Houston
Sponsored by

HLSR 2k20

64,654 Views | 483 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AGHouston11
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BBRex said:

I wonder if some of the performers might be wanting to back out?

Wouldn't happen if you had real performers who played good music.
wessimo
AG
Dr. Horrible said:

14 cases in the Houston area out of what, 3 million people? Stupid decision.

Could be that they decided to shut down because the official numbers are complete BS. The Houston lab has run maybe 75 tests since they went operational last week.
TREX01
Stock show is still up and running and checking in animals. Will be interesting to see what happens there
Boo Weekley
elfurioso92 said:

I would hope that they would still have the livestock show, just not the rodeo and carnival.
This...in my "idiotic, selfish post" I was primarily focused on the entertainment portion. Operating under the assumption that prize animals would still be sold etc. Would like to know more...
IceAg08
AG
So kpop closes the show?
Waltonloads08
AG
It's a charity event that raises money for scholarships, not a for profit concert series.

It's not my personal preference, but I get why they do it, and ultimately it's better for the kids to get more scholarships, no?
Boo Weekley
IceAg08 said:

So kpop closes the show?
Ilonic huh?
The Wonderer
AG
Boo Weekley said:

IceAg08 said:

So kpop closes the show?
Ilonic huh?
Boo Weekley
Waltonloads08 said:

It's a charity event that raises money for scholarships, not a for profit concert series.

It's not my personal preference, but I get why they do it, and ultimately it's better for the kids to get more scholarships, no?
Yep...if they really want to raise max money they could do ALL pop/latino/rap/R&B...I think eventually this is where we end up. Maybe with 1 (2 max) designated nights for country music. Instead of the other way around like it used to be.
I Am A Critic
Boo Weekley said:

I hate to be "that guy", but I am kind of glad this is happening. Selfishly, I hope it knocks HLSR down a peg or two. As someone who would like to see more Cody Jinks and Jamey Johnson type acts and fewer homo erotic K-pop bands and Bad Bunny wannabes.

And we all get spared Lizzo's fat naked body! This is great for everyone.

I really do feel bad for the volunteers etc. But maybe we can go back to having badass country and classic rock acts and one day for the Tejanos.
For someone who hates to be "that guy", you sure are "that guy" pretty often. I hope you're not the insufferable, narrowminded, bigoted ******* in person that you are online. You must be pretty miserable.
Username checks out.
Boo Weekley
I Am A Critic said:

Boo Weekley said:

I hate to be "that guy", but I am kind of glad this is happening. Selfishly, I hope it knocks HLSR down a peg or two. As someone who would like to see more Cody Jinks and Jamey Johnson type acts and fewer homo erotic K-pop bands and Bad Bunny wannabes.

And we all get spared Lizzo's fat naked body! This is great for everyone.

I really do feel bad for the volunteers etc. But maybe we can go back to having badass country and classic rock acts and one day for the Tejanos.
For someone who hates to be "that guy", you sure are "that guy" pretty often. I hope you're not the insufferable, narrowminded, bigoted ******* in person that you are online. You must be pretty miserable.
LOL

Goodness, your life partner must be miserable.
dshedd41
S

Gig’em Aggies!
Waltonloads08
AG
Boo Weekley said:

Waltonloads08 said:

Yep...if they really want to raise max money they could do ALL pop/latino/rap/R&B...I think eventually this is where we end up. Maybe with 1 (2 max) designated nights for country music. Instead of the other way around like it used to be.

I think it's smart to not oversaturate with one genre, and overall attendance reflects the benefits of mixing it up. You are looking at it from a musical purist prospective, and I from a revenue maximization prospective. Sure it's weird that EDM has a night, but weird is what sells, not lining up singer after singer crooning about beer and his gal (Im a big country fan, so just making fun of myself too here).
tk for tu juan
Is it too late to recall the Mayoral election? Single case of community spread in a separate county to declare a health emergency?
CFTXAG10
AG
So how much money does the city and county get for these emergency declarations?!
tk for tu juan
aTm2004
AG
Forced to shut down by the city.

https://www.rodeohouston.com/2020

Quote:

In the interest of public health, the City of Houston and the Houston Health Department have ordered the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo to close. The Rodeo will respectfully and dutifully comply with the City's order.

The Rodeo is deeply saddened; however, the safety and well-being of our guests and our community is our top priority. Out of precaution, the City has decided that this is the best course of action for our community.

The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo has been a fabric of this community since 1932. Having to close early is extremely difficult as guests, volunteers, exhibitors, rodeo athletes and entertainers look forward to the 20 days of the Rodeo each year.

