Houston
Sponsored by

***2018 HLSR thread***

30,117 Views | 290 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Jasomania
Ducks4brkfast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The sound/acuoustics tonight were the best I've heard at HLSR.
n_touch
I was shocked with how well the sound was tonight verse all other shows I have been to. Hopefully the got it figured out finally. I was kind of dreading tonight due to the sound.

I will say that I dont think they were ready tonight or it was more than they expected. Parking was worse than I have dealt with in past years. Luckily our line at the gate wasnt as bad as others.

Concert was great and did get a laugh at his rules comment at the start of the show.
BoxingAg84
The carnival hasn't been the same since they took away the insult clown dunk booth back in the late 90s. Ahh...the good old days.

YellAg2004
AG
So after the CF at the gate, Garth played a great show. Not sure you could expect much more from an HLSR concert.

Now after the show, we went back to the Rodeo Express tent to catch our bus back to the OST lot. Our driver then proceeded to drive us to the Reed Road lot. After he turned on Almeda, I went to the front of the bus and asked him where he was taking us. When he told me Reed Road, I told him he was wrong. He wasn't too pleased.

So our bus got a 30 min. tour of the area around NRG/the Med Center. So we got home around midnight. I'll gladly sit in traffic trying to get out of a parking lot over trusting that process again.

I've been to the rodeo enough times to know that was an outlier of an experience, but damn if it didn't seem like amateur hour all around for HLSR yesterday.
DrZ
AG
Parking was horrible. We were in the green lot and sat forever. Once we left the lot things weren't much better. I couldn't really pin point a specific choke point it just was gridlock.

The ticket line to get in was insane. We had gone early to walk around. Decided to get in and eat in NRG. Went to the line at 5:45 for a 6:45 rodeo start. We sat down at 7:15. There were people who did not get in the stadium until after 8:30 and had been standing in line for 2 hours. At our gate the scanners were not working properly. There were no supervisors to be seen. This was a fixable problem. This was the second time to scan our tickets. First one was the gate into the grounds, no problem. Then scan again at the stadium. Lines were not orderly. People cutting everywhere.

The concert however was fantastic. Great sound. Great show.
reedsterg
AG
$160 for the 4 Leon Bridges tickets with the parking pass. We could do the whole transaction electronically if it wasn't for the parking pass. Those are hard passes only, so you'd have to meet to pick it up.
MAROON
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

Garth played about an hour. Normal rodeo concert length.

And that's why Dwight Yoakam's appearance at the rodeo will always be the best. He basically just said screw it I'm playing all night. Rodeo brass was pissed but the fans got a full concert
DrZ
AG
I wondered why Dwight Yoakum hasn't been here in 14 years. Now i know.
StillNotAnAggie
Awesome, thanks, let me check if the wife still wants to go and I will let you know.
BigPuma
AG
4 tickets for Leon Bridges March 2nd Sec 132 Row JJ Seats 22-25

Includes Blue Lot Parking Pass
Face Value $138 (inclusive of parking)
Post removed:
by user
David_Puddy
AG
Badass show last night.....just a shame it was a) only an hour (as expected) & b) that I didn't get to hear my favorite of his - Much Too Young to Feel This Damn Old.
texagpilot
AG
Sound was better last night. I think all the black acoustical blankets drooped over the roof structure inside was the fix.
Mr.Bond
AG
texagpilot said:

Sound was better last night. I think all the black acoustical blankets drooped over the roof structure inside was the fix.

Had these last year no?
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

98Ag99Grad
AG
Quote:

The ticket line to get in was insane. We had gone early to walk around. Decided to get in and eat in NRG. Went to the line at 5:45 for a 6:45 rodeo start. We sat down at 7:15. There were people who did not get in the stadium until after 8:30 and had been standing in line for 2 hours. At our gate the scanners were not working properly. There were no supervisors to be seen. This was a fixable problem. This was the second time to scan our tickets. First one was the gate into the grounds, no problem. Then scan again at the stadium. Lines were not orderly. People cutting everywhere.
This sounds awful. See any fights break-out?
Dr. Horrible
Crazy stories from last night...

