Houston
Sponsored by

*** Official Houston Beer Thread ***

74,480 Views | 1687 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by wessimo
spadilly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Way overdue....
Anything and everything beer in this thread.

I'll start.

Spending this beautiful Saturday afternoon sipping on some Deschutes Hop Henge IPA.
Found it on sale this week at Specs ($1.99 for a large bottle.)
Excellent. Honestly think this is one of the best IPAs I have had in a long, long time. (Better than the St A Divine Reserve).

(and no, that isn't a small glass. gotta love the 1 pint 6 oz bottles)

[This message has been edited by spadilly (edited 4/11/2011 8:09a).]
Agz_2003
AG
Bought some shiner ruby redbird today. Going to try it tonight. Ruby red grapefruit, Ginger, and beer sounds like an interesting combination.
Furlock Bones
AG
currently enjoying a SA DR 10 while watching some Serie A
Jock 07
AG
if you're a fan of deschuts try their hop trip
NorthHollywoodHenry
AG
and their Black Butte Porter
Velvet Jones
AG
I'm enjoying an excellent Dunkle Bock at Boundary Bay Brewing Co. in Bellingham WA.

That counts, right?
BSD
AG
My shipment of Russian River Brewing Company is coming in next week. I'll be sure to report back.
Sazerac
AG
Deschutes Black Butte is the best porter I've ever had...though my homebrew Caucasian Porter might be better (Kahlua & Cream). That's what's on tap right now.

I'm making 20G batches at a time. I'd like to be able to brew more, but I wouldn't be able to keep up with the supply. If anyone is interested in a beer commune let me know. I could lease out 5G kegs...I'd even take requests.

Al Bula
AG
I had some Bud Light and Dos Equis last night. When I went out, I kicked it up a notch to full-blown Budweister.
Thunder18
AG
went to the Ginger Man pub last night and had:
Smithwicks
Franziskaner
Souther Star Blonde Bombshell
Pilsner Urquell
Chimay White
Green Fairy
AG
quote:
Bought some shiner ruby redbird today. Going to try it tonight. Ruby red grapefruit, Ginger, and beer sounds like an interesting combination.

I picked up some last night. I really liked it....it will be a good beer for the summer time and those 100 degree days.
AggieMainland
I found out that Pilsner Urquell is way better on draft than from a bottle. I count that as a productive day.
phatbc
The Hop Henge may be my fave IPA too
rschoelman
AG
I had this gem this past weekend at Petrol, every Avery IPA I've had has been absolutely amazing, best DIPA I've ever had.....

megs
I tried the new Shiner Ruby Redbird over the weekend & probably won't try it again (unless it's free of course).
62strat
AG
had a left hand twin sisters double ipa at taps on friday... pretty, pretty, prettttyy good.
Echoes97
AG
quote:
My shipment of Russian River Brewing Company is coming in next week. I'll be sure to report back.

Russian River is awesome! Just got back from there a few weeks ago and brought a 12-pack home w/ me. Love their sours and of course, Pliney The Elder. Greatness, if you're ever out in the Sonoma/Napa California area (Santa Rosa specifically) don't miss a trip to RRBC!
spadilly
S
picked up some Breckenridge Lucky U IPA for this week. Heard some favorable reviews about it, so decided to grab some.

Still up in the air on if I will pick up some Shiner Ruby. Everyone I have talked to either loves it or hates it. Anyone know if this is on tap anywhere?
Stan Crowch
AG
quote:
I found out that Pilsner Urquell in Prague is way better on draft than from a bottle. I count that as a productive day.

FIFY
BSD
AG
Echoes, my wife and I were out there about a month ago and stopped in to do a flight of all the beers, except for Pliny the Younger, which had already sold out. I liked the Elder, Defenestration, and Supplication. The Blind Pig was good but I preferred the Elder. It's a fun place with good bar food. I think Freddy Mercury is bartending there!
rschoelman
AG

I don't see a 'DR11 like' craze when this one hits store shelves.....
Tom Hagen
AG
2.8% alcohol?
redag06
My grape juice has my alcohol than that.
KRamp96
I love me some Maredsous #8
62strat
AG
quote:
2.8% alcohol?
funny how this is surprising to most people, but for me, I know that 1 gram alcohol = 7 calories, so simple math shows that 64 calories is indeed in the 2% range.
I actually had somebody not believe me that MGD64 was so low in alcohol (way back when it came out, didn't have abv on label.) I said look man, there's no other way.. for that few calories, it means one thing, low alcohol.

BL55 is of course even lower.

Next up, the 7 calorie beer by Miller, weighing in at nearly .3% abv. The ultimate in light beers.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 4/27/2011 1:36p).]
jetch17
AG
if people are 'watching thier weight or calories' why even drink that water piss?

Low cal beer and the fairies that drink it make me LOL.
Dr. Mephisto
AG
Thunder18:

LOVE Ginger Man! I sit on the porch and smoke a stogie when the weather's nice.

Great little pub!
Dr. Doctor
AG
I got some Lone Star the other day. Pretty awesome, I say!

~egon
herb96
AG
found this gem at Taps the other day:
http://www.mauibrewingco.com/mbc/MBCCannedBeer.html

Coconut Porter
rschoelman
AG

mmmmmmm, yes sir
62strat
AG
YAYYY!

http://blogs.chron.com/beertx/2011/04/exflying_dog_chief_brings_brew_1.html

I love me some flying dog.. this could be good.

Read about this a while back, kind of forgot about it.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 4/28/2011 5:55p).]
wessimo
AG
Yep this new brewery sounds great.

There is a craft beer explosion going on in Houston and beyond. Hopefully most of them will be able to stay in business.
randy828
AG
My sister got me a 6 month beer club membership and Flying Dog arrived yesterday..two kinds from them...Guarde Dog was one..Porter was the other. They are chillin now..can't wait to try them!
proudaggie02
AG
Mirror Pond is my favorite Deschutes' beer. Good stuff.
spadilly
S
herb96,

i went into specs today and saw that they were carrying 3 different brews from Maui Brewing.
picked up the Coconut Porter after I saw you mention it. Great call. stuff is addicting.

They had the following:
Coconut Porter
Big Swell IPA
Maui Wheat

(plus i'm going to hawaii in june, so along with Kona Brewing, i just added Maui Brewing to my list of spots to hit)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.