Houston
Sponsored by

HCAD 2021

29,648 Views | 321 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BSME83
jbryan10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cwpaggie07 said:

Up 5% in 77077, right on the line of "is it worth the effort"
PLEASE at least do an iProtest! IMO, everyone should protest every year, whether they went up, stayed the same, or even went down.
Jack Klompus
AG
Up ~$43K in 77429
BowSowy
AG
What or who do yall use to protest? Last year, all I had to do to protest was show proof of what I paid for the house
TXTransplant
jbryan10 said:

cwpaggie07 said:

Up 5% in 77077, right on the line of "is it worth the effort"
PLEASE at least do an iProtest! IMO, everyone should protest every year, whether they went up, stayed the same, or even went down.

I've protested twice and been successful, but this year, there are no comps. Nothing on my street has sold since July 2019.

Can I argue since there were no sales in 2020, then there was no basis to raise my 2020 appraised value?

I believe 3 of the 4 sales in 2019 were for more than the appraised value of my house. Can they raise your value even more if you protest online?
billyjack2009
We're using Property Tax Professionals to handle ours. Have had them for a few years. Hit or miss with success. Does anyone have experience with Bettencourt Advisors or Republic Property Tax?
Diggity
AG
You want to note your "Neighborhood" number listed in the HCAD record for your property. Go to "real property advanced" search, input that number there, and that will be the best comp pool to use for protests.
TXTransplant
Diggity said:

You want to note your "Neighborhood" number listed in the HCAD record for your property. Go to "real property advanced" search, input that number there, and that will be the best comp pool to use for protests.

Yeah, I'm familiar with that. I've used it before. Problem is, my street is the one in my area that has smaller patio homes (2600 sq ft and less). The majority of the other homes in my area are significantly larger (3000+ sq ft), so they aren't really true comps. Then there are some attached townhomes (that sell for even less than what mine would be worth).
Diggity
AG
Gotcha, you're probably SOL then.

I would doubt the "lack of similar sales" argument will hold much water because they'll just counter that the macro prices in your "Neighborhood" have gone up, which is correct.

To answer your other question, they can raise your assessed value during protest, but it doesn't happen often from what i can gather.
TXTransplant
Diggity said:

I would doubt the "lack of similar sales" argument will hold much water because they'll just counter that the macro prices in your "Neighborhood" have gone up, which is correct.

To answer your other question, they can raise your assessed value during protest, but it doesn't happen often from what i can gather.

No harm in trying, though, right? It's so easy to protest online, I figured I'd do it anyway.

Funny thing is, prices in my immediate are didn't really go up significantly until the last month or two. Everything was pretty stable until around the first of the year. Now sellers seem to be naming their price, and houses are going under contract in days with ridiculously high prices. Things were sitting on the market longer and selling for less last year.

There are some people who sold last summer/fall who are probably kicking themselves for not holding out a few months longer.

It sure seems like HCAD is trying to take advantage of the boom the last few months, which isn't fair because your value is supposed to be as of Jan 1.
JJxvi
AG
I believe ARBs are no longer able to raise a value
aTm2004
AG
Diggity said:

The house next to me sold last year and it's well below what ours is appraised for. The issue I have are houses in my neighborhood have began to hit the market for $100k more than I paid for mine in 2018. I've looked at the neighborhood number, and I'm wondering if arguing price per sq/ft would be best as many who are similar sq/ft are about $25k below what ours is. I could use Google Maps to notate if they have a pool as well (we do not).

Edit
Just pulled all houses in my "neighborhood" and put into a .xls file. I filtered by +/- 100 sq/ft from mine, and there are 65 houses. 20 are a higher price per sq/ft than mine while 44 are lower (6 being 17% average lower).
Aggie71013
AG
Think you have a fairly good case for unequal valuation if most are that much lower in appraised value.

I used that and HCAD's market comps against them last year. Think I got a nice appraiser, which helped but focused on how my house was worse than their comps.
TXTransplant
Diggity said:

Also, if HCAD wants to use the macro argument, I'll throw it right back at them.

There were four sales in my immediate 'hood (not my street, but the one directly north of me) with no pool between July and Sept last year. They are all > 3000 sq ft, but they sold for no more than $123, $135, $141, and $144 per sq ft. (don't know the exact sales price because I'm just using the HAR recently sold search, and it just gives a range). I'm at $150.
Diggity
AG
Would not think there is any harm in trying but you'll want to present some sort of "evidence", even if it's a surrounding neighborhood.

