Houston
Sponsored by

Anyone else getting screwed on car and home insurance?

70,794 Views | 314 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by aTmLoKi
Ridge14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nm
Sazerac
AG
20% increase for the renewal next month.
TexasStone
Good experience over with Goosehead with Casey and Zayne, ended up saving some money on home insurance policy.
suburban cowboy
AG
25% increase on my vehicle insurance this cycle
HtownAg94
AG
I just moved over to Goosehead Insurance. I got Casey's info from this thread which got me over to Grace Johnson who did a fantastic job of finding the best fit/price insurance for my auto/home/RV.

Saved me over $1000/yr.

grace.johnson at goosehead dot com

B Team Captain
AG
Just got quotes from Goosehead and Branch was the lowest cost provider as a packaged deal. Does anyone have experience with Branch from a claims/customer service perspective?
75AG
AG
Goosehead Insurance has the worst customer service I have ever encountered. 4-5 hour waits on the phone. Same for chats. And just try to get a response via email. All that said, they saved me $4000 on home, RV, and 3 cars in year 1. It's a bait and switch because we're getting boned in year two. I'd search for someone, anyone, else.
AW 1880
AG
My insurance company increased my homeowners premium by 20%. I called and said that I had quotes from other companies that were 25% less for the exact same coverages and deductibles. I had to talk to a couple of different people but ended up 33% cheaper than what they had originally proposed. You have to hold to the coverages and deductibles or they will increase your deductible and coverage, and then decrease your premium.
Sea Speed
AG
My TWIA policy jumped by EIGHTY FREAKING FIVE percent. I'm furious. They upped the replacement cost of my home 10 percent, no biggie, but that premium increase is INSANE. Anyone know a way around this? I have Liere and they told me I can not get private windstorm. Is that true? This is just an absurd increase.
94chem
TexasStone said:

Good experience over with Goosehead with Casey and Zayne, ended up saving some money on home insurance policy.

Glad to hear that. And yeah, as a later poster mentioned, their hold times have increased a lot. Emailing your agent is probably the best option. With 4 cars, 3 houses, and 2 RV's, the one stop shopping and the rates have been worth it for me.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
case04
AG
where are you located? There are some carriers that will do it all on one policy.
DiskoTroop
I just transitioned to AllState after 12 years with State Farm (auto) and 4 years with Goosehead/BH Guard (homeowners). They saved me ~$1000 a year. I had a 40% hike in auto in September. Stated the shopping and eventually ended up with AllState.
aarontx
Was looking at a 31% increase overall in home, auto, and umbrella with Safeco. Goosehead reshopped for me and ended up saving me quite a bit. Very quick and easy process.
Ramrod
AG
Just switched over to Goosehead for our new home, and switched auto in the process. Home policy was more, which was to be expected with the change in home; but ended up saving $800 alone on auto insurance for the year. Grace Graham got us taken care of.
HistoryAg
Does Goosehead charge a fee for reshops? I know they have a fee for new home & auto policies but someone told me they are now charging current customers to reshop their policies.
Sazerac
AG
Just got my renewal from $2k to $4.2k and Goosehead can't do better.

Anyone having luck with anyone recently?
Aggie71013
AG
Got hit again. 34% increase with USAA. Up 268% since I bought the house 5 years ago. This is not sustainable.
Nitro Power
AG
I got popped 58%...shopping it now
Cibalo
We were with Goosehead for a few years. This year home went up 3x what it was 2 years ago. Their reshopping agent was useless and just increased the deductible and lowered the replacement cost to reduct the premium.

We went with https://www.thegibraltargrp.com/insurance-agents/jay-morrow-0052e00000kembcqan

He got us more coverage for what we were paying 2 years ago when we bought the house.
htxag09
AG
Cibalo said:

We were with Goosehead for a few years. This year home went up 3x what it was 2 years ago. Their reshopping agent was useless and just increased the deductible and lowered the replacement cost to reduct the premium.

We went with https://www.thegibraltargrp.com/insurance-agents/jay-morrow-0052e00000kembcqan

He got us more coverage for what we were paying 2 years ago when we bought the house.
What provider?

Obviously different providers will be cheaper than others, but with the increases in the last two years it just seems crazy someone is at the same rates.

FWIW, we also switched from Goosehead. Were only with them for a year. Premiums went up, they had to shop around, didn't want to pay their fee again so reached back out to Liere. They offered to waive it, but not going to play that game every year, just don't charge it.
texasaggie2015
AG
I have State Farm. Mine went up a TON. Almost 40%.
Cibalo
Swyfft is who we wrote with.
A lot depends on value of the house and location.

