Houston
Sponsored by

HCAD 2021

29,414 Views | 321 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BSME83
Aggie71013
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That makes sense, but I like to get it out of the way. Don't like having it hanging over my head from April to August or September.
PPAag06
AG
What is the general consensus on who to use for protesting (other than myself)? I will not use O'Connor as they failed to file a protest on my behalf in a previous year. My house is already the lowest value on the whole block but since I received my full 10% I figured we should go through the motions. We live in Friendswood if it matters.
Mr.Bond
AG
PPAag06 said:

What is the general consensus on who to use for protesting (other than myself)? I will not use O'Connor as they failed to file a protest on my behalf in a previous year. My house is already the lowest value on the whole block but since I received my full 10% I figured we should go through the motions. We live in Friendswood if it matters.

Same and it pissed me off. I'm using Haidamous and Associates he's an Ag on here a few pages back
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

KDubAg
AG
nm
Sazerac
AG
I got my isettle back for 77079.
They dropped the market price $50k but the appraisal only $10k
Thinice
Mr.Bond said:

PPAag06 said:

Same and it pissed me off. I'm using Haidamous and Associates he's an Ag on here a few pages back

Haidamous and Associates Isn't taking new clients. Can anyone else suggest someone?
Mr.Bond
AG
Thinice said:

Mr.Bond said:

PPAag06 said:

Haidamous and Associates Isn't taking new clients. Can anyone else suggest someone?

Oh wow.....I honestly don't have a recommendation. Anyone else? I know deadline has to be fast approaching
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

sawemoffshort07
AG
I got an offer for ~$5k reduction but jubally says $46k. My informal is Friday afternoon
skiag
AG
Mine is still showing pending. Is this normal? Any idea what it means? Hopefully it doesn't mean I'm about to get roasted.
aTm2004
AG
They're looking for a legal loophole to raise it beyond the limit. T&P.
TAM85
Sawemoff, please let me know how your informal goes. I have an informal in a week. HCAD offered 32K, but Jubally says $97k.
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

Mine is still showing pending. Is this normal? Any idea what it means? Hopefully it doesn't mean I'm about to get roasted.
Click "nearby addresses". Have your neighbors been valuated?
HtownAg92
AG
Well, this is a first.

I gave an iFile suggested value of last year's number (after a $48k increase this year). I just got back their counter of $10k below my offered value.

AgLA06
AG
HtownAg92 said:

Well, this is a first.

I gave an iFile suggested value of last year's number (after a $48k increase this year). I just got back their counter of $10k below my offered value.

Can you copy past what you put in the ifile? I'd like to copy your strategy.

Tormentos
AG
Surprisingly I just got an iSettle offer matching my proposed amount. That's a shocker and certainly has never happened to me before in the 10 years I have been protesting. Roughly a $20K reduction in their 2021 appraisal value...zip 77079
Teddy Perkins
AG
How long ago did you submit your iFile with your proposed value? I just submitted mine on Monday and did the same thing.
Diggity
AG
apparently, the "typical" method for responding to iFile protests is higher value first. Not sure how accurate that is, but the crappy condo I protested has been sitting in their system for 6+ weeks..
aTm2004
AG
Teach us the way.
HtownAg92
AG
I wish I had some magic technique. I just put last year's value, checked that it was overmarket and mentioned "plumbing issues" in my details.

I filed mine April 16.
TXTransplant
I did iFile on March 18. Just asked them to lower it back to what it was last year. I've been successful with this approach a couple of previous times, but I have not heard back on this year's request, yet.
sawemoffshort07
AG
I am 6/6 using Jubally so far, hitting their number. So I am (cautiously) optimistic and hopeful this trend continues. 10 comps supporting, so should be quick I hope. My average once being called in is something like 12 minutes.
TXTransplant
Looks like my post summoned the HCAD gods. Got my isettle offer. It's $2200 more than what I asked for and $14k less than what they tried to raise it to, so I guess I'll accept.
IronRed13
AG
Well my ifile finally come back and they held the line on 10% increase in 77079. What's the name of the protest company y'all like again?
Diggity
AG
Got my down around 7.5% on our condo using iSettle. It was definitely overvalued but process was simple so I won't complain.
tylercsbn9
AG
Just submitted my protest. Hope the iSettle gods are kind.

They bumped me from 325-368 market. 358 appraisal. Jubally told me 342 although sales comps was 330 so I used that. If I get 335/340 I'll probably take it.
jaggiemaggie
AG
Got my isettle offer 77096... they dropped $14k so just a little more than 3% higher than last year protested 4/14
PoopKing
AG
Did not opt for isettle, but received an email proposal for settlement amount. This happen to anyone else?
Martin Q. Blank
PoopKing said:

Did not opt for isettle, but received an email proposal for settlement amount. This happen to anyone else?
I did. It was actually a really good offer so I took it.
neAGle96
AG
Montgomery county. Mine went up $65k over 2020.
neAGle96
AG
TXTransplant said:

Not a fan of state income tax, only because I've lived in several states where it all got squandered away and the state was perpetually broke. At least with property taxes, I kind of know where my money is going.

Seems like there could be some kind of decent compromise with property taxes, though. Either freeze them until the property sells again (and if the value has gone up significantly, a tax increase is justified) or maybe move to a model where houses are reappraised every 5 years, using an average of the comps sold during that time.

But this yearly model of increases, protests, values lowered, only to wash, rinse, repeat the next year is a huge waste of time and resources on both sides.

Let's at least make the CAD's job a little harder.

Didn't Abbott and Patrick run on limiting residential appraisals to a 3% annual cap when they initially ran for Governor and Lt Governor?
Bondag
AG
neAGle96 said:

TXTransplant said:

Not a fan of state income tax, only because I've lived in several states where it all got squandered away and the state was perpetually broke. At least with property taxes, I kind of know where my money is going.

Seems like there could be some kind of decent compromise with property taxes, though. Either freeze them until the property sells again (and if the value has gone up significantly, a tax increase is justified) or maybe move to a model where houses are reappraised every 5 years, using an average of the comps sold during that time.

But this yearly model of increases, protests, values lowered, only to wash, rinse, repeat the next year is a huge waste of time and resources on both sides.

Let's at least make the CAD's job a little harder.

Didn't Abbott and Patrick run on limiting residential appraisals to a 3% annual cap when they initially ran for Governor and Lt Governor?

They ran on percent increase of the tax itself.

So the CADs have to raise values.
TAM85
PoopKing said:

I got the email too. But still think the increase is too high and will go to the informal. I am not optimistic.
Big_Time_Timmy_Jim
protested and drove my market value down $41,634. Still over what I proposed, but don't see them budging any more. Prob going to iSettle.
Jackal99
AG
jaggiemaggie said:

Got my isettle offer 77096... they dropped $14k so just a little more than 3% higher than last year protested 4/14
Same zip code here. Going to do this now. What boxes did you check, etc? Just curious if there are any tips I can use for the same area.
sawemoffshort07
AG
TAM85, I had my informal today. Previously I said I was 6/6, but really 5-2/3 out of 6. There seems to be a certain similarity with that previous 2/3 informal and today. HCAD had $506k, I received an email offer for $501k a couple weeks ago that I ignored. Jubally had U&E (10 comps) at $494k and Comp. Market Analysis (3 comps) at $468k, so I took the CMA approach.

I gave him the number/packet and he then did some research and offered his number, $486k, take it or leave it (formal). He took the average of the 3 adjusted home values to derive his number. This essentially split the difference $506k to $468k. I tried to haggle, but he said this was his best offer. I took it, so not as great as I was hoping, but it is still progress.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.