In my experience with online protests, they'll usually give you something just to shut you up, so worth a shot.
Aggie71013
AG
Have you calculated the dwelling cost per square ft? That should help your argument assuming lot sizes are similar across the various home sizes.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
TXTransplant said:

Diggity said:

Also, if HCAD wants to use the macro argument, I'll throw it right back at them.

There were four sales in my immediate 'hood (not my street, but the one directly north of me) with no pool between July and Sept last year. They are all > 3000 sq ft, but they sold for no more than $123, $135, $141, and $144 per sq ft. (don't know the exact sales price because I'm just using the HAR recently sold search, and it just gives a range). I'm at $150.
I've successfully challenged my value two years in a row using this argument and I didn't even have to use comps. I just compared my improvement $/ft^2 with 5 other similar homes in the area and showed where my $/ft^2 was higher than the other homes or had increased at a higher %age and was brought back down to the average in the first year and in the second was given a new valuation 10% lower than what they originally proposed. It took about 30 minutes worth of work in an Excel spreadsheet the first time and then even less the next year updating the spreadsheet.
Diggity
AG
Yep, the best way to protest is to know how they arrive at their values and to use their data against them. Hard to argue that.
CFTXAG10
AG
No change in 77536 but I think that is a product of me finally turning in the purchase price after they initially tried to increase my market value. Either way, I will take it. I started to dig through comps last year and I don't have a much of a case to fight when they finally do increase.
TXTransplant
So, I've already made that spreadsheet. They've got all the houses on my street valued at about the same price per sq ft. Low is $125, high is $169, and the average is $151. The low is a total outliers, and if you throw out the high and the low, the average is $152. I'm at $150.

Problem is, the houses in my HCAD neighborhood that have sold in the last 6 months that DON'T have a pool, all but one is >3000 sq ft. But the prices per sq ft that those houses sold for are much less than what mine is valued for. Nothing without a pool has sold for more than $148/sq ft. Others sold for no more than $123, $135, and $141.

I know when you're selling, there is a conventional belief that smaller houses sell for more per sq ft, but that logic shouldn't apply to HCAD valuations.

As far as lot size goes, that's a difficult argument to make. There are 3000+ sq ft homes on lots the same size or smaller than mine (7000 sq ft). Then there are other homes on cul de sacs or that back up to undeveloped space that are nearly double the size of mine. There are some adjustments for size, but I'm not sure that helps me. Also, my house backs up to the main subdivision road, but that doesn't seem to affect land value in HCAD's eyes.
aTm2004
AG
Aggie71013 said:

Think you have a fairly good case for unequal valuation if most are that much lower in appraised value.

I used that and HCAD's market comps against them last year. Think I got a nice appraiser, which helped but focused on how my house was worse than their comps.
I'm looking at just my street and it's starting to tick me off. 19 houses on my street with 14 of them being larger than mine. 11 have a lower price per sq/ft than me and each of them are more sq/ft. The only other house in this neighborhood that has the same floorplan as me is on my street. They have a larger lot and a pool, but their price per sq/ft is 12% lower than mine.
Diggity
AG
TXTransplant said:

I know when you're selling, there is a conventional belief that smaller houses sell for more per sq ft, but that logic shouldn't apply to HCAD valuations.

HCAD definitely takes the size into account with their valuations, so that logic does apply.

That's why you're best served using comps that are +/- 10%. Otherwise, they would want to adjust the comps.
TXTransplant
Diggity said:

TXTransplant said:

HCAD definitely takes the size into account with their valuations, so that logic does apply.

That's why you're best served using comps that are +/- 10%. Otherwise, they would want to adjust the comps.

Well, that's a bummer. But there are no comps from last year that are within +/- 10% of my square footage. Closest one is 2838, and it's one neighborhood over (but still in my HCAD 'hood). Rest are all over 3000.

Basically, they are using comps that are not equivalent to mine to justify the price increase on my house. It's clear from the 2020 data that in my 'hood it's the bigger houses with pools that go quickly and for a premium. And they are using that data to justify price increases on everyone, regardless of size and pool status.

On a side note, they've really limited how much you can type in that little box. And IIRC, in the past you could upload files in support of your argument. Can't do that now.
Diggity
AG
Someone more versed in the valuations process can add some color, but they should be adjusting your value based on the size factor as well. They should also add or subtract value for pools.