If the foodie awards is your thing, they did it earlier this year. Definitely new things on the list after seeing some of the winners repeated the last few years...
https://www.click2houston.com/news/houston-livestock-show-and-rodeo-gold-buckle-foodie-awards-announced
TXAG 05
AG
DrZ said:

Parking was horrible. We were in the green lot and sat forever. Once we left the lot things weren't much better. I couldn't really pin point a specific choke point it just was gridlock.

The concert however was fantastic. Great sound. Great show.

Always avoid BHP gate for the big shows. That one always gets slammed because it gets all the people coming from the wine garden, food tents and center. Went in Amegy gate last night and it took 5-10 minutes to get in.
StEdsCOOG
David_Puddy said:

Badass show last night.....just a shame it was a) only an hour (as expected) & b) that I didn't get to hear my favorite of his - Much Too Young to Feel This Damn Old.
Same here. I was really disappointed that he didn't sing it and instead we got to hear that pina colada bulls###.
Betoisafurry
?itemid=7445379
Post removed:
by user
Liquid Wrench
Not sure how accurate it is, but SetList has the...set list for just about every show ever.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/garth-brooks/2018/nrg-stadium-houston-tx-1bee41dc.html
Z100
AG
Green lot last night was terrible. 50 minutes from the time we started the car to the time we hit main street. All the taxi/ride share drivers were coming up Murworth towards NRG in 3 lanes leaving 1 lane for those exiting the green lot that took murworth to main. The officers working the intersection on Lantern Point and Murworth acted like they had never done large event traffic control before. If you use the Green lot, the lanes that exit to the left on lantern point towards westridge appeared to move better.

TLDNR: Show was great. No line to get in the Xfinity gate. Traffic after sucked bad.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

All the taxi/ride share drivers were coming up Murworth towards NRG in 3 lanes leaving 1 lane for those exiting the green lot that took murworth to main.
The dream of ridesharing apps reducing congestion is a joke for big events like this.

I screwed up and got caught up in the **** show on the West bound feeder b/w Fannin and Main Saturday. The number of idiots wading through traffic - both arriving and getting into Ubers - was astounding. I actually saw groups walking down the Kirby exit ramp.
CATAGBQ04
AG
Sounds like typical first night CFing
Liquid Wrench
They actually worked "excitement for the new stage" into the spin.
David_Puddy
AG
StEdsCOOG said:

David_Puddy said:

Same here. I was really disappointed that he didn't sing it and instead we got to hear that pina colada bulls###.

Especially since that song is specifically about the rodeo life. I imagine he'll sing it at the closing show.
Diggity
AG
He admits that he stole much of his act from Chris LeDoux, so he should give him some love at the finals.
Fall92
AG
Went last night. Parked in Yellow lot. No issues getting in or out of the stadium or parking lot. Entered on the West Club side.
Fall92
AG
PS: Chris Ledoux.
Your Friend
David_Puddy said:

Did you catch him a couple years ago at the Toyota center? He played all the hits, it was great
AustinCountyAg
Your Friend said:

David_Puddy said:

Did you catch him a couple years ago at the Toyota center? He played all the hits, it was great
THIS^^^^ we saw him there and after that show I knew better than to overpay for a Rodeo concert that would only last an hour. All that would do for me is just piss me off. He was great at TC a couple years back. Pretty sure he played about 2 1/2 hours at least IIRC
David_Puddy
AG
Your Friend said:

David_Puddy said:

Hang yourself, weirdo
TXAG 05
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Your Friend said:

David_Puddy said:

THIS^^^^ we saw him there and after that show I knew better than to overpay for a Rodeo concert that would only last an hour. All that would do for me is just piss me off. He was great at TC a couple years back. Pretty sure he played about 2 1/2 hours at least IIRC

Overpay? I got my $18 worth.
DrZ
AG
According to setlist.fm at Toyota in 2015 - 26 songs were sung. I duet with him and Trisha Yearwood and 5 solos by her. So he sang 20 songs. Tuesday night he sang 13.
Personally I am glad she didn't sing. Not really that much difference.
spadilly
S
Those 10:30 shows he did at Toyota Center were fantastic a few years ago.
Wouldn't mind seeing him close out the rodeo this year. I'm assuming he'll play longer than he did Tuesday since it's a Sunday.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.