Houston
Sponsored by

Anyone else getting screwed on car and home insurance?

70,798 Views | 314 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by aTmLoKi
lunchbox
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am a Liere customer but I do contact various companies directly myself when shopping around. Last year, when I did it, I wasn't able to find one from companies that were recommended to me (and not the ones that send me mailings that say they can insure my house for $325) that beat the price that Liere presented.

This year, I will do the same thing.
agnatgas
AG
Quote:

Insurance business is pretty good. required by law for most to buy and then they can recoup any "losses" by charging higher prices. captured market with very little risk. very nice
And you get cash up front
bthobig12
AG
I work with Goosehead Insurance here in Houston (the corporate office off of 290). If you are planning on looking around, give us a shot. We are an independent agency, so we will shop the market to find you the most competitive option.

Most carriers are seeing rate increases this year, but not all of them.

If you want me to have a member of my team reach out, just shoot me an email at jared.sinclair@goosehead.com and we will get the process started.
94chem
I'm a goosehead customer. Just called them today to hunt down hypothetical info for adding a teen driver. Next week they'll call me back with some quotes. Why should I do that legwork? Highly recommend them.
E
AG
Was it liberty mutual? They did the same thing! They wanted to go up to $210 for a paid off Dodge Ram at 30/60!

My brother switched and I went to Farmers. Gonna save $1k on home and over $1k on auto with better coverage.
Ragoo
AG
Why do you think Warren Buffet owns so many insurance companies? He gets monthly cash flow premium and gets to turn around and reinvest that float in other investments.
howdydamnit04
AG
Dr. Nefario said:

Switched to Geico from Liberty Mutual for both home and auto about four months ago and cut both rates in half.

Did the same and had massive savings on my 2 rentals, personal house, and cars. Felt pretty bad when I realized LM had been tooling me for years.
DavidAg02
E said:

Was it liberty mutual? They did the same thing! They wanted to go up to $210 for a paid off Dodge Ram at 30/60!

My brother switched and I went to Farmers. Gonna save $1k on home and over $1k on auto with better coverage.
Yes! Screw LM... we are out!
David Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2002! Whoop! Houston, TX
Dr. Nefario
howdydamnit04 said:

Dr. Nefario said:

Switched to Geico from Liberty Mutual for both home and auto about four months ago and cut both rates in half.

Did the same and had massive savings on my 2 rentals, personal house, and cars. Felt pretty bad when I realized LM had been tooling me for years.

When I called to cancel they just pissed me off even more. They said I could have gotten a "re-quote" that would have brought down my rate by about 30% for the same coverage. WTF? They just raised my rate. Why were they raising my rate when it should be lower? I told her I didn't want to do business with a company that couldn't figure out how much they should be charging their customers.
Worm01
AG
Got my renewals this week. Homeowner's went up 20%, Auto went up 30%!! So, essentially my Tax savings from the new tax bill go straight to the insurance companies. Awesome.
bthobig12
AG
Shoot me an email, my team will be in the office today and tomorrow and we would love to take a look at your portfolio.

jared.sinclair@goosehead.com

Thanks.
MAROON
AG
MAROON said:

I use Chubb for both house and cars. Their car insurance rates are high, but they will actually insure your house a reasonable rebuild value. Farmers would not - I think they maxed out at like $100/sf which is not sufficient to rebuild. Starting discussing with most of my attorney friends - they all use Chubb because they tend to actually pay claims and not screw people (their opinion from years of defending and suing insurance companies).
just wanted to roll back to this. Have a friend with a house in Key Allegro at Rockport. During Harvey his neighbors roof flew off and tore a hole in his roof so he got a ton of water damage. He told me his house was the first house in Key Allegro where they actually started rebuilding. His insurance company? Chubb.

He said Chubb was in fast, packed up all his furniture and trucked it to a storage facility in SA, and completed his claim within days.

If you have a dwelling which has significant value, you really have to consider Chubb.
tamuags08
AG
All this talk about great customer service is starting to give me a chub.
BearJew13
AG
Use Hotchkiss for all of our business and personal policies (about a dozen or so). They do a great job getting shopping and steering the underwriters. PM me if interested.
idAg09
Goosehead worked out great for us. Run the numbers.
62strat
AG
Boo Weekley said:

If I can just save $1 I am going to change providers. Not much better feeling than telling insurance company or cable provider to take a hike after rate increases. You wanted $500? F*** YOU, you're not getting it, and on top of that I'm taking thousands of dollars, that you would have received, to a competitor of yours.
when this happens to me, I always take my travelers checks to a competing resort. Good for you.
Patentmike
AG
Boo Weekley said:

This "share the cost" stuff is BS imo. Some of us made sure to purchase homes/cars that would never flood. Sucks that we are penalized because others either made less wise decisions or were unfortunate. We busted our asses for weeks/months after the storm to help various people who had been flooded, saving them thousands and thousands of dollars. Many of us donated more than chump change to the relief efforts as well. Now we're forced to "pay our fair share"? Sucks.