Our supplemental flood carrier wrote us saying they weren't writing or renewing policies in Harris County. Same with some home owner insurance companies.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Homeowner's premium renewal came in at a 60% increase. My broker said that carrier is the only one they work with (they work with lots) that is covering Houston-area homes.
TexAg2001
AG
I'm with Amica since 2008.

My homeowner's renewed in January and, shockingly, it decreased by about 15%. Last year it went up by much more than that, so I'm still paying more than I was a couple years ago, but I was still shocked that it went down.

I bundle car and home insurance and my car insurance also went down by around 25% (after a huge increase last year).
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

Homeowner's premium renewal came in at a 60% increase. My broker said that carrier is the only one they work with (they work with lots) that is covering Houston-area homes.

Mine renewed at 89% increase. Shopped it with Liere and even shopped someone against them. No luck, was my only option. This was after a big 50% increase a few years ago. Beating.. so many companies pulling out of Texas market or just not renewing because of their risk assessments for the area growing so much.
redag06
Same but mine went up 96%
Ducks4brkfast
AG
TitanAGGIE09 said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

Mine renewed at 89% increase. Shopped it with Liere and even shopped someone against them. No luck, was my only option. This was after a big 50% increase a few years ago. Beating.. so many companies pulling out of Texas market or just not renewing because of their risk assessments for the area growing so much.
I reached out to the guy at The Gibraltar Group mentioned above and he returned two option about 42% cheaper than the one option I was given with my current broker.
jna97
AG
Liere shopped mine and it still went up 60% this month. I got no real reason other than everything in Harris county is going up.
CDUB98
AG
DAMMITT, not again.
Sea Speed
AG
I got about 10% increases on my 2 rentals in the bay area through liere. Also issues with companies not writing policies. I'm so sick of getting squeezed
randy828
AG
Wow, I was feeling ticked off until I searched and found this thread. My homeowners insurance is increasing a little over 14% . I am with State Farm and I bundle my two cars with them also. Been with my agent (who is the dad of one of my best friend) for car insurance since I could drive in 1986 and always had either home or renter's insurance with him since about 1996.

Guess after reading this and the response I got from his office, they are in line with what you guys are saying...so I guess I might stay put and take it in the arse again.

FYI -
Quote:

Hope you and family are doing well. I wanted to address our recent rate increases. Inflation and claims have heavily hit the auto and home insurance industry. In the past, a windshield could be replaced for $300. Now with the electronics in windshields, replacement cost is $3200. What use to be a $2500 collision claim is now $7000. To replace a totaled $20,000 vehicle is $29,000. The same increases apply to homes. Also, the reinsurance industry has left Texas and many other states. This has caused all companies to rely on their liquid cash flow to meet required reserves for claims or lose their license to operate. This has caused many small insurance companies to stop writing new business and non-renew a percentage of their book of business just to meet financial requirements to the insurance commission. These companies didn't have the require dollars to pay claims. By June of 2024, I think it will be difficult for a person to get an auto or home policy with proper coverages. The high risk auto companies will only sale minimum liability limits of 30/60/25 which means a major at fault claim could be a financial disaster.
State Farm is financially strong, but steps are being taken to protect our policyholders and ensure them we will be able to meet their insurance needs. We have stop writing business in certain areas of Texas. A domino effect has started as other companies are doing the same.

As you know, It's not just the insurance industry that's being effected by inflation. Unless inflation can be stopped, you will see a continuance of rate increases in the insurance industry, no matter which company is in business.

Ducks4brkfast
AG
$3,200 for a windshield? He's gaslighting you.
Aggie71013
AG
Inflation is also down to like 3%. The insurance companies have to catch up and there are issues with companies not writing policies in Texas, but that can't be an excuse for continued policy increases in the 20%+ range.
CDUB98
AG
Insurance rates don't give a damn about inflation.
cajunaggie08
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

$3,200 for a windshield? He's gaslighting you.
Plus what he's describing isn't inflation. Inflation is when the same thing just plain costs more. Cars have gotten way more electronics in them than ever before so what used to be a simple bumper swap now involves swapping out a bumper that has 4 to 6 electronic sensors in them. So yea, its still a bumper or a windshield, but it comes with way more cost than before. Now if the shop is charging $3,500 to swap out a windshield that normally costs $1200, that still isn't inflation. Thats just straight up price gouging and the 22-year old recent college grad that is working as the adjustor needs to push back but he isn't paid enough or experienced enough to care.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.