128 - $140K. One of them is at $152K.

So, I did an on-line protest, and they've offered $160K. Ridiculous. This is a rental property, and I didn't plan on taxes being $50/month higher than the 11 other identical houses on the same street.

What is the next step? It's like the only thing they cared about was my purchase price. I uploaded the info on the 11 other identical homes, and it was completely ignored.

If this isn't an example of unequal appraisal, I don't know what is. Should I do the in-person hearing, or will I just hit the same group of idiots?

Cross-posted on Real Estate
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
chjoak
AG
Based on the rules of HCAD, you are screwed. Your best bet is to get an appraisal value of 159k. For HCAD an actual sale trumps all. You either overpaid or HCAD is terribly undervaluing those others based on the comps.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I think you're probably screwed based in your purchase price.

My anecdotal story on the topic: My first job out of school I was working directly for the president of a real estate services firm. Basically his Monkey *****. The year before he had bought a new house for a couple of million and then had a bit of sticker shock when he got his tax bill. I had some appraisal background so he told me to build his case to take to DCAD. From what I recall he was about 15-20% over market compared to his neighbors.

When we walked into his informal and he starts spitting numbers and facts the CAD employee basically just shut him with "So did you actually pay $xx MM last year for the house?"

"Yes but my wife fell in love and we had to have it!"

"So yes, you paid that. That seems to be a pretty good indicator of the market value then. Have a nice day"

I think they knocked like $20k off for my effort.
94chem
chjoak said:

Based on the rules of HCAD, you are screwed. Your best bet is to get an appraisal value of 159k. For HCAD an actual sale trumps all. You either overpaid or HCAD is terribly undervaluing those others based on the comps.
Of course I overpaid. I figured I'd just stay afloat for a few years before I could pass on rent increases to the tenant. The tax situation will accelerate this, unfortunately. The HOA dues also went up $19/month between closing and when the first payment was due.

I mean - I know this is crazy - it's almost as if I calculated what to pay based on what I thought the expenses would be.

I didn't even protest the market value. I protested uneven appraisal.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
chjoak
AG
Well, if the market doesn't go up too much more you will atleast be able to use the HCAD values for neighboring properties to bring it down next year.
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

Should I do the in-person hearing, or will I just hit the same group of idiots?
What in-person hearing? Informal or formal?

Either way, if you have the time, don't skip on any of the hearings. You never know if you'll talk to a sympathetic ear.
Wrec86 Ag
Just protested via iFile

Last year - $663k
This year - $682k (3% increase) - was honestly expecting much worse. Similar houses are on the market on our street for 720-750 right now.
Jubally - $615k

I gave them a value of $615k and mentioned Jubally in my comments. What the hell, let's see what happens.
Aggie71013
AG
Had my informal this week. HCAD agreed to a 13% reduction from their proposed market value.
jbryan10
AG
I went with iSettle this year and got the 6% reduction I was asking for
aTm_bomb
AG
Also had informal this, I had a pretty aggressive reduction based on Jubally (17%) and only got dropped about 6%. Was given a "take it or leave it" offer, not much discussion to be had. I accepted as I don't have a lot of faith in the ARB but bummed that much of my argument was ignored for the HCAD calculations.

There is always next year.
LostInLA07
AG
We're all screwed next year with the huge jump in sale prices that started around 1Q21. I'm sure just about everyone will hit the 10% homestead cap for the next few years.
chjoak
AG
HCAD attempted to raise my Appraised value by 10% and my Market by 14% this year. Submitted an argument based on comps and got an offer leaving Appraised at 10% but reducing Market bump to 11.14%. I rejected. Have my ARB meeting tomorrow. I have a very solid argument based on comps in my area that both my Appraised & Market should be should be a 6.8% bump over last year.
aTm_bomb
AG
Rooting for you. I have ARB'ed twice and have been largely ignored with what I thought was valid evidence. The limited ability to discuss is a frustrating component of the format. Especially when you go first and the appraiser goes second.

chjoak
AG
aTm_bomb said:

Rooting for you. I have ARB'ed twice and have been largely ignored with what I thought was valid evidence. The limited ability to discuss is a frustrating component of the format. Especially when you go first and the appraiser goes second.

This will be my 2nd ARB with the same argument. This time my evidence is much better than last and last time I walked out with a bigger drop then I intended.
Bigballin
AG
Missed my virtual hearing this past week because nothing was mailed and somehow or another, the email went to "my junk" folder. Called HCAD today and they said I will now get a formal hearing with no opportunity for an informal.

I never signed up for paperless communication but they managed to sign me up for it anyways without my approval.

Good ole HCAD continuing with their racketeering ways. I really despise that organization.
chjoak
AG
F'n fuming... Evidently I clicked the incorrect option when I submitted my protest. They said I was supposed to be arguing Unequal Equity (my assessment value vs my neighbors) rather than Market. So the ARB people completely ignored my sales comp argument despite the fact that HCAD used actual sold properties for their assessment as well. Still have option to appeal but I'm not sure if that is ultimately gonna do me any good.
htxag09
AG
A few years ago they did the same to me. Except I selected the appraised value option vs market. I ran through my comps, the guy said "well appraisals aren't final so we can't confirm those values but we have these market comps" and proceeded to run through houses that were significantly larger, more bathrooms, list price of homes that had been sitting on the market, etc.