I remember you used to be able to upload docs. There must still be some process for that. Otherwise, how do you show them the settlement statement if you're protesting based on recent purchase price?
slavy06
AG
Is anyone on here a realtor that would be willing to provide me some recent sales comps that I can use as input for my protest? Or does anyone know a realtor that would be willing to do this for me? I have a somewhat unique situation regarding HCAD valuations where my house is located that I've successfully used for past protests but I'd like to get some recent comp data to see where I land relative to my 2021 market value.
cajunaggie08
AG
I'm in the Fort Bend part of the Katy area so not apples to apples but I'm only up 1.4%. It looks like I got off lucky
Guitarsoup
AG
Last year we refinanced so had to get an appraisal.

HCAD had me at 45k over the appraisal. The ARB board "Let's meet in the middle" and dropped it 20k.

So this year, HCAD jacks up my home value to 60k over the appraisal I had done in July. Mine is also 85K more than what the house directly across the street that sold last year, though there's is bigger with a pool.
agnerd
AG
They lowered me 7% for Harvey even though my neighborhood didn't flood. Kept it there until last year when I asked for 9% off for no good reason other than that's what I paid for it a decade ago, and they gave it to me without questioning it.

Market is up 19% for 2021, so I'm maxed at 10%, but I still feel like I'm getting away with something. Houses are averaging selling for about 15% above market. SHHH...nobody say anything.
TXTransplant
Diggity said:

Someone more versed in the valuations process can add some color, but they should be adjusting your value based on the size factor as well. They should also add or subtract value for pools.

I remember you used to be able to upload docs. There must still be some process for that. Otherwise, how do you show them the settlement statement if you're protesting based on recent purchase price?

So, the website is definitely different this year. One of the first things you have to do is select the basis for your protest. One of the options is "I have a settlement statement." Maybe if you select that, you get the option to upload something.

I just selected the generic "I think my value is too high" option, which took me to a text box that is limited to 700 characters. But, it doesn't count characters while you type, and it lets you type as much as you want. So, I got all the way to the end and was about to submit when I realize half of my explanation had been cut off. I went back a few pages and corrected it, but it's trial and error. I can see where plenty of people will submit not realizing half their argument is missing.

And unless I totally spaced out, I didn't see anywhere in my option to upload anything. I swear I've uploaded a spreadsheet or a pdf of comps in the past.
agnerd
AG
slavy06 said:

Is anyone on here a realtor that would be willing to provide me some recent sales comps that I can use as input for my protest? Or does anyone know a realtor that would be willing to do this for me? I have a somewhat unique situation regarding HCAD valuations where my house is located that I've successfully used for past protests but I'd like to get some recent comp data to see where I land relative to my 2021 market value.
If you file a protest, they will provide you the sales price for all homes that were reported to them that they are comparing you to. (People that paid above market often don't report, and you don't want that data anyway). I always file just to see the comps, and then you can decide if you want to continue the protest or not. Nothing the realtor won't give you unless you're trying to compares to something father away, which is an uphill battle.
Aggie71013
AG
Feel your pain. I'm up $90k from my purchase price in Dec. 2018. Market has not appreciated that much and I've made no major improvements.
The Wonderer
AG
I closed in 018 in December of last year on new construction.

HCAD can S my D if they think they are appraising for more than we paid.
aTm_bomb
AG
Jubally . com is really good about providing comps and walks through the process. I have used it successfully multiple times over the years. its $75 for the report and you can refresh until you finish your protest process. It usually goes down as others successfully protest their properties.
Echoes97
AG
77006 here.

Mine is weird this year, up just 1.6%. However, my land value went up 5.66%, and my House/Improvement went down 68.36%?? Seems jacked up, nothing was done plus or minus to the house this year, and it's old as crap. I don't think the valuation is super far off, just seemed weird with the proportions this time around.
Us And Them - The Pink Floyd Experience
http://www.usandthemband.net
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Full 10%

I will be fighting it, but I did add 800sqft and an extra room and bathroom, making my house a 4/3 now... and that's not represented, so I'll just let that ride...
agnerd
AG
Echoes97 said:

77006 here.

Mine is weird this year, up just 1.6%. However, my land value went up 5.66%, and my House/Improvement went down 68.36%?? Seems jacked up, nothing was done plus or minus to the house this year, and it's old as crap. I don't think the valuation is super far off, just seemed weird with the proportions this time around.
It's extremely difficult to protest the valuation of the land, much easier to protest the structure. So they're basically taking away your ability to protest and to lower your taxes, probably because rich people are paying exorbitant prices for tear down houses so they can build their mansions in a desirable area.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.