We look forward to the 2021 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo to continue to promote agriculture, education, entertainment and Western heritage. We will provide additional information as it becomes available. Updates will be posted at rodeohouston.com/2020.
H-town ag
AG
aTm2004 said:

Forced to shut down by the city.

https://www.rodeohouston.com/2020

Quote:

In the interest of public health, the City of Houston and the Houston Health Department have ordered the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo to close. The Rodeo will respectfully and dutifully comply with the City's order.

The Rodeo is deeply saddened; however, the safety and well-being of our guests and our community is our top priority. Out of precaution, the City has decided that this is the best course of action for our community.

The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo has been a fabric of this community since 1932. Having to close early is extremely difficult as guests, volunteers, exhibitors, rodeo athletes and entertainers look forward to the 20 days of the Rodeo each year.

We look forward to the 2021 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo to continue to promote agriculture, education, entertainment and Western heritage. We will provide additional information as it becomes available. Updates will be posted at rodeohouston.com/2020.

Yes, very clear this was not the intent of HLSR. This was a City decision.
jschroeder
Has anybody said specifically that the livestock show, specifically the steer show, part is shut down as well?
aTm2004
AG
I'd imagine Lina "My Eyes Are Up Here" Hildago and Sylvester "Mitchelow Ultra" Turner forced it all. Good job Beta *******, you elected fear mongering asshats who go off of feels.
The Wonderer
AG
jschroeder said:

Has anybody said specifically that the livestock show, specifically the steer show, part is shut down as well?
All public events will cease on grounds effective 4pm today.
cajunaggie08
AG
It is now being reported that one of the current local people with the virus was at the BBQ cookoff friday night
CFTXAG10
AG
So the Montgomery county guy who tested positive was at cook off on Feb. 28th ?
MelvinUdall
elfurioso92 said:

I would hope that they would still have the livestock show, just not the rodeo and carnival.

I sure hope they still have the Livestock Show, my daughter is showing an animal this weekend. She has worked her ass off for this to be shutdown, I don't care if she has to show in an empty arena, but she has earned that right to show her animal.
wessimo
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

It is now being reported that one of the current local people with the virus was at the BBQ cookoff friday night

Source?
aTm2004
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

Tells me he didn't Rodeo Cookoff the right way if the virus survived.
Teddy Perkins
AG
MelvinUdall said:

elfurioso92 said:

I sure hope they still have the Livestock Show, my daughter is showing an animal this weekend. She has worked her ass off for this to be shutdown, I don't care if she has to show in an empty arena, but she has earned that right to show her animal.
Afraid the livestock show is also being forced to close.

Go to the -22min mark to hear from the Rodeo spokesman.

Quote:

Re: scholarships: they will be fulfilling annual contribution and commitment to youth and education.
Anti-taxxer
AG
Can they seriously not hold the livestock show somewhere else??? Carnival, vendors, and concerts aside, the stock show is the reason for the whole thing! Those kids and their families have spent THOUSANDS of dollars on their animals.
jschroeder
Extension agents are telling kids it is cancelled.

**** people griping about rodeo ticket refunds. Those kids are absolutely screwed.
Caliber
AG
His quote basically " We do have livestock and horse shows ongoing that will be winding down today as well."
cajunaggie08
AG
wessimo said:

cajunaggie08 said:

Source?
https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/health-science/coronavirus/2020/03/11/363417/houston-rodeo-cancels-remaining-dates-amid-coronavirus-health-emergency/

Quote:

Turner added that one of the unidentified people diagnosed with the coronavirus had attended the rodeo barbecue cookoff on Feb. 28, but it was not immediately clear if he had symptoms of the virus at the time. Health officials were trying to reach anyone the man may have had contact with
MelvinUdall
Teddy Perkins said:

MelvinUdall said:

elfurioso92 said:

Afraid the livestock show is also being forced to close.

Go to the -22min mark to hear from the Rodeo spokesman.

Quote:

Re: scholarships: they will be fulfilling annual contribution and commitment to youth and education.

That's a damn shame, I would hope they could pivot and find a place outside of the city where they could show their animals.
ChemAg15
AG
What a joke. Shutting down rodeo over the sniffles. I can only assume it is in Mayor Turner's best financial interest to shut down the rodeo since that is the only way he knows how to make decisions. The only questions I have are who is paying him and why?
Ag_07
AG
It's not about location.

It's about the gathering of lots of people.
MelvinUdall
Ag_07 said:

It's not about location.

It's about the gathering of lots of people.

I understand, the City has shut it down, but they could do it outside of the city and limit the number of people that can attend. I am not asking for thousands of people to be around, I am asking for limited amount of people to attend and allow these kids to show off what they have accomplished.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.