Houston
Sponsored by

*** Official Houston Beer Thread ***

76,197 Views | 1696 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by wessimo
BBRex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Petrol Station guys just showed up at Hay Merchant. Interesting night.
rschoelman
AG
Thread Relevant.

http://vimeo.com/38527325

http://vimeo.com/38581012

http://vimeo.com/38649844
spadilly
S
Rogue Voodo bombers at bunker hill HEB
jetch17
AG
Hmmm heard some were coming to TX

Honestly, I'm not gonna jimp to get another one
jetch17
AG
booya!

quote:
Greetings and congratulations to you, CABbies! This email guarantees you an invitation to City Acre's April Ale Thrill Tasting Event

quote:
We've ratcheted up the beers available, and will be sampling FIVE of our favorite ales that we've brewed up for your tasting pleasure. Our Girl From IPAnema India Pale Ale has been tweaked to (in our opinion) perfection, the Fermette de Saison, a favorite at FeBREWary, has also been shined up and ready. Brace yourself for our Strong Golden Ale; This one clocks in at a whopping 10.5% ABV, so you'll definitely want to fortify yourself with brunch, CAB style. Not to mention two surprise ales for you to learn about the day of the event.

[This message has been edited by jetch17 (edited 3/19/2012 7:44p).]
BSD
AG
Booya indeed, Jetch. Booya indeed.
jetch17
AG
Saint Arnold Spring Bock tastes like water after slamming a couple Hopadillos.

I also poured a half a Spring Bock into a half-hopadillo for sh*ts (thus creating a Bockadillo)... it was not mind blowing, just merely added some flavor to the Saint A
jh0400
AG
I had a few Hopadillos at happy hour last night, and followed that with an 1836. The 1836 was good, but it would be better if I didn't have to go to a bar to get it.
jetch17
AG
had about 6 left at lunch for you Voodoo seekers

jetch17
AG
and i may be late to the party, but you Facebook folk can follow HEB bunker hills beer selection at "Bunker Hill Beer"

He said they will post up special shipments & arrivals via that page that may not be on shelves.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Had a sixer of the Rahr Spring Bock. I enjoyed it quite a bit. St. A Spring Bock is still my favorite beer, but the Rahr was pretty good.
sts7049
AG
holy moly, 13 dollars? better be one tasty beer
jetch17
AG
its not really
gordo97
AG
whole foods is selling rogue voodoo for $12.99 at westheimer/wilcrest..... only a few left
GoAgs92
AG
anyone had Blue Paddle Pilsner from NB and what's the verdict?

62strat
AG
I had it several years ago.. I haven't met a NB beer I don't like.. so, not sure if that helps you any. It's pretty much my favorite brewery, well, top 3 for sure.
62strat
AG
karbach black ipa.. what's the deal with this one? I remember it came out, very briefly, but they don't list it on their website.. Course, they don't list their xmas beer on there either..

I found this
http://www.facebook.com/karbachbrewing/posts/286536708058379

any ideas? a seasonal? or just not ready for production?

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 3/21/2012 12:59p).]
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Was that the Pontificator? It was okay.
jetch17
AG
The Black IPA is not Pontificator. it was just labeled "Black IPA"

i dont know if it was just a test run for a short time, or if its planned on becoming a more available brew. Its dried up across town, who knows if theyll pull it back out.

Had a pint of it at BRC a while back, its was tasty, but probably very similar to what theyre already doing with Hopadillo & Rodeo. I dont know that they need 3 IPAs...

Anyone go try the bourbon Pontificator yet?
62strat
AG
Jetch, rockwell is tapping bourbon barrel Hellfighter tonight.. is that the beer you meant? or did they bourbon barrel the doppelbock too?

dang i've lost track of all their beers already hah.

weisse versa wheat
sympathy lager
hopadillo ipa
rodeo clown double ipa
hellfighter imperial porter
pontificator doppelbock
black ipa
yule shoot your eye out winter

haven't had the black ipa or the hellfighter.

jetch17
AG
bourbon Hellfighter, yeah yo soy dumb.
62strat
AG
dang, from the first page of this thread, posted 4/11.

http://blog.chron.com/beertx/2011/04/ex-flying-dog-chief-brings-brew-skills-to-houston/

quote:
If all goes according to plan, Warner and company will be brewing by July or August [2011] and their beers will be on draft around town two months after that.

They sure did hit the ground running. Seems like it took forever between the time I heard about no label and actually finally found it on tap, like well over a year.

Karbach ain't f-in around. 8 beers they've put out in about 8 months, with 5 being regulars.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 3/21/2012 2:06p).]
jetch17
AG
Karbach is heavily funded and distributed, No Label doesnt have the capital like Karbach.

Karbach is not F'ng around, good beers, already dist. in cans, becoming readily available on tap around Tine
Texaggie7nine
I believe Karbach was distributing other imported beer before they ever started distributin their own. So they had the network already in place
62strat
AG
yeh that link said
quote:
The team: Warner’s business partners include Chuck Robertson and Ken Goodman of Belukus Marketing Inc., a College Station-based importer. (Robertson explains that, because that company helps facilitate sales to distributors it is classified in the manufacturing, rather than distributing, tier and they can legally own a production brewery. Karbach has a TABC license on record.)

sounds like some loophole to the TABC mumbo jumbo that they are using to their advantage.
I guess, I really don't know what it means exactly or how it benefits them.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Karbach = Some professional ass beer
62strat
AG
mmmm
ass beer

ehh, better not risk a ban.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 3/21/2012 4:21p).]
sts7049
AG
this month's selections

jh0400
AG
If you want Rogue Voodoo, the HEB at Buffalo Speedway and Bissonet has a ton of it. I looked at it, and decided that I'd pass.

Two questions: Is DFH Red and White worth the money?

Has anyone tried DFH Aprihop? I asked if I could get it in a single, and the guy there told me no. It sounds interesting, but I don't really want to drop $10 on four beers that may or may not taste like ****.
GoAgs92
AG
this may sound crazy but i think i like karbach better out of the can vs on tap

Bondag
AG
Drinking sympathy from tap right now. Tough call.
King Arthur
Finally got to have the Pontificator at Flying Saucer. Really liked that one. Don't know if that's just a one time brew though.
spadilly
S
jh0400,
Re: red & white-

I had 2 bottles of it last year. Honestly I was not impressed with it.
Part of that may be the fact that I don't drink much wine. If you like red wine, you'll probably enjoy it.

As for the DFH Aprihop, I haven't had it recently, but last year I remember thinking it was better than their 60 minute, but not as good as their 90 minute. I will probably pick up one four pack when I see it soon just to throw something new into my rotation.

jetch17
AG
Bunker Hill had an asston of Aprihop a few days ago.
62strat
AG
i remember not digging the aprihop at all.. too apricot-ty..
don't care much for fruit in hoppy beers...

pyramid apircot ale.. on a hot day, is tolerable.. it's not mixing bitter and sweet.. it's just a sweet ale.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.