Luckily it's not back breaking by any means for most people, but...

Harvey wasn't just flood. There were thousands of windstorm claims as well.
PatentMike, J.D.
BS Biochem
MS Molecular Virology

Worm01
AG
Michael Barnhart said:

Boo Weekley said:

This "share the cost" stuff is BS imo. Some of us made sure to purchase homes/cars that would never flood. Sucks that we are penalized because others either made less wise decisions or were unfortunate. We busted our asses for weeks/months after the storm to help various people who had been flooded, saving them thousands and thousands of dollars. Many of us donated more than chump change to the relief efforts as well. Now we're forced to "pay our fair share"? Sucks.

Luckily it's not back breaking by any means for most people, but...

Harvey wasn't just flood. There were thousands of windstorm claims as well.
I had a couple of agents tell me that Homeowner's rates shouldn't be affected much because there were relatively few homeowner's claims compared to flood claims. Some, but not a lot more than any normal year.
Worm01
AG
Also, FWIW, Goosehead hooked me up! Got me rates even better than I was paying last year. Saved me over $1500 this year.
AlaskanAg99
AG
We mortgage through Chase and insure through USAA...just received the updated impound account info and it looks like our home insurance went up $210/yr. Not that bad.
bthobig12
AG
Depends on how much you were already paying.

Shoot me an email, my team will be in the office tomorrow and we would love to take a look at your portfolio. You never know until you shop around, the worst thing we can tell you is that you are already in a good place.

Thanks.
bthobig12
AG
Happy to hear Casey was able to help you out, Worm!
bthobig12
AG
Speaking of, we write for Chubb.
94chem
Just got my homeowner's renewed for my flooded home. Rate went down about 3% due to no claims.IOW, flooding isn't an excuse for homeowner rates to rise.
Bassmaster
AG
Just got my homeowner's renewal with Amica. $700 increase.
Oknows
AG
Just switched both. Dropped to liability on one vehicle, but got better homeowner's coverage. Saved $2400 a year. Been getting bent over apparently.
AGHouston11
AG
Just switch also and saved a lot With better coverage.. Had been with Allstate for many years.
IronMan92
AG
I just switched auto and home and saved $500/year, after fees. Thanks Casey.
Ironman92
bthobig12
AG
Happy to hear Casey took care of you, IronMan92.

If anyone else is interested in shopping your rates, please reach out and let me know. The office will be working late all week pushing for a May goal hit, so I know they would appreciate the opportunity!

Duckhook
AG
This didn't just affect you guys in the Houston area. I'm in the Valley. Not in a flood zone, but inland Cameron County. My flood insurance has always been $350-375. My agent just sent me a quote from the flood insurer I have had for 9 years where it is going up to $1,725. Luckily they have another option for me at $425.
HECUBUS
AG
We got hit by the Bastrop fires on the home and somehow 911 tripled our boat slip insurance on Lake Travis.

Insurance is like government. We all pay for everyone else.
Bassmaster
AG
Casey fixed me up too. Ended up with a slight increase from last year ($200), but saved $500 from what Amica was quoting for my renewal.
Mr07Ag
AG
Casey helped me out as well. Saved about $400 over what I had with Allstate and got better coverage.
htxag09
AG
Duckhook said:

This didn't just affect you guys in the Houston area. I'm in the Valley. Not in a flood zone, but inland Cameron County. My flood insurance has always been $350-375. My agent just sent me a quote from the flood insurer I have had for 9 years where it is going up to $1,725. Luckily they have another option for me at $425.

I'm confused by this....Isn't there only one place to get flood insurance and the government sets the rate based on flood plane? I mean, I guess you can lower your rate by lowering contents, but my understanding is you can't shop around for a different rate.
bthobig12
AG
There are private flood insurance providers as well. Usually they aren't as competitive as the NFIP, but it all depends on where you are located. We write a lot of business in Virginia Beach as well, and in that market, it is almost 100% private flood insurance providers that we are using.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.