Houston
Sponsored by

HCAD 2021

29,415 Views | 321 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BSME83
sawemoffshort07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Up over 9% in 77008
Echoes97
AG
agnerd said:

Echoes97 said:

77006 here.

Mine is weird this year, up just 1.6%. However, my land value went up 5.66%, and my House/Improvement went down 68.36%?? Seems jacked up, nothing was done plus or minus to the house this year, and it's old as crap. I don't think the valuation is super far off, just seemed weird with the proportions this time around.
It's extremely difficult to protest the valuation of the land, much easier to protest the structure. So they're basically taking away your ability to protest and to lower your taxes, probably because rich people are paying exorbitant prices for tear down houses so they can build their mansions in a desirable area.
Makes sense, esp. in our area. I might be willing to sell for one of these exorbitant prices, ha.
Us And Them - The Pink Floyd Experience
http://www.usandthemband.net
Diggity
AG
Sounds like they're starting to value your place in the "teardown" territory. What % of total value is the land now?

HCAD is "usually" pretty accurate with their land value estimates in areas where it's more material (but not always).
Chaca
AG
10% here in 77079
Echoes97
AG
Diggity said:

Sounds like they're starting to value your place in the "teardown" territory. What % of total value is the land now?

HCAD is "usually" pretty accurate with their land value estimates in areas where it's more material (but not always).
Yep, and it is a teardown so like I say it makes sense. It's not a complete sheethole but it's old and I don't think anyone would want to sink the $$$ into completely renovating it.

Right now the land is 97.9% of the total value.
Us And Them - The Pink Floyd Experience
http://www.usandthemband.net
Diggity
AG
Gotcha, that's why you're seeing that wild swing. Just HCAD acknowledging that the structure itself has little to no value compared to the land.
Post removed:
by user
Bigballin
AG
Up 25% market value
Up 10% appraised value

Had a very successful protest last year. The goat fu**ers are trying to make up for lost ground.

TexAg2001
AG
77096. 2021 appraisal is exactly same as 2020.

Does that mean it is unchanged or they just haven't updated 2021 yet? I don't remember if it says "Pending", "Unavailable", etc if the 2021 value isn't available yet.
JJxvi
AG
If it says any value for 2021 then thats the value. It'll say Pending otherwise
stroodles
AG
Market up 12.6%
Appraised up max 10%

What's weird is we haven't done any work on the house in the last year. Land value stayed the same but improvement went up 36.5%. They have my next door neighbor nearly $27/SF cheaper than my market (with no major differences between the houses). I will be protesting based on that alone.
rilloaggie
AG
77077, market and appraised both up 9%. Land value static, all the increase was on the dwelling.
TexAg2001
AG
JJxvi said:

If it says any value for 2021 then thats the value. It'll say Pending otherwise
Thanks.
JobSecurity
AG
TexAg2001 said:

77096. 2021 appraisal is exactly same as 2020.

Does that mean it is unchanged or they just haven't updated 2021 yet? I don't remember if it says "Pending", "Unavailable", etc if the 2021 value isn't available yet.

Same for me in 77450. Exactly the same in all fields down to the dollar. I'll take it if it sticks!
IronRed13
AG
77079 - Just refinanced in January, that appraisal came in 20K less than my 2020 number and 35k less than what they're trying to charge this year! Hoping the appraisal will be enough for HCAD to suck it.
Diggity
AG
I don't think they typically care much about a mortgage appraisal but guess it can't hurt.
bbr4132
My HCAD appraised value went from $400k in 2020 to $490k in 2021. I purchased the property in November 2019 for $450k. I have not yet applied for the homestead exemption, but will do so in the next couple weeks.

As I understand it, once approved, the homestead exemption is retroactive to 2020 and a refund for the difference will be issued for the 2020 taxes. What I don't understand is, since the appraised value was $400k in 2020, will the 10% cap on appraised value change the 2021 appraised value from $490k to $440k?
Post removed:
by user
SquanchyAg
InnocentBystander99
AG
bbr4132 said:

My HCAD appraised value went from $400k in 2020 to $490k in 2021. I purchased the property in November 2019 for $450k. I have not yet applied for the homestead exemption, but will do so in the next couple weeks.

As I understand it, once approved, the homestead exemption is retroactive to 2020 and a refund for the difference will be issued for the 2020 taxes. What I don't understand is, since the appraised value was $400k in 2020, will the 10% cap on appraised value change the 2021 appraised value from $490k to $440k?
Yes, your appraised value would be capped at $440k.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
bbr4132 said:

Correct it's retroactive - I had to do this and send the letter / forms certified with return receipt to make sure they got it
combat wombat™
AG
After doing some research online, I determined that my neighbour across the street had the lowest appraised value on our street. There was no logical reason for it, as their house is comparable to the rest. I went across the street and talked to them. They hire one of those companies to protest their value every single year. I used to think they were a waste of time and money. Not anymore.

I may see if I can get get all the info to do myself based upon your suggestions.
MAS444
AG
We got lit up on our new build in 77009. Improved value is way more than we paid to build...and our cost to build was not on the low side.
Diggity
AG
How was land value?
Bondag
AG
Diggity
AG
"planned system upgrade" with 5 day down time right after values released?
combat wombat™
AG
Right? Dumbassery.
Silky Johnston
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/20/opinion/home-value-race-taxes.html

I didn't read the article, but you think I could use this as part of my protest?
12th Man Ag
AG
I apologize for posting without reading all 3 pages.

I'm 50 this year and have owned homes since I was 30. This year is the first year I think my values are just way out whack. What is the best method for protesting?

- iSettle
- me do lots of research
- pay one of these organizations to protest it for me

And with property values skyrocketing right now, is it possible for you to protest and your value go up even more? Thanks in advance!
Ragoo
AG
1 year old house, value up 34,000. House literally around the corner sold in 4 days at $142/foot. My valuation is pushing $160/ft. What the ****? Checked most neighbors and the price/ft is all over the place. In a highly deed restricted master planned community built within the last 18 months.
frito
AG
First time 0% in years! 77004 ...

Down to 356k after fighting every year. It was appraised at $497 (!!) a few years ago.
Bondag
AG
Up 6%
redag06
I'm the last on the street still pending. Expecting the full 10% increase.
Diggity
AG
highly deed restricted? that's impressive

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.