They completely ignored my actual comparable appraised value homes and didn't drop the value at all.

I've never wanted to commit arson so badly as I did then.
chjoak
AG
Yep, saw things unfolding when the HCAD guy starts making his argument and he said "since this is an equity hearing". I almost got VERY unprofessional.

We are arguing MARKET VALUE of the house. Why does it matter if you argue it using sales comps or whatever? Why is HCAD allowed to use sales and then apply convoluted adjustments to the actual sale price but I'm not allowed to argue based on houses that sold as well?
Aggie71013
AG
Those convoluted adjustments are infuriating. They provide no justification for them. From their logic I should be able to add a negative 100k to their number and be as justified as they are.
chjoak
AG
I've dug into them some and to me it looks like they are adding value to the property for "improvements" that were already included in the sale price when the house was purchased. Noticed that specifically this year when they were assessing me using recent sales but were also "time adjusting" the sales.
stroodles
AG
I have a decision to make now. Got my isettle offer this morning. HCAD is offering to lower my market value (and appraised) from a 12.6% increase to a 4.2% increase. I was asking for a reduction in value so it would be in line with the average lowest $/SF in my neighborhood.

At the lower value my house will be still appraised about 9.5% higher than my next door neighbor (with similar lot, building, bed/bath, etc.). Question - does over 65, teacher, widow, have any affect on appraisal values?

If I roll the dice and try the formal hearing there is a chance they do not lower at all.

Right now I'm thinking I take the guaranteed reduction and move on - bird in the hand rationale. It will give me a guaranteed lower starting point for 2022 taxes. I think next year is going to be brutal for our neighborhood, and many others around the Houston area with how crazy prices are right now. I just hope that things cool off in the fall so the most recent comps on 1-1-2022 are more inline with where they were in 2020 (unlikely I know).
chjoak
AG
Over 65 teacher widow is likely retired and has her value locked in. That can help you each year until you work you way below hers but it could also be used against your argument in ARB, assuming HCAD pays attention to such things.
Silky Johnston
They had several "improvements" that came out of nowhere. Listed the roof as new, even though it is probably pushing 10+ years by now. They also included wood floors as an "improvement". These are the original wood floors from 1958 when the house was built and they look every bit as old. Sanding and restaining would have them looking good, but they are by no means an improvement.
SnowboardAg
AG
Got the isettle for 8.7% off appraised value - lowest settlement in 5 years I lived here - I'll take it - 77055.
TXTransplant
LostInLA07 said:

We're all screwed next year with the huge jump in sale prices that started around 1Q21. I'm sure just about everyone will hit the 10% homestead cap for the next few years.

And it's not letting up. I "successfully" protested my 2021 value down from $351k to $337k.

Neighbor with the exact same house as mine put hers on the market earlier this month. The listed at $389,900 and it sold for somewhere between $420k and $482k. It's the first house on my street that's sold in about 2 years.
Bert315
AG
Got my iSettle offer yesterday. Was able to get my increase down from 8.75% to 1%. Will take it.
Sea Speed
AG
O'Connor got my increase from 10% down to less than 3% in gcad

Anyone who use mr mcgibblets get their results yet?
LostInLA07
AG
Kinda funny that basically everyone is getting a similar decrease to their increase so none of us will actually save any money because the same tax burden is still going to be allocated out in roughly the same proportion.
Mr.Bond
AG
LostInLA07 said:

Kinda funny that basically everyone is getting a similar decrease to their increase so none of us will actually save any money because the same tax burden is still going to be allocated out in roughly the same proportion.

That's the bull**** part to all of this. It's a hamster wheel. We all still pay the full increase, yet our value gets "lowered" and they just jack it up the full amount next year. I've been praying for a real estate market crash
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

AgLA06
AG
LostInLA07 said:

none of us will actually save any money because the same tax burden is still going to be allocated out in roughly the same proportion.

If you really don't think those of us who protest every year won't save money over the vast majority that don't, I'm not sure what to tell you.
evestor1
Won big this year. Had completely reasonable informals with great results.

887k to 700k

292k to 230k

A is A
AG
Morning!

I am new to Houston. Been in CT for the last 10 years. Just got a letter that my ARB Hearing is on 7/29. I did not know I submitted for a hearing.

It looks like they have the property value changing from 313,883 to 365,860. We bought the home for 373,000 back in November. It is a dramatic increase but the previous owner had two exemptions, and the 365860 is listed without our homestead added (still says pending).

Questions: is it worth going to the ARB Hearing. What are they looking for or asking for? Is it worth my time? How much will the Homestead lower my taxes?

Sorry for the questions - new to the area and this whole process is completely new to